Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » California housing prices (Page 4)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: California housing prices
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by swedensky:
Damn, when I start to hate living in the Sacramento area, threads like his remind me why I am happy to. I pay $2500 in rent for a 3900 sq ft house on almost an acre in Roseville....and same house plan sold in the low 500s last month. I plan on buying this one next year for less than that if all works out, so I hope the market rises so I can make some equity back quick!

Let me guess you have a lease with optionto buy.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im just over here waiting for El Niño to flood Sacramento.

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sic70stang:
Im just over here waiting for El Niño to flood Sacramento.

It'll have to rain non stop for months to replenish folsom dam first, all the lawns are brown except for the rich people.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
quote:
Originally posted by Blue92:
Question to those in Sacramento...

How is 99 in the morning commute and evening? Let's say from Elk Grove to West Sac.

Just getting ideas.

Depends on what hours. I have co workers that come from Elk Grove to downtown for the 730am shift and the commute is 20 or so min I believe.
If you can avoid all the disgusting state workers, its not bad. They usually get to work around 8AM to 9AM, so if you can beat them you're gravy.

--------------------

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

How is 99 in the morning commute and evening? Let's say from Elk Grove to West Sac.

Just getting ideas.

Depends on what hours. I have co workers that come from Elk Grove to downtown for the 730am shift and the commute is 20 or so min I believe.
It would be somewhere around the 8-5. That doesn't seem bad at all. I heard 99 was terrible. Hmmm
Take light rail

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

swedensky
¯
Member # 12185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedensky  Ford pictures for swedensky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 135.0:
quote:
Damn, when I start to hate living in the Sacramento area, threads like his remind me why I am happy to. I pay $2500 in rent for a 3900 sq ft house on almost an acre in Roseville....and same house plan sold in the low 500s last month. I plan on buying this one next year for less than that if all works out, so I hope the market rises so I can make some equity back quick!

Sounds like that house would be cheaper to own than rent.
It would be pretty close I think, but didn't have the option to buy it right now.

quote:

Just getting ideas.

I hate 99, I must always be on the wrong timing because I don't think I've ever gotten from sac to Elk Grove in less than 30 minutes [Mad]

quote:
Originally posted by AL STOCK:
[QUOTE]Wise words.

I would seriously look into purchasing in Sacramento area if you are already paying $2,500 for rent there.

Well placer county is a lot more expensive than Sacramento county, and keep in mind this house is huge. Three masters, two Junior masters, 4.5 bath, 3 car garage etc. way more house than I need but I only want to buy this one if I can steal it.

quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
[QUOTE]Let me guess you have a lease with optionto buy.

Not on paper, but I know my landlord and She knows my intention to buy, and I plan on using that when time for purchase.

[ 2015-10-29, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: swedensky ]

--------------------
I work at Ford!! > Best deals on ALL cars!
click here

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by swedensky:

Sounds like that house would be cheaper to own than rent.
It would be pretty close I think, but didn't have the option to buy it right now.

quote:

Just getting ideas.

I hate 99, I must always be on the wrong timing because I don't think I've ever gotten from sac to Elk Grove in less than 30 minutes [Mad]

quote:
Originally posted by AL STOCK:
quote:
Wise words.

I would seriously look into purchasing in Sacramento area if you are already paying $2,500 for rent there.

Well placer county is a lot more expensive than Sacramento county, and keep in mind this house is huge. Three masters, two Junior masters, 4.5 bath, 3 car garage etc. way more house than I need but I only want to buy this one if I can steal it.

quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
[QUOTE]Let me guess you have a lease with optionto buy.

Not on paper, but I know my landlord and She knows my intention to buy, and I plan on using that when time for purchase.

Depends on what part of sac county. There are some 2-4 million dollar homes in the Arden area.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

swedensky
¯
Member # 12185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for swedensky  Ford pictures for swedensky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
[QUOTE]Depends on what part of sac county. There are some 2-4 million dollar homes in the Arden area.

