Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » BLOWER vs TURBO (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: BLOWER vs TURBO
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hate to break it to you, but fresno is not socal.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NotchBack 90:
[QUOTE]Most 96 cobras? You guy don't have a F___ing clue about these mod motors in northern cal do you? In southern california if you made that much power with a blower something is wrong period.

Those hp numbers are not impressive for a 99 cobra with a turbo. [BS flag]

I thought those numbers were good!...486rwhp from a stock long block 4V with 10-11psi of boost?...That's pretty awesome...I'm not sure how long that will last, but nice numbers all the same... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Wow, what a pissing contest. [Roll Eyes]

If you want decent power for a low price, as you indicated in one of your posts...you can't beat a used S trim or Novi 1000. Depending on what you are attempting to accomplish, and parts given, will determine what your setup is actually capable of.

It all depends on how deep your pockets are. [Wink]

exactly, there is a reason why turbos are more money and have more into them then just a blower and two pipes and an extra belt. If I had the money when I bought my S-trim I would have gotten a turbo, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got on the S-trim. S-trims are cheap and very available used.

The question of which one is better will always be a big argument, just like Ford vs. Chevy, its all in what you like.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't want more than 400 rwhp from a stock bottom dohc. [Eek!]

It's bound to break so F that.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry for getting all late on this but. I have a V-1 on my Cobra and its built block. I made about 479.5 @ 6K and @ 10.0lbs of boost. I think those are respectable numbers. I love my supercharger and I got a deal to good to be true on it but EVENTUALLY when I get the money I will upgrade to a TURBO, because I know I can achieve higher dyno #'s then those with 10 lbs on a turbo. I still need to get bigger injectors (55#'s) and a second fuel pump to achieve my 600 RWHP mark. Plus I have have another 2000 more rpms to go with the setup. [Big Grin]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I vote blower is better than turbo. Don't ask me why because I don't like debating and listening to 100 people take what I say and twist it in to a big pile of shit. Turbo's are cool though I love the sound when the car gets on it [worship]
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
electric boost is best because it runs off the electrical system [worship]
no heat, no backpressure, no lag, no using power. just look at all the race cars switching to electric waterpumps. best of all, it only costs around $50 for the blower, $130 for an upgraded alternator if you want to run extra boost, and dont forget the volt and amp guages for the pillar [Eek!]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hrly01Stng  Ford pictures for Hrly01Stng    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
id prefer S/C blower for street applications because they seem to be easier to maintain and is a lot cooler.. turbos run really hot for a street car... they do make the power..

--------------------
HCI blower built shortblock 285ci

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Full boost at peak torque is simply incredible! No centrifugal SC that I know of can do that. Roots produce a LOT of heat & are RPM limited by design.

A turbo motor will make more power under the curve then any blower setup Period.

BTW, turbo's run off heat as well as pressure.

Most 96+ cobra's make ~390-430RWHP with Blowers & all the bolt-ons.
Check this out:
http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18046

Most 96 cobras? You guy don't have a F___ing clue about these mod motors in northern cal do you? In southern california if you made that much power with a blower something is wrong period.

Those hp numbers are not impressive for a 99 cobra with a turbo. [BS flag]

[Roll Eyes]

I don't have a clue about these motors? Haha! I build these things for a living. If I didn't know that the fuck I was doing, we wouldn't be in buisness. One of our 4V's has put out is just over 400RWHP on motor (at 283ci w/low compression) & well over 800RWHP with a blower. Hell, we even have our own intake manifold for 96-98 4V's.

Countless 4V's with 10lbs of boost, off-road exhaust, & a street tune (91 octane) make just over 400RWHP. Add race-gas & up the boost & more power will come.

That Turbo 99 Cobra pushes 12lbs of boost & made all that power with just 14 degrees TOTAL timing. That is VERY impressive! So is 500+RWTQ from a 281!

It is you who doesn't know shit about these motors.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
owned

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks you guys are great, but sadly im going to have to postpone supercharging or turbocharging till at least the end of summer $$$$. any way thanks again. does any one know a place where you can buy complete reliable super/turbo kits. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Munch Munch... This popcorn sure is good [Big Grin]

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:

I also hate to break it to you, do you really think I post where I live?

