Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Torque Arm on the Street (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Torque Arm on the Street
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm wondering how many of you guys with a solid live axle are running around with a torque arm on the street?

What can you say about the straight line traction? How about the ride quality (it's supposed to remove all bind in the rear suspension after ditching the upper control arms).

What about day to day stuff like jacking up the rear of the car, installing exhaust, or dropping the tranny? How much does this thing get in the way?

And lastly, NHV... increases?

Thanks,
Luke

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the Griggs severe duty torque arm, and it is a noticable difference! Removing the driveshaft is a pita! I do not like how the griggs TA attaches to the rear diff cover. Makes it a pain to access the diff! The MM TA looks to be a different design and does not attach to the rear diff cover. It is street friendly, just watch out for those speed bumps.

[ August 17, 2011, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: forced331 ]

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My friend has a Griggs torque arm on his 04. That thing, along with his panhard bar, has made the car a whole different animal. It handles a hell of a lot better compared to stock and is way more predictable (it's a little bit harder to get it to "swang em"). Ride quality - I can't really tell compared to stock. I don't think it rides any different, but I'm not the one daily driving his car. Don't have any experience with dropping the tranny, but he had to have his Bassani catback and x-pipe completely custom modified to fit with everything in there.

If you're looking for a better answer, I guess I can always hit him up tomorrow and ask. All I know is I want to get a Griggs or MM kit on my 94. Hope this helps some. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
fastertoys1
¯
Member # 5270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fastertoys1  Ford pictures for fastertoys1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's a amazing peice but only works to it's potential with the pan hard bar. Very noticeable straight line traction. Speed bumps and steep drive was area pain!!!
But it's money well invested.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
I'm wondering how many of you guys with a solid live axle are running around with a torque arm on the street?

What can you say about the straight line traction? How about the ride quality (it's supposed to remove all bind in the rear suspension after ditching the upper control arms).

What about day to day stuff like jacking up the rear of the car, installing exhaust, or dropping the tranny? How much does this thing get in the way?

And lastly, NHV... increases?

Thanks,
Luke

What can I say about, hmmmm...DO IT LUKE!

I had this same conversation with Dustin (Epik)a while back when he still had his Mach 1. I love my MM setup and from what I can tell it works TITS!

1. straight line traction: I can honestly say that the T/A really plants the rearend. When I had my stock setup with just MM LCA's, the rear would get swirly with my 430's. After installing the PHB/TA setup, the rear significantly improved. On hard launches it relaly stays straight, and when it "seems" to want to fishtail, the setup always catches it and corrects it back into a straight line. It works just like MM says it should!

2. Ride quality: I don't know if comfort really improves, but I can honestly say that it's not bad at all. I ran the PHB/TA setup with conventional sprigs for a few months and it was fine. My rear springs were a bit soft and I was running crappy Tokico Illumina shocks so the rearend would come down quite a bit when hitting big dips in the road, but when I had the proper TA springs and Bilsteins on my 95 cobra it worked great for me. The correct rear springs (I suggest H&R Super Race for the street - the white ones) paired with a good set of shocks (I prefer Bilsteins), the ride quality is very DD'able. I now have coilovers on all four corners and the ride quality seems a bit more stiff. It's definitely great for the type of driving I use the car for, but I'd recommend conventional springs for the street.

3. Day to day stuff: The PHB/TA setup definitely gets in the way of jacking the car up in the rear, but it is still possible. If the car is lowered (which your's is) and you have the TA, you'd most likely need a low profile jack. I just roll my rear wheels onto a piece of 1" thick wood and it gets the car high enough to allow my non-low profile jack to get under the TA. I still jack it up underneath the TA but since it's at an angle, you'll just need to be careful and go up slowly.

You'll also need to get your X/H-pipe modified to fit the TA. I've been able to remove my exhaust from the car without removing the TA so removal isn't an issue. I've never dropped the tranny so I can't tell you whether the TA makes it more difficult or not.

As mentioned above, swapping driveshafts is more difficult with the TA in place, but I did it without removing the TA so it's doable. Its not like you'll be swapping DS's all the time anyways!

4. NHV: what does that stand for???

[ August 17, 2011, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

fastertoys1
¯
Member # 5270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fastertoys1  Ford pictures for fastertoys1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lol I couldn't answer about NHV cause I don't know what it meant either?
Must be something he picked up from corral.net lol

SSF 50
¯
Member # 7219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SSF 50  Ford pictures for SSF 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i was jus wondering the same thing, does it really make a huge difference wit traction? & when yall say u have 2 get the exust custom u mean just the tail pipe setup or??

[ August 17, 2011, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: SSF 50 ]

--------------------
Never Ending List of 50z!!

"BAY AREA STUNNAZ"
Dude that 5.0 is not a 5.0 no way bro. It has to have a diff motor.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SSF 50:
i was jus wondering the same thing, does it really make a huge difference wit traction? & when yall say u have 2 get the exust custom u mean just the tail pipe setup or??

yes, it makes a night and day difference for traction and rearend control/stability. As for the exhaust, there's usually two things that need to be modified:

1. the H/X-pipe needs to be cut and modified to fit the torque arm's cross member attachment on the MM torque arm

2. the tail pipes "usually" need to be cut and modified to fit with the panhard bar (which is required if you run a torque arm). You can run dumps and avoid this modification.

--------------------

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Between the costs, hassles of installs, inconveniences of having the TA/PB get in the way of removal of other things, and ground clearance, the jury is still out on this one...

Ian, perhaps a ride in your car would change my mind, lol.

NHV = Noise, Harshess, Vibration.

fastertoys1
¯
Member # 5270

Don't forget subframe connectors are required before install of the torque arm .
Sydways: mentioning the modifying of the exhaust just reminded me of all the head aches I went through . It's a pricey peice to install not to mention to buy.
TA- $400-600 (used-new) + 200-300 install
SFC $140. + 120 install
Modify exhaust $ 200
not to mention the PHB 200-350 (used-new) + 150 install

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Between the costs, hassles of installs, inconveniences of having the TA/PB get in the way of removal of other things, and ground clearance, the jury is still out on this one...

Ian, perhaps a ride in your car would change my mind, lol.

NHV = Noise, Harshess, Vibration.

Yea man, I'll take you out on a ride...or better yet, meet me at Infineon next month and take a ride along with me [Big Grin]

NHV: the only noise/vibration that you'll get in addition to what you may already have is that you'll be eliminating the rubber connecting points from the UCA's for solid connecting points...so if you already had/have some kind of noise or vibration, it will be more prominent now. The TA doesn't make the car any more harsh than it may already be as long as you have the correct rear springs rated for the TA and good shocks.

I hear you on the issues you may encounter, but everything is still doable with the TA. I'm not mechanic, but even I can manage to do what I need to do under the car with the PHB/TA in place. Also, I live in a community where there are several speed bumps leading to my house and I dont get any scraping issues...my exhaust scrapes, but that isn't due to the TA. If you are serioulsy interested in getting one installed, I know a guy in Redwood city who did my 95and 98 cobras for a VERY reasonable price.

Fastertoys can vouch for Lupe too [patriot]

--------------------

fastertoys1
¯
Member # 5270

I have a friend that i believe took Dustin for a ride and helped convince him to buy the set up.
His mach 1 car is equiped with 90% of the MM catalog and he just completed a cobra swap motor built by aed I
Sure hed ove to give you a ride.

wichoms4
¯
Member # 10900

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wichoms4  Ford pictures for wichoms4    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the f-body camaros have that style rear end. love how it rides in my car. i have umi LCA's, umi torque arm n panhard bar.

--------------------
1998 CAMARO SS

Anyone can shift an auto, but not too many can bang gears...

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
drove a trq arm/panhard bar car..anddd boyy am i jealous..

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Big difference, never drove with it on the street as it was a "track car"

A Shot of the car on the ground, Griggs P/H T/A

-

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Posts: 609 | From: Campbell, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BIzKitBrAIn:

-

have youuu been doing donuts? [Razz] [patriot]

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Jaejae, I don't think you want one of these for donuts.

--------------------
Stangless

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 707notchback jaejae:
quote:

-

have youuu been doing donuts? [Razz] [patriot]
LMAO no..... Sticky Kuhmo Road race tires.... just driving off the trailer and int to the driveway accumulated all those rocks.

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

quote:
Originally posted by 707notchback jaejae have youuu been doing donuts? ]
In case you were wondering... this is that car

-

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
quote:

-

Hey BizKit...what happened to that car??? You still go it/is that the blue/yellow one you're racing now?

--------------------

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:
quote:

-

Hey BizKit...what happened to that car??? You still go it/is that the blue/yellow one you're racing now?
Unfortunatly I had to sell this one in a divorce, the guy who bought it took it to one even at Laguna and blew the motor. He replaced it with a a decent crate motor and the car's been sitting collecting dust ever since. Apparently it's his MO when it comes to car projects. Buys em works on em for a bit then the sit and he moves on. I tried to buy it back from him but he wouldn't sell (why I got thw yellow and blue one now, which I'm thinking of selling and getting a spec Miata)

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have the MM ta/phb setup on my coupe, along with MM adj lca's and koni shocks, with MM TA springs.

it hooks like crazy in a straight line, people have done 1.3 60' on the MM ta/phb setup to give you an idea.

no scraping, exhaust swaps don't take any longer, I don't jack from the diff anyways so jacking the car up isn't any different for me.

the car rides better, sticks better, and is more predictable compared to the stock 4 link design.

I don't notice any increase in NVH at all, but the whole car is lined with peel `n seal (dynamat extreme equivalent), and I run a dynomax super turbo catback, all I can really hear is the procharger.

[ August 17, 2011, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've removed and installed my trans several times with the TA and a DS safety loop. It probably takes 10 minutes longer. The thing you have to watch out for on the street are high crowns or ruts in the road. Back when I used to drive my car on the street I did scrape the TA on a high spot between two ruts on the freeway.
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Jaejae, I don't think you want one of these for donuts.

Maybe Jaejae is graduating and wants to do more than just drive in circles [Big Grin]

I think most of us all enjoyed yum yums at one point in our lives [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Sydewayz_Stan
¯
Member # 10217

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydewayz_Stan  Ford pictures for Sydewayz_Stan  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its some pretty fun circles

some of us out here dont wanna grow up LoL

[ August 17, 2011, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: sydewayzLX50 ]

--------------------
-90 Vert-SOLD
-91 Notch-SOLD
-2000 Explorer 5.0-SOLD
-72 Maverick-SOLD
-2004 GT, vortech V2 si, 10 psi-
-2002 F150 supercrew-

Posts: 3432 | From: 707 vallejo/richmond 510 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  :

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com