Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » eibach (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: eibach
03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SHKER  Ford pictures for 03SHKER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Front Coil-Over Hardware Kit for Koni Struts FCO 2000 works with most common brands
Front Coil-Over Hardware Kit for Bilstein Struts Mustang FCO 2000 B
Griggs offers a setup for Koni/Tokico or Bilsteins. You can also use the Maximum coilover kit with the Griggs setup. I personally have the Griggs coilover kit, Koni yellows, Hypercoil 350 springs & Maximum C/C plates on mine. I won't change it.

[ July 05, 2005, 16:37: Message edited by: 03SHKER ]

--------------------
chris@apexmotorsports.com
2555 Lafayette Blvd. Suite #122
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach0ne351  Ford pictures for Mach0ne351  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 03SHKER:
They're decent springs, but Like Jon said, if you really want to race it, there is no substitute for coilovers. And what are your plans on shox/struts? They have just as much of an impact on your ride as the springs. I have Koni yellows & Griggs coilovers on mine, and I'll never do conventional lowering springs again.

yup. coilovers is the ONLY way to go...

but back to the main question, i would recommend the pro kit over the sportlines. the sportlines are too soft, and youll be bouncing all the over the place...the pro kit is stiffer.....i had the prokit, and was pretty happy with it. it dropped my cobra about 1 1/4" all around.

marek

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
SCT Tuned by APEX Motorsports @ 317rwhp/304rwtq
www.32valve.com

Posts: 1182 | From: Marina, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra9:
im looking for some good auto x tires, that will also be used on the street a little. what is better for the price 275 ps2's or 295 nitto nt555r 2's. they're the same price, but i dont know which one would be best, im trying to keep in just under 300 per tire. or is there anything better?

Personal experience talking here. I'll tell you to run the Nitto's. I have them. Been doing lots of events on them. So far have 9 weekends of HARD track abuse on them, still have tread and still sticky. If anyone questions if I am pushing them hard I was at Reno-Fernely last on them, I was doing 1:30 laps in my car. Thats pretty much full race pace there. And I am only pushing 215-220rwhp. Not too shabby.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Front Coil-Over Hardware Kit for Koni Struts FCO 2000 works with most common brands
Griggs offers a setup for Koni/Tokico or Bilsteins. You can also use the Maximum coilover kit with the Griggs setup. I personally have the Griggs coilover kit, Koni yellows, Hypercoil 350 springs & Maximum C/C plates on mine. I won't change it.

That is really soft chris. On my car we run 450 front, and equivlant of 400 rear. On the 03 cobra run 550 front and 650 rear (IRS). I think I have another set of 400 or 425, you should try them. I bet you can shave a bit of time off your laps. What tires are you on?

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
Don't do the IRS swap. The IRS theory is great, just a shame ford didn't have someone good design it. IRS should gain negative camber as it compresses to allow the tire to keep full contact with the pavement, but ford's does not. So as it compresses more, you start loosing traction. Plus the weight of the IRS is unreal. It is way heavier than the Solid. I would stick with doing a good panhard torque arm set-up for your purpose. Yes the Watts link design is superior to a panhard, but cost vs. what your plans are, just go with Panhard. Now you might wanna look into getting the coilover kit with out shock and struts from them. You can buy just the coilovers kits from MM. For what your plans are, go with the more cost effective tokicos. If you were into more competition all the time, I'd say pay the extra buck for the koni full kit, butt seeing you plan on doing auto-x and here and there events this would be a good set-up. Also do you plan on driving the car on the street alot, or just weekends, and events? If doing little street driving look into some dot track tires, Maybe a Nitto 555R II or a Toyo RA-1. That way you can have some extra grip for these events. I know I haven't said anything on bilsteins, thats becuase, I found, its best to get something adjustable, so you can tune the ride to "your" driving style. Where as the bilsteins are preset valving. So it could be an expensive hit or miss on the feel if you like them or not. At least with the others I listed, you can tune the bound and rebound to how you drive, and how you want your car to handle. I talked with Tokico at SEMA last year about the new D-Spec line of struts and shocks, I'll I can tell you is that they are probably more adjustable than the Koni Yellow DA's. They are 10x more adjustable the the old Tokico Illumina's. It's a much better built peice then people give them credit for.

