Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 532 Rebuild thread (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: 532 Rebuild thread
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well I've started. Big thanks to John91Coupe for helping pull the motor today. Found lots of gold metal flake in the intake valley [Frown] Hoping the cam is ok, if not i might go to a hydraulic roller cam.
Going to get the heads ported and polished, putting a standard volume standard pressure oil pump in, and have the cam degreed.
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Dsz06
¯
Member # 9580

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dsz06  Ford pictures for Dsz06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lookin Good [patriot]

--------------------
94BLK5.0

Posts: 589 | From: SaN FRANCISCO/Foster City | Registered: Nov 2009  |  :
blue95gt
¯
Member # 9798

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blue95gt  Ford pictures for blue95gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks clean man. cant wait to have a big block myself haha
Posts: 273 | From: Antioch, CA | Registered: Feb 2010  |  :
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice lift , is that at a shop or a residential garage ?
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks awesome as usual.
Good luck with all that. [patriot]

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, you made that engine pull look easy! [Smile] Good luck on the tear down.
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Glad to see you're fixing it fast, I regret letting my car sit. Besides that is WAY to nice to be sitting lol. What machine shop are you going to?

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93coupessp  Ford pictures for 93coupessp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why a standard volume standard pressure pump? I would measure all your bearings now and see what they are at. I know there will be wear but should give you some kind off idea what clearance was. I would still stick with a hv pump but not a hp.

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am going to have Turbo50 rebuild my motor.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good luck with the rebuild Dana.

I think we should all try and guess what went wrong ( It's something every forum is know to do LOL) .... I'm gonna guess it was a bad cam bearing?

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Also i would like to add i opened up my oil filter from when i broke in the motor and it was perfectly clean so i definitely spun the bearing at the drag strip.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by Slowback67:
Good luck with the rebuild Dana.

I think we should all try and guess what went wrong ( It's something every forum is know to do LOL) .... I'm gonna guess it was a bad cam bearing?

Cam looked good from the little holes, has some wear but looked like normal wear to me.
When i find out what went wrong i will make another thread letting people guess [Smile] I am hoping there is a definite answer though. Like how would i know if i used too light of oil, or sucked my pan dry or something like that.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93coupessp  Ford pictures for 93coupessp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What kind of pan do you run? And what cylinder did you spin a bearing on?

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by 93coupessp:

Don't know yet, haven't pulled the pan but its either the 8 or the 4, i heard those are the most likely bearings to spin first.
I am running a canton oil pan.
I am gonna go to a standard oil pump because i am thinking i might have sucked the pan dry on my last run but i am more leaning to not having the correct thickness of oil in the motor. The new oil pump i got is a melling police cruiser pump

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

I was asking about the pan because if you have a front sump pan without a baffle the hard g forces at the track force oil out of the front sump. Also with the stroke you have I think a windage tray and crank scraper are neccesary If you don't have it already. And I don't know what oil you run but 20-50 should be it with a high zinc content

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
I was asking about the pan because if you have a front sump pan without a baffle the hard g forces at the track force oil out of the front sump. Also with the stroke you have I think a windage tray and crank scraper are neccesary If you don't have it already. And I don't know what oil you run but 20-50 should be it with a high zinc content

It has a windage tray, and i believe is baffled but i can't remember off the top of my head right now. i was running 10w30 [Frown]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

I think your hunch was right then probably no mechanical failure just oil. I remember on my dads big block years ago he was running some thinner oil cause someone had said that it frees up some horsepower and what not well after a few runs and the tempature outside the motor lost oil pressure. Well it was the damn oil it got so hot and thinned out. Older big blocks and small blocks aren't like mod motors and ls engines that get away with 5-30 cause there clearances are so tight and there oil systems are a lot better than an older block

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
I think your hunch was right then probably no mechanical failure just oil. I remember on my dads big block years ago he was running some thinner oil cause someone had said that it frees up some horsepower and what not well after a few runs and the tempature outside the motor lost oil pressure. Well it was the damn oil it got so hot and thinned out. Older big blocks and small blocks aren't like mod motors and ls engines that get away with 5-30 cause there clearances are so tight and there oil systems are a lot better than an older block

Yeah i heard 15w40 or 15w50 is good.

[ December 29, 2011, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: WildFire532FB ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

I think diesel oil just protects from fuel contamanents. I just run 20-50 with added zinc. That's what my buddy uses who runs a 800ci sonnys motor and so do a lot of top sportsman guys I know. Like the pennzoil with zinc or the Kendall with zinc all that royal purple and redline shit is all hoopla.

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So my questions
1) did you call original builder
2) any hints as to reason
3) going any bigger?

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Lucky:
So my questions
1) did you call original builder
2) any hints as to reason
3) going any bigger?

No call to original builder, after i got the motor i called and emailed them for a couple of questions and they never returned my calls or emails so forget them.
No hints that i can read.
Just the porting and polishing job and having the cam degreed i think it was just set to stock before.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No replies for questions after initial build?!? Red flag. Seems builder coulda Fd you [Frown]

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WildFire532FB:
quote:

Don't know yet, haven't pulled the pan but its either the 8 or the 4, i heard those are the most likely bearings to spin first.
I am gonna go to a standard oil pump because i am thinking i might have sucked the pan dry on my last run but i am more leaning to not having the correct thickness of oil in the motor. The new oil pump i got is a melling police cruiser pump

I was thinking you might have sucked the pan dry too. How many quarts does the pan hold?

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
quote:
Originally posted by WildFire532FB:
quote:

I was thinking you might have sucked the pan dry too. How many quarts does the pan hold?
7 quarts of oil

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Lucky:
No replies for questions after initial build?!? Red flag. Seems builder coulda Fd you [Frown]

Yeah and didn't recieve a build sheet either. Motor ran strong though for street use. Could have been my bad with the oil thickness though. Not blaming anyone.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com