Well yeah of course, I mean in general. when you consider places like Granite Bay and neighborhoods like Morgan Creek, Los Lagos etc, the Arden area homes don't hold a candle in my opinion. Just mean apples to apples houses go for more in placer county (most areas) than they do in sac.

--------------------
I work at Ford!! > Best deals on ALL cars!
click here

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Roseville is gang territory lol. Jk

--------------------

adower
¯
Member # 5955

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Depends on what part of sac county. There are some 2-4 million dollar homes in the Arden area.

Well yeah of course, I mean in general. when you consider places like Granite Bay and neighborhoods like Morgan Creek, Los Lagos etc, the Arden area homes don't hold a candle in my opinion. Just mean apples to apples houses go for more in placer county (most areas) than they do in sac.
I'd rather live in the Arden area. I like being closer to downtown. I agree that overall those areas are nicer than the Arden area as a whole.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66_5.0  Ford pictures for 66_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Just getting ideas.

If you can avoid all the disgusting state workers, its not bad. They usually get to work around 8AM to 9AM, so if you can beat them you're gravy.
I commute from the end of Elk Grove to downtown Sacramento. I get there in under 20 mins, but it's also at about 5:15am when I leave my house.

It does get ugly around 7.

--------------------
1966 Mustang

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Pretty much all of South Sacramento between Elk Grove and Land Park/Curtis Park should be avoided, with the exception of Greenhaven, South Land Park, and Pocket (nice neighborhoods). Tahoe Park and Elmhurst are good, Oak Park and everything south is bad.

Generally avoid anything North of the American River, and West of Business 80. That includes South Natomas, North Sacramento, Del Paso Heights and everything in-between. North Natomas is generally nice though (North of I-80).

North Highlands and most of Foothill Farms should be avoided. Especially North Highlands. The closer to McClellan Air Force Base the worse it gets.

Some parts of Arden-Arcade should also be avoided. Particularly the Northern part. Areas like Howe Park, Wyda way, Cottage way, Marconi Ave etc can be dangerous. Basically any place that has a collection of low-income rentals.

Parts of Citrus Heights, Carmichael, and Fair Oaks can be sketchy, but for the most part those are pretty nice areas.

The most popular neighborhoods in the city are Midtown, Downtown, East Sac, Land Park, and Curtis Park. Tahoe Park, Elmhurst, and Med Center (North Oak Park) are also popular. West Sacramento also has some great things going on on the other side of the river. Greenhaven, South Land Park, and Pocket are the more suburban nice parts of the city, located further south.

If you don't want to be in the central city, generally the further out you go the better. Folsom, El Dorado Hills, and pretty much all of South Placer County (Rocklin, Roseville, Lincoln, Granite Bay) are all idyllic suburban paradise's.

Further in than that you have nice suburban areas in Arden (some of the richest neighborhoods in Sac are in Arden near the river), the areas around Sac State, Fair Oaks, Carmichael, Orangevale, La Riviera (except for a couple of areas around Folsom Blvd and Watt Ave), most of Citrus Heights are all nice.

Elk Grove is a big middle-class suburb. Generally a pretty nice, safe place. There aren't any ghettos in Elk Grove, but it is very close to South Sacramento, especially in the northern part of the city, so there is some spillover in crime. Most of Elk Grove is very nice and there are plenty of upscale suburban areas. Generally anything south of Calvine Rd is fine.

Rancho Cordova is a pretty diverse middle-class suburb. There are some shitty, dangerous neighborhoods, and some brand-new nice neighborhoods, and everything in between.

Just don't buy or sign a lease without checking out the neighborhood and doing research. Sacramento is weird in that we have some really dangerous neighborhoods that are right next to some really nice neighborhoods. Often only separated by a freeway, railroad tracks, or major road. For example Meadowview is a very dangerous neighborhood separated only by an overpass from Pocket, a relatively wealthy neighborhood.

Also, depending on where you're from, a lot of our "ghettos" don't look like ghettos. They look like typical suburban neighborhoods with single-story homes and relatively decent looking apartment buildings. Looks can be deceiving.

Do some research, drive the neighborhood at night as well as during the day. Ask questions. Check police records. Don't be silly.