I Really appreciate your advice man [patriot]

I was actually looking at the new Tokico's with a coilover suspension in mind. But from what ive heard the Koni's just rock as far as performance and reliablility are concerned.

I pretty much drive my mach alot, daily infact... thats why I liked the idea of the adjustable setup... if its too stiff, i could soften it up easily. big bonus... but if I could get a bit more traction, I would gladly sacrafice ride comfort for that.

I was actually looking into the Toyo tires, so its funny you suggested them! what sized would you reccomend on an 18x9 front and 18x10 rear rim sizes?

Thanks again [worship]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
im looking for some good auto x tires, that will also be used on the street a little. what is better for the price 275 ps2's or 295 nitto nt555r 2's. they're the same price, but i dont know which one would be best, im trying to keep in just under 300 per tire. or is there anything better?

Personal experience talking here. I'll tell you to run the Nitto's. I have them. Been doing lots of events on them. So far have 9 weekends of HARD track abuse on them, still have tread and still sticky. If anyone questions if I am pushing them hard I was at Reno-Fernely last on them, I was doing 1:30 laps in my car. Thats pretty much full race pace there. And I am only pushing 215-220rwhp. Not too shabby.
so, i take it that they are a lot better than the nt555's bc i am really disappointed in them. have u tried the ps2's by any chance?

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

98M3Pride
¯
Member # 5798

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98M3Pride  Ford pictures for 98M3Pride    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have and they rule all. I wish they lasted longer though.

--------------------
-Bill
98' BMW M3
Mods- Dinan stage 3 suspension, X-brace, AA SSK, Cosmos CAI, and Euro all around.

Posts: 279 | From: Castro Valley | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98M3Pride:
I have and they rule all. I wish they lasted longer though.

but then again, what other performance tires have u tried?

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SHKER  Ford pictures for 03SHKER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

That is really soft chris. On my car we run 450 front, and equivlant of 400 rear. On the 03 cobra run 550 front and 650 rear (IRS). I think I have another set of 400 or 425, you should try them. I bet you can shave a bit of time off your laps. What tires are you on?
Jon, I'm a loser. Haha. I've only had them on for about 2 months, and haven't been to the track yet. Aug 13-14th will be the first time I get to test it all. I'm actually really happy with the setup. I had been in a car with 450's and it was to stiff for a daily driver. I'm sure it woulda rocked on the track, but I'm no where near the level you're at, and I'm not gonna try and act like I am. [dance]
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

if im not worried about tuning them from soft to stiff, would my stock blitstiens be ok with the mm converstion up front? ty

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

ooh, and would stock springs be ok. or would that defy the purpose of getting a coilover kit [Confused]

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Yeah, they should work just fine. But you have to have them sent to Maximum to be grooved, for the coils to fit over them.

--------------------
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

quote:
Yeah, they should work just fine. But you have to have them sent to Maximum to be grooved, for the coils to fit over them.

aah, but that would prolly cost some $$$ so would i be better off just getting koni

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

Koni's are the sh*t. Bilstiens are nice to, but no adjustability. I don't think it's that much to groove them, it's just down time on your car.

[ July 06, 2005, 14:09: Message edited by: 03SHKER ]

--------------------
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach0ne351  Ford pictures for Mach0ne351  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maximum does it for free [Smile]

marek

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
www.32valve.com

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

what track you runnin on Aug 12-14 chris?

i plannin on runnin at thunderhill on November 19-20 (sat-sun)

marek

[ July 06, 2005, 14:13: Message edited by: Mach0ne351 ]

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
www.32valve.com

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

*hopefully* Willow Springs

--------------------
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

what do u mean "hopefully"......

