Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » eibach (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: eibach
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are eibach pro kit springs worth the change performance wise? what about the sportline? the thing is i am considering buying them used and am not sure if it is worth it for the corners. and also how much would be a good price to offer the guy? thanks a lot. [patriot]

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SHKER  Ford pictures for 03SHKER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Prokit doesn't drop nearly as much as the Sportlines. Offer him 100 bux, but if you're going for cornering, these wouldn't be the best springs for you.

[ June 29, 2005, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: 03SHKER ]

--------------------
chris@apexmotorsports.com
2555 Lafayette Blvd. Suite #122
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ty, do you know any one selling hr race or super sport springs?

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SHKER  Ford pictures for 03SHKER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We can get them here at the shop.

--------------------
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

used?

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Nope

--------------------
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First, Sportlines are crap for Road Racing. The springs rates are too soft, thats why it lowers your car more. Lower isn't better, especially if you are giving up in firmness of the spring. Personally, I wouldn't waste money using a regular drop spring for any kind of track event. You are better off staying stock until you can afford to do it correctly and go coilover. You loose more then you gain in just a straight drop. Coilovers can be more expensive yes, but being able to get the correct spring rates for the car is so much more important then just dropping it. Problems associated with incorrect or too low of springs rates can be unneeded body roll, poor wieght transfer (this can cause the car to come around on you under breaking), and much more. Alot of shops just want you to buy what they got and don't offer any real reason of why, in my opinion ask people who actually race, but are not sponsored by suspension companies, or performance shops. You will get alot better reasoning in why to use some parts over others. [patriot]

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
First, Sportlines are crap for Road Racing. The springs rates are too soft, thats why it lowers your car more. Lower isn't better, especially if you are giving up in firmness of the spring. Personally, I wouldn't waste money using a regular drop spring for any kind of track event. You are better off staying stock until you can afford to do it correctly and go coilover. You loose more then you gain in just a straight drop. Coilovers can be more expensive yes, but being able to get the correct spring rates for the car is so much more important then just dropping it. Problems associated with incorrect or too low of springs rates can be unneeded body roll, poor wieght transfer (this can cause the car to come around on you under breaking), and much more. Alot of shops just want you to buy what they got and don't offer any real reason of why, in my opinion ask people who actually race, but are not sponsored by suspension companies, or performance shops. You will get alot better reasoning in why to use some parts over others. [patriot]

[worship]

--------------------
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

what about hr road race and super spot springs? i heard a lot of good things about them for comp racing and reducing bodyroll.

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

They're decent springs, but Like Jon said, if you really want to race it, there is no substitute for coilovers. And what are your plans on shox/struts? They have just as much of an impact on your ride as the springs. I have Koni yellows & Griggs coilovers on mine, and I'll never do conventional lowering springs again.

--------------------
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

for the future i want to get koni shock/struts not sure when tho. the main thing is, im tired of my ride looking like a damn 4x4 but i want something that will lower it (not slam it to the ground) and will help improve my handling. im not a hard core road racer, but my car is rarely driven(3k a year) so i dont really care about the ride quality. as long as it looks nice and performs just as well.

ooh yeah and on a tight 17yearold budjet. ty

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Yeah, the only thing is when you're on a budget, you're gonna spend $$$ on it now, then more $$$ on it later, so you're not helping your budget. Also, if you lower it, and don't do shox/struts, your car will be lower yes, but it won't perform or ride good. So if you're serious about doing it, just wait it out. You'll be happier & spend less time & money that doing it twice.

--------------------
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

ty, i understand and will probably do that. thanks for your time. [patriot]

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

No prob. [burnout]

--------------------
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

LuvMy04GT
¯
Member # 4791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuvMy04GT  Ford pictures for LuvMy04GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 03SHKER:
No prob. [burnout]

how much does APEX charge for a coil over set up?

--------------------
who

Posts: 369 | From: Milpitas, CA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  :
03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Depends. Griggs or MM? What shocks/struts? Full coilovers or just fronts with standard springs in the rear? Are we installing it? Give me a call at the shop. [Big Grin]
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, I'll but in again. Well first thing, The company that makes the kit doesn't really matter that much. It's the spring you get. I would use Hypercoils. They make an awesome spring, that is actually rated at what it says it is. Unlike some other brands. You can find front sleeve kits very cheap. For the rears go with the MM kit. Cost is more the cheap sleeve kits, but There kit is complete. Again the question on H&R's, you spend $200+ for them, why? It doesn't offer any usefulness except lowering the car. Still doesn't allow you to get the correct spring rate for your driving and you car. I understand the 4x4 thing, but the best advice is buy once, buy right.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

LuvMy04GT
¯
Member # 4791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuvMy04GT  Ford pictures for LuvMy04GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im debating over griggs or mm. any suggestions? would a full coilover be better than just up front? ill probably be getting installed by you guys!

