Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » The Coupe! (Page 9)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Author Topic: The Coupe!
66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66_5.0  Ford pictures for 66_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:
quote:
Originally posted by bwkelley76:
DOH!....

You know how you wash your car and it rains? How about when you decide to sell your car and has a major break-down the very day you find a buyer?

Looks like my 8" rear wants the last word....

Now that I've decided to start working on my 9" swap, the 8" decides to blow an axle seal, real BAD! ...Gear oil all over the r/r brakes and wheel. YUK.

So, now I'm really making progress on the 9" rear, ...out of necessity! (that and I really don't want to put a dime into the 8")

Today I ordered the posi unit, 31-spline custom length Currie axles with "Set-20" tapered bearings, all the attachment hardware, and weld-on axle perches.

For those of you that are wondering, I have a big-bearing/VERY ROBUST 9" truck housing that was narrowed to fit the stang (less 1/4" width on each side) as well as a set of crio-treated 4.11's that unfortunately have a mini-spool currently, as to why I've ordered a reworked/upgraded Trac-Loc setup. The housing is the largest/beefiest housing that Ford ever made, with 3.25" axle tubes and a v-gusset center. I will be modifying my lower plates, including the side with the Maier panhard bracket to incorporate the 3.25" tubes.

...FUN! lol

The Only thing I took out of all that was your selling it already?
+1 Dont sell it just yet! Have some fun make sure the car can perform properly [Razz]

--------------------
1966 Mustang

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bwkelley76  Ford pictures for bwkelley76    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
<<Nope, not for sale. Just funny how I decide I want to build the 9" rear and now the 8" rear decides to be problematic! ...All I needed was a few more weeks. [Frown]

...Here is an edited post that might make more sense, I was babbling a bit before....

DOH!....

You know how you wash your car and it rains? How about when you decide to sell your car and it has a major break-down the very day you find a buyer?

Haha, now that I've been plotting things for my 9" swap, MIRACULOUSLY the 8" decides to blow an axle seal, real BAD! ...Gear oil all over the r/r brakes and wheel. YUK. BAD TIMING, as I'm not quite ready to do the 9" swap just yet and I've been having some issues along the way doing so.

So, now out of necessity the 9" is going in soon, do or die! (I really don't want to put a dime into the 8" either)

That being said I've ordered the posi unit for the 9" to replace the spool that it already has, 31-spline custom length Currie axles with "Set-20" tapered bearings, all the attachment hardware, and weld-on axle perches.

For those of you that are wondering the 9" I have is a big-bearing/EXTEMELY ROBUST 9" truck housing that was narrowed to fit the Stang (less an additional 1/4" width on each side just for kicks) as well as a 3rd-member equipped with set of crio-treated 4.11 gears. I'm also adding 12.19" Wilwood cross-drilled and slotted discs to the housing. [Smile]

Unfortunately the 9" has a mini-spool currently as I mentioned, so I've ordered an upgraded Trac-Loc Posi carrier from Summit.

The 9" housing I'm using is the largest/beefiest housing that Ford ever made, with 3.25" axle tubes and a v-gusset center. The larger tubes make it certain that I will be modifying my lower leaf spring plates though, including the side with the Maier panhard bracket. Being that it was a truck housing I will be welding new pads on and removing the old ones that mounted on the TOP surface for the over-slung truck.

...So I have my work cut out for me. The next few weeks are going to be FUN! lol

I'll post pics as it comes together.

[ October 24, 2012, 04:50 AM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------
Dont sweat the petty things and dont pet the sweaty things. "RIP George Carlin"

Posts: 886 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2008  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is Jeff going to have anything to do with the 9" build?

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bwkelley76  Ford pictures for bwkelley76    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:
Is Jeff going to have anything to do with the 9" build?

Jeff is installing the posi unit, I'm doing the rest.

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

PICS!

OK here goes! 9" swap from truck to Mustang.

-

The truck 9" housing needed to be narrowed to Mustang specs (less 1/2 in my case) and had Big Bearing "Strange" axle ends welded onto it, using a jig for straightness. The old spring perche(s) from the truck were plasma-cut off then ground flush with the housing. Next I needed to weld on the new spring perches for the Mustang. ...(VERY IMPORTANT NOT TO GET TOP AND BOTTOM MIXED UP AS THE TRUCK HOUSING ORIGINALLY HAD THE PERCHES ON THE TOP SINCE THE LEAFS ARE "OVER" THE REAR INSTEAD OF BELOW) The 9" and 8" rears have a short and a long axle, make sure these are on the correct side of the car when welding everything up.

The new leaf spring perches were measured out on the tubes at 43" center to center and just marked for now. We need to set the pinion angle to factory specs BEFORE tacking and welding them up.

-

Using a LEVEL table I mocked the housing up on some axle blocks I had in the shop. I used a magnetic angle finder and set the axle housing to 5-degrees UP. ..This is the factory angle for most Ford cars (if not darn near all), including Mustangs in the 60's.

-

-

Once I tried the angle finder in numerous places and was SURE the angle was right I tack-welded the pads on.

