Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 347 Stroker for an 87 5.0 (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 347 Stroker for an 87 5.0
CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WOW!!! Your slamming a person that buys your products this bad??? [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Shawn's results have spoke for him, no arguments there. I can also say I have never had a problem with their engines and I have beat up a few of them pretty often.. [patriot]

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PWR HNGRY 302:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark O'Neal:
quote:
I want to run low 11's but because i have a high miliage motor and a was planning on rebuilding so i thought why not go bigger.
You should, especially if it's a street/street and strip car.

Again, that broad torque curve make the car a lot nicer to drive.

But as was posted, let your budget dictate your build, don't let your build dictate your budget. Engine builders that sell you stuff that you flat out do not need to accomplish your goals should be studiously avoided.

I always for knowiong what you want to do and to it without spending any more than required.

Yea thats what i need to do but like everybody else my plans are waaaay ahead of my budget.
You COULD rebuild the 302, probably for around 12-1500.00 (Maybe less if you can do some yourself). A set of heads add 1000. Intake - 400 for a TFS. You'd be alot closer to those 11's than a 347 with stock heads....
You'd spend about the same on a 351 rebuild, but add headers, oil pan, a little more for bigger heads
abd you'd probably be in the 11's...
OH, you'll need to convert to mass air, unless you've already done so. No matter which route you take. Your stock computer is NOT going to like most of the changes we've talked about.

Like has been said, start with the budget and THEN pick your parts....

Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by a50sn95:

You COULD rebuild the 302, probably for around 12-1500.00 (Maybe less if you can do some yourself). .... [/QUOTE]

It would be REAL hard to get a decent rebuild which will last and hold up for $1200. You can get a completely assembled CHP/ Coast 347 for only $2599.99 AND it has quite a bit of forged internals. It may not be a full out race engine BUT it is pretty damn good for the price. CHP/ Coast is definitely not the best product in the world BUT when you put price into the equation they are very hard to beat.. GREAT BANG FOR THE BUCK!

* Forged steel crankshaft
* CHP 4340 forged steel connecting rods
* Probe SRS forged pistons
* Dished and Blower Dish pistons available
* Probe Industries hydraulic roller camshaft

[ December 14, 2005, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Apexmotorsports ]

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Apexmotorsports:

* Forged steel crankshaft
* CHP 4340 forged steel connecting rods
* Probe SRS forged pistons
* Dished and Blower Dish pistons available
* Probe Industries hydraulic roller camshaft

But none of this does him any good without $2000.00 worth of top end. AND, PLENTY of stock shortblocks hold up well in the 400hp range.
He really needs to define WHAT the car is going to PRIMARILY be used for.
If we're building a drag (or track) car or a street car....
AND all of those parts are FAR stronger than a stock BLOCK is going to be...

[ December 14, 2005, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: a50sn95 ]

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Just food for thought... web page

Notice the 456 hp at 6000 RPM, which is probably as high as you should take a stock block and expect it to live...

[ December 14, 2005, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: a50sn95 ]

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by a50sn95:
Just food for thought... web page

Notice the 456 hp at 6000 RPM, which is probably as high as you should take a stock block and expect it to live...

Thanks for the link, I will primarily use my car as a street/strip car a lot more street usage though but only because its my only car. I have the mass air conversion stuff in my garage just waiting to be put on. Would it be cheaper to rebuild my 302 then put some heads/cam/intake and still make it into the 11's?
My motor runs just fine but because its a high miliage motor i didn't want to put h/c/i and have the motor give out on me.

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

I think you can get there with a 302. I think you need to do your homework on the rest of the car. It's not going to happen with just horsepower.
400 HP should be enough to get you there, but you have to have the rest of the car ready too.

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea thats why iam trying to work on suspension right now while i put money to the side for the motor. I figure that by the end of next summer i should have enough to get the motor. But yea I like to post up any ideas i have or plans before i actually do them so i can get some feedback and make the right choice.

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Iam thinking about just rebuilding my motor and then some time in the future getting a stroker.

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is your engine about to die? If it still runs and is pretty strong I would just keep driving it until it dies. Don't spend the money on the rebuild unless you have too since you are goint to be getting a 347 in the future.
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

No its just because the original block has a lot of miles on it I hear that my motor might not handle the mods such as h/c/i to well.

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Just save your money right now. Drive it until the engine dies and then you'll have saved up some money and can get what you want.
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Thats what I really need to do but iam kinda impatiant but your right I don't want to waste my money on rebuilding it and then just buying another motor.

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com