Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 5.0 EFI in a 66 Coupe (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: 5.0 EFI in a 66 Coupe
admbmb56
¯
Member # 4806

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for admbmb56  Ford pictures for admbmb56  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Recently I have been watching a few too many "Extremely Modify Your Car to Perfection" shows like overhaulin and Horsepower TV. I have a 66 coupe with a 6-cylinder engine currently in it and I have been wanting to change it to a 5.0 EFI. I was wondering if anyone has done this to a 6, and also what steps need to be taken to support the engine (motor mounts?) and upgrade the suspension, steering, braking, and anything else that needs to be changed? I hope somebody can help, or at least point me in the right direction for information. Thanks.
Posts: 10 | From: San Diego, California | Registered: Aug 2004  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've done it a few times.

In your case since your dropping in a v8 where an inline 6 was all the front end stuff needs to be replaced.

Perfect time to do a granada disc swap.

All the steering can also be replaced with v8 stuff.

Springs can be upgraded to 620 coils.

Worn control arms can be replaced.

Steering box can be replaced.

Motor mounts are different.

First thing to do is remove all of the old stuff.

Work on the metal clean it up and coat it.

It's a very easy swap and efi is just scary at first then you get the hang of it.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
admbmb56
¯
Member # 4806

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for admbmb56  Ford pictures for admbmb56  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Would I be able to install the front suspension, braking, and steering components while I still have the 6-cylinder in the car? [Confused] I use this as my daily driver, so I am trying to figure out how to install things as steps, for weekend projects and to figure out what to purchase first. Is this do-able or do I need to change over everything at once, and live without a car for a while? Is there a particular order that you would reccommend doing things? Thanks for your help, I appreciate any that I can get.
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It be easier to do everything at once.

Or at least do control arms springs and shocks at once along with granada spindles.

Then do the steering tie rods idler and steering box.

Adding a thicker like 1" sway bar up front will help along with a monte carlo bar but those are things you can do later down the road.

Yes you can do all those things while the motor is in the car.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IMO, find yourself a $500 beater to drive while doing everything to the `66 at once [Smile]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66Str86:
Would I be able to install the front suspension, braking, and steering components while I still have the 6-cylinder in the car? [Confused] I use this as my daily driver, so I am trying to figure out how to install things as steps, for weekend projects and to figure out what to purchase first. Is this do-able or do I need to change over everything at once, and live without a car for a while? Is there a particular order that you would reccommend doing things? Thanks for your help, I appreciate any that I can get.

Yes you would be able to do this in steps. You'd pretty much have to do all the front suspension(at the bare minimum V-8 spindles and V-8 springs) and steering in one step. After that you can do your drivetrain as budget and time allows. Like Fostang said EFI isnt that bad, but if your doing it yourself it will take some time and a bit more money initally than running a carb. Hope this helps

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Let me know how your swap goes, I plan on doing the following with my 65:

Supercharged 3.8 v6
AODE trans
Ford 9" Rear w. 3:23 gears
Baer 4 wheel disc brakes
TCP Front Suspension
TCP Manual Steering Rack

My car started out life as a 65 Mustang coupe, straight 6, Ford-O-Matic tranny. I actually believe it was a 64 1/4 because the rear valance doesn't have back up lights, any other way I can tell?

Sorry for stealing your thread! lol

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Why would you waste your time with a 3.8?

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Found a few places and people that have dyno results of a supercharged 3.8 putting out 380rwhp. Better on gas than a v8. Good cruiser and you don't see it done too often.

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

kwikrob
¯
Member # 835

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kwikrob  Ford pictures for kwikrob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you change the front to v8, change the rear end too! Those 6 cylinder rear ends are shit, I know, my car was an original 6. Plus, 5 lug up front and 4 lug in the back will look gay!

--------------------
Slowest car on this board!

admbmb56
¯
Member # 4806

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for admbmb56  Ford pictures for admbmb56  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What size gear ratio should I use for the rear end? I am definately going to use a V8 5 lug rear end, and I've heard of 3.73 ratio quite often, should I use that? [Confused]

--------------------
It isn't until you lose everything that you're free to do anything.

Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 3.70's(the 9" version of 3.73's) in mine with a T-5. I like this ratio, maybe go with 3.50's if you want better gas mileage or 4.10 and above if you dont care, lol. Hope this helps

--------------------
1965 Mustang Coupe
EFI, 302ci, T-5, 3.70's.
Click for My Mustang Pics

talaposa
¯
Member # 2460

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for talaposa  Ford pictures for talaposa    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I do the conversion on falcons all the time and the mustang is the same. I like to buy the granada which you might be able to get for $300 or so, maybe more for good condition. I put the brakes, proportioning valve ,select brake lines, engine, transmission, drive line and rear end. I only have to get mustang spring mounts and V-8 radiator. The gears on the 8.75 granada rear end are very strong and with spacers the mustang (late model 8.8) stuff will fit. I got 21 mpg on the first conversion.
admbmb56
¯
Member # 4806

