Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » The Coupe! (Page 10)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: The Coupe!
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bwkelley76  Ford pictures for bwkelley76    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
SOT ...Street or Track setup. I Like it. (video/picture brightens up at about 30-seconds in) Totally worth watching...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb69grzywIQ&feature=player_embedded#!

Rear brakes are properly seated. Another great product from the guys at Wilwood!

-

[ November 17, 2012, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------
Dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty things. "RIP George Carlin"

Posts: 886 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2008  |  :
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bwkelley76  Ford pictures for bwkelley76    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So, I don't know if funds will hold up here but I'm thinking about Total Control's rack-n-pinion also. ...any feedback?

--------------------

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am running Flaming River Rack and Pinion.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by bwkelley76:
So, I don't know if funds will hold up here but I'm thinking about Total Control's rack-n-pinion also. ...any feedback?

yup, you'll spend a lot of money and loose turning radius. they were having a ton of issues with the housings warping and breaking, leaking due to the rack tube being a stress member. they have come a long way but spending that kind of money on just a rack is ridiculous. unisteer kit will give you full turn radius and cost you a lot less.just an added note anything From chris alston chassis is garbage. so many problems with shit being welded crooked not using jigs.

[ November 20, 2012, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: v-town coupe ]

Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
SOT stuff is legit, Shaun is a great guy and has done a ton of R&D I was running his LCA's and his strut rods and I'm still running his Strut rods. If you are going to Run a coil over setup run one of the long travel setups. it will ride nicer because you wont have to use a s stiff of a spring for same results, plus more suspension travel. I believe there is only 3 companies making a bolt in place of stock stuff long travel setup(long travel meaning the coil over bolts to the LCA) Global west, SOT, TCP. I know shaun was using penske for a sec and is now using bilstein's in his Coil over kits. going to a strut setup would also give you the longer travel and better ride, but thats a whole different animal. if you look the maier setup and ride tech both use the short travel with a ridiculous spring rate.

When buying front end parts for a car you care about and want to last, you have to buy moog. everything else is crap unless your buying some afco dirt track or beefy race car ball joints, etc.

depending on when this all goes down for you I may have a set of SOT front strut rods and some open tracker lowers for sale since I will be going to the new DSE setup.

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:
SOT stuff is legit, Shaun is a great guy and has done a ton of R&D I was running his LCA's and his strut rods and I'm still running his Strut rods. If you are going to Run a coil over setup run one of the long travel setups. it will ride nicer because you wont have to use a s stiff of a spring for same results, plus more suspension travel. I believe there is only 3 companies making a bolt in place of stock stuff long travel setup(long travel meaning the coil over bolts to the LCA) Global west, SOT, TCP. I know shaun was using penske for a sec and is now using bilstein's in his Coil over kits. going to a strut setup would also give you the longer travel and better ride, but thats a whole different animal. if you look the maier setup and ride tech both use the short travel with a ridiculous spring rate.

When buying front end parts for a car you care about and want to last, you have to buy moog. everything else is crap unless your buying some afco dirt track or beefy race car ball joints, etc.

depending on when this all goes down for you I may have a set of SOT front strut rods and some open tracker lowers for sale since I will be going to the new DSE setup.

Shaun is great actually, you're right. He and I talked the other day and still have an email conversation going. So far he has offered me a heck of a deal on front and rear suspension (3-link rear and sport-valve front coilover). Other than the financial, the major problem is that the rear setup is still in production and wont be ready until January.

We shall see, I'm still on the fence with this suspension. I talked to Drake yesterday and it sounds like they will stand behind the lower control arms so I should be able to get a refund on those, or at least get a new set so I can maybe sell my old suspension to someone who has a regular driver. I have customers (a dozen or so) that are running around with the drake stuff and no issues so far. Strange how mine went kaput.

[ November 22, 2012, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

So I spent last night tying up some loose ends on the interior and other Misc.

-Custom Auto Sound front kicks with speakers, painted parchment to match
-Retractable radio antenna
-New dome lamp assembly
-New sill plates

I also purchased a set of "Traction Masters" which I am going to reinforce and modify a bit so I can kick out of the corners a little harder (assuming I don't completely replace the rear suspension)

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Better steering wheel. [Smile] (Still not my first choice but the price was right) ...Craigslist $40 USED, retails for about $150 and it's in pretty good condition.

-

--------------------

kingdavid
¯
Member # 11179

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingdavid  Ford pictures for kingdavid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Car's coming along real nice great job. I have also been looking at the SOT setup for my 67 as well looks like a real solid kit and seems to get good reviews on the track. I bought an AJE front K-member kit for my 67 thats not installed yet, but haven't seen any reviews with that kit road racing so im still up in the air with what im going to do.

