Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » dissapointed in car,please help (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: dissapointed in car,please help
Chris C.
¯
Member # 1949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris C.  Ford pictures for Chris C.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
..... I am out here in Okinawa, you know, doing my Marine Corps thing.... [/QB]
Did u eat the banana? [Razz]

--------------------
-1990 Coupe

Posts: 636 | From: San Jose, Ca | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
n2o347cobra
Member # 8208

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for n2o347cobra  Ford pictures for n2o347cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had the e cam in my 94 cobra with gt 40 heads and the track heat with 1.7s it had idle problems but ran strong.then my mom got a 95 cobra and i put the trick flow stage 1 cam on her car with a cobra intak and 1.7s and i liked the trick flow cam a little better it has good power thru the rpm its all in set up..
badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazlx  Ford pictures for badazlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does anyone know the powerband on these cams:
fms b-303
fms f-303
tfs stg1

--------------------
03 mach bolt ons/125 shot

threethirty1
¯
Member # 7814

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for threethirty1  Ford pictures for threethirty1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have the tfs 1 on my 331....talk about a mismatch combo...stops at like 5600......... but the RPM 2 and the afr 185's keep goin ha kinda sux

--------------------
1987 Black GT
factory zero option car

badazlx
¯
Member # 4899

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazlx  Ford pictures for badazlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats what i dont want, i want something that drops off around 5800 or 6000.

--------------------
03 mach bolt ons/125 shot

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by threethirty1:
i have the tfs 1 on my 331....talk about a mismatch combo...stops at like 5600......... but the RPM 2 and the afr 185's keep goin ha kinda sux

throw a XE274HR in that thing you will love it.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thirteen Twenty  Ford pictures for Thirteen Twenty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
o.k. so I glanced over most of the posts... what is it with ford guys and retarding a cam [Confused] that in my opinion is the quickest way to be slow on the street. I get the feeling alot of you need to retard the cam in order to gain piston to valve clearance, well why don't you just send me $150 in the mail for free. The thought of retarding a cam for this reason is a waste of a good cam for sure. 90% of the time I will advance a cam on the street or run it straight up. If you have to retard it then buy a different cam or notch/ change your pistons. Otherwise I'll be waiting for you when you finally get to the next light. [Wink]

srry for the ranting but I feel most of you have run these cams retarded due to poor advise in the past and wish to put a stop to it.

Posts: 647 | From: union city | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Thirteen Twenty:
o.k. so I glanced over most of the posts... what is it with ford guys and retarding a cam [Confused] that in my opinion is the quickest way to be slow on the street.

Not if you have a turbo car.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thirteen Twenty  Ford pictures for Thirteen Twenty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by turbo50:
quote:
o.k. so I glanced over most of the posts... what is it with ford guys and retarding a cam [Confused] that in my opinion is the quickest way to be slow on the street.

I agree srry I was speaking n/a drag racer or street car
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well since you agree then you probably know what you are talking about!!

Right on.

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well since you agree then you probably know what you are talking about!!

Right on.

for close to the same reasons as a wide LSA on any boosted or nox cam grind I would think

[ February 14, 2008, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Thirteen Twenty ]

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol why retard the cam on a turbo car? why not just buy the correct one in the first place? there is a person other than me(I only try it if it actualy is asking for it) who loves retarding OTS cams. He has some very fast cars and must be to busy to chime in. I have found if you get the correct cam in the first place, retarding it 4 deg or adv 4 deg show almost zero gain and you would feel it anyhow.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
lol why retard the cam on a turbo car? why not just buy the correct one in the first place? there is a person other than me(I only try it if it actualy is asking for it) who loves retarding OTS cams. He has some very fast cars and must be to busy to chime in. I have found if you get the correct cam in the first place, retarding it 4 deg or adv 4 deg show almost zero gain and you would feel it anyhow.

I've felt gains advancing cams, sure you could have it custom ground so you could call it straight up, but for me it's 2-4 deg advanced on the street
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

you must have a better butt meter than most. Most dyno sims show 2 to 3 hp or TQ changes either way.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

lol on the butt meter, however if I told you you could pick up 3 hp for 20$ in gaskets and less than an hour wouldn't you??
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

lol I would pay 20.00 dollars just to see you degree my cam in less than a hour.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

not talking about degreeing the cam but if you already have a running set up in a 5.0 then yes the front end could be torn down, timing changed and reassembled in an hour easy. not mod motors of course.
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
o.k. so I glanced over most of the posts... what is it with ford guys and retarding a cam [Confused] that in my opinion is the quickest way to be slow on the street. I get the feeling alot of you need to retard the cam in order to gain piston to valve clearance, well why don't you just send me $150 in the mail for free. The thought of retarding a cam for this reason is a waste of a good cam for sure. 90% of the time I will advance a cam on the street or run it straight up. If you have to retard it then buy a different cam or notch/ change your pistons. Otherwise I'll be waiting for you when you finally get to the next light. [Wink]

srry for the ranting but I feel most of you have run these cams retarded due to poor advise in the past and wish to put a stop to it.

There are PLENTY of reasons for retarding a cam other than gaining P to V clearance, likewise there are more than one for advancing a cam. Things like the weight of the vehicle, useable RPM range, gear ratio, transmission ratio, and the engine's combo in general are just a few.

No need to applogize for the rant, you can save the applogies for the next time you advance a cam too much and it kisses a piston.

You have got to be a MoPar guy...lol

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

lol sorry I disagree, I would pay to see it done correctly. I have been a profesional mechanic since 1985 working at a ford dealer for over 4 years of that. You can not pull a 5.0 in a stall and drive it out in a hour with the timming chain re-degreed. [BS flag] I would put 500.00 dollars on it.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
[QUOTE]You have got to be a MoPar guy...lol

now that is just a brutal attack lol, you should be banned for that.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

lol @ mopar guy, yes I am....
and for $500 I'd be happy to, if you can't pull down the front end on a 5.0, either advance the cam using a three keyway timing chain set or use an offset cam key ( of which I'm sure by now you have never heard of) and button it back up, then I'm glad I'm not the one paying you by the hour to work on my car. I'm not saying it is a 10 min job, but it sure as hell shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. I've been wrenching long enough to know that I can accomplish this in about an hour.

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

OK when do you want to do this ? I have tons of air tools you can do this in my driveway. All gaskets cleaned and replaced vehical up and running retimmed filled with coolant. say when? I need the extra money. I will put up 300.00 cash and my rockerarms and girdle you want or 500.00 in cash. Just have cash in hand to pay if you loose. I hope you can do it I will be rooting for you. We can video tape it for confirmation. I am not doubting your mechanicing ability. I worked flat rate for over 10 years and always made money doin it so you can call me slow if you want.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

nothing like a good pissing contest, lol. so you have a 5.0 with an adjustable timing chain set, or an off set cam key, and want me to come advance it??
what year car?? 15 or 17" wheels??

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

I just apreciate good work and I like to gamble. So it isn't a pissing contest. Heck I have won more cash than that on 1 hand of texas holdem. I haven't lost that much on one hand yet thank god lol. 15 inch. For this I could make a call and get one of 3 by tommorow. 89 to 90 Fox with AC power steering the works. 60 minutes lol hope a bolt doesn't break.....

[ February 14, 2008, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1994 F150 4X4 351

Thirteen Twenty
¯
Member # 7961

the only bolts that usually snap are the water pump bolts, and obviously that would kill time, one of 3 cars huh? do all these have adjustable gears on them?? tomorrow isn't going to work since your in redding ( 3 or 4 hrs drive) and I have work to do, but it might be worth it to go out there some time for those rockers....

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com