Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 347 Stroker for an 87 5.0 (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 347 Stroker for an 87 5.0
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys,
I was thinking about getting a 347 stroker for my 5.0 cuz iam going to be ready for a rebuild pretty soon and thought why not go bigger. So i decided to post it up and get some info before i do it. I was wondering what are some good kits and i keep hearing that the kits come with shitty pistons so what is are good pitons? And much do the kits usaully run?
--Thanks--

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
unless you have money to get heads and a new cam with it it might not be worth it.....a 347 with stock heads will actually be slower.....

A lot of the newer kits come with much much better pistons nowadays.....It'll prob cost you around to 3 to 4K with a good kit and machine work...

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Really 3 to 4k damn i better start penny pinchin.

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PWR HNGRY 302:

well you got to figure a good kit will cost you about $1200 to $1500.....and then you'll have to get the machine work done on the engine which is another cost...plus you'll end replacing ALL gaskets and other misc things....

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

quote:
Originally posted by jordan_0806:
quote:

well you got to figure a good kit will cost you about $1200 to $1500.....and then you'll have to get the machine work done on the engine which is another cost...plus you'll end replacing ALL gaskets and other misc things....
Yea that adds up gaskets can get expensive, The valve cover i bought from you cracked so i had too get another set of gaskets and put the stock ones back on [Frown] so i ended up buying another set.

[ December 11, 2005, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: PWR HNGRY 302 ]

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Eagle347
¯
Member # 6205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eagle347  Ford pictures for Eagle347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought a 347 stroker short block online for $2500.00. It has a forged eagle crank, eagle forged H-beam rods, and forged SRP pistons. You cant beat that price for those good of parts, he has the best prices I could find, and he ships for free. I was going to build a stroker out of my stock block, but it was way cheaper to buy one already built. That stroker kit is $1900.00 alone. Let me know if you want more info.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 1 of 1002 deep forest green GTS's made. Bone stock.

1990 Coupe 347 NX E85 Nitrous kit

Posts: 712 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You will not find better prices then from Brian @ ADPerformance.

The 347's we build generally will set you back $3000-$3500 depending on options (ARP hardware, girdles, optional machinework, etc).....but we automatically upgrade certain parts like rods, rod bolts, wrist pins, locks, & rings.

IMO, if you're going to spend the $$$.....get the best stuff you can & get it done right the first time.

One of our customers bought a crate 347 longblock from a well known company (I won't name names). He had multiple issues & finally tore down the motor only to find a 4.030" bore block w/ 4.00" pistons! Mistakes happen....

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
must have been one of those 100 engines a month places.

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

Eagle347
¯
Member # 6205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eagle347  Ford pictures for Eagle347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My builder throws in free girdles, and uses ARP harware. If you guys have better prices, I could not find you on the web. One big reason I bought mine from where I did was the free shipping. There is not a decent builder around me, thats why I bought out of state. But if you can find a good deal locally I would go for it, but good luck! Link

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 1 of 1002 deep forest green GTS's made. Bone stock.

1990 Coupe 347 NX E85 Nitrous kit

Posts: 712 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:

The 347's we build generally will set you back $3000-$3500 depending on options (ARP hardware, girdles, optional machinework, etc).....but we automatically upgrade certain parts like rods, rod bolts, wrist pins, locks, & rings.

IMO, if you're going to spend the $$$.....get the best stuff you can & get it done right the first time.

One of our customers bought a crate 347 longblock from a well known company (I won't name names). He had multiple issues & finally tore down the motor only to find a 4.030" bore block w/ 4.00" pistons! Mistakes happen....

to be honest folks...spend the extra $1k for shaun's work...it'll be stronger and more reliable....

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We typically don't have the best prices....we don't price match.
We build with the best parts we can get a hold of at decent prices.... On average we do ~50 engines a year.... We take our time & do the best job we can.
We do this because we warranty our motors. We don't cut corners because eventually it'll bite you in the ass.

Nobody is perfect. Shit happens sometimes. It's how you deal with those issues that defines the reputation a shop has.
In the case of the 4.030" bore/4.00" pistons, the shop that built the engine is taking care of the problem at no charge to the customer as far as I know.
Still, it's MUCH easier to drive a problem into a local shop that built the motor vs pulling the engine, shipping it out, & arguing on the phone with a shop a thousand miles away.

Basically your best bet on a quality engine is to have it built by a local shop that stands by their work & that you trust....even if that means spending a little more $$$ up front. In the long run, it's well worth it IMO.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
Originally posted by jordan_0806:
quote:

to be honest folks...spend the extra $1k for shaun's work...it'll be stronger and more reliable....
I don't know about stronger if it's going into a production 5.0L roller block. The stock Cast crankshaft can handle more then the block can take..
When it comes to the guys on a budget it really comes down to parts selection & of course quality machinework/build. Typically these guys aren't willing to spend the $$$ on 'knife edging', chamfering, polishing, etc. The labor for all that adds up fast.

