Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Project Coyote Notch (Page 4)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  17  18  19   
Author Topic: Project Coyote Notch
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRCobraSC281  Ford pictures for RRRCobraSC281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobrasvt8:
I wish i had half the amount of skills you have man, this is badass, cant wait for the finished product. What do you plan to do with it when you are finished?

Get it in a magazine.

--------------------
Project 93GT500 has started
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
88 Mach 1 Coupe MM&FF 6/14 (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

Posts: 1746 | From: Fremont, CA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasvt8  Ford pictures for 9cobrasvt8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RRRCobraSC281:
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobrasvt8:
I wish i had half the amount of skills you have man, this is badass, cant wait for the finished product. What do you plan to do with it when you are finished?

Get it in a magazine.
Nice, then sell it?

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

Posts: 1519 | From: under the hood | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRCobraSC281  Ford pictures for RRRCobraSC281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm hopeing to get a years worth of car shows under my belt. Then I don't know...still too early to say. I know for sure I'm gonna insure it with full coverage at appraised value before it goes on the road. Not going to repeat what happened to the Mach Notch.

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

9cobrasvt8
¯
Member # 11078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasvt8  Ford pictures for 9cobrasvt8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RRRCobraSC281:
I'm hopeing to get a years worth of car shows under my belt. Then I don't know...still too early to say. I know for sure I'm gonna insure it with full coverage at appraised value before it goes on the road. Not going to repeat what happened to the Mach Notch.

What happened to that if you dont mind me asking?

--------------------
2013 Grabber blue coyote
1996 cobra
1996 gt h/c/i and gears
1998 cobra vert
1998 gt h/c/i
1997 gt blown

Posts: 1519 | From: under the hood | Registered: Jul 2011  |  :
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

today I've mocked up the rear seats 1 more time to get measurements for the brackets I'll need to make to mount the seat backs in the final position. There are gaps at the sides that will need to be extended out a bit and the lower seat will need to be recovered so the white stripe lines up with the seat back. At that point they will add extra material and padding between the seat bottom and seat back. Trimmed the rear quarter so it sits where it should.
 -

Started to transfer the s197 door locks to the fox doors. I'm doing this to simplify the wiring, but also to have the PATS to work correctly and the dome light feature to work as it should.

First it's best to remove all the inner components.
 -
Next to drill or grind out the counter sunk holes. This is to allow the inner reinforcement sheet to be flush with the outer sheet.
 -

Next from the door section from the S197 you want to split the 2 sheets. There is some adhesive so use a blade to help do this. don't want to bend up this piece. Also when cutting this piece from the S197 you want to make sure it's big enough to hover the 3 original holes.
 -

Center the slot to the old door latch and clamp it into position.
 -

[ 2015-01-24, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: RRRCobraSC281 ]

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Weld the inner sheet though the original bolt holes.
 -

Now trim the outer sheet enough so that you can use the holes to line up with the inner sheet and trace over the door outer so to identify the part that needs to be cut out.
 -
 -

Now cut the outer sheet without cutting the inner sheet. Once done I added a good size tack weld on the forward edge corners and in the middle, then trim the new outer piece so it's got a slight gap all the way around and then start welding it together.
 -

And this is what it looks like for now.
 -

[ 2015-01-24, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: RRRCobraSC281 ]

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice project

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[worship] [worship] [worship] [worship] [worship] [worship] [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
His killing it with skills
Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Finished trimming the rear fender lips and now to weld up all the flange nuts for various brackets in the engine compartment and for the smog canister. Modify the Cervini hood for the shaker and Rage Gold the engine compartment 1 last time. Should be done by February.

Gonna pick up some paint this coming Friday. Just a little preview of the color I'm getting.

-

[ 2015-01-25, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: RRRCobraSC281 ]

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by i:

HE'S

This project is bad ass! Hopefully over the years I'll acquire enough skills to pull something like this off. [patriot]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:
Originally posted by i:

HE'S

This project is bad ass! Hopefully over the years I'll acquire enough skills to pull something like this off. [patriot]

First step is to start doing it an not talk about doing it.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
quote:
Originally posted by i:

HE'S

First step is to start doing it an not talk about doing it.
Kinda like what I tell myself sometime, "If you spend time thinking about it, you ain't gonna get it done. So do it."

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Started to work on the driver side door lock. I think on the SN95 i just used the key lock and transferred it to the fox. The S197 has a bit different key lock so just adjusting the tumbler wasn't gonna do it. So went to the Ford dealership and found that only the Econo Van is the only one with a similiar key lock as the Foxbody. So $90 for the new key lock and about 30 minutes putting the thing together and now I have a key lock that will work with the S197 key.