I want to thank everyone for your help so far....Thank You. But, I still have more questions. I've been looking at different used 5.0 EFI engines on e-bay to see what price range I should expect to pay, but I was wondering how many miles is too many on a used engine? Also does anybody know where to find engines for a decent price? Thanks again. [worship]
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ford sale section [patriot]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

kwikrob
¯
Member # 835

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kwikrob  Ford pictures for kwikrob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Try ABC Mustang in Hayward. He usually has a couple motors. 510-886-8264. he can do the swap too

--------------------

admbmb56
¯
Member # 4806

I have heard various recommendations for changing the front end of my in line 6. The two most popular ideas are changing to a Mustang II front end, or changing to a Granada set up. I am not too familiar with front ends so I am not sure if these two things work together or are they two seperate things. [Confused]

Since I need to change my front axle as well, will the Mustang II or Granada front end work for this? Thanks for any help you can give...I need it.

--------------------

Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

The Mustang II front end is a WELD IN operation and in my opinion not nesisary for a 5.0 sized motor. If you were putting in a big block or a Mod motor maybe but your not. I'm sorry I didnt mention it earlyer but check out the strut suspension conversion from fatman fabrication http://www.fatmanfab.com/05page20.htm its bolt in, you get rack and pinion steering, tilt column, and are able to use late model 94+ parts(spindles 5-lug, Cobra brakes etc). This sounds like the easy choice to me, add up the the costs and I think you will find it very competitive with the other options. Hope this helps!

Also, Mustang II stuff and Granada stuf are not interchangeable. As I mentioned Mustang II is weld in and comes in a kit available from various companies. The granada conversion involes going to the junkyard or finding a donor car, pulling spindles, brakes, etc and bolting them onto your mustang. Please ask more questions if you have them.

[ September 30, 2004, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Jimbo ]

stang bang 67
¯
Member # 4856

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stang bang 67  Ford pictures for stang bang 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Fostang:
Why would you waste your time with a 3.8?

[Confused] please don't put that in your car. not tryin to talk shit but don't put a v6 in your car.

--------------------
67 fastback
03 ranger(sold)

admbmb56
¯
Member # 4806

You couldn't pay me to put another six cylinder in my car! That was another user that posted that. I crave for V8 power! [burnout]

--------------------

admbmb56
¯
Member # 4806

I went to a shop called Mustang Ranch which is located somewhat near my house, and I asked them about a 5.0 EFI changeover. The parts guy told me that using an EFI was a pain in the a$$. He said that it takes a lot of wok to hook it up and get it working right. Is this true? He told me to go with a carbuerated 5.0 instead. Can anyone help me figure out if this guy was feeding me a bunch of crap or what? Thanks in advance. -adam

--------------------

stangnut
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well you do have to do your home work! what do you consider a pain in the ass? payin a mechanic like thousnd $$ for labor or doin your self? then the part's like routen the return gas line back to the tank weldin or byin a fittin then to attach it to the tank. fuel pump with high presure line's, wirin ? you got a bunch of option's there all got there up's an down's. i juess it's like this you whant to tinker or just get it over with! the out come i think is worth it if you want rely abilty an good gas milage , an you got to say it look's impressive!it's not as simple as it look's if your not wrench inclined, but if you are i do it
:
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

quote:
Originally posted by 66Str86:
I went to a shop called Mustang Ranch which is located somewhat near my house, and I asked them about a 5.0 EFI changeover. The parts guy told me that using an EFI was a pain in the a$$. He said that it takes a lot of wok to hook it up and get it working right. Is this true? He told me to go with a carbuerated 5.0 instead. Can anyone help me figure out if this guy was feeding me a bunch of crap or what? Thanks in advance. -adam

I can do it for you using ford parts.

You get the parts I want and it'll be done in a day. [Eek!]

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

kwikrob
¯
Member # 835

Mustang Ranch can be a little overpriced and having an injected motor is not a pain in the ass. ABC MUSTANG put one in my friends 68. has been running problem free for 3 years. Once again........(510)886-TANG (8264). Ask for Jerry. Has been working on early mustangs since they were built!

--------------------

admbmb56
¯
Member # 4806

Hey Everybody! There's been a lot of progress from my last post. So far I have:
-1989 302 5.0 H.O. engine (used)
-Ron Morris Performance Efi conversion wiring harness
-SSBC front power disc brake package
-TCP front coil over conversion
-1967 front spindles & front end (used)
-2006 Foose Nitrous 17x8 rims & tires
-SSBC rear power disc brake package (to be ordered)
My latest question is what rear end to go with? My car is originally a 1966 coupe 6 cylinder, but I am not sure what size my original rear end is. Is it a 6" or an 8"??? If it's already an eight inch I know the answer to my own question. But if it's a 6 inch rear end, then I need to know where anyone can recommend purchasing a used 8" rear end full assembly with axles & 3.55 gears?????? I've already priced out a new Currie rear end assembly and it will cost me about $2,400! Also...does anyone know where to get a decently priced rear coil over conversion besides TCP? I hope someone can help me. Thanks!

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com