Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Trick flow top end or s trim (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Trick flow top end or s trim
hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hilltim54  Ford pictures for hilltim54    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A wise man once told me to get the h/c/i first so that I dnt have to get it tuned twice,.... But which one would make more power right now?? And have daily drivability?? The top end kit comes with heads, intake, cam, rockers, lifters head gaskets,,,.. What are u guys opinions?? Oh and yes both of these are part of my overall plan

--------------------
Just bcuz you lived a long life dont mean it cant come to a short end old ass nigga.

Thugnificent

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
S-trim at 10lbs would be my choice....had both combos before and the s-trim on stock parts was a better car to drive and was slightly faster on the street...

for the money though...

http://www.on3performance.com/mustang5.html

do this on a stock bottom end and have a sleeper that makes 400-450RW, drives like stock, and you'll have less money into it than an HCI/Strim setup...

[ April 13, 2011, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: C6Z06s_own_50Deep ]

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
blower and meth kit

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
MauriSSio
¯
Member # 9943

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MauriSSio  Ford pictures for MauriSSio    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by C6Z06s_own_50Deep:
S-trim at 10lbs would be my choice....had both combos before and the s-trim on stock parts was a better car to drive and was slightly faster on the street...

for the money though...

http://www.on3performance.com/mustang5.html

do this on a stock bottom end and have a sleeper that makes 400-450RW, drives like stock, and you'll have less money into it than an HCI/Strim setup...

that sounds like a badass setup.
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ON3 has some pretty nice kits for a budget price as well.

Check out the feedback on turbomustangs

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

If you want to go pretty fast and havent bought anything yet you could always get on3 351 kit which is about 1600 I believe.

Then pick up a used roller 351. Throw some rings and bearings in it. Gap them for the turbo. Put an F cam in it. Get some used eddies, TFS, GT40s...really anything other than stock heads (except like 69 351 4v heads) and bolt it all together, do the work yourself and it will fly.

--------------------

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
S-trim any day of the week over trickflow topend kit... then you could piece together your parts with time and good research... [patriot]

thats what I did and feel pretty accomplished and satisfied with my parts list

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
buy a charger..weither it be turbo or super..wish i wouldnt have wasted anytime and went straight to boost [Mad]

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With stock worn valve springs those valve's are going to be floating @ 5000 rpm's with supercharger coming in to the party in the low 3000rpm range it won't have a longenough span of useable power rite? Nice hci combo will produce a much wider and useable powerban which eqal's more fun around town or am I wrong? I have had My stang since 1994 and bought a longblock & then threw the boost on it so did'nt ever drive it booseted on stock engine [Embarrassed] . Still jocking these same part's now [Big Grin] Make a good plan before Ya build and with high quality part's You won't need to buy twice! Good luck with the build!

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
With stock worn valve springs those valve's are going to be floating @ 5000 rpm's with supercharger coming in to the party in the low 3000rpm range it won't have a longenough span of useable power rite? Nice hci combo will produce a much wider and useable powerban which eqal's more fun around town or am I wrong? I have had My stang since 1994 and bought a longblock & then threw the boost on it so did'nt ever drive it booseted on stock engine [Embarrassed] . Still jocking these same part's now [Big Grin] Make a good plan before Ya build and with high quality part's You won't need to buy twice! Good luck with the build!

i guess!..lol i dont have worn valve springs soo i want boost [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 707notchback jaejae:
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:

i guess!..lol i dont have worn valve springs soo i want boost [Whoo Whooooo!]
Probably csnt go wrong with that. By the time You buy the part's needed for both setup's I think it would be a wash, depending on what part's are already on the car.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

CobraCoupe
¯
Member # 7233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobraCoupe  Ford pictures for CobraCoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can't go wrong with both, boosted hci ftw!!! Let the tires burn

--------------------
1965 Mustang convertible
2004 Ford Lightning #0537

nasty93
¯
Member # 8935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nasty93  Ford pictures for nasty93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do the hci and youll get to know how to work on your ride and make it run good. then see if u want a power adder...nothin like a 5.0 with a nice cam and heads in my opinion.
Posts: 464 | From: windsor ,ca | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by nasty93:
do the hci and youll get to know how to work on your ride and make it run good. then see if u want a power adder...nothin like a 5.0 with a nice cam and heads in my opinion.

Good advice about learning about working on your own car... Also good advice if you want to be slow.... A 5.0 is not a LS -Based motor picking up gobbs of power from a heads/cam install, you didn't even mention an intake [Confused]

Blown 5.0 over a Heads/Cam one bro... nothing like the whistle of a S-Trim or Novi..

[ April 14, 2011, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: cali95gt ]

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hilltim54  Ford pictures for hilltim54    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CobraCoupe:

I am gonna do both... Its all part of my plans... Just dbt know which one to pick up first...

--------------------
Just bcuz you lived a long life dont mean it cant come to a short end old ass nigga.

Thugnificent

Madstyle1
¯
Member # 4717

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Madstyle1  Ford pictures for Madstyle1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I also want the trick flow top end kit...

As far as on3 are those kits smog legal??

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
Originally posted by Madstyle1:
I also want the trick flow top end kit...

As far as on3 are those kits smog legal??

No but neither is the trick flow top end kit

--------------------

50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Blower = Winning.

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
Originally posted by hilltim54:
quote:

I am gonna do both... Its all part of my plans... Just dbt know which one to pick up first...
Why? Single turbo can make enough power with stock heads, intake and cam to split the stock 8.2 non boss block right down the middle........

--------------------

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
quote:
quote:

Why? Single turbo can make enough power with stock heads, intake and cam to split the stock 8.2 non boss block right down the middle........
yup....

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ben (turbogt) made 420RWHP through the AOD

http://www.theturboforums.com/feature_cars/bend.php

--------------------

hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

quote:

Whats the benifits of having a turbo over a supercharger?? And why arent they as popular as superchargers??

--------------------

Thugnificent

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
trick flow , then a blower later
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Whats the benifits of having a turbo over a supercharger?? And why arent they as popular as superchargers??
there are many s/c kits out there that are CARB legal, can't say the same for turbo kits. so that's one of the main reasons why turbos aren't as popular.

if it's going to be a couple of yrs before you get to do both setup, i'd recommend you do a s/c first. this way you can plan accordingly when picking out your hci setup. if you pick out a NA cam now, it might not be the best choice for a s/c setup so you end up having to change out the cam again. this is money wasted.

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
quote:

before S/C were so much cheaper than turbo kits....and there was a lot more choices.

typical turbo kits before would cost anywhere from $5 to $6K for a kit and all the supporting mods ..etc

whereas for half that price, you could have a new charger...or a used one for $2K..

today, you can get away with a turbo kit and all the goodies for around $2500, so now they are being popular again....unless you are concerned with smog... there are no smog legal kits...unless you find a good used incon kit..which are super rare and usually sell for over $3K used.

also installation...a typical s-trim install on a fox can take even the average person 4-5 hours...(2-3 hours for those of us who have done it more than once)...

a turbo installation...well let's say a LOT longer....doing my first turbo install now and my friend and I've got probably 10 hours into it...just a lot of different items to go over...plus, a TON more parts...and we've done S/C install in 2-3 hours...so a lot of guys who are new to working on your own car usually shy away from turbo installs

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com