If it wasn't going to work, plan B would be to just shave the driver side key hole like I did for the passenger side and the trunk.
 -

[ 2015-01-29, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: RRRCobraSC281 ]

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Earlier I made the lower radiator support. Here's what it looks like. Kinda industrial looking but functional for now.
 -
 -

Also mounted the smog canister.
 -
 -

And started bonding the chopped up fresh air intake for the HVAP. My first go at fiberglass. Turned out better than expected.
Since the S197 HVAP grabbed fresh air through the firewall I had to reconfigure it to grab air from the cowl panel. So I was careful not to mess with the mounting holes, I separated the intake so I could rotate it 90 degrees. Then with the HVAP in position and positioned the opening where I wanted it, I used aluminum duct tape to hold things sort of in position and used Evercoat Kitty hair to bond the 2 parts where they were the closest together. Once the Kitty Hair cured, then the part could be handle. Then with Duct tape on the outside to shape the interior, I used fiberglass to form and seal the interior of the intake and then use more kitty hair to bond the exterior in placed with a lot of texture and crevices. Then use some 1" foam weather sealer from Ace Hardware and this part will be done.
 -
 -
 -

[ 2015-01-31, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: RRRCobraSC281 ]

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Thought about being creative on where to mount the computer. Some have mounted it through the apron, but it just seemed like I was fighting the harness doing this. So I've decided to keep it as natural as I can.

I had to cut this section out to keep the CPU and fuse box from hitting the hood.
 -

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice work.... Lets see it painted. Like the color!

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

There was a possibility of getting back my Mach Notch hood back. There was going to be a possibility of a trade for my uncut virgin cobra R hood for the already trimmed cobra R hood for shacker, but it didn't happen. Plus the super bowl kind of took up a day....

Yeah, these are lame excuses. But honestly, mocking up locations for the various components from a car that built on a totally different platform takes extra time. If this was a Termi swap it would have been done in 2 months. I still have to locate the ABS pump and make passages through the frame rails for the fuel lines and brake lines. Then I got a volunteer to come over to fill and sand the engine compartment. At this point then it's ready for paint.

Believe me, I'm anxious to have color on it too. I hate it when my wife refers my project as a "junk car".

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

Well the car is not at paint yet.... Almost....

Did finish mounting the ABS Pump and also the ECU. Brack lines between the MC and ABS have been bent to work. Hopefully not going to be too crazy reinstalling this once from paint. Also finished fab work for the interior door levers.

Here is a little bit of how I did it.

The cable to the door lever was the limiting factor as to the location of the door lever.
 -

Then I fabricated a bracket and welded a flange nut on the back side.
 -

Here is what it looks like with the door lever attached.
 -

Here is a quick pic of a test fit with a junk door panel. The door lever could be straighten to match the character line and tighten.
 -

Here is the new style striker. I just drilled 2 new holes and then used the same nut bracket that was used on the S197 and welded it to the inner sheet. I over sized the hole to allow for some adjustment.
 -

Here is all that is left to do before the car goes to paint:

1. Remove the Hood hinge cups and wire wheel the sealer off.
2. Cut out hole on driver fender through Scott Rod panel for washer bottle. (I tried to make the S197 bottle work, but sometimes it just not worth the added effort when the stock washer bottle and location works.)
3. Fill and Sand engine compartment.
4. Mount the Cobra R hood and modify hood for Shaker system.
5. Water proof all joints with sealer.

Then it's ready for paint. Weather is kinda sucking at the moment, but still got more to do.

[ 2015-02-09, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: RRRCobraSC281 ]

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your the man!!!

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

will update with more pics

[ 2015-02-09, 05:59 PM: Message edited by: RRRCobraSC281 ]

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

Blk93pny
¯
Member # 11387

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blk93pny  Ford pictures for Blk93pny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Let me know when ur done ill buy it
Saleenssc14
¯
Member # 7791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleenssc14  Ford pictures for Saleenssc14    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any more updates??? I'm hooked and wana see the results

--------------------
Carlos Munoz

Posts: 1156 | From: Union City | Registered: Jul 2007  |  :
RRRCobraSC281
¯
Member # 7086

quote:
Originally posted by Saleenssc14:
Any more updates??? I'm hooked and wana see the results

Patients grasshopper. Actually this past weekend, went to Lake Tahoe with the family. Kinda in a holding pattern, since the painter isn't quite ready for it yet. I still need to modify the hood for the shaker and finish sanding the engine bay. This is what I'm planning on doing today.

[ 2015-02-17, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: RRRCobraSC281 ]

--------------------
90 Coyote Coupe (sold)
65 FFR Cobra (sold)

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All the detail going into this build has me hooked on this!!! [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :

Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  17  18  19   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com