Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » cam swap (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: cam swap
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thinking about swaping cams. bored of the Ecam and im sure i'll run better, sound better and make more power with one of these 3. which one should i get, and will they fit right in without any problems? P2V clearance issues or new pushrods or anything? also im tuned, so will i need to get re tuned, or should be ok?

setup right now.....

-Ecam

-cai

-stock..... "cobra intake, 24lb injectors, heads, 1.7 rockers"

-upgraded tfs valve spring kit. good to .550 lift

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA%2D35%2D351%2D8&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=LUN%2D51014LUN&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS%2D51402000&autoview=sku

thanks [patriot]

[ February 11, 2008, 06:13 AM: Message edited by: F8LSN8K ]

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I was you I would throw a set of nice aluminum heads on your car and you will be amazed at how much HP you will pick up. You could keep all the stuff you have now down to the injectors. I garuntee you will pick up over 1/2 sec in the 1/4 and at least 5 mph. minimum

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
$300+labor isnt as much as $1300+labor. want to do somethin real quick, heads wont be for a while.

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thirteen Twenty  Ford pictures for Thirteen Twenty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I 100% fully believe that COMP CAMS is by far the absolute best cam company out there. I rarely run anything else and, if I find something I like by another company I have comp make me one at the same or close to it specs. I generally get custom grind cams from comp at the same price as their off the shelf units.
Posts: 647 | From: union city | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont you already have GT40s off of the cobra on there or am I misreading?

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
dont you already have GT40s off of the cobra on there or am I misreading?

yes......they are ok, but they aint no afr's. just wanna do a quick cam swap for now.

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

so will a split duration cam, sound better than a even one, like

218/224 to 226/226?

[ February 11, 2008, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: F8LSN8K ]

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Those are decent heads man don't let people mislead you.

Those heads plus some boost and or nitrous will destroy that stock block.

There are people well into the 9s with GT40 heads.

Anyway I like Jay Allen custom cams but if you are down on dinero and want a good off the shelf cam I had good luck with XE264HR-14 with staggered rockers.

--------------------

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

quote:

yup good ole iron heads [worship] after the cam, i'll probably squeez a 50shot or so.....

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know a guy with his exact same combo really exact. Swaped on AFR 185's only picked up 6 tenths of a second and 6 mph. It is your money spend it how you want. Throwing away money because it is cheaper is still no excuse lol. I do not really care what somebody has read about someplace else(no offense) what do people you personaly know do with the stuff you have? Who is the fastest GT40 iron headed car around? I try to spend my money once(even though I still phuk it up from time to time)

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

quote:
Originally posted by F8LSN8K:
quote:

yup good ole iron heads [worship] after the cam, i'll probably squeez a 50shot or so.....
YEP good old iron heads they are the bomb. next time you are at the drag strip go find the fastest sbf running them lol. go to a NMRA exent and see who is runnin them awsome things(they can afford what they want see were they spend there money) The sad part is the guy's running 9's with them would probably run 8's with the same set ups and a decent aluminum head with the same amount of work they threw at there GT40's. prepare to get beat allot. Hey at least you will have a built in excuse [Wink]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thirteen Twenty  Ford pictures for Thirteen Twenty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Anyway I like Jay Allen custom cams but if you are down on dinero and want a good off the shelf cam I had good luck with XE264HR-14 with staggered rockers.

any thing like this?? http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Search/CamDetails.asp?PartNumber=35-320-8

who make's jay allen's cams?? that looks alot like a comp number??? xe= extreme energy which is a great lobe design, 264 = duration, hr = hydraulic roller, 14 = cam core.

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
Originally posted by Thirteen Twenty:
quote:

any thing like this?? http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Search/CamDetails.asp?PartNumber=35-320-8

who make's jay allen's cams?? that looks alot like a comp number??? xe= extreme energy which is a great lobe design, 264 = duration, hr = hydraulic roller, 14 = cam core.

Jay Allen designs his own cams using the finest cores.

He is renowned and yes, I am on his nuts.

--------------------

Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

quote:
quote:
quote:

designs yes, but who grinds them?? I would also check and see who makes trick flow's cams, chances are it's not trick flow
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
I know a guy with his exact same combo really exact. Swaped on AFR 185's only picked up 6 tenths of a second and 6 mph. It is your money spend it how you want. Throwing away money because it is cheaper is still no excuse lol. I do not really care what somebody has read about someplace else(no offense) what do people you personaly know do with the stuff you have? Who is the fastest GT40 iron headed car around? I try to spend my money once(even though I still phuk it up from time to time)

I do not argue the fact that the guy with GT40s or such will probably go faster with more expensive, better parts like say AFR heads or Canfields.