--------------------
1967 mustang 410W
2014 Oxford White 5.0

Posts: 305 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

the SOT stuff is solid, shaun knows his stuff and really beats on his stuff hard when doing R&D. At the shelby mini nats I got him to give me a ride in his car and I was very impressed. I know its a lot of $$$ but the DSE kit hands down is the best aftermarket suspension setup for the older mustangs, The dse stuff is pounding on R compound fully prepped race cars while just using a 200 treadwear radial. If I were looking for something to bolt in the stock place the SOT kit would be it.

As mentioned before, the AJE kit is a cool, cost effective way to upgrade the factory suspension, but in no way will it perform better then the SOT setup. a lot of the hardcore race cars that are factory strut end up going to an SLA setup in order to be more competitive. so unless you are on a budget and going to go mod motor,etc. your better off staying with the traditional style suspension with a longer travel coil over setup.

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

quote:
Originally posted by kingdavid:
Car's coming along real nice great job. I have also been looking at the SOT setup for my 67 as well looks like a real solid kit and seems to get good reviews on the track. I bought an AJE front K-member kit for my 67 thats not installed yet, but haven't seen any reviews with that kit road racing so im still up in the air with what im going to do.

Thanks, as stated above the AJE kit doesn't seem to be ideal for road racing. ...I've heard limited static camber and poor camber gain in corners. I'm not really sold on the strength of the K-member either. AJE advertizes their stuff for street and drag-racing, not road racing from what I've seen. I actually have access to an AJE kit for a really good price that a friend of mine is selling and I passed on it. ...Not say it wouldn't perform well, I'm just a skeptic. [Wink]

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Added traction bars today [Smile]

These normally bolt below the factory leaf spring plates. My plates have been modified for the Maier panhard and the wider spacing for the 3.25" U-bolts. So I decided to weld them to my modified plates. I also welded the front mounts to the subframe connectors AND the frame rails.

MOCKING UP THE REAR
 -

MOCKING UP THE FRONT
 -

NICE AND STRAIGHT
 -

A LITTLE TOO CLOSE TO THE MAIER PLATE
 -

A LITTLE CLEARANCE FOR GOOD MEASURE
 -

LOTS OF WELDING! ...PASSENGER SIDE ALL DONE
 -

DRIVERS SIDE ALL DONE
 -

Took her for a little test drive and SHE HOOKS! Zero wheel-hop and much better communication in corners on and off throttle.

[Smile] Best $100 I've spent so far.

--------------------

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

your damn near 3 link'd out back, mine as well create some beefier LCA's and get some coil overs and delete the leafs.
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

quote:
your damn near 3 link'd out back, mine as well create some beefier LCA's and get some coil overs and delete the leafs.

We shall see, the rear suspension feels awesome and I've seen some of these cars that handle great on the track with leafs. I may run this for a while and see how she does.

$2-4k is a lot of money for a pre-fabbed kit and although I could probably make it work I don't really have the time to fab my own complete rear suspension.

[ November 26, 2012, 02:33 AM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

kingdavid
¯
Member # 11179

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingdavid  Ford pictures for kingdavid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
the SOT stuff is solid, shaun knows his stuff and really beats on his stuff hard when doing R&D. At the shelby mini nats I got him to give me a ride in his car and I was very impressed. I know its a lot of $$$ but the DSE kit hands down is the best aftermarket suspension setup for the older mustangs, The dse stuff is pounding on R compound fully prepped race cars while just using a 200 treadwear radial. If I were looking for something to bolt in the stock place the SOT kit would be it.

As mentioned before, the AJE kit is a cool, cost effective way to upgrade the factory suspension, but in no way will it perform better then the SOT setup. a lot of the hardcore race cars that are factory strut end up going to an SLA setup in order to be more competitive. so unless you are on a budget and going to go mod motor,etc. your better off staying with the traditional style suspension with a longer travel coil over setup.

After doing more research the AJE stuff is more directed towards drag racing car's or cruising street car's, It's a nice set up and as you stated cost effective, But it lack's the reviews on a road coarse to back it's performance, I'm not building a track spefic car, But would like to have the option to cruise to the track do some lap's then head home for the day. I like the SOT and the TCP from coilover setup. The DSE product is a very nice peice but way out of my budget, Thanks for the advice

--------------------
1967 mustang 410W
2014 Oxford White 5.0

DEVERO2
¯
Member # 6155

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DEVERO2  Ford pictures for DEVERO2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking good brandon. I am looking for a 67 coupe. I have an Idea in my head LOL
Posts: 641 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

quote:
Originally posted by DEVERO2:
Looking good brandon. I am looking for a 67 coupe. I have an Idea in my head LOL

Thanks Paul, glad you chimed in. ..Shoot me a PM with your ideas some time if you want.

----

Well love it or hate it folks, I made my final decision and ordered the front suspension today.

Although I really wanted to try the "Street or Track" setup I just couldn't get if for the right price. I went with the top of the line Total Control coilover setup with the dual adjustable shocks. I also upgraded to the bumpsteer kit, and a manual rack & pinion.

