Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » house loan q? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: house loan q?
moeofit32
¯
Member # 10393

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for moeofit32  Ford pictures for moeofit32    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All i know is everyday the housing market is getting tougher i went through hell to get my house so i say get it however you can....2% can be a nice chunk of cash depending on the price of the home

--------------------
95 stroked and blown cobra

Posts: 2387 | From: antioch ca | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Who was the large guy joe working at chase in sac area? Used to have some decent info before i bought my first home! Ill try and did his s/n up
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.t0es:
Who was the large guy joe working at chase in sac area? Used to have some decent info before i bought my first home! Ill try and did his s/n up

135.0 =joe
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well I have the 20% for the price of the home im looking for. The only thing that kinda questions me is that there is really like 80 to 100 bucks difference between 20% to 3.5% and in my mind I feel ether I keep keep most of my down and spend on upgrade

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by losbadgts:
Well I have the 20% for the price of the home im looking for. The only thing that kinda questions me is that there is really like 80 to 100 bucks difference between 20% to 3.5% and in my mind I feel ether I keep keep most of my down and spend on upgrade

huh? your WRONG. tack on 200-300 a month for mortgage insurance plus your 80-100 extra principal...upwards of 400 a month
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

losbadgt and do your math again.......400k house 80k down is 20 percent 12k is 3 percent 68k difference is a couple hundred dollars not 80?
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Keep thinking like that you will be in debt for the rest of your life an never own the home you're living in.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have the 20% you'd be better off putting it down vs paying pmi. Pmi is of absolutely no benefit to you, the only way to collect on the policy is the bank collecting if you don't pay. Your better off lighting your money on fire. But honestly if you are having problems understanding the difference between 3.5% vs 20% you better go back to your loan officer or bank and have then prepare some new quotes ASAP. I mean this should be the biggest purchase of your life, so you should know as much as you can first.

You do realize closing costs are another 2-3% of the sales price too they don't let you finance, right!?

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 135.0:
If you have the 20% you'd be better off putting it down vs paying pmi. Pmi is of absolutely no benefit to you, the only way to collect on the policy is the bank collecting if you don't pay. Your better off lighting your money on fire. But honestly if you are having problems understanding the difference between 3.5% vs 20% you better go back to your loan officer or bank and have then prepare some new quotes ASAP. I mean this should be the biggest purchase of your life, so you should know as much as you can first.

You do realize closing costs are another 2-3% of the sales price too they don't let you finance, right!?

Well this is pretty much my first time buying a home thats why I been asking and trying to figure out whats best. Thats why also I been saving to buy a home. But I got cut up in this whole fha thing so thats why I was in doubt.

--------------------

Blown_gt
¯
Member # 10698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blown_gt  Ford pictures for Blown_gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks like I should've came here for advice before I bought my house I was clueless at first
RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We did FHA 3% down, it was easier in our situation to be able to buy our house. We carried the loan for 3yrs then refinanced to remove the PMI and get a slightly lower interest rate.

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Blown_gt
¯
Member # 10698

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blown_gt  Ford pictures for Blown_gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RAP66:
We did FHA 3% down, it was easier in our situation to be able to buy our house. We carried the loan for 3yrs then refinanced to remove the PMI and get a slightly lower interest rate.

This is what I plan to do in the near future I also did the FHA 3% down.
RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 86hatchkid:
quote:

You can refi anytime you want, we did it to get rid of the rip off PMI. In my case I was between jobs and working as a long term contract employee. Making it harder for me even be considered for a refi. Luckily I landed a nice job and our equity in the house has nearly doubled since we bought it, so for us it was win win.

[ 2014-10-28, 12:23 AM: Message edited by: RAP66 ]

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So if you can just refi anytime you want. Let's say you buy a house now at 3.75% with PMI and by the time you pay the loan down to 80% or the value goes up to where your at 80% but the rates are at 4% or even 5%. Why would you refi to a higher rate again???? And if you can refi anytime you want, how come when everybody's house price was super low a couple years back, hardly anybody could refi unless you qualified for the Obama plan???? Lol

Stick conventional, it's the only way you can keep the low ass rate we have right now which isn't going to last forever, when your pay down the loan and have 80% loan to value. All you do then is get an appraisal and not have to refi. You know refinancing isn't free either right?

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

quote:
Originally posted by 86hatchkid:
quote:

What rate did you start at? Rates now are in the 3% range, very small room for a better rate in the future right? Unless they go to 2%, im not sure that's gonna happen anytime soon.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
to the original poster, i suggest you do a lot of reading on the pitfalls of home loans and understand very clearly the pros and cons going with the various types. it sounds like you're quite a ways from getting there.
make a sound and analytic decision on which type of loan works for you since one plan that works for someone else may not necessarily work for you.
some things to consider:
-do not drain your bank account to make up the 20%. its more important to make sure you have enough reserves in your bank account to survive 6 months in case of an emergency(i.e lost job, injuries, etc).
-pmi is not the end of the world if you choose to go conventional with less than 20% down or FHA. some FHA loans require 10 years of payment before the pmi is lifted even if on paper your projected equity is higher than 20% or whatever the threshold is. a refi will generally take care of this.
-when presented with a nice rate, look at what the closing costs are especially points to buy down a rate(i.e ask the agent what the APR is and how that compares to rate as that will give you an idea of the cost to acquire the loan). if your short term goal is to eventually refi, dont pay down the interest rate if there are points involved or if you do, find out what the break even point is in terms of years vs other loans and find out what suites you best. ppl often make the mistake of paying exorbitant closing costs to acquire a more attractive lower rate without even realizing the cost and then end up refi'ing in a few years. thats wasted money.

