Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » best mod (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: best mod
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a basically stock 99 cobra(suspension wise) what would be the best bang for the buck mod(s) that i should to to get the best cornering abilityies. midiocre budget, around 300. thanks

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

Coupe
¯
Member # 3001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Coupe  Ford pictures for Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
around $300 I would say invest into track time ie better driver [patriot]
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well Coupe is correct in many aspects, more driving time helps you become a better driver always. But if you wanna buy suspension stuff, well first a few questions. Do you have drop springs, if so who's? Do you have Subframe Connectors?

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no springs no connectors, just a completerly stock suspension.

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go get some subframe connectors. Altered Speed and Apex both have killer specials on getting s set installed. Are you looking to seriously track the car, or just have fun here and there?

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

LuvMy04GT
¯
Member # 4791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuvMy04GT  Ford pictures for LuvMy04GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
Go get some subframe connectors. Altered Speed and Apex both have killer specials on getting s set installed. Are you looking to seriously track the car, or just have fun here and there?

hey jon are the maxspeed springs at apex for 90 bucks any good?

--------------------
who

Posts: 369 | From: Milpitas, CA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  :
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

they would be ok if you just wanna drop the car. I wouldn't say go race on them. They probably aren't the spring rates you would want to open track on.

[ May 10, 2005, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: 1Sicgt ]

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

kpl
¯
Member # 1879

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kpl  Ford pictures for kpl  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd also vote for more track time, but if you want to do something I'd say get some Bilsteins, but that's beyond $300 unless you can find some used. The stock dampers are crap. For $300 you can get some camber-caster plates, Al rack bushings, and a good alignment...helps with steering response and tire wear.

[ May 11, 2005, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: kpl ]

--------------------
Kevin

Posts: 83 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
Jim Wood
¯
Member # 5531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Wood  Ford pictures for Jim Wood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would vote for subframe connectors. I have MM Full length subframe connectors, and am very happy with them. You only need baremetal in CA, so thats less, and just spray paint them after they are installed. I noticed a difference in cornering on the track. Or at least I think I did.

I have heard that lowering the car with springs can actually hurt the geometry of the suspension. Something you may want to look into, I dont know if it does or doesnt.

89 FAKE SNAKE
¯
Member # 4531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 FAKE SNAKE  Ford pictures for 89 FAKE SNAKE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra9:
i have a basically stock 99 cobra(suspension wise) what would be the best bang for the buck mod(s) that i should to to get the best cornering abilityies. midiocre budget, around 300. thanks

run from tha cops a few times..then ur drivin will be up.. [Big Grin] [Razz] ..but ya...id get some subframes...i felt a diff on my car...there worth it

--------------------
90 COUPE
01 R1 (stock)
04 XR-50(stroked)
06 TT-R50E
SRA & PWA member

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

im definately am not going to be going to the track every weekend. its just that i was really into streetraces but not so much anymore so, im changing race styles, its not worth getting caught and i want to be able to hand with my friends 98 m3 around the corners. btw: he has a stage three dinan setup. so... it looks like connectors would be the best bang for the buck. what about hr springs with a higher spring rate than my cobra?
ty [patriot]

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Well honestly, save up and do it right, go coilovers or go home. Too much work swapping the IRS springs, easier to go coilovers.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

03smknsvt
¯
Member # 5514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03smknsvt  Ford pictures for 03smknsvt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
subframe connectors will help you take those turns. iam very happy with my subframes [patriot]

--------------------
03 silver cobra #3461 out of 8394
96 gt supercharged
03 mach 1
93 cobra
99 black bird
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

we can tell engine upgades eork by the hp gains, what about suspension parts. with connectors will the g # go up significantly, or at all? sry noob to track stuff.

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Cars with IRS really need the subframes, do to the extra suspension twist. Its one thing you should always do first.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Track Car

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

sounds goo. i guess subframes is whats comming next. so, when is the next auto x near the bay area?

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
www.americanauto-x.com

5/14 I think? Its about 2 hours from san jose, totally worth the drive [Big Grin]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

i think there was a post on this, but i cant find it. im planning on getting the mm subframes, but how much for the instalation alone? and is anyone familier with Maier Racing Enterprises in hayward?

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 9cobra9:
Maier Racing Enterprises in hayward?

Mike Maier races out at the american auto-x every race, best place you can go in the bay area for suspension or advice HANDS DOWN

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

ok, i will call them tmro. does it make a diffrance on the brand subs i buy? bc i found some on e-bay for around 60, but id rather spend 30 more and get mm connectors insted of buying crap and then buying new ones anyway. ty for all the help.

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

get Mike's advise.

buy once, buy right.

buy shit, buy twice [Roll Eyes]

I've stuck with maximum motorsports/bilstein/fms with my suspension mods

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

kpl
¯
Member # 1879

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kpl  Ford pictures for kpl  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you are interested in auto-x you should figure out what class you want to run in before doing any mods. i.e. welded in subframe connectors automatically bump you up into SM in SCCA where you'll be hopelessly outclassed.

Having owned 3 SN-95s and modded each of them in a different order I still think that subframe connectors are a dumb first mod expecially when you are still running the stock worthless dampers. To each his own. The car will feel better under heavy braking, but you'll really feel how poorly the suspension is working with the subframes on though.

On Maier, good luck, on two occassions I tried to get him to do some work for me a few years ago and he never returned any phone calls. Maybe by now he figured out how to run a business. Try GR Mustangs in Redwood City, 650-299-9406.

--------------------
Kevin

Posts: 83 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
cvr 5.0
¯
Member # 2962

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cvr 5.0  Ford pictures for cvr 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
call GR Mustangs in Redwood City, 650-299-9406.
it a good shop

--------------------
-89 MUSTANG 5.0 lx vert (sold as of 2-10-08 for $8K)
-Ford F-100 with blown chevy 502
2004.5 dodge ram, 500hp and 1100tq
-84 yoda on 39s

Posts: 977 | From: Fremont ,ca | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

so, if i get some h&r race springs that wouldnt help my cornering? and possibly damage it bc of the change in the cars geometry? damn pretty hard choices when working with a low budget,

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

ooh yea, what about front and/or rear strut tower braces?

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
co-owner of PWA

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com