Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Is it just me or do people jock 03 cobras (Page 6)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Is it just me or do people jock 03 cobras
RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FR500's are about the worst cams for boost... the valve events suck for boost. youll get much better results with a the Ford GT/GT500 high lift blower specific cams, and my springs im selling would match perfect.

among other things, the FR500's have alot of overlap between the intake and exhaust (boost blowing right out your tail pipes, inefficient if you will...) not to mention the FR500's are designed for a higher revving motor. ie. a motor with a short runner manifold. the intake centerline is 109 on those i belive, a stock manifold you should try and stay around a ICL of ~114.

cams are something you want to do right the first time on a 4V. research, research, research!!...lol

[ June 02, 2010, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: RED@7kVERT *8850GT* ]

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK... Well after giving this topic some thought, I think you guys convinced me. I think I'm gonna put the Mach up for sale & search for a nice Zinc Yellow 03 Cobra [Wink] [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by RED@7kVERT *8850GT*:
FR500's are about the worst cams for boost... the valve events suck for boost. youll get much better results with a the Ford GT/GT500 high lift blower specific cams, and my springs im selling would match perfect.

among other things, the FR500's have alot of overlap between the intake and exhaust (boost blowing right out your tail pipes, inefficient if you will...) not to mention the FR500's are designed for a higher revving motor. ie. a motor with a short runner manifold. the intake centerline is 109 on those i belive, a stock manifold you should try and stay around a ICL of ~114.

cams are something you want to do right the first time on a 4V. research, research, research!!...lol

I hope this article is enough research for you

http://www.insideline.com/ford/mustang-svt-cobra/2003/horse-power-fords-690-hp-svt-mustang-cobra.html

Fords already produced a 600rwhp terminator with fr500 cams, heads and a twin screw.

I can also tell you have listened to Na SVT too much on corral/svtp as he pretty much wrote what you did word for word. i already have comp cam springs and upgraded valves to accompany the increased lift and ported heads. The fr500 cams are not the best aftermarket cam available, but they will be more than enough to leave your cadi-last [Wink]

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EPIK:
OK... Well after giving this topic some thought, I think you guys convinced me. I think I'm gonna put the Mach up for sale & search for a nice Zinc Yellow 03 Cobra [Wink] [Whoo Whooooo!]

You notice how right after you posted this the site took a dump!
Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:
quote:

I hope this article is enough research for you

http://www.insideline.com/ford/mustang-svt-cobra/2003/horse-power-fords-690-hp-svt-mustang-cobra.html

Fords already produced a 600rwhp terminator with fr500 cams, heads and a twin screw.

I can also tell you have listened to Na SVT too much on corral/svtp as he pretty much wrote what you did word for word. i already have comp cam springs and upgraded valves to accompany the increased lift and ported heads. The fr500 cams are not the best aftermarket cam available, but they will be more than enough to leave your cadi-last [Wink]

I remember reading that and watching the video, car is awesome and that color with some chrome wheels man Fuggettaboutit!
Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Numbers are number are numbers. I would talk to someone who specs custom cams before you make your move. In the end your gonna do what u want. Just giving up a heads up is all. I'm not saying the fr's won't make power, I'm saying that they will in no way be a good cam for a forced induction application, nor will they make max power that they could with the correct valve events. All I'm saying is if u don't have a fr500 dual plane manifold or a short runner manifold and will to rev it out to 7,5-800 rpm then u should be looking elsewhere.

And it's a caddi, isn't it supposed to be last??

Ps. Zinc yellow ftmfgdw!!!11

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

1RaW03SvT
¯
Member # 9151

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1RaW03SvT  Ford pictures for 1RaW03SvT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
epik are you fuc%&* kidding me hahaha

--------------------
2003 SoNiC BlUe CoBrA
BUILT

Posts: 2159 | From: *SVTaDDicT* | Registered: May 2009  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Numbers are number are numbers. I would talk to someone who specs custom cams before you make your move. In the end your gonna do what u want. Just giving up a heads up is all. I'm not saying the fr's won't make power, I'm saying that they will in no way be a good cam for a forced induction application, nor will they make max power that they could with the correct valve events. All I'm saying is if u don't have a fr500 dual plane manifold or a short runner manifold and will to rev it out to 7,5-800 rpm then u should be looking elsewhere.