My bud down here with a whimpy novi 1k and
intercooler put down the same numbers as that 99 cobra with a stone stock motor. Edited: and a ported intake. (Yes I know it doesn't have the torque curve of a dump truck like the turbo does)

Oh and Mr. 93 pony. This was stock, as in stock as a rock. No headers, just a ported intake we did ourselves which was later tuned on 91 octane at Power train dynamics. Because I know nothing about mod motors and was owned….. our setup in N/A form put down 327rwhp SAE with all the right parts. (When the blower was added to keep the car smog legal all the good parts were taken off do to the smog nazi)

Yup, guess I don’t know shit about these motors…. Oh well.

Don't get super personal man, if you still think that all 96 and up mod motors make only around 400 rwhp on pump gas.... well that's news to me because I don't see any of those around here.

Also if your shop makes intakes and what not where are the big bore strokers? I'm sure you guys know those whimpy 324 cubic inc mod motors are throwning down over 400 rwhp all motor.

[ May 18, 2004, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: NotchBack 90 ]

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by blind:

I also hate to break it to you, do you really think I post where I live?

My bud down here with a whimpy novi 1k and
intercooler put down the same numbers as that 99 cobra with a stone stock motor. (Yes I know it doesn't have the torque curve of a dump truck like the turbo does)

Oh and Mr. 93 pony. This was stock, as in stock as a rock. No headers, just a ported intake we did ourselves which was later tuned on 91 octane at Power train dynamics. Because I know nothing about mod motors and was owned….. our setup in N/A form put down 327rwhp SAE with all the right parts. (When the blower was added to keep the car smog legal all the good parts were taken off do to the smog nazi)

Yup, guess I don’t know shit about these motors…. Oh well.

Don't get super personal man, if you still think that all 96 and up mod motors make only around 400 rwhp on pump gas.... well that's news to me because I don't see any of those around here.

Also if your shop makes intakes and what not where are the big bore strokers? I'm sure you guys know those whimpy 324 cubic inc mod motors are throwning down over 400 rwhp all motor.

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Hey AaronC pass the popcorn [Big Grin]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93pony

What do you consider all the bolt-ons?

quote:
Originally posted by 93Pony

Countless 4V's with 10lbs of boost, off-road exhaust, & a street tune (91 octane) make just over 400RWHP.

Thats far from all the bolt-ons in my book... And if you're talking about full exhaust being LTs and so forth, those numbers are way low IMHO...

quote:
Hell, we even have our own intake manifold for 96-98 4V's.

We? LOL... Didn't know that you were involved in making the 96-98 HCI mongoose intake... The castings for that intake were made over two years ago (by someone else that left the company), thats why you guys only have a few left on that shelf with no plans on making more... [Wink]

[ May 18, 2004, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Rev Happy ]

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Rev Happy:
quote:
Originally posted by 93pony

What do you consider all the bolt-ons?

quote:
Originally posted by 93Pony

Countless 4V's with 10lbs of boost, off-road exhaust, & a street tune (91 octane) make just over 400RWHP.

Thats far from all the bolt-ons in my book... And if you're talking about full exhaust being LTs and so forth, those numbers are way low IMHO...

quote:
Hell, we even have our own intake manifold for 96-98 4V's.

We? LOL... Didn't know that you were involved in making the 96-98 HCI mongoose intake... The castings for that intake were made over two years ago (by someone else that left the company), thats why you guys only have a few left on that shelf with no plans on making more... [Wink]

Actually the mongoose intake can not be made again unless they start from scratch due to the unfortunate incident that happen down in Australia. And as plans for making another one are still up in the air.....no one said they would definately stop making the intake. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
[QUOTE]

Countless 4V's with 10lbs of boost, off-road exhaust, & a street tune (91 octane) make just over 400RWHP. Add race-gas & up the boost & more power will come.

I gotta admit shaun, 400rwhp is on the low side for a 4v with a centrifugal blower...

[ May 18, 2004, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The person who 'made' the intake is Dave Inall. The same guy who 'made' my Incon turbo kit. I don't know the whole story on who actually designed the intake...I know who cast them, I know who first had the idea/desire, & I know who stole the design. I could care less who designed it. 'We' (HCI Motorsports) sell the intake to 'our' customers. 'We' also sell H-beam rods, forged pistons, & a host of other quality parts... I don't know who designed any of that shit either...nor do I care.

Notchback:
I never said 'all 96-98 4V's make around 400RW with boost & bolt-on's.' I said MOST.
I see countless Racesystem tuned 96-98 cobra's with exhaust, & the other basic bolt-ons making 400-430RWHP. Sure, on occuasion you find one the puts out more....& on occuasion you find one the pust out less. The vast majority put out 400-430 around here.