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
www.32valve.com

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

I dunno if I'm going for sure or not... So hopefully.

--------------------
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

sory guys, but i have a few more questions. first i notice that my car has pretty bad oversteer. i need to correct that. now, is the stock swaybar adjustable? and if i get the front coilovers only would that lessen the understeer? ty. my biggest issues now are body roll and understeer.

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

get the maximum motorsports front bumpsteer and rear IRS bumpsteer kits. good stuff....

chris...
who is puttin on the event?

marek

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
www.32valve.com

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:
quote:
Don't do the IRS swap. The IRS theory is great, just a shame ford didn't have someone good design it. IRS should gain negative camber as it compresses to allow the tire to keep full contact with the pavement, but ford's does not. So as it compresses more, you start loosing traction. Plus the weight of the IRS is unreal. It is way heavier than the Solid. I would stick with doing a good panhard torque arm set-up for your purpose. Yes the Watts link design is superior to a panhard, but cost vs. what your plans are, just go with Panhard. Now you might wanna look into getting the coilover kit with out shock and struts from them. You can buy just the coilovers kits from MM. For what your plans are, go with the more cost effective tokicos. If you were into more competition all the time, I'd say pay the extra buck for the koni full kit, butt seeing you plan on doing auto-x and here and there events this would be a good set-up. Also do you plan on driving the car on the street alot, or just weekends, and events? If doing little street driving look into some dot track tires, Maybe a Nitto 555R II or a Toyo RA-1. That way you can have some extra grip for these events. I know I haven't said anything on bilsteins, thats becuase, I found, its best to get something adjustable, so you can tune the ride to "your" driving style. Where as the bilsteins are preset valving. So it could be an expensive hit or miss on the feel if you like them or not. At least with the others I listed, you can tune the bound and rebound to how you drive, and how you want your car to handle. I talked with Tokico at SEMA last year about the new D-Spec line of struts and shocks, I'll I can tell you is that they are probably more adjustable than the Koni Yellow DA's. They are 10x more adjustable the the old Tokico Illumina's. It's a much better built peice then people give them credit for.

I Really appreciate your advice man [patriot]

I was actually looking at the new Tokico's with a coilover suspension in mind. But from what ive heard the Koni's just rock as far as performance and reliablility are concerned.

I pretty much drive my mach alot, daily infact... thats why I liked the idea of the adjustable setup... if its too stiff, i could soften it up easily. big bonus... but if I could get a bit more traction, I would gladly sacrafice ride comfort for that.

I was actually looking into the Toyo tires, so its funny you suggested them! what sized would you reccomend on an 18x9 front and 18x10 rear rim sizes?

Thanks again [worship]

I would go with something that doesn't have a buldging sidewall. That will hurt you in cornering. You want flush or tucked in a bit from the rim. This gives the car a more predictable feel. Front's go 255 or 265/35 18, rear 275 or 285 35/18. Ya wider is cooler and better for drag, but sucks balls when you have tire rollover in the corners.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

quote:
quote:
quote:

so, i take it that they are a lot better than the nt555's bc i am really disappointed in them. have u tried the ps2's by any chance?
They wear fast as said. But remember the regualr 555 is a STREET tire, where the 555rII is a DOT TRACK TIRE. Big difference.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

03SHKER
¯
Member # 1397

I've got 555's on my car, and love 'em too.

--------------------
Santa Clara, CA 95050
408-588-0075

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

quote:
Originally posted by Mach0ne351:
get the maximum motorsports front bumpsteer and rear IRS bumpsteer kits. good stuff....

chris...
who is puttin on the event?

marek

Well that really won't help the oversteer he is getting. Right now what is happening is the car probably tries to drive to much as he goes into corners, then the rear tries to drive itself around. Am I correct?

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com