Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Torque Arm on the Street (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Torque Arm on the Street
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BIzKitBrAIn:
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 707notchback jaejae have youuu been doing donuts? ]
In case you were wondering... this is that car

-

Hey BizKit...what happened to that car??? You still go it/is that the blue/yellow one you're racing now?
Unfortunatly I had to sell this one in a divorce, the guy who bought it took it to one even at Laguna and blew the motor. He replaced it with a a decent crate motor and the car's been sitting collecting dust ever since. Apparently it's his MO when it comes to car projects. Buys em works on em for a bit then the sit and he moves on. I tried to buy it back from him but he wouldn't sell (why I got thw yellow and blue one now, which I'm thinking of selling and getting a spec Miata)
Damn, now that sucks! Sorry to hear that you had to give it up. That's pretty shitty that the guy won't sell your old car back to you [Embarrassed] PM sent BTW [Wink]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sydewayzLX50:
its some pretty fun circles

some of us out here dont wanna grow up LoL

I remember doing fun circles on my Big Wheel when I was 5 [Eek!]

Aside from that, the Torque Arm is an amazing thing on a solid rear axle when it's set up right with shocks/springs.

--------------------
If you can't walk and chew gum at the same time, don't walk.

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
quote:

Aside from that, the Torque Arm is an amazing thing on a solid rear axle when it's set up right with shocks/springs.

+1 it truly is.... I remember the first article I read on the Griggs T/A and it was on this SCCA autocrosser that had it installed and there was photos of his car pulling both front tires off the ground coming out of the last turn on to the straight section. It was AMAZING

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR
07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Posts: 609 | From: Campbell, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIzKitBrAIn  Ford pictures for BIzKitBrAIn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra7:
quote:

+1 it truly is.... I remember the first article I read on the Griggs T/A and it was on this SCCA autocrosser that had it installed and there was photos of his car pulling both front tires off the ground coming out of the last turn on to the straight section. It was AMAZING
It was somthing like this, his rears weren't soo laterally loaded like in the pic below but both fronts were off the ground as high as this

-

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR

Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the torque arm is the best thing you can do for your solid axle car, as for dd use i would lean toward mm's torque arm as it is beefier than griggs piece,imo griggs is more geared toward track duty where keeping weight down is important,

and fyi you have to run a phb wit a torque arm. and its reccomended not to mix n match brands for optimum geometry.

and as for "swangin" n gettin sideways,it depends on the setup, dan pina "Drift patrol" runs a griggs torque arm in his fox and swears by it.

bottom line its guna make your car perform better in any situation weather its autox, drag or drift, and depending on what the rest of the car is set up for. if you call MM and tell them exacty what you wana do with the car they will tell you whats best for your needs and can answer any question you have about suspension, (thats what i did) [Wink] and they helped save me money too [Big Grin]

[ August 17, 2011, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: sneakyfox90 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

cobra_302_stang
¯
Member # 7257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobra_302_stang  Ford pictures for cobra_302_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you need help let me know i'll be more than happy to help you with any questions you have. I'll take you out for a ride in my car so you can see how it performs. [Cool] It all depends on what you want to use the car for. I drive my car everyday and open track it and never look back. But just for your information on the street with that setup it will never reach its limit like on the track.

--------------------
~HighSpeed Motorsports~

Posts: 416 | From: Redwood city | Registered: Nov 2006  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got the Griggs rear Torque arm, P/H & coilover setup on my car. One of the best things I've EVER done to my Fox Body! IMO, Griggs is second to none [patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

BIzKitBrAIn
¯
Member # 4018

quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
I've got the Griggs rear Torque arm, P/H & coilover setup on my car. One of the best things I've EVER done to my Fox Body! IMO, Griggs is second to none [patriot]

too bad they filed chapter 11, no more griggs

--------------------
89 LX Track Whore
08 Saturn Aura XR

gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
geta a torque arm and say good bye to nose dive when you slam on the brakes at 120+..

