Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 532 Rebuild thread (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: 532 Rebuild thread
SlowStockFox
Stock Fox
Member # 1081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowStockFox  Ford pictures for SlowStockFox  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looking good.

--------------------
i walk around....dont drink and drive

Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WildFire532FB:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Lucky:
No replies for questions after initial build?!? Red flag. Seems builder coulda Fd you [Frown]

Yeah and didn't recieve a build sheet either. Motor ran strong though for street use. Could have been my bad with the oil thickness though. Not blaming anyone.
I doubt the weight of oil you used made any difference.

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should start with what oil pump was on it for one.

I wouldnt put ANYTHING but a KAASE pump in or on it....

Send the other one back, Dana.

http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com/component/content/article/40-kaase-products/190-kaase-pump-big-block-ford-oil-pump.html

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93coupessp  Ford pictures for 93coupessp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I doubt the pump had anything to do with it unless it failed. I had a jet boat with a 460 using a melling pump for years and angles that boat hits and loads on the motor hundreds of hours with no problems. I think it's either a pan problem pick up problem or oil weight problem. It doesn't take very much for a bearing to get dry at high rpm. Like I said checking bearing clearances will tell you a lot about how it was built. If there's a lot of variances between bearings I wouldn't be surprised if it weren't an assembly mistake either. Mix that with some other factors it can create damage. If weight of oil makes no difference then what's the point of different weights. Different motor specs demand different weight oils simple fact thin oil in bigger clearances yields chance of damage

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

MikeD.
¯
Member # 8060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeD.  Ford pictures for MikeD.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn that was a 532?! Where the frick have I been?

--------------------
1999 FRC Vette
12.77 @ 110

Posts: 2854 | From: Vacaville Ca, 707 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya so it is a common issue with the 385 series engines the last 460 I built had a cracked pump, it wasn't a jet boat but it was/is a 4wd f350... and john kaase is the fuckin man. Go take a look at the pump since the pan is off dana. See if that's a possibility.

Ill tear it apart and let u know what the motor tells us happened. Until then its all a guessing game.and my guess is that they used the wrong galley plugs

--------------------

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
Ya so it is a common issue with the 385 series engines the last 460 I built had a cracked pump, it wasn't a jet boat but it was/is a 4wd f350... and john kaase is the fuckin man. Go take a look at the pump since the pan is off dana. See if that's a possibility.

Ill tear it apart and let u know what the motor tells us happened. Until then its all a guessing game.and my guess is that they used the wrong galley plugs

I'll take the pan off this weekend and check it out.
It'll be interesting to find out what the cause was.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Regardless of what pump you choose...take it apart and inspect it, clean it, and lube.
Ive seen a few BRAND NEW pumps including tricked out blueprinted by all but Jesus Christ himself that had metal shavings and crud in them.

Good luck Dana that sweet ride of yours certainly deserves a properly built motor.

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by season'd 88:
Regardless of what pump you choose...take it apart and inspect it, clean it, and lube.
Ive seen a few BRAND NEW pumps including tricked out blueprinted by all but Jesus Christ himself that had metal shavings and crud in them.

Good luck Dana that sweet ride of yours certainly deserves a properly built motor.

Yeah i plan on doing that and taking all the burrs off. Didn't do that with the pump in it.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

1SLW4DR
¯
Member # 11498

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLW4DR  Ford pictures for 1SLW4DR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very nice does this vehicle come with pu**y magnet (borat voice)

--------------------
03 mercury marauder

TireSmokingHooligan.

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Gonna take the oil pan off this weekend, i will post a pic of what i find.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how close was the pick up to the bottom of your pan? what if they shipped the motor with the wrong pick up.
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's what I was thinking ..pick up didn't reach all the oil..sucked oil into lifter valley then bearings went dry [Confused]

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:
how close was the pick up to the bottom of your pan? what if they shipped the motor with the wrong pick up.

That's an excellent point. Bad things can happen if the pickup is too close or too far away from the bottom of the pan.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

-
 -
 -

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

SlowStockFox
Stock Fox
Member # 1081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowStockFox  Ford pictures for SlowStockFox  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
some big ports lol. what heads are those. pull the pan let see those pics

--------------------
i walk around....dont drink and drive

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by SlowStockFox:
some big ports lol. what heads are those. pull the pan let see those pics

Tomorrow i am pulling the pan.
They are the Edelbrock 460 Performer Super Cobra Jet Heads.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Got the pan off, looks like i possibly spun 4 rub bearings, the rods are loose. Maybe more cause there are a lot of piece of metal in the front sump as well but those rods don't move side to side like the others. I'll post pics tonight.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
Got the pan off, looks like i possibly spun 4 rub bearings, the rods are loose. Maybe more cause there are a lot of piece of metal in the front sump as well but those rods don't move side to side like the others. I'll post pics tonight.

The rods are supposed to be loose have side to side movement.

Its when they wont move that you worry.

Dan

--------------------

93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93coupessp  Ford pictures for 93coupessp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea cause when you get crank thrust you don't want the rods moving with it. Hopefully your crank doesn't have any deep groves or scratches and can just take a micro polish if anything

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
quote:

The rods are supposed to be loose have side to side movement.

Its when they wont move that you worry.

Dan

Ok then the front 4 are bad lol. I can't move them at all.

Also i was wrong they are Probe pistons not JE's

[ December 31, 2011, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: WildFire532FB ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Here's some pics. No obvious damage
 -
 -

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

From where that pick up locates in the pan it looks like being just a quart low would cause some danger. But it's hard to tell from that pic the demension of the pan.

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by 93coupessp:
From where that pick up locates in the pan it looks like being just a quart low would cause some danger. But it's hard to tell from that pic the demension of the pan.

We measured it with modeling clay before putting the pan on its correct distance from the bottom of the pan.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Yea but isn't that a front sump pan? Or am I not looking at it right?

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com