BUT

TurboGT off of THIS board went 11.22 at 122 with at STOCK longblock.

That is pretty impressive.

I have not personally gone any faster than 12.22@114.8 mph with a 1.67 60 foot on a stock head.

So I can't say that I run 9s with GT40 heads but I can post some links to a 9 second E7 headed car and 9 second GT40 headed car. Yes they could probably run 8s with better parts but hey it just goes to prove it is not out of reach to do on a very strict budget.

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

designs yes, but who grinds them?? I would also check and see who makes trick flow's cams, chances are it's not trick flow
Id have to ask him but I can tell you that I have heard there are only 2-3 places that actually grind them.

Also, he runs them through cam doctor for free to verify they are exactly as ordered to a nilth degree.

Guy holds fuckin seminars and racers come from miles around to listen and learn.

Guy troubleshot oiling problems over the phone and was right on and this was in a keith craft motor.

Im telling you he is good at what he does has years of experience, used to work for Bob Glidden and has pumped out tons and tons of fast motors.

--------------------

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Here is a GT40 headed combo.

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70933.0

Thumb through it. I know there is/was a lot of controversy over this but he posted pics and timeslips plus others chime in making over 500rwhp with them.

[ February 11, 2008, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: turbo50 ]

--------------------

Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Id have to ask him but I can tell you that I have heard there are only 2-3 places that actually grind them.

Also, he runs them through cam doctor for free to verify they are exactly as ordered to a nilth degree.

Guy holds fuckin seminars and racers come from miles around to listen and learn.

Guy troubleshot oiling problems over the phone and was right on and this was in a keith craft motor.

Im telling you he is good at what he does has years of experience, used to work for Bob Glidden and has pumped out tons and tons of fast motors.

I tried to call Jay but he is in the hospital, apparently some guy has been standing on his nutz for a while... [Big Grin] good shit bro I'm not arguing this guy just speaking much respect for comp. cams
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

you are correct there are only a few places that grind cams. I just recieved the custom cam for my 408. This is the first bullet cam I have used on my own stuff it looks nice. I have run a bunch of comp stuff and they are good also. I am not saying Jay Allen isn't good he learned from good people. I did not know he worked for Glidden(my hero lol). I thought he worked for Crawford or Bennet. There are a bunch of good cam people out there. There are also alot of championship teams not running his stuff so who do they use? The fact is nobody knows it all, so take the good from everybody don't limit yourself one guy's nutsack lol stand on them all.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
you are correct there are only a few places that grind cams. I just recieved the custom cam for my 408. This is the first bullet cam I have used on my own stuff it looks nice. I have run a bunch of comp stuff and they are good also. I am not saying Jay Allen isn't good he learned from good people. I did not know he worked for Glidden(my hero lol). I thought he worked for Crawford or Bennet. There are a bunch of good cam people out there. There are also alot of championship teams not running his stuff so who do they use? The fact is nobody knows it all, so take the good from everybody don't limit yourself one guy's nutsack lol stand on them all.

I agree that nobody knows it all, but he takes the time to interface with guys like us. He also has an affliction for late model mustangs, so that is to my advantage.

Ill be the first to admit that I am on his nutsack, but what the hell, maybe it will pay off when and if I run some good numbers.

--------------------

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

try to question him on somehthing one time see how well he interfaces lol. If you use his stuff you will go fast I will give you that much. I also like reading most of his posts. I have learned some interesting stuff from what he has posted. Most of the fastes NA stuff on this board uses somebody else. The fastest on this board doesn't use him either.

[ February 11, 2008, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

quote:
try to question him on somehthing one time see how well he interfaces lol. If you use his stuff you will go fast I will give you that much. I also like reading most of his posts. I have learned some interesting stuff from what he has posted. Most of the fastes NA stuff on this board uses somebody else. The fastest on this board doesn't use him either.

actually I think JP and Arvin both use CI (Jay Allen cams) They are both low 8 second cars.

--------------------

Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

F8LSN8K your post has officially been hijacked.
[dance] [dance] [dance] [dance] [dance]

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

quote:
F8LSN8K your post has officially been hijacked.
[dance] [dance] [dance] [dance] [dance]

yup [Mad] [Roll Eyes]

so what fuckin cam should i get! [Confused] [Mad] [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

That comp get's my vote..... as a matter of fact I think I'll order one myself [dance]

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com