I'm not a huge fan of Eagle crankshafts. They are strong, no doubt about that, they are cheap & for the money are hard to beat...but they don't have radiused counterweights. For about the same price you can get a Scat crankshaft that'll handle the same power & it is cast/forged with radiused counterweights.....which is worth a little bit of power....so I tend to discourage our customers from buying Eagle Cranks.

Eagle SIR rods & Probe CNC rods I don't like either. They are not heavy & can handle more power then the stock block can.....I just don't like the design. Where the strength is needed most there's a sharp cut for the rod bolt. I prefer cap-screw I beams....but most of our customers want H.
With the 347 there's also rod length to consider. 5.400" or 5.315". The difference comes into play with the piston. Specifically where the pin is located. With a 5.4" rod the pin & oil rings intersect which can cause oil to be scrapped up into the combustion chamber. With the 5.315 rods the pin is out of the oil ring (like a 331). Obviously there's rod weight to consider as well. A shorter rod will be lighter, however a shorter rod will tyically mean a heavier piston.
There's a bunch of other parts considerations as well....but those are just a few specific to the 347. This is where most of the extra cost comes into play.

FWIW, I don't like main stud girdles.....especially aluminum ones. Aluminum expands at a much faster rate than Iron....therefore an aluminum girdle will expand at a faster rate then the iron maincaps. If the girdle is allowed to expand & flex the mains, bearing clearance is only .0015-.002"....so clearances go to shit FAST. Typically you'll see aluminum girdles that 'float' on the main caps with washers... This allows the aluminum to expand without affecting the maincaps.....but then what is the benefit of a girdle?
Then there's the question of is a girdle really worth it. Even a steel girdle is not going to keep the block from cracking in half from too much power. Sure, it may keep the main caps from walking at high RPM, but it can not keep it from cracking from too much power. Typically an overpowered 5.0 will fail in the main webbing....under the lifter galley. The newest girdles are lifter valley girdles. In theory they should work.....but IMO if you're planning on pushing more then 500RWHP, it's a smart move to invest in a Dart block. It can be bored .200 over & can handle more power then you'll ever make......basically it's the last block you'll ever buy.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow 93 pony,
I just learned so much from your last post is not even funny.
i'll be contacting your guys when i'm ready to get a 331. [patriot]

--------------------
=(

Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

You don't really have to break the bank to get a nice engine.... yes it is nice to have a Dart block and all the best of everything BUT the reality is most people do not need OR CAN AFFORD IT. We sell engines ranging from stock replacements to full bore race engines. If you want a nice engine without breaking the bank, consider Coast High Performance... we sell their 347 Stroker short blocks from $2000-$3500 depending on what options you want. In fact, CHP(Coast) makes THE ONLY C.A.R.B. legal 347 stroker. If you have time come by the shop and we will show you 2-3 cars which we are installing a 347 into.

And another thing which Apex offers, which no other shop offers is 0% Financing for the engine and installtion for up to 1 year.

If you are interested or would like to learn more about the Coast Engine OR our 0% 1 Year financing option please feel free to contact Chris or Mario at 408/588-0075

[ December 11, 2005, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Apexmotorsports ]

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Yep, CHP makes some good stuff. I just wouldn't recomend their budget shortblocks.

Here's a 347 I recently built using CHP stuff. The article lists the upgrades & describes the full build...including a few things that can be done during assembly to make a little more power.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/10/BuildersNotebook/index.php

The 91GT the motor went into has run 10.98 @125.7mph N/A @3200lbs.

Here's another 347 buildup that's gone 10.86 @127mph N/A in a little lighter foxbody with a Carburator & solid roller profile. Built by Rob's Auto Machine

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/02/RobsMachine/index.php

[ December 11, 2005, 11:06 PM: Message edited by: 93PONY ]

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Thanks for the info. eagle347, 93pony, apex.
Iam now considering buying a motor instead of rebuilding mine. I really appreciate all the info. i want to make an informed decision before i buy anything. And yea i rather do it right the first time its much easier that way.
Keep the info. coming

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Their budget shortblocks really are pretty good if you are using it as a stock replacment. Obviously, you would not put 15Lbs of boost on a $2000 short block and expect it to last long.

