Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » dissapointed in car,please help (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: dissapointed in car,please help
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazlx  Ford pictures for badazlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have an 89 lx with stock bottom 140k with the following mods: svo y302 heads,svo 1.6 rr,comp 284h-r14 cam retarded 4*, trick flow r series intake,bbk 70mm tb/spacer, mac equal lenth headers,off road h pipe.

well i met up with some friends and i raced a 99 cobra with exhaust and only beat him but a car length. what is wrong with my car? is the manifold to big? cam swap? any help is very much appreciated.

thanks brandon

--------------------
03 mach bolt ons/125 shot

MachYou
¯
Member # 7934

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MachYou  Ford pictures for MachYou    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i say the intake is way to big...step down to a smaller one..tfs street/track heat...or eddy performer

--------------------
All Bullshit Stops When the Hands Drop

Posts: 726 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazlx  Ford pictures for badazlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so too big of intake can slow the car down?

--------------------

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow, talk about a mis-matched combo. A Trickflow street heat combo with 3.73's would walk all over both of those cars.

Ya, kill the intake. A Performer intake and a smaller cam would do wonders. I'd venture a guess that you're either experiencing valve float or coil bind as well, that's alot of cam for those heads/springs.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Wow, talk about a mis-matched combo. A Trickflow street heat combo with 3.73's would walk all over both of those cars.

Ya, kill the intake. A Performer intake and a smaller cam would do wonders. I'd venture a guess that you're either experiencing valve float or coil bind as well, that's alot of cam for those heads/springs.

+1

that intake and cam is like for a stroker setup or somethin. just too much for that motor. u'd need to spin that engine to like 6500-7k to see power, ur probably peaking at like 5500 or so. my .02

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

what cam should i run? not worried about smog just want to go fast. and would a rpm2 be to big?

[ February 10, 2008, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: badazlx ]

--------------------

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by badazlx:
what cam should i run? not worried about smog just want to go fast. and would a rpm2 be to big?

rpm2 should be fine. still a tiny bit big, but better for ur setup than the trickflow one.

cam....i'll let someone else chime in because i always get flamed for puttin my opinion on cams. [Roll Eyes]

[ February 10, 2008, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: F8LSN8K ]

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

so i should trade my intake for the rpm2 then? and find another cam, so i need input on cams wanna do the swap next weekend, will i feel a big gain in power?

--------------------

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

quote:
so i should trade my intake for the rpm2 then? and find another cam, so i need input on cams wanna do the swap next weekend, will i feel a big gain in power?

should feel more power and will run better overall. ya trade ur intake.

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

should i run a motorsport cam?

--------------------

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

quote:
should i run a motorsport cam?

when i do my heads and cam. i personally am goin with 165 afr's and a f303 cam. dont care what anyone says, thats just me.

u can get a f cam or what for some one to chime in and tell u get a custom cam or somethin more specific.

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

do you think the x-cam would be too much?

--------------------

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What you need to do is simple: Contact Ford Motorsports and ask them what they recommend. Your primary go fast part will remain Ford (heads) so the best thing to do is to talk to the guys who built that part and see what success they've had with various cam and intake combos. They will give you excellent advice since it's their product you're using.

Quick example: During one of my previous builds, a few years back, I just couldn't seem to nail down the perfect cam. So, I contacted my top three choices; Ford, Anderson FM, and TrickFlow. They all replied to my questions, even complimented one anothers products, while outlining the drawbacks/advantages of using each one of their cams instead of someone elses. In the end, and a dozen e-mails later, Trickflow suited MY combo best and ended up getting me into the high 12's with off the shelf parts and no fine tuning whatsoever... I hadn't even upgraded my fuel or electronics yet!

Bottom line: The TrickFlow cam complimented MY parts best and made my little pony a sweet runner. Do a little legwork on the front end and enjoy a much better performing combination on the back end. I have done this on every build since and I've enjoyed outstanding results.

My .02 for the day [patriot]

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
caballosalvaje331
¯
Member # 8137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for caballosalvaje331  Ford pictures for caballosalvaje331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i've heard a lot of good stuff aboud trickflow stage 1. that is the cam i'm putting on my car when i do my heads and intake. sounds real nice too.