-

-

-

-

Now it's time to weld it all up. I welded one side of each perch, and alternated back and forth from tube to tube as not to overheat and bend the tubes. And Viola! ..Perches are installed.

Coming soon are the new axles and tapered bearings, fitting up the Wilwood discs, and making/mounting the rear brake lines to the housing.

[ October 25, 2012, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FYI I used some of that VHT epoxy paint for my rearend and that stuff is pretty bullet proof for coming out of a can. bought it at my local kragens and just followed the instructions, used wax and grease remover wipes and the whole 9.
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Thanks, I'll have to try it some time. This rear is getting a laquer paint called "Orr-Lac"

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Still haven't received the axles, maybe Monday or Tuesday. I can't wait!

I limped the car down to a nearby car show today, leaky 8" and all. Unfreakinbelievably it broke a power steering line when I got there and had to fix it in front of hundreds of people and clean up a huge mess. Not the "debut" I had hoped for let me tell ya.

Haha, the joys of owning a classic!

[ October 28, 2012, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66_5.0  Ford pictures for 66_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Haha come on man you should know that they have feelings. You made her mad and she made you pay the price!

--------------------
1966 Mustang

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

quote:
Originally posted by 66_5.0:
Haha come on man you should know that they have feelings. You made her mad and she made you pay the price!

I guess that's what I get for wanting to upgrade her "rearend". [Wink]

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

HOUSING: Ready and patiently awaiting axles and gears [Smile]

-

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Axles came in today, still waiting on the third-member. ..maybe tomorrow.

If all of my measurements came out right the axles should slip right into the carrier. (crossing my fingers!)

Mocked up the brakes and everything looks good there.

THESE AXLES ARE REALLY ROBUST! They start out HUGE on the bearing end and taper down very gradually to the 31-spline ends. NICE, I LIKE! Good 'ol "Currie", they make some nice axles.

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

I had to have an access "window" /hole cut into the axle flanges so I can get to my bearing retainer bolts! (most factory axles have this already)

So the axles are at the machine shop for another day or so.

I told Currie when I ordered them that I would be running Wilwood brakes and according to popular belief they were supposed to ask me about this? Apparently it's super common with the Wilwood parking brake assembly to need the access window. Otherwise there is NO WAY IN HELL to get to the nuts to tighten the backing plates.

Part of my problem also is that the combo of the big tubes and the big-bearing housing use a larger bolt, and you can NOT put a nut on the back-side of the housing flange for easier access. There is not enough room between the stud and the axle tube for anything other than a t-bolt.

Just another delay, no big deal. lol

NO ACCESS WINDOW >>>>>>>>

-

This is what it should look like >>>>>>

-

[ November 02, 2012, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

I have my work cut out for me this weekend!

-

Old rear is out, taking a break to eat and then back at it!

-

I had do drive a few hours today round-trip to get a replacement set of leaf springs at Mustangs Plus. The Grab a Track rear leafs I had were faulty, arched different from eachother. No wonder I had the "gangsta lean"! lol

[ November 03, 2012, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

phildog
¯
Member # 1214

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phildog  Ford pictures for phildog    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice dimes on those spring perches.
capriman
¯
Member # 11659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for capriman  Ford pictures for capriman    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what are you doing with the old 8", anything good in it? I.E gears or lsd?
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

<<thanks Phil, all stock Cap. $200 if you want it, it needs an axle seal.

Well, most of the heavy work is done. 9" complete with Wilwood brakes and Currie axles is all together and installed. Next comes plumbing the rear brakes and installing the entire front brake system. [Smile]

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

[ November 04, 2012, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

Rear lines are plumbed, rear brakes are bled and work great. The gears are perfect, awesome difference in all gears under acceleration. Now I need to raise my rev limiter from 6000-6500 RPM. [Smile]

The lines came out really clean. Note the relocation of the line going from the body to the axle housing. Why Ford couldn't do this to begin with perplexes me.

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks good

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your not doing that rear end justice with the crud on the underside of your car. Time for wire brush cleaning and black paint under there.
bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:
Looks good

Thanks!

Now I'm moving on to the front and it seems as though the BRAND NEW Scott Drake lower control arms are JUNK! I have a ton of play in the driver's side lower ball-joint and a good amount also in the passenger's. My $220/each Toyo tires are wearing on the outsides badly although I have aligned the front-end 3-times now.

I'm seriously thinking about going with tubular upper and lowers with coil-overs and ball-socket strut-rods. We'll see what happens, I'm pricing options today. [Smile]

[ November 06, 2012, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: bwkelley76 ]

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

It shall be mine! [Smile]

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/download/datasheets/FCOC_DS_WEB.pdf

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

I just got back from the Goodguys show in Pleasanton, CA and I'm looking at a few other options. ...Anyone know anything about Ride Tech's front coilover setup?

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

How about the SOT setup? ..anyone?

--------------------

bwkelley76
¯
Member # 8792

SOT ...Street or Track setup. I Like it. (video/picture brightens up at about 30-seconds in) Totally worth watching...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb69grzywIQ&feature=player_embedded#!

--------------------

Page: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com