My employer is a dealer for Total Control plus they are local here in Sacramento. They gave me such a GREAT DEAL that I just could not afford to turn it down.

All the parts will be in my hands in a few weeks and I'm pretty excited about it. [Smile]
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

[ November 27, 2012, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66_5.0  Ford pictures for 66_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats going to handle very nice! Post pics [Big Grin]

--------------------
1966 Mustang

kingdavid
¯
Member # 11179

quote:
Originally posted by bwkelley76:
quote:
Originally posted by DEVERO2:

Thanks Paul, glad you chimed in. ..Shoot me a PM with your ideas some time if you want.

----

Well love it or hate it folks, I made my final decision and ordered the front suspension today.

Although I really wanted to try the "Street or Track" setup I just couldn't get if for the right price. I went with the top of the line Total Control coilover setup with the dual adjustable shocks. I also upgraded to the bumpsteer kit, and a manual rack & pinion.

My employer is a dealer for Total Control plus they are local here in Sacramento. They gave me such a GREAT DEAL that I just could not afford to turn it down.

All the parts will be in my hands in a few weeks and I'm pretty excited about it. [Smile]
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Let us know how it works out i've been going back and fourth on the SOT kit and the TCP kit.

[ November 27, 2012, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: kingdavid ]

--------------------
1967 mustang 410W
2014 Oxford White 5.0

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Suspension and steering arrived early! [Smile] ...pics coming soon

[ November 30, 2012, 03:55 AM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Merry Christmas to the Mustang and I! [Smile]

-

[ December 01, 2012, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

TCP FRONT-END, RACK & PINION, and WILWOOD BRAKE INSTALL

The TCP rack reuses the factory column or an aftermarket coulmn, your choice. For the '65-early '67 Mustangs that have the one-piece steering box and shaft combo it comes with a new center shaft that replaces the factory one, lower u-joints, and coupling shaft to attach to the rack down below. You will need to cut the stock column so the TCP kit also includes a retainer bearing/column cap assembly, a firewall support bracket and boot.

The stock column popped right out and slid off of the factory steering shaft that is one-peice with the box. I used a little persuasion (pry bar) between the box and the column to unseat 45 years of stick! Only took about 20 minutes and it was out and on the bench.

-

-
 -

-
-
-
-

Next with the car still on the ground I removed the shock tower caps and took off the strut rod bushing nuts. This allows the suspension to droop all the way down once raised on the lift. I then removed the export brace in preparation for the TCP suspension install later on.

-

-
-
-
-

Here's the order I chose to do drop the suspension, steering and brakes this time around...

I usually drop all of the suspension, steering and brakes at the same time when I'm in a hurry. If you have access to a lift it can be done that way to save time.
Always keep the end result in mind though and DO NOT OPEN FLUID LINES or hoses unless you plan on finishing the job "the same day" or don't mind making a mess.
In my case I only have a few hours to tackle some things today, and I will be parking another car underneath this one overnight, so I'm being a little conservative.

So, keeping that all in mind I racked and raised the car, removed the wheels, removed outer tie rod ends and front drums from the spindles, and removed the sway bar end link bottom nuts from the lower control arm, sometimes these are on the top which makes for a messy removal(I promptly put them back on once the end-link was pulled from the lower control arm). I'm reusing the sway bar in this case so it's OK to leave it on the car, it shouldn't get in the way too badly.

Now that everything is hanging and no longer under stress I unseated the ball-joints from the spindles. ...Note the use of the side-cutters to remove the cotter-pins and the air hammer and corresponding bit at the very tip of the ball-joint studs, being careful not to damage the threads. This is my personal method of choice to unseat ball-joints and tie rod ends from spindles. ...The use of a pickle fork here would definitely prove death for the ball-joints and tie rod ends, not good if you plan on ever reusing them on another car. I'm not that fond of pickle forks either way though. You can hit the spindle with a large hammer also for a similar result, but I don't want to put big dents in my spindles in this case either.

-

-

-

-
-
-
-

Now it's time to remove the center brace for access to the lower control arm bolts/eccentrics. Then I removed the lower control arms and strut rods as a complete unit.

-

-

-

TO BE CONTINUED...

[ December 02, 2012, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

BOOSTED92GT
¯
Member # 8650

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOOSTED92GT  Ford pictures for BOOSTED92GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nice man, i have the tcp on the front of my 68. Gotta order or mod the cross member now though as im switching powerplants to a 03 cobra instead of a 5.0. Car looks good!

--------------------
71 f250
68 coupe, soon to have terminator motor/trans/irs

BLoWN FR500
¯
Member # 8766

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLoWN FR500  Ford pictures for BLoWN FR500    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[patriot]

--------------------
92 Fobra Supercharged - Stolen
89 Turbod Fobra - Sold
90 Lx - Sold
86 Lx - Sold
96 Cobra

I Stay Charged Like The Energizer Bunny

Posts: 1226 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

...editing

[ December 05, 2012, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

Page: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com