Now.. if you want a NICE engine they have a 347 Shortblock they call "347ci Dominator" Here are the specs of it... not bad at all for only $3200
-4.000 to 4.040 bore - 3.400 stroke -12.5:1 Compression
* Ford SVO Sportsman Block (O-Ringed)
* 4340 forged steel crankshaft
* CHP forged steel connecting rods (5.400)
* Probe SRS forged pistons (Dome top)
* Probe Industries main girdle
* Solid roller camshaft
http://www.coasthigh.com/Assemblies/Ford/ford_347.htm

OR if you wanna go blown

347ci Street Fighter-Pro Street-Blower-$2600
-4.000 to 4.040 bore - 3.400 stroke - 8.5:1 forged piston
* Forged steel crankshaft
* CHP 4340 forged steel connecting rods (5.315)
* Probe SRS forged pistons (8.5:1)
* Dished and Blower Dish pistons available
* Probe Industries hydraulic roller camshaft

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

quote:
Originally posted by Apexmotorsports:
quote:

You don't really have to break the bank to get a nice engine.... yes it is nice to have a Dart block and all the best of everything BUT the reality is most people do not need OR CAN AFFORD IT. We sell engines ranging from stock replacements to full bore race engines. If you want a nice engine without breaking the bank, consider Coast High Performance... we sell their 347 Stroker short blocks from $2000-$3500 depending on what options you want. In fact, CHP(Coast) makes THE ONLY C.A.R.B. legal 347 stroker. If you have time come by the shop and we will show you 2-3 cars which we are installing a 347 into.

And another thing which Apex offers, which no other shop offers is 0% Financing for the engine and installtion for up to 1 year.

If you are interested or would like to learn more about the Coast Engine OR our 0% 1 Year financing option please feel free to contact Chris or Mario at 408/588-0075

Yea i would like to take a look, I actually called last week about getting my subframes put on left a message but i never got a call back.

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

quote:
Yep, CHP makes some good stuff. I just wouldn't recomend their budget shortblocks.

Here's a 347 I recently built using CHP stuff. The article lists the upgrades & describes the full build...including a few things that can be done during assembly to make a little more power.
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/10/BuildersNotebook/index.php

The 91GT the motor went into has run 10.98 @125.7mph N/A @3200lbs.

Here's another 347 buildup that's gone 10.86 @127mph N/A in a little lighter foxbody with a Carburator & solid roller profile. Built by Rob's Auto Machine

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/02/RobsMachine/index.php

How much did the top builup cost?

[ December 12, 2005, 12:28 AM: Message edited by: PWR HNGRY 302 ]

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

quote:
Originally posted by PWR HNGRY 302: Yea i would like to take a look, I actually called last week about getting my subframes put on left a message but i never got a call back. [/QB]
What day did you call? I know we have pretty pretty slammed with work..... Come on by anytime and we can show you some very nice jobs we are doing at this time.

BTW, everyone wants TONS of power, everyone says you should get the best of everything for an engine.... Well most people who say that fail to look at people's actual budgets. I would love to sell everyone a $10K engine BUT most people cannot afford it NOR do they need it.

I used to be a customer of high performance parts before I bought Apex less than 1 year ago and what I learned by being a consumer is consumers want to get the best bamg for your buck. Sure everyone wants a complete Maximum or Griggs Suspension BUT not everyone can afford it so peole will settle for what will make them happy.

If you want the ULTIMATE engine we can provide you one from Top of The Hill Performance. They are one of THE BEST engine builders around.. no one can argue that. BUT they are VERY expensive...

[ December 12, 2005, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Apexmotorsports ]

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

quote:
Originally posted by Apexmotorsports:
quote:
Originally posted by PWR HNGRY 302: Yea i would like to take a look, I actually called last week about getting my subframes put on left a message but i never got a call back.

What day did you call? I know we have pretty pretty slammed with work..... Come on by anytime and we can show you some very nice jobs we are doing at this time.

BTW, everyone wants TONS of power, everyone says you should get the best of everything for an engine.... Well most people who say that fail to look at people's actual budgets. I would love to sell everyone a $10K engine BUT most people cannot afford it NOR do they need it. [/QB]

LOL thats very true. It was last Monday. You have a pm.

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

PWR HNGRY 302,

It really blows me away that everyone says people should get the best engine possible without considering people's budgets. Many people make it sound like there is ONLY "1" option.. "Either all the way or no way".. which is wrong. So what should people do if they cannot get the "BEST" engine money can buy?

Let's be honest, the majority of users on this board is under 30 years old and cannot afford a $15K+ engine job. Crate engines from manufacturers like CHP are pretty good regardless of what people say. If they where really that bad they would be out of business REAL fast. And yes they do make mistakes just like all shops do.. BUT since they produce 100+ engines per month there will be more mistakes just because they produce more units. The % of mistakes by CHP is probably the same if not less than many machine shops.

[ December 12, 2005, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: Apexmotorsports ]

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks i appreciate that,but i know its just talk everybody wants the best but most people can't afford it. But I would like to get the best stuff right away I just cant afford so what I try to do now after making many mistakes is to make an informed decision and thanks to cafords i can. [patriot]

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

CAfords is a great forum and resource for users. It allows everyone a nice forum to discuss their questions and problems. It also allows people to share their experiences

[patriot]

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Its helped me out a lot. I found a lot of cool people on here and many parts that ive got good deals on.

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com