And it's a caddi, isn't it supposed to be last??

Ps. Zinc yellow ftmfgdw!!!11

Yeah scott I fell ya man. But when you come across brand new comp cams springs and FR500 cams fot $500 you can't pass it up.

From the research I've done camshafts don't have as great an effect on maximum power for positive displacement vehicles, the real power lies in the efficiency of the blower. Cam swaps where you see crazy gains from cams are not a reality for these vehicles. With stock cams, fuel and a whipple or kenne bell these motors see crazy power numbers. So for me spending an extra grand or more for 30-50 horses from cams would be a waste when that money towards a whipple will make much more difference. However for an NA application that would be a must.

--------------------

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Sell the FR's for $500 and buy Ford GT's for $400.... I'm tellin ya......

[Big Grin]

--------------------
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _

gtowned
¯
Member # 8156

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gtowned  Ford pictures for gtowned    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yawn...
Posts: 1106 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
damn all you 03-04 cobra owners..i will see you in hell..i want one so bad

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Mach916
¯
Member # 8264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach916  Ford pictures for Mach916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

[Big Grin]

+1 you can get brand new ford gt cams for 400 or so..if it was my car i would just upgrade the spings and leave the cams stock. not worth the cost, install and very minimal gains if at all.
Posts: 1247 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

quote:
Originally posted by Mach916:
quote:

[Big Grin]

+1 you can get brand new ford gt cams for 400 or so..if it was my car i would just upgrade the spings and leave the cams stock. not worth the cost, install and very minimal gains if at all.
Yeah a cam swap alone wouldn't be worth the labor. That's why you port the heads, pulley it and upgrade the valves/springs also [Big Grin]

--------------------

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Sounds like you got it all figured out...

[dance]

a cam swap will give u more power than head porting. The stock cams can't flow what the C heads can flow. C heads are pretty bad ass heads in stock form. And if u don't plan on boosting upwards of 18lbs that all a cam swap (the wrong cams at that) and a head porting, assuming your going to have them hogged out is only going to disappoint you with very low tq numbers.

Now if you said you were doing springs, GT cams, valves... Ehh sure why not, and a simple gasket match and bowl clean up (because anything more would result in a huge drop in volumetric efficiency with an already bad ass head on a street motor). Then ide say you were on the right track. I'm in no way a modular expert, but me researching the absolute shit out of boosted, cammed, ported head 4v's, for the last 2 years... I know what's going on here lol

T it's all love man, no homo. Don't take it the wrong way [Smile]

[ June 03, 2010, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: RED@7kVERT *8850GT* ]

--------------------
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mach916:
quote:

[Big Grin]

Yeah a cam swap alone wouldn't be worth the labor. That's why you port the heads, pulley it and upgrade the valves/springs also [Big Grin]
you must like wastin money....

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Saving money actually. All this work is prep for a whipple down the line. And when I get the car back I will have spent less than 20k including the price of the car. I know even you spent more than that Damani

The light porting and bowl work being done is nothing major. So I don't plan to lose much in the way of VE. Also all the work I'm having done is recommended by shaun @ AED who has seen on a dyno what works and what doesn't. I can appreciate your advice and the research you've done, but I have no doubts in my source. The way you looked into building a high boosted masssive power cobra with your 01 is not the same approach I'm taking. The car I'm building is a street car, not a race car. Mild cams, a little port work and a whipple down the line is all I need. As long as this car makes 500 plus when I'm done I'm good

--------------------

East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Saving money actually. All this work is prep for a whipple down the line. And when I get the car back I will have spent less than 20k including the price of the car. I know even you spent more than that Damani

The light porting and bowl work being done is nothing major. So I don't plan to lose much in the way of VE. Also all the work I'm having done is recommended by shaun @ AED who has seen on a dyno what works and what doesn't. I can appreciate your advice and the research you've done, but I have no doubts in my source. The way you looked into building a high boosted masssive power cobra with your 01 is not the same approach I'm taking. The car I'm building is a street car, not a race car. Mild cams, a little port work and a whipple down the line is all I need. As long as this car makes 500 plus when I'm done I'm good