--------------------
who

Posts: 369 | From: Milpitas, CA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this is a good thread, I want to go coilovers, but want to get only top notch parts before I install

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Well the kits MM offer are killer kits especally compared in price vs. griggs. The Griggs coilovers use only a specific type of Koni shock now. So down side is, you have to use there shock. If you want to stay on the more affordable, but still have selections, I would go MM. If you like bilstiens, they make kits for them, if you like tokico's they have kits for them too. my $.02. The old griggs kit used to be like that, but since they said they have gone over to a shock specific style that works only with koni's.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1sicgt, what coilover setup would you suggest for my 2003 mach1? I want to be able to hug corners.
I could look at the kits, but I would just hate to buy something and then not like it, you know?

btw, I'm getting some 18x9 and 18x10 fr500's to get some more style and tire contact with the road.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Well what is your total goal with the car? Open Tracking, drag what? It makes a big difference when it comes to what you choose. If you want a set-up for corners I would go with the MM kit for the front and rear. I would go with 10" Hypercoil springs, 450 or 475 lb. 2.5" dia. front springs, and then 400 or 425 lb. 2.25" dia rear springs. I personally would combo those with either Koni Yellow dual adjustables, Tokico D-Spec adjustables, or Tokico Illumina 5 way adjustables. That way you get the most adjustment options for the dollar. You get a great ride out of the Koni's or the Tokico's. Some may say avoid the Tokico's, but I tell you I have been running on them for some time now, I sure can't complain. The valving seems to be right where you want it on them. Big thing is for corners go no less then 400 and no more then 500 for solid cars. You need the stiffness to reduce brake dive and limit body roll, but you can hit a point where it will take traction away, and start to effect the overall handling of the car, by making it too bouncey. There is a happy medium. Now with drag racing you want very soft front, so that the car essentionally sags on the nose alot. So when you mash the gas, you get alot of weight transfer to the rear of the car. This is great for luanching, after that as long as you go straight your cool. If you add corners to that, then the front tries to compress too fast, and the rearend of the car will try to come around on you faster. This is why at the drag strip, when you see a car get squirley, then they jump off the gas fast, the rearend tries to walk around on them. Think of it like driving a fork lift, where steering is in the rear, small moves ok, big change, the thing turns very quickly.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

I guess i should have put what I had in mind in my last posting.
I'm looking to be a "weekend auto crossing" type car.
I see that they have konis and bilsteins there in parts and complete kits. I like the sound of adjustables too
what are your thoughts on an IRS swap?
thanks man!

[ July 04, 2005, 20:11: Message edited by: 94gt ]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Don't do the IRS swap. The IRS theory is great, just a shame ford didn't have someone good design it. IRS should gain negative camber as it compresses to allow the tire to keep full contact with the pavement, but ford's does not. So as it compresses more, you start loosing traction. Plus the weight of the IRS is unreal. It is way heavier than the Solid. I would stick with doing a good panhard torque arm set-up for your purpose. Yes the Watts link design is superior to a panhard, but cost vs. what your plans are, just go with Panhard. Now you might wanna look into getting the coilover kit with out shock and struts from them. You can buy just the coilovers kits from MM. For what your plans are, go with the more cost effective tokicos. If you were into more competition all the time, I'd say pay the extra buck for the koni full kit, butt seeing you plan on doing auto-x and here and there events this would be a good set-up. Also do you plan on driving the car on the street alot, or just weekends, and events? If doing little street driving look into some dot track tires, Maybe a Nitto 555R II or a Toyo RA-1. That way you can have some extra grip for these events. I know I haven't said anything on bilsteins, thats becuase, I found, its best to get something adjustable, so you can tune the ride to "your" driving style. Where as the bilsteins are preset valving. So it could be an expensive hit or miss on the feel if you like them or not. At least with the others I listed, you can tune the bound and rebound to how you drive, and how you want your car to handle. I talked with Tokico at SEMA last year about the new D-Spec line of struts and shocks, I'll I can tell you is that they are probably more adjustable than the Koni Yellow DA's. They are 10x more adjustable the the old Tokico Illumina's. It's a much better built peice then people give them credit for.

[ July 05, 2005, 09:27: Message edited by: 1Sicgt ]

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

im looking for some good auto x tires, that will also be used on the street a little. what is better for the price 275 ps2's or 295 nitto nt555r 2's. they're the same price, but i dont know which one would be best, im trying to keep in just under 300 per tire. or is there anything better?

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com