keep in mind, closing costs for a home about 500k or more will run you around $10k but many times will be rolled into your principle if you cant fund it. if you're truly trying to reach 20%, factor in that $10k or whatever it is.

go on trulia and talk to several loan officers to get more information. believe me, the avg joe home buyer doesnt know jack shiet about this stuff even if theyve bought a few homes or have gone through the process.
i probably learned the most by picking the brain of a loan broker i trusted and who eventually did 3 home loans for me. then again, the math and finance didnt scare me at all since its all stuff i understood.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

351w
¯
Member # 11875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 351w  Ford pictures for 351w    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Move to Texas
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
Originally posted by TEXAS:
Move to Texas

Why you don't even live there.
Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.t0es:
quote:

huh? your WRONG. tack on 200-300 a month for mortgage insurance plus your 80-100 extra principal...upwards of 400 a month
ya I agree, there is a huge difference between putting down 20% or 3.5%.

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
to the original poster, i suggest you do a lot of reading on the pitfalls of home loans and understand very clearly the pros and cons going with the various types. it sounds like you're quite a ways from getting there.
make a sound and analytic decision on which type of loan works for you since one plan that works for someone else may not necessarily work for you.
some things to consider:
-do not drain your bank account to make up the 20%. its more important to make sure you have enough reserves in your bank account to survive 6 months in case of an emergency(i.e lost job, injuries, etc).
-pmi is not the end of the world if you choose to go conventional with less than 20% down or FHA. some FHA loans require 10 years of payment before the pmi is lifted even if on paper your projected equity is higher than 20% or whatever the threshold is. a refi will generally take care of this.
-when presented with a nice rate, look at what the closing costs are especially points to buy down a rate(i.e ask the agent what the APR is and how that compares to rate as that will give you an idea of the cost to acquire the loan). if your short term goal is to eventually refi, dont pay down the interest rate if there are points involved or if you do, find out what the break even point is in terms of years vs other loans and find out what suites you best. ppl often make the mistake of paying exorbitant closing costs to acquire a more attractive lower rate without even realizing the cost and then end up refi'ing in a few years. thats wasted money.

keep in mind, closing costs for a home about 500k or more will run you around $10k but many times will be rolled into your principle if you cant fund it. if you're truly trying to reach 20%, factor in that $10k or whatever it is.

go on trulia and talk to several loan officers to get more information. believe me, the avg joe home buyer doesnt know jack shiet about this stuff even if theyve bought a few homes or have gone through the process.
i probably learned the most by picking the brain of a loan broker i trusted and who eventually did 3 home loans for me. then again, the math and finance didnt scare me at all since its all stuff i understood.

thanks man I really appreciated. Yea I been talking to a few people already and trying to figured whats best for me. The reason I asked about FHA its because I didn't know much about it and reading or asking loan officers is not the same as asking people that have gone through it. I have the 20% and closing cost but who wouldn't want to keep more money on there saving for protection. So far the rate im getting is 4.25% with 20 percent down.

--------------------

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

quote:
quote:
some things to consider:

thanks man I really appreciated. Yea I been talking to a few people already and trying to figured whats best for me. The reason I asked about FHA its because I didn't know much about it and reading or asking loan officers is not the same as asking people that have gone through it. I have the 20% and closing cost but who wouldn't want to keep more money on there saving for protection. So far the rate im getting is 4.25% with 20 percent down.
Find a bank or broker who will price match, then go to quickenloans.com and pull up a quote.

http://www.aimloan.com/rates

Should be in the 3% range bruh, but you can't really lock until you find the house.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
some things to consider:

whats the APR? dont confuse rate w/ APR. they are different in most cases especially if points are paid upfront. remember just cuz someone is offering you 2.5% that doesnt necessarily mean its better than 4%. it depends on your goals w/ the loan and your situation.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

quote:
quote:
quote:
some things to consider:

whats the APR? dont confuse rate w/ APR. they are different in most cases especially if points are paid upfront. remember just cuz someone is offering you 2.5% that doesnt necessarily mean its better than 4%. it depends on your goals w/ the loan and your situation.
huh now thata something I didn't know. Glad have u guys to help me with this. I will double check on the apr. This whole time I been more worried about looking for the right home for my fam. I though I had everything ready with my credit being great good down payment and all but there is a lot to look into. So thanks so much on all this info. One thing for sure though I dont jump into anytype of deals until I really feel good about it.

--------------------

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
some things to consider:

huh now thata something I didn't know. Glad have u guys to help me with this. I will double check on the apr. This whole time I been more worried about looking for the right home for my fam. I though I had everything ready with my credit being great good down payment and all but there is a lot to look into. So thanks so much on all this info. One thing for sure though I dont jump into anytype of deals until I really feel good about it.
the APR helps u compare loans vs just rate since there are other cost variables you need to factor in like points(if applicable) that get tacked onto your closing cost. a buddy of mine got a killer rate of 2.5% 2 years ago but when i looked more into his deal, he didnt realize the APR was like 4% since he was paying like 6 points or something like that.
the rate sounds good and all only if you decide to go long term but if you're like many that choose to refi in less than 5 years, you're probably better off taking a higher rate w/ 0 points. again, do the calculation on how many years you'll break even where that loan starts to become favorable over others. remember, a 3.5% loan doesnt necessarily mean its better than a 4% loan.....just depends on your situation and the terms of the loan

1 point = 1% of your mortgage loan=.25% of interest rate deduction. example: $400k loan to buy down .5% of rate equates to 2 points = $8k of added loan cost.

[ 2014-10-29, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: venomous99 ]

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm just in here soaking up info.... [dance]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com