I could care less what one cobra down in So-Cal put down with a ported intake. Cut the runners & the motor will peak higher in the RPM. Wow. HP = TQ * (RPM/5252) Therefore the higher you can make TQ in the RPM, the more HP you'll get....especailly with a blower as the higher you spin a blower, the more air it'll push. A few years back one of my buddies had a 98 cobra that put out around 430RWHP. He cut the runners on the stock intake & did some porting & the thing lost TQ & gained massive high-rpm HP. Nearly busted 500RW if I remember correctly. That's still only one car....

The point is, that 99Cobra has an off-road exhaust & 12lbs from the turbo kit. 480RWHP may not sound 'that impressive' to some of you, but only fools look at 500RWTQ & say 'that's not impressive'.

How much TQ does a 96+ 4V make with off-road exhaust & 12lbs of boost from an Vorturd? It'd be hard pressed to break 400RW let alone 500!

So, which car will pull harder in the 1/4 or on the street? The one with massive low-end torque? Nah.....turbo's don't make power down low! [BS flag]

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Vorturd?

Hey man c'mon now. [Big Grin]

FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Shuan dont you go thru this argument like every 3-4 months.

I knew you were due soon. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Boost it is all good [Wink] this is a never ending argument on every Mustang board out there. All I know is with my vorturd I picked up 1.5 seconds and 18 mph in the 1/4 mile for drum roll.... only 2000.00 dollars total investment. I also have never run it on drag slics so it might be even more ET. I am impressed buy the driveability and power of my V2-SQ, 11.4 at 124 out of a stock short block with H,C,I(which is on its last breath) daily driven streetcar. I can't stress how drivable this thing is. I do have to say if I ever get the cash to build a all out drag 5.0 it will be sporting a big Turbo.

[ May 19, 2004, 04:56 AM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

2-stangs:
Your car impesses me. Let me know when you hit up Sac next, I'd like to see it run.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

quote:
Originally posted by FordPny:
Shuan dont you go thru this argument like every 3-4 months.

I knew you were due soon. [Big Grin]

I'm glad to see you're adding to the technical debate on this thread... [Roll Eyes]

[Razz]

--------------------

9cobra9
¯
Member # 4470

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra9  Ford pictures for 9cobra9    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when i get my car on the street and go to sac ill hit you up, but it will take a little time. and i need to practice racing otherwise it will be poinless cuz ill probably turn a low 14 high 13? sec car into a 15 sec car. but when i go ill pm you or let you guys know my times. thanks

--------------------
Red 1999 Cobra #1227
cai, bbk headers, offroad h-pipe, short shifter, 3.73's, magnaflow mufflers, LTW flywheel and 04 cobra clutch,
co-owner of PWA

badazz
¯
Member # 1773

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazz  Ford pictures for badazz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok lemme get in this, personally i think turbos are WAYYYYYYYYYY better....reason why?? well lets see...why are there so many restricting rules on turbo guys vs the sc guys?? haha...they want to make it FAIR they say..lol and also i wonder why non of the SC guys have stepped up on this challenge

"Why does the NMRA give the supercharger combinations a 33% Bigger Engine and a 55% Bigger Power Adder in SSO and the Pro classes?

Check out the FACTS at our Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q) Section!

At PTK we think that Procharger or Vortech should grudge race a turbo car of our choice with the a 480 cid or smaller engine, a 106mm turbo & boost controller on NMRA legal tires and suspension heads up for a best of 5 side by side races to see which power adder is superior with a fair power adder/ engine combination, let us know what you think at our Customer Support Forum.

Maybe the supercharger companies would like to match our $5,000.00 grudge funds and let's see who can run what? We will, run you any where, anytime!

UPDATE:
Since the blower supporter(s) are already making excuses about their being a limit on the blower cars engine and power adder ( something us turbo people deal with in every organization ) we have decided to lift the limits and the blower car, the blower car is welcome to run any sized engine, head unit, tires and suspension and the turbo car will do the same!

You blower guys are so use to having an advantage that you can not race straight up anymore, HUH!

$5,000.00 is waiting for you Procharger and Vortech!

UPDATE: As od 04/05/2004 None of the blower Companies has taken us up on our offer!"

more info here
http://66.70.20.245/pages.asp?pid=2

enough said..turbo OWNZ [patriot]

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com