Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Do you make over 60K? What job do you have? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Do you make over 60K? What job do you have?
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So who in here makes over 60k? What do you guys do for a living? Just trying to get ideas in what direction to go towards since I might be going back to school. I'm currently an unemployed union sheet metal worker [Big Grin]
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am a programmer and make well over 60k. Word of advice dont have 5 kids if you want to hold onto that...lol.

But it is a very good career and a very future promising one. With all the dependancy on webapps, mobile device apps and the fusion of TV and Web I stay busy with new things to learn and apply. And truth be told you really do not need a degree to get in the door. You just need demonstrated know-how.

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am a telecommunications engineer and I make close to 100k.

Having 5 kids is a great way to save on the ridiculous taxes you will start paying.

Another way to make more money is put your wife to work! lol

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Biotech industry is where its at! From what I've seen, its one of the only fields that hasn't really ben affected by the recession...it just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

OR...you can be a Nurse. Thats what my wife does and they can easily rake in $100k +

[ January 05, 2010, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

threethirty1
¯
Member # 7814

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for threethirty1  Ford pictures for threethirty1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have no interest in perusing a college degree, then I suggest joining a union, like steel framing, drywall, pipe fitter etc..

--------------------
1987 Black GT
factory zero option car

bsaleens281
¯
Member # 5343

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bsaleens281  Ford pictures for bsaleens281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get yourself into healthcare. I started at a hospital when I got out of highschool. I started in the basement distributing supplies and started out at $19 a hour and that was in 2000. I worked hard and showed I was dependable and now Im a tech making well over double 60k a year. I have always noticed people that are willing to work hard and do all the bullshit no one else wants to do in a job get the farthest.

Like I said my advice is get into healthcare, its one of the only fields that isnt going under with all other careers. Thats if Obama doesnt mess it up with socialized healthcare. Good luck to you in the future

--------------------
STALLIONS original

Posts: 113 | From: Mountain View | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
engineer here as well in the semiconductor field...going on 7 years. talking about salary is taboo but i will say depending on which type of discipline you choose you should be raking in 6 figures after a few years of work.
6 figures these days dont mean shit anyways so by no means will you feel rich. lol

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
Having 5 kids is a great way to save on the ridiculous taxes you will start paying...

LMAO...I dont think tax break vs 5 kids balance out.....hahaha.

And yea my wife is a nurse and that is a good field as well. They always on strike for more pay. And they always win!! She also makes well over 60k.

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea well my wife doesnt work anymore and I dont make quite 100K so I am always broke.

I think you should have posted for those making 100k+ what do you do.

Peace.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Also I read something shocking about the bay area about a year ago. An article stated that 65k is considered poverty level in most areas in the bay. That is absurd!
90gtvert
¯
Member # 8697

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtvert  Ford pictures for 90gtvert    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I make well over 50k a year. I am an Engineer in the wireless field, and co-owner of our current venture.

Mike

--------------------
90 GT Vert
93 GT

http://www.110octanephotography.com

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
Also I read something shocking about the bay area about a year ago. An article stated that 65k is considered poverty level in most areas in the bay. That is absurd!

i believe that for sure cuz looking at what kind of buying power u have at that income, which is next to nil, ud be left looking for a home in hayward, oakland or san leandro, etc in a less desirable hood.

[ January 05, 2010, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: venomous99 ]

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NorCalRydaz:
So who in here makes over 60k? What do you guys do for a living? Just trying to get ideas in what direction to go towards since I might be going back to school. I'm currently an unemployed union sheet metal worker [Big Grin]

your in a good local,make the best of it, you a j-man or apprentice? let me ask you this. what other person in this thread can work 7 months a year make 70-80k and take off 5 months w full benefits?
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

Yup. But I think that is combined income not personal income, because if you make over $80k combined income then you are considered wealthy. But this was some time ago I heard this. I think now if you even have a job you're considered wealthy
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

i believe that for sure cuz looking at what kind of buying power u have at that income, which is next to nil, ud be left looking for a home in hayward, oakland or san leandro, etc in a less desirable hood.
Ill never move back to the bay because of that. We bought our first house back in like 99 in Stockton. 140k got us 4 br 3.5 bath and 2500 sq ft. That wouldnt buy a 1br condo in the hood in Oakland.