Edit: Looking back on this, I forgot to add Hollywood Park into the nicer neighborhoods of the city. The area around Fruitridge and Freeport is a nice, quiet middle-class neighborhood that doesn't get enough love

--------------------

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Awesome write up. Thanks, man. Yeah I have tons of homework to do. Looks like we are favoring to leave this over priced valley to head north. I have until the end of the year to lock something in. We plan to rent first to determine where we would actually want to buy.
i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
El dorado hills or go home!
Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
Built4Speed
¯
Member # 13873

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Built4Speed  Ford pictures for Built4Speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What do you fellow Sac guys do about the rolled curb driveways? Really hard on my car's suspension going up and down them.

--------------------
Built 4 Speed...Built 4 Cheap

Posts: 230 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2014  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

quote:
Originally posted by Built4Speed:
What do you fellow Sac guys do about the rolled curb driveways? Really hard on my car's suspension going up and down them.

Get airbags bruh.

--------------------

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

If you wanted to you could just build some blocks or buy some blacktop material if it's that bad.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so who's moving to sac?
el dorado hills, rocklin and folsom look to be nice places to live.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Built4Speed
¯
Member # 13873

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Built4Speed  Ford pictures for Built4Speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SLOWBACK 67:
quote:

If you wanted to you could just build some blocks or buy some blacktop material if it's that bad.
The driveway curbs out here in Roseville are like running over a speed bump. City says they don't allow modifications to the driveways. Air ride suspension cost more than my car's worth. Going back to stock springs.

--------------------
Built 4 Speed...Built 4 Cheap

Posts: 230 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2014  |  :
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
so who's moving to sac?

I never did it. Stayed in San Jose paying the insane.
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
so who's moving to sac?

Bought in SJ?
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is not the market to buy right now, obviously. Renting is not even an option either in certain areas. My wife and I had to renew our rental lease for another year, at a price we don't like, but it's what we have to pay, to stay in the local bay area. I grew up here. My family is here. But we can't move across the bay even though our rent is higher than most mortgage out there. Sucks.

Sorry, that's my rant.

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

quote:
Originally posted by NorCalRydaz:
quote:
quote:
so who's moving to sac?

Bought in SJ?
No, renting near Santana Row. See how the market is in another year or so.

[ 2016-03-23, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: Blue92 ]

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Autumnstang97:
This is not the market to buy right now, obviously. Renting is not even an option either in certain areas. My wife and I had to renew our rental lease for another year, at a price we don't like, but it's what we have to pay, to stay in the local bay area. I grew up here. My family is here. But we can't move across the bay even though our rent is higher than most mortgage out there. Sucks.

Sorry, that's my rant.

so true....rental market sucks but id rather be stuck in that short term than to feel pressured to buy now just cuz that seems like the thing to do right now w/ all the deep pocket investors coming in.
buddy of mine at work lease is due to expire any day now in santa clara and is looking at a 3.5k rent for a small 3/2 in a good school district..hes now looking to buy in livermore where home pricing is reasonable relative to how good the school district is. priced at $700-800k for a 1300-1800sqft home ...insane. i dont blame ppl who are starting out for moving out of the area cuz cost of living here just simply sucks.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Autumnstang97:

Sorry, that's my rant.

so true....rental market sucks but id rather be stuck in that short term than to feel pressured to buy now just cuz that seems like the thing to do right now w/ all the deep pocket investors coming in.
buddy of mine at work lease is due to expire any day now in santa clara and is looking at a 3.5k rent for a small 3/2 in a good school district..hes now looking to buy in livermore where home pricing is reasonable relative to how good the school district is. priced at $700-800k for a 1300-1800sqft home ...insane. i dont blame ppl who are starting out for moving out of the area cuz cost of living here just simply sucks.

Yeah I am border San Jose/Santa Clara and that's what it is here. I lived in Livermore for over a year and commuted to SJ everyday. I refuse to ever do that again. Was gone from 6-6 everyday if I was lucky.

Page: 1  2  3  4  5   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com