Ummm, of course I spent more than you did on your car. I bought it off the lot brand new 6 years ago [Roll Eyes] You can get over 500rwhp by just adding a whipple. I already know you will never take it to the track. your a worse driver than I am lol! I bet if you just put a pulley and regular bolt ons you would be happy with your car. If your gettin a whipple I hope you plan on upgrading the injectors, Maf, bigger intercooler etc. which is gonna cost you even more money. You should have took that $500.00 and got those parts. especially if all you want is over 500rwhp. hell, you could get that with a ported blower lol! well, good luck man! [patriot]

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

gtowned
¯
Member # 8156

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gtowned  Ford pictures for gtowned    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by East Bay 50:
if all you want is over 500rwhp. hell, you could get that with a ported blower lol! well, good luck man! [patriot]

which would run seriously cheaper than cams,bigger blower,etc.Just get a steg ported blower,upgrade your maf,h/e, and pulley it you would be tampa stock and at your power goals for the price it would cost you to install the cams and other internal parts you mentioned.

--------------------
Taking terminators off the road one at a time...

04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by gtowned.:
quote:
if all you want is over 500rwhp. hell, you could get that with a ported blower lol! well, good luck man! [patriot]

which would run seriously cheaper than cams,bigger blower,etc.Just get a steg ported blower,upgrade your maf,h/e, and pulley it you would be tampa stock and at your power goals for the price it would cost you to install the cams and other internal parts you mentioned.
^^^^^ both of these +1
Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

quote:
quote:

Josh, I'm assuming you don't know the cobra had low compression in two cylinders due to bad valve guides from the factory. So the heads were being torn down and machined regardless. It cost me no extra to install the cams and very little to purchase them. So that's a moot point. You are right however, I COULD take another route to get the power I want and will already be close when I get it back. Simply put however I'm building the car the way I WANT to, not just the way I could.

Damani man your right, I am a worse driver than you and probably will not take the car to the track. But that's not why I bought it, and never advertised it as such. I purchsed my 03 cobra because I loved the car and always wanted one. And the way I have always wanted one was cammed and whippled so that's how it will be built.

Believe that if and when I do decide to race my car, I will come correct [Wink]

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, what good is being "cammed & whippled" if you don't plan on racing the car? That is the thing that boggles my mind about MOST Cobra owners. It seems its all about having the highest dyno numbers just to have bragging rights. Isn't this the same thing that people get on Supra owners about, essentially having "dyno queens"? Since these cars are so amazing from the factory, why not just have a lowered Cobra with exhaust & wheels, that looks, sounds, & drives nice??? What good is having 550+ rwhp if you won't be using it?

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally feel where you're coming from tho man... if cammed and Whippled was always the dream... then do it.

Plus, even tho 500rwhp is your goal now... you'll have the goods for more if you ever need to scratch that itch...

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
gtowned
¯
Member # 8156

quote:
What good is having 550+ rwhp if you won't be using it?

Because the norm for cobras is having good ass dyno numbers and disappointing time slips when for most cars its the other way around.

--------------------
Taking terminators off the road one at a time...

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

quote:
Now, what good is being "cammed & whippled" if you don't plan on racing the car? That is the thing that boggles my mind about MOST Cobra owners. It seems its all about having the highest dyno numbers just to have bragging rights. Isn't this the same thing that people get on Supra owners about, essentially having "dyno queens"? Since these cars are so amazing from the factory, why not just have a lowered Cobra with exhaust & wheels, that looks, sounds, & drives nice??? What good is having 550+ rwhp if you won't be using it?

For the same reason guys put a full road race suspension on their car and never auto cross it.

Simply because they can.

--------------------

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

quote:
quote:
What good is having 550+ rwhp if you won't be using it?

Because the norm for cobras is having good ass dyno numbers and disappointing time slips when for most cars its the other way around.
This is true, if I wanted a fast car I should have built a low 12 second Matrix [Razz]

--------------------

Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com