Back to topic, choose a career that is plentiful in your area or a area you wouldn't mind relocating to.

5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

what you read is bs.....proof below
nice house oakley/brentwood=200k=1450 a month
utils 300
car 400
gas/food 700
3000 a month 36k per year with abouth 20gs left over after taxes for what ever, i dont know anyone on poverty with a 5bed house and new whips lol its all how you budget/and how much debt you have

NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0-srt-4:
quote:

your in a good local,make the best of it, you a j-man or apprentice? let me ask you this. what other person in this thread can work 7 months a year make 70-80k and take off 5 months w full benefits?
I'm a 3rd year apprentice right now. You know how it is once you get laid off you start thinking of why you didn't continue in school.lol. Just looking at what options of work I have that doesn't require me to get hella dirty.

[ January 05, 2010, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: NorCalRydaz ]

RODRIGUEZ
¯
Member # 9104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RODRIGUEZ  Ford pictures for RODRIGUEZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any police officers on this board?

All you have to have is a clean record, clean piss, clean DMV, 6 months in the academy and bam you get pretty close to 6 figures. Easily over 100k with a little overtime.

And they I don't see that trade going down the pipe any time soon...

t top freak
¯
Member # 6269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for t top freak  Ford pictures for t top freak  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
any job in healthcare will get you that. and the job market is going to keep rising until the world ends.

but honestly, bust you ass in any job and you can make that kind of money.
my old shift leader at taco bell (worked there when i was 16) now runs the place and pulls in a lot more then 60

--------------------
1994 cobra - sold!
1986 t top gt - parted out and sold!
on the hunt for another

Posts: 1023 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm a 3rd year apprentice right now. You know how it is once you get laid off you start thinking of while you didn't continue in school.lol. Just looking at what options of work I have that doesn't require me to get hella dirty.
just finish youll always have that card. what school you go to the valley?
RODRIGUEZ
¯
Member # 9104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RODRIGUEZ  Ford pictures for RODRIGUEZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It would be nice if you guys would ALSO post what it took to get a job in the fields you guys are in.

Also seeking what to do in school so this thread is very interesting to me, thanks.

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

utils 300
car 400
gas/food 700
3000 a month 36k per year with abouth 20gs left over after taxes for what ever, i dont know anyone on poverty with a 5bed house and new whips lol its all how you budget/and how much debt you have

No car insurance, mobile phone, cable tv or sat.,?

$700 on food AND gas? If you eat roman and drive a moped.

Property tax?

$300 on utilites? Like water, gas, electric, garbage? I don't know about $300!

If you are single on 36k then maybe

RODRIGUEZ
¯
Member # 9104

quote:
Originally posted by t top freak:
any job in healthcare will get you that. and the job market is going to keep rising until the world ends.

but honestly, bust you ass in any job and you can make that kind of money.
my old shift leader at taco bell (worked there when i was 16) now runs the place and pulls in a lot more then 60

Daaaamit, I never thought that working at Taco Bell would get you anything over 30k a year...
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pay is very deceiving. Before I went back to school for post grad I could pull in over 100k but I was on salary and would put in a minimum 60+ hour work weeks including Saturdays every week. Traveled two weeks out of the month and would clock in 80hr weeks easily.

Lots of dead lines, high stress, and work that mentally tired you out. If you calculated the amount of hours I put in I didn't make very much hourly. Hourly I would prob have the same pay as next guy.

I would be jealous to see who makes a minimum of 30 bucks hourly and only works 40 hour weeks.

[ January 05, 2010, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: essasin ]

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

utils 300
car 400
gas/food 700

It did say "most". And you left out a lot of expenses. And you proposed an ideal loan situation and I don't consider Oakley/Brentwood the bay. I'll see if I can find the article.

Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com