--------------------
stangless but still own a ford

Posts: 343 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Quick 88LX:
What you need to do is simple: Contact Ford Motorsports and ask them what they recommend. Your primary go fast part will remain Ford (heads) so the best thing to do is to talk to the guys who built that part and see what success they've had with various cam and intake combos. They will give you excellent advice since it's their product you're using.

Quick example: During one of my previous builds, a few years back, I just couldn't seem to nail down the perfect cam. So, I contacted my top three choices; Ford, Anderson FM, and TrickFlow. They all replied to my questions, even complimented one anothers products, while outlining the drawbacks/advantages of using each one of their cams instead of someone elses. In the end, and a dozen e-mails later, Trickflow suited MY combo best and ended up getting me into the high 12's with off the shelf parts and no fine tuning whatsoever... I hadn't even upgraded my fuel or electronics yet!

Bottom line: The TrickFlow cam complimented MY parts best and made my little pony a sweet runner. Do a little legwork on the front end and enjoy a much better performing combination on the back end. I have done this on every build since and I've enjoyed outstanding results.

My .02 for the day [patriot]

sup nick? long time no see!what u been up too, and do u still have the fox?

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

if thats the case with the tfs1 than the f cam should be just as good if not better.

tfs1..... .221/.225 .499/.510 112lsa

f303.... .226/.226 .512/.512 114lsa

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

can the f cam be installed strait up on the stock bottom end? will it make alot of power and with nitrous later on?

--------------------

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

quote:
can the f cam be installed strait up on the stock bottom end?

what u mean exactly?

quote:
will it make alot of power and with nitrous later on?

ya it can.

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by F8LSN8K:
if thats the case with the tfs1 than the f cam should be just as good if not better.

Why do you think that? Split duration cams work well with those heads. They are not that strong on the exhaust. I ran a E-cam with my GT40x heads and it worked out well. My heads have nice port work done to them. Plus the e-cam was free lol. One thing for sure whoever helped you set up your first combo ,do not use them again.

[ February 10, 2008, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
quote:
Originally posted by F8LSN8K:

Why do you think that? Split duration cams work well with those heads. They are not that strong on the exhaust. I ran a E-cam with my GT40x heads and it worked out well. My heads have nice port work done to them. Plus the e-cam was free lol
u just contradicted urself.....guys has ford heads..u said "Split duration cams work well with those heads." then u said "I ran a E-cam with my GT40x heads and it worked out well" which are fords heads aswell. so [Confused]

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

caballosalvaje331
¯
Member # 8137

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for caballosalvaje331  Ford pictures for caballosalvaje331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey guys would the f cam pass smog? see i have a 95gt auto, and i 've heard if the lope is higher is better for the computer, is that true, lope on f cam 114 and i believe the stock cam is 115. reason i'm asking is cost if i'm putting a cam on my car i want to be computer friendly, don't have the money for custom tune.

--------------------

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

quote:
Originally posted by caballosalvaje331:
hey guys would the f cam pass smog? see i have a 95gt auto, and i 've heard if the lope is higher is better for the computer, is that true, lope on f cam 114 and i believe the stock cam is 115. reason i'm asking is cost if i'm putting a cam on my car i want to be computer friendly, don't have the money for custom tune.

the f cam probably could pass smog. in a sn95 computers are sensitive to mods. so might be a pain in the ass for the car to idle. even when i did my e cam, car didnt wanna idle so had to go tune it. u can probably make it idle without a tune if the person knows what they are doin and how to set shit up. in my case he just "threw it in"

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

i meant will the cam need to be retarded to clear the pistons? and will it make good power?

--------------------

caballosalvaje331
¯
Member # 8137

quote:
i meant will the cam need to be retarded to clear the pistons? and will it make good power?

i've read somewhere that tricflow stage 1 will clear, piston if using 1.9 intake and 1.6 ex valves. dont' know about the f cam.

--------------------

caballosalvaje331
¯
Member # 8137

but i's always better to check piston to valves clearance just to be safe.

--------------------

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com