Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » termi shortblock 2v build. (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: termi shortblock 2v build.
vortek01gt
¯
Member # 10149

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vortek01gt  Ford pictures for vortek01gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by LETHL 03:
Why not swap the stock cobra piston? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they were part of the weak link in cobras? Nice build bro and good to see people building fast 2V [patriot]

True they are a weak link along with the gap on the rings are tight from the factory. I just don't have it in the budget for pistons right now. Eventually I will fix the set of c heads I have and throw some good pistons at it, but for now with my power goals the factory cobra pistons should be more then enough. Thanks man!

--------------------
2001 GT s-trim h/c t56 AED tuned
456hp 415ftlb 10psi-street
478hp 427ftlb 12psi-race
11.26@121mph 1.57 60ft-street
10.81@126mph 1.56 60ft-race

Posts: 622 | From: martinez CA | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
vortek01gt
¯
Member # 10149

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vortek01gt  Ford pictures for vortek01gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jmcclesk:
looking GOOD. what dose your car weigh?? [worship]

So before I took out the ac compressor, lines, receiver/drier, and condenser, and switched to skinnies on a 1/4 tank it weighed 3100. So im estimating around 3200 with me in it, maybe a lil more depending on how much gas is in it. I just need to put it back on the scales after im all done.

--------------------
478hp 427ftlb 12psi-race

Vndcatr
CAFords OG
Member # 2343

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vndcatr  Ford pictures for Vndcatr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by vortek01gt:
quote:
Why not swap the stock cobra piston? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought they were part of the weak link in cobras? Nice build bro and good to see people building fast 2V [patriot]

True they are a weak link along with the gap on the rings are tight from the factory. I just don't have it in the budget for pistons right now. Eventually I will fix the set of c heads I have and throw some good pistons at it, but for now with my power goals the factory cobra pistons should be more then enough. Thanks man!
I think at your power levels with the S-trim youll be okay with that block. Build looks good man, i love watching your car launch! ha

--------------------
Built 01 cobra
400 rwhp
11.7@117mph , 1.62 60ft

Posts: 1066 | From: Sacramento,Ca | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
vortek01gt
¯
Member # 10149

quote:
Originally posted by Vndcatr:
quote:
quote:

I think at your power levels with the S-trim youll be okay with that block. Build looks good man, i love watching your car launch! ha
Haha ive watched the launching videos like a million times!

--------------------
478hp 427ftlb 12psi-race

98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98 ROUSH  Ford pictures for 98 ROUSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's coming along great bro. Looking solid. 2v FTW

--------------------
Built 2v
Stroked, Cammed and Blown
Advanced Auto Built & Kurgan Tuned

Posts: 4678 | From: North Hayward, Cali | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
vortek01gt
¯
Member # 10149

So I FINNALY got all the rings sorted out. lets just say there is a learning curve and I needed to get some extras. And I also finished the final assembly of the cylinder heads and got the long block all buttoned up.

I tried making a short time laps video with the GoPro and this is the first time using their editing software. I actually ran out of space on the memory card when filming, that's why the video ends suddenly. hope you guys enjoy and if you have any advice for camera placement like higher or closer or whatever just lmk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmnmhbkOUGs

--------------------
478hp 427ftlb 12psi-race

Frank.JD.Perez
¯
Member # 12650

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frank.JD.Perez  Ford pictures for Frank.JD.Perez  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What type of heads/cams set up are you running? I know I read that you have the stage 2 and patriot heads but I am planning on doing a 2v teksid build for my 97 and im not sure what heads and cam setup will be smog able. I want to push close to 350rwhp but still need the car to pass smog, any tips?

--------------------
1998 Ford Mustang GT SVO SC Saleen vert (sold)
1998 Ford Mustang GT PI (RIP)
1997 Ford Mustang GT
2000 BMW 323iT
2001 BMW X5

Posts: 603 | From: Hayward/Pleasanton | Registered: Dec 2012  |  :
SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Badass vid man,nothing like building your hotrod YOURSELF,ONE of the most satisfying accomplishments to achieve in life in my O2..keep it up [patriot]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
vortek01gt
¯
Member # 10149

quote:
Originally posted by Frank.JD.Perez:
What type of heads/cams set up are you running? I know I read that you have the stage 2 and patriot heads but I am planning on doing a 2v teksid build for my 97 and im not sure what heads and cam setup will be smog able. I want to push close to 350rwhp but still need the car to pass smog, any tips?

Im running crower stage 2 blower cams. I was able to pass the sniffer with these. I think you are going to have a hard time hitting 350rwhp and still be able to pass smog. Alot of people like running cms or mhs cams, those guys a very knowledgeable andwill be able to give you better advice then me.

--------------------
478hp 427ftlb 12psi-race

vortek01gt
¯
Member # 10149

quote:
Originally posted by SIC9250:
Badass vid man,nothing like building your hotrod YOURSELF,ONE of the most satisfying accomplishments to achieve in life in my O2..keep it up [patriot]

Thanks man, its been pretty fun so far. It really the only way i can actually do stuff like this. If i had to pay a shop to do it, i wouldnt be able to afford it.

--------------------
478hp 427ftlb 12psi-race

LSFairmont
¯
Member # 6001

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LSFairmont  Ford pictures for LSFairmont    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's bad ass Tony!

However, I'd take the video down because AED will call your employer and tell them that you are working on your own stuff during company time.

Posts: 3652 | From: the land of the lost | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
vortek01gt
¯
Member # 10149

I assure you its after hours and with the managers consent [Smile]

--------------------
478hp 427ftlb 12psi-race

KARATExxCHUCK
¯
Member # 12851

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KARATExxCHUCK  Ford pictures for KARATExxCHUCK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Yes ill add that to the build list.....she wasnt too happy witj me last time.lol

That is one good problem to have 😆

[patriot]

--------------------
**Sometimes you must kill the snake to walk the path!!
**Message me for Powder Coating and Sand blasting!!!:)

98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98 ROUSH  Ford pictures for 98 ROUSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice to see the build coming along bro. 2v FTMFW

--------------------
Built 2v
Stroked, Cammed and Blown
Advanced Auto Built & Kurgan Tuned

Posts: 4678 | From: North Hayward, Cali | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
stanger00
¯
Member # 13818

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger00  Ford pictures for stanger00    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Going to be another local 600hp 2 valve!

--------------------
2000 Mustang GT Aluminator, TFS, Vortech, AED

vortek01gt
¯
Member # 10149

quote:
Originally posted by stanger00:
Going to be another local 600hp 2 valve!

Phuck i hope so! Im only shooting for mid 500s until i get the si upgrade. Dont have the funds for it now, so ill run the strim for the time being

--------------------
478hp 427ftlb 12psi-race

MR. STALLION
Stallions President
Member # 374

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR. STALLION  Ford pictures for MR. STALLION  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice work....we just completed a build on a 2V as well. Same color as yours actually. It's a 2001.
The owner somehow grenaded the stock motor and seized it. No oil was found in the engine when we tore it down. Checkout the video.

We went with:
MMR 900 shortblock(8:5.1)
Trick Flow 195 Heads
Stage 2 MMR Blower Cams
Kenne Bell 2.8Mammoth(18lbