Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » BLOWER vs TURBO (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: BLOWER vs TURBO
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, I just want to clear up a few things...

My first and only point was that Eric mentioned that turbos get full boost faster...My point is they don't...

I never said that a Kenne bell is better than a turbo or even a Centrifugal blower...If I was buying a kit, I'd get a Vortech, just because of the streetability of the kit...I don't think that turbo kits for a 5.0 or a 4.6 Mustang are for daily drivers...I'm not saying they can't be, and I'm not saying they're worse, I'm just saying that between smog and melting components under the hood is not the best thing for a daily driver...

Shuan~So, you're saying that a kenne bell supercharger that hits 8psi at 2000rpm until red line (around 5,500) will have less "Average power from a given RPM to redline" than a turbo that produces 8psi????????...I don't think so....

That's the only point I'm making...If anyone wants to talk about best track numbers or peak numbers, or power above a certain rpm, or a turbo vs kenne bell vs vortech vs ATI vs whatever go ahead, I'm not debating that.... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SlipNslide281:
quote:
a blower can build boost instantly correct but wont see full boost untill 5k or redline
Really depends on your tune, and if its a roots blower vs centrifical, I have the stock 03 cobra roots blower and it kicks in at 1900 to 2100 rpms and goes just about straight accross the board, a constant pull. Depends on the Tune. A centrifical blower needs to spool up a bit kinda like a turbo. Both have there pros and cons.
I was talkin about a centrifugal blower like a ATI/Paxton/Vortec. Sorry if I didnt make that clear, when I talk about blowers I dont count roots( lets not make this a different debate, remember he asked turbo or blower and lets keep it to his ?)i just dont like them. my $.02

As for 9cobra9 ?, I personally would get the ATI because it comes with a intercooler, im sure most on this board will tell you Vortec because of problems with the ATI's in the past. I know a couple of people, some of the fastest on this board have ATI's [patriot] , and havent had a problem at all. I know your lookin for boost but I still say run NAWZ [Big Grin] on the street

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
trbo50
¯
Member # 1671

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for trbo50  Ford pictures for trbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been an advocate of turbos for years now and have proven success with them. Starting with my stock block, stock crank setup that went 9.30 to my 7 sec outlaw car. With the right tune up, a turbo combo will give you the most bang for buck and the least amount of maintaince and breakage. Turbo lag is not an issue with a stick or auto. Most of us are drag racing so the "lag" everyone is referring to is insignificant. I'm looking forward to seeing more turbo cars here in the Bay Area.
*SlipNslide281*
¯
Member # 622

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *SlipNslide281*  Ford pictures for *SlipNslide281*  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Shuan, You can't tell me that you can get 8psi at only 2000rpm
sure you can, I get probly 10 to 11 psi around 2000rpm. Thats with a stock 03 cobra blower, 2.8mm pulley, and a tune. So Im sure a Keeny Bell could do better. here is my dyn chart. The lower lines is before the tune and pulley and the seceond upper set of lines is after the tune. yes it tapers off at the end which a Cintrifical probably would not but the low end gets me out of the whole, and the tune keeps it a pretty constant pull.

-

Posts: 1817 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I vote turbo just for all out efficiency of power being made. Only problem with Turbos is the fact that I don't think people know turbos like they know blowers yet. Once the turbo knowledge catches up, blowers will be a thing of the past in my mind. You'll see a hell of a lot of turbo cars instead of everyone and their mother running a vortech. I've ran the jug and realized I could handle the power with no problem. Whether it be a new motor in this car or a new car, my next car will have boost and maybe the jug as well. As long as it's fun to drive, who gives a shit [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by *SlipNslide281*:
quote:
Shuan, You can't tell me that you can get 8psi at only 2000rpm
sure you can, I get probly 10 to 11 psi around 2000rpm. Thats with a stock 03 cobra blower, 2.8mm pulley, and a tune. So Im sure a Keeny Bell could do better. here is my dyn chart. The lower lines is before the tune and pulley and the seceond upper set of lines is after the tune. yes it tapers off at the end which a Cintrifical probably would not but the low end gets me out of the whole, and the tune keeps it a pretty constant pull.

-

Thanks, your supporting me in this debate... [patriot]

LOL...When I said, "Shuan, You can't tell me that you can get 8psi at only 2000rpm", I meant just HIM...Shaun/93Pony has a 331 twin turbo 93 Cobra..I wanted to see if HE can hit 8psi at only 2000rpm with his Cobra....

Your dyno graph is exactly what I'm talking about!... [worship]

[ May 17, 2004, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

double post

[ May 17, 2004, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:

Shuan~So, you're saying that a kenne bell supercharger that hits 8psi at 2000rpm until red line (around 5,500) will have less "Average power from a given RPM to redline" than a turbo that produces 8psi????????...I don't think so....

That's the only point I'm making...If anyone wants to talk about best track numbers or peak numbers, or power above a certain rpm, or a turbo vs kenne bell vs vortech vs ATI vs whatever go ahead, I'm not debating that.... [patriot]

I'd be willing to bet that Shauns motor makes more average rwhp from 2000-6000rpms with his Incon kit @ 8psi then it would with a Kenne Bell @ 8psi.

[dance]

[ May 17, 2004, 02:58 PM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
*SlipNslide281*
¯
Member # 622

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *SlipNslide281*  Ford pictures for *SlipNslide281*  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Black94 5.0 LOL Glad I could help [Big Grin]
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

My first and only point was that Eric mentioned that turbos get full boost faster...My point is they don't...

I never said that a Kenne bell is better than a turbo or even a Centrifugal blower...If I was buying a kit, I'd get a Vortech, just because of the streetability of the kit...I don't think that turbo kits for a 5.0 or a 4.6 Mustang are for daily drivers...I'm not saying they can't be, and I'm not saying they're worse, I'm just saying that between smog and melting components under the hood is not the best thing for a daily driver...

when i said the turbo will make boost faster than the the supercharger, that is because i was talking about an ati/vortech/paxton type, I doubt the 9cobra9 was even considering a kennebell or an eaton

and yes, 93pony's car would make more power under the curve and on top end with his twin turbo's, because driving the compressor with exhaust gas is much mor efficient than driving the compressor with a belt, so less power lost to turning the compressor wheel

and this whole lag arguement

when u are racing someone, how often are u under 3k rpms anyway

and if street racing on street tires, i woundnt want instant boost at 2k rpm, that would just equal [burnout] [burnout]

now if on slicks it would matter, because u are launching higher than 3k anyway

turbo(s) [Big Grin]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

r1
CAFords OG
Member # 1144

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for r1  Ford pictures for r1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
rob has a 2 step in his car, and he sees boost while not even moving [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
shit breaks then you buy the good stuff

*SlipNslide281*
¯
Member # 622

quote:
and if street racing on street tires, i woundnt want instant boost at 2k rpm, that would just equal

I agree but Im not bragging at all just what I have experienced. I ran street tires on my 03 cobra and still hit a 1.9 60foot. while others there with 03 cobras were getting 2.4 60 foots, and above on DR's. So I guess it's how you know your car. I would much have rather driven on DR's but it is possible to keep traction. so I like my instant boost. [Big Grin]
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

By FAR the turbo will make more power per lb of boost than ANY SC on the market today.

5LVenom basically has one of my previous setups (stock GT40 iron heads, cobra intake, 331, etc) but with an E303 vs my stock GT cam, an S-trim VS my Incons, & an off-road exhaust vs my high-flow catted setup.

Both setups made 430RWHP by 5K rpm.....my turbo setup made over 500RWTQ before 4KRPM. Average power... When I went to a custom cam & off-road exhaust the setup picked up 5-6mph in the 1/4.....at 9psi max boost.

No, my current setup does NOT make 8psi at 2000rpm. I do not have it set up that way. In fact, I have it set at the lowest setting I can....which is 7-8psi on the Incon actuators. I hit that boost around 3K & get boost creep till I shift (about 12psi). If I were to buy a boost controller & set it at 12psi the motor would gain MASSIVE midrange power...but, I have traction problems as it is.

I've said it before & I'll say it again. Show me a similar displacement motor with low-flowing heads (around 200cfm on the intake) that runs 127+mph in the 1/4 at a raceweight over 3500lbs with 12lbs of boost (or less) from a SC & I will shut my mouth about turbos.

BTW, Centrifugal superchargers have 'Lag'. V8 street turbo's do NOT.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
[QUOTE]By FAR the turbo will make more power per lb of boost than ANY SC on the market today.

5LVenom basically has one of my previous setups (stock GT40 iron heads, cobra intake, 331, etc) but with an E303 vs my stock GT cam, an S-trim VS my Incons, & an off-road exhaust vs my high-flow catted setup.

Both setups made 430RWHP by 5K rpm.....my turbo setup made over 500RWTQ before 4KRPM. Average power... When I went to a custom cam & off-road exhaust the setup picked up 5-6mph in the 1/4.....at 9psi max boost.

No, my current setup does NOT make 8psi at 2000rpm.

1)I never said a blower would make more power than a turbo...

2)5Lvenom has an S-trim notice I said Kenne bell???????...Shaun, don't you have an air-to-air intercooler and does 5Lvenom??..I'm only comparing a Kenne bell simply because it builds boost instantly and I'm talking about "AVERAGE" horse power....Yeah, blowers take horse power to run, but you won't get full boost at 2000rpm either....

3)I'm only trying to make a point that superchargers build boost faster...AC66 you have a great point about full boost at 2000rpm and traction, but it's power across the rpm range that makes you fast and you're only as fast as your traction anyway...

4) Shaun~ Your car is bad ass, I'm not trying to down play that in anyway...

5)Jeff S, I shoulda taken that bet... [Wink]

[patriot]

--------------------

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]By FAR the turbo will make more power per lb of boost than ANY SC on the market today.

No, my current setup does NOT make 8psi at 2000rpm.

1)I never said a blower would make more power than a turbo...

2)5Lvenom has an S-trim notice I said Kenne bell???????...Shaun, don't you have an air-to-air intercooler and does 5Lvenom??..I'm only comparing a Kenne bell simply because it builds boost instantly and I'm talking about "AVERAGE" horse power....Yeah, blowers take horse power to run, but you won't get full boost at 2000rpm either....

3)I'm only trying to make a point that superchargers build boost faster...AC66 you have a great point about full boost at 2000rpm and traction, but it's power across the rpm range that makes you fast and you're only as fast as your traction anyway...

4) Shaun~ Your car is bad ass, I'm not trying to down play that in anyway...

5)Jeff S, I shoulda taken that bet... [Wink]

[patriot]

Who the fuck cares about 8psi at 2000rpm!?!

You said a turbo would not make more average power from a give rpm to redline then a roots blower. You are WRONG. Boost is only one aspect of what it takes to make power. Heat & timing play BIG roles as well. If you're pumping in 180 degree air into a motor at 8psi how much timing do you think it'll be running on 91 octane? How about the same 8psi at 100 degrees? And what about the power it takes to turn the blower?

A good turbo setup will add 20-25RWHP per lb of boost on a typical mustang 5.0. SC's are in the 18-20RWHP range. Roots are below that.

The intercooler on my car has been proven to add a whopping 20rwhp with 80mph wind on it.....on the dyno.

Superchargers do NOT build boost faster. At least not every supercharger. Turbo's & centrifugal blowers have very similar compressor units...they must spin very high RPM in order to make boost. Turbo's spin 2-3 times as fast as any blower out there. The faster you spin it, the more boost it'll make. Centrifugal blowers spin based on engine RPM, therefore they can NOT make boost as fast as a Turbo that spins off heat & pressure...which can be very high at low RPM/high load conditions. Roots blowers are some of the least efficient power adders available...why even bother IMO. Sure, you get massive torque down low (still NOT what a turbo can do!) & they're RPM limited....and they produce massive heat (which is the main drawback)

& as for turbo lag....ask the local LS1's on nitrous how fast I get full boost from a 45mph punch. It's just a hair slower then their N2O shot.

I've heard all your arguments before...from countless individuals who really don't know shit about turbo's. You want to learn? Browes around on www.turbomustangs.com

One more thing, I've not melted a damn thing from hot underhood temps. Yes, there's more heat then stock, but compared to these 96+ 4.6 S-trim setups I work on....there's no real difference. Place your hand on an S-trim after it's run down the drag strip. [Wink]

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Calm down.... [Roll Eyes]

Roots superchargers DO build boost faster...You said it yourself, unless you have high load conditions a turbo wont have boost...Roots blowers are inefficiant and build more heat, you're right, but did I ever say they didn't?...Just face it I'm right about a roots blower building boost sooner than a turbo...A roots blower is connected DIRECTLY to the crank..So, EXACTLY as soon as the engine gains rpms, so does the blower...Just because you think that a roots blower is a waste of time doesn't change the fact that they can build boost right off of idle...

Did 5Lvenom have an intercooler?...I mean you can't make the same comparison if he didn't...

Now you're saying that your twin turbo has the same under hood temps as a 4.6 S-trim?...Do you daily drive your Cobra?...Maybe that's why you haven't melted anything yet...Wait, didn't you complain about the spark plug wires you've burn't on that car?...

--------------------

Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have no intercooler, don't suck me into this either, right now my car has nothing on Shauns. All I know is my car is fast, but Shauns is assraping fast. Makes me want to go to turbos. Dyno numbers don't mean shit either, if you get no traction (like me) and suck at driving at the track (like me). If you want a fast streetcar, get a cent charger, if you want a fast strip car get turbo, if you want to pull a fifth wheel to tahoe, use a roots (or turbo for that matter).

[ May 17, 2004, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: 5LVENOM ]

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a turbo equiped vehice that spools to full boost by 1800rpm

it might be a 99 f350 powerstroke diesel, but it still does it [Big Grin]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

I have the 'boost is boost?' article right here in front of me...couldn't find it online (sorry). Fasterdamnit had this posted back in June of 03 if you do a search....athough the pics of the power curves he posted are no longer active. So, here's a basic rundown straight from the article:
(too bad they didn't measure intake temps.)

327ci A4 block
Victor Jr heads
Performer RPM intake (carb)
Demon 750 carb
Comp XE266HR camshaft
8.4 to 1 compresion

Holly174ci blower
Paxton 1200 centrifugal blower
HP Performance turbo kit without intercooler

Boost at 2500rpm:
Roots: 4.8psi
Paxton: 1.7psi
Turbo: 5.7psi

Max boost:
Roots: 8psi @6000rpm
Paxton: 9.5 @6000rpm
Turbo: 9.5 @5100rpm

Max HP/TQ: (all figures are flywheel)
Roots: 535@6000rpm/513@4600rpm
Paxton: 617@6000rpm/561@5200rpm
Turbo: 600@6000rpm/617@4200rpm

AVG HP/TQ from 2500-6000rpm:
Roots: 394/483
Paxton: 412/494
Turbo: 460/564

AVG HP/TQ from 4000-6000rpm (dragstrip power):
Roots: 472/497
Paxton: 518/542
Turbo: 555/585

Notes:
1. Roots blower made 8psi max compared to 9.5 with the turbo & SC..
2. No intercooler was used on any setup.
3. Turbo boost peaked at 9.5psi at 5100rpm, then dropped to 8.5psi by 6000rpm.
4. The cam was installed 'dot-to-dot' & favors the exhaust heavily. The cam was a comprimise but favors SC motors....turbo's like heavy reverse-splits.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FasterDammit sent this to me a long time ago.

-

*SlipNslide281*
¯
Member # 622

Ok so to answer the guys question 9cobra9 first asked a question, which do you prefer, LOL Heated debate. So 9cobra9 I guess what we get out of the posts that a Turbo makes more power but you have to consider what you want, and how much your willing to pay. Price compare and you might find the answer to what YOU prefer. [Big Grin]

[ May 18, 2004, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: *SlipNslide281* ]

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:
FasterDammit sent this to me a long time ago.

-

[patriot]
Thank you!

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow, what a pissing contest. [Roll Eyes]

If you want decent power for a low price, as you indicated in one of your posts...you can't beat a used S trim or Novi 1000. Depending on what you are attempting to accomplish, and parts given, will determine what your setup is actually capable of.

It all depends on how deep your pockets are. [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Full boost at peak torque is simply incredible! No centrifugal SC that I know of can do that. Roots produce a LOT of heat & are RPM limited by design.

A turbo motor will make more power under the curve then any blower setup Period.

BTW, turbo's run off heat as well as pressure.

Most 96+ cobra's make ~390-430RWHP with Blowers & all the bolt-ons.
Check this out:
http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18046

Most 96 cobras? You guy don't have a F___ing clue about these mod motors in northern cal do you? In southern california if you made that much power with a blower something is wrong period.

Those hp numbers are not impressive for a 99 cobra with a turbo. [BS flag]

[ May 18, 2004, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: NotchBack 90 ]

J's90-LX
¯
Member # 2987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's90-LX  Ford pictures for J's90-LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NotchBack 90:
quote:
Full boost at peak torque is simply incredible! No centrifugal SC that I know of can do that. Roots produce a LOT of heat & are RPM limited by design.

A turbo motor will make more power under the curve then any blower setup Period.

BTW, turbo's run off heat as well as pressure.

Most 96+ cobra's make ~390-430RWHP with Blowers & all the bolt-ons.
Check this out:
http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18046

Most 96 cobras? You guy don't have a F___ing clue about these mod motors in northern cal do you? In southern california if you made that much power with a blower something is wrong period.

Those hp numbers are not impressive for a 99 cobra with a turbo. [BS flag]

In that link the guy even said it was a conservative tune. He just wanted a safe amount of power man. Hell they guy even said it made "DECENT" power.

--------------------
1999 Lightning
-4lb pulley,LFP intake,tune

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com