Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » best mod (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: best mod
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Where in Redwood City is GR Mustangs located? Is it a new place?
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
kpl
¯
Member # 1879

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kpl  Ford pictures for kpl  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
so, if i get some h&r race springs that wouldnt help my cornering?
no
quote:
and possibly damage it bc of the change in the cars geometry?
no

I think the point trying to be made earlier was that you don't want to lower the car too much (control arms need to be parallel to the ground, not higher on the wheel side), and you may want to consider coil-overs as you have more flexibility with spring rates and ride height.

I have H&R race springs with Bilsteins on my 95GT and they are fine, though now after having it that way for awhile I'd now like to go firmer and switch to coil-overs in the front. This isn't my daily driver. On my daily driver 01Cobra I have steeda springs and bilsteins which makes for a nice firm but comfortable ride.

You need to better define what you want to do with the car and how much ride quality you want to give up. Ride in other people cars and see what they are like before you buy. Everyone's tolerance is different. I had a 98Cobra with Koni DA's and coil-overs and it wasn't nice on the street, but great on the track.

quote:
ooh yea, what about front and/or rear strut tower braces?
maybe when you run out of other things to do. I can think of better ways to spend my money, like more track time.

[ May 19, 2005, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: kpl ]

--------------------
Kevin

Posts: 83 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok, this is not a daily driver, i guess i wouldnt want to compete against pro drivers in an sutox event b/c of subframes. however i dont have money for coilovers. only springs. would some highly rated springs with stock shocks&struts(for now stock) improve my cornering any where near the subframe connector level or will it just make my ride look nice. once again, not a daily driver, thats why i have a 26mpg camry. sory for all q's but. ty for patiance with me

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

r3dn3ck
¯
Member # 3192

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for r3dn3ck  Ford pictures for r3dn3ck  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you want to stick your 99 on the track... don't bother with minimalist mods. Save the money up and get the things that will really make a difference. A full Max Grip pack from Maximum motorsports will have you carving with the best of them.

FWIW... I run an 03GT with a mildly modified 99 IRS. If I had it to do over again, I do (in order):
Brakes (you have good ones... need better rotors and pads and some SS lines)
Griggs in floor Subframe connectors.
Delrin/Aluminum rear control arm bushings.
Poly-Urethane IRS cradle bushings
MM F&R bilstein coil over conversion (w/ CC plates, strut tower brace, rear shock tower brace and bumpsteer kit)
MM K-Member
MM A-Arms
Roll Cage
MM front and rear IRS Diff mount bushings
9" rims for more tire on the road.
Gears.
Tune
X pipe
Cat back
MM wheel spacers in back
Rear seat delete

The car will be a bit less streetable and will ride rougher but it'll out handle most cars on the road with ease.

All in... you're looking at about 7-9K for all that. After that...it'll be a rompin stompin road course machine.

--------------------
Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement. Via O'Connor

04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04Z06  Ford pictures for 04Z06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you going to just do track days or what type of racing are you going to do? This will make it a bit easier to give any help.. If you plan on doing any Autocrossing then you will need to decide what class you wantto be in before you touch anything..

E

--------------------
2004 Z06
2003 DSG Mach 1 Wife took it in the Divorce
2001 Cobra (scrap yard, I hope)
2003 Blk Cobra (traded)

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok, i am not going to be a hard core auto x member. for now, at least until school is over. what got me into this suspension frinzy was a few rides in my friends(as mentioned last page) dinan preped m3. i felt no body roll, any flying through turns having full control of the car gave me a feeling that streetracing never did(please dont tell any of the ppl on the streetracing section i said that [Razz] ) so, i figured itl be safer and more of a rush if i stayed off streetracing and on the track, or maby a curvy road or two for fun. so, i am planning on possibly going to an auto x like once a month or two, and staying in a moderatly low,not lowest class(i wouldnt want to be a pain for better racers/cars). my budget doesnt seem to look very good for the future either, my parents got me the car, and are now allowing(making) me grow up and pay for everything of mine, gas, insurance, ooh yea and my future school. not to bad a trade for when i was 16. but any way, im going to have her for a while so i plan on taking my time but getting it done right the first time. so, i am going to be a very moderate auto xer, but would love to prove to imports that domestics can hang round corners with them. so, key points. hang with m3 [Roll Eyes] sometimes auto x, much stiffer suspension, and for now a 300-400& max [Mad] ty. hope that helps at all. [patriot]

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it really sounds like you just need to go out to the next auto-x event and drive your car to see if you like it.

dont worry about mods yet, you should still be able to run in F-stock or Street Tire as you sit, and dont worry about being in too high of a class because of mods, only 1 car is on the track at a time in auto-x, no one will be stuck behind you (unless you run in front of mike maier, lmao, he'll catch you)

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Coupe
¯
Member # 3001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coupe  Ford pictures for Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
(unless you run in front of mike maier, lmao, he'll catch you)

Or his wife [worship]
kpl
¯
Member # 1879

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kpl  Ford pictures for kpl  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It'll never handle, and at the same time have a nice quiet and comfy ride like that M3, no matter what you do to it.

For the money you could probaly find someone with a set of used H&R race springs and bilsteins in your price range. Since you are buying them used you won't lose much if anything if later you decide to sell the springs and go back to stock or go the coil-over route. Don't just change the springs, the stock dampers won't be able to handle them. You can still run in the stock category, the car will handle better than it does now, and not have the stock Subaru stance.

[ May 20, 2005, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: kpl ]

--------------------
Kevin

Posts: 83 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

wow, a lot of posts, to finally come to this simple conclusion. i really like your idea and will probably work with that. so, ty everybody for your input, and i hope this was of use to others as it was for me. once again, ty.

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea, I bought both my FMS 'B' coils and bilstein shocks/struts for $100 ($200 total) in the fordsale, the springs were unused and the bilstein's have a lifetime warranty [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04Z06  Ford pictures for 04Z06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With your engine mods and gears you would be in one of the SM classes. With that said, I would get a set of good sub-frame connectors. This will really help the car in the long run. It may not make the largest change right now but after a few miles your frame will be straighter adn will be ready for any future mods. The next this would be wider tires and wheels. Just going to 9" with 275's will make a big difference. Then work on the suspension. Be carefull with coilovers on a Mustang. It is a unibody and they really do not like the extra stress. Head over to Corner-carvers.com and do some searching. DO NOT POST!!!!! Everything you will ever want to know right now has been posted and is avail in the search. If you post you better be damn sure it has never been posted before and a good question or you will get the hell beaten out of you on that sight. Also, read the winki sight first. Every word of it. If you don't follow the above instructions, don't say I didn't warn you.. [Wink] Good luck young padawon...

E

--------------------
2004 Z06
2003 Blk Cobra (traded)

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

ok, should i excpect much improvement if i get 03 struts/shocks with springs?

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra9:
ok, should i excpect much improvement if i get 03 struts/shocks with springs?

Nope... Waste of money. You will end up getting better stuff down the line. You will just be spending your money twice. I really am not a big fan of the 03' shocks but some people will swear by htem. Each their own I guess. I would save up for some Koni DA's for track use. You can do a lot with them.

Eric

--------------------
2004 Z06
2003 Blk Cobra (traded)

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com