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the ta and phb in my coupe because of the torn uca and now the car drive so much better on the street and launches hard the trans had to be removed and wasn't to bad and as far as my x pipe it was modified to fit under the cross bar that links the two sub frame connectors and yes over extreme speed bumps the ta scrapes but as far as dd and handling I would chose a 3 link set up over the traditional 4 link set up

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
JBeezy53
CAFords OG
Member # 3960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBeezy53  Ford pictures for JBeezy53    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well looks like I may be looking into a TA and PHB for the coupe soon. Has anyone used the Global West kit?

--------------------
89 Gt
98 Cobra
88 Notch
05 GSXR 750 Blk/Yel

Posts: 1782 | From: Sacramento, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:

no more griggs
Even worse, you are mis-informed...... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

JBeezy53
CAFords OG
Member # 3960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBeezy53  Ford pictures for JBeezy53    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well thanks to this thread I've wasted a couple work hours researching TA and PHB. I'm on a Corral post from 2007 and guess who was very active in it........ Luke87GT.

--------------------
89 Gt
98 Cobra
88 Notch
05 GSXR 750 Blk/Yel

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hahahaha^^^^^Damn it takes that long to make a decision lmao

--------------------
Daniel/50Reasons

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JBeezy53:
Well thanks to this thread I've wasted a couple work hours researching TA and PHB. I'm on a Corral post from 2007 and guess who was very active in it........ Luke87GT.

Haha, that was back when I had another car, my 93 coupe... It pretty much had everything but a TA.

That was a weekend toy, this is a daily driver now.

Anyway, here is the previous car (Griggs front, MM rear minus TA)

-

-

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow^^^^ nicee.

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Maximum motorsport set up
 -

[ August 19, 2011, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: 50Reasons ]

--------------------
Daniel/50Reasons

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:
Maximum motorsport set up
 -

Thats my setup minus the adjustable sway bar...is that your car???

--------------------

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for all the insight gentlemen.

One other order of business... Probing around google, I see the that TA/PHB combo weighs about 59lbs total. Each stock upper control arm weighs what, maybe 3-4lbs? So the TA/PHB combo adds about 50lbs for reference.

A tubular front suspension will remove about that much if I recall (assuming you use MM)

--------------------
Stangless

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:

One other order of business... Probing around google, I see the that TA/PHB combo weighs about 59lbs total. Each stock upper control arm weighs what, maybe 3-4lbs? So the TA/PHB combo adds about 50lbs for reference.

A tubular front suspension will remove about that much if I recall (assuming you use MM)

But you gotta remember...thats an extra 50lbs. where it's needed too [Wink] That extra weight helps keep the mustang's swirly ass end planted.

--------------------

Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

lol ^^^ +1000

the perfomance gained far out weighs the extra 50lbs

[ August 19, 2011, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: sneakyfox90 ]

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

JBeezy53
CAFords OG
Member # 3960

quote:

They say the tubular up front saves about 40 lbs or so. So you'd end up shifting 40 lbs to the rear and adding 10 lbs in a good location all while gaining a hell of a lot more traction. Seems well worth it to me.

--------------------
89 Gt
98 Cobra
88 Notch
05 GSXR 750 Blk/Yel

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Actually, looking at the MM site, I notice that if you remove the upper control arms, 6lbs dogbone weight, quad shocks, quad shock brackets, and HW, it removes about 25lbs and you stick 59lbs back on. So the total gain is 34lbs which isn't bad at all...

--------------------
Stangless

JBeezy53
CAFords OG
Member # 3960

quote:
Actually, looking at the MM site, I notice that if you remove the upper control arms, 6lbs dogbone weight, quad shocks, quad shock brackets, and HW, it removes about 25lbs and you stick 59lbs back on. So the total gain is 34lbs which isn't bad at all...

True but on both my 5.0s all that is left back there is the UCAs so I wasn't taking that other stuff into account.

--------------------
89 Gt
98 Cobra
88 Notch
05 GSXR 750 Blk/Yel

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Actually it's 34lbs of unsprung weight which is not the greatest. But, the handling improvement trumps the weight penalty. A lot of high end mustang race cars use a custom 3 link which is a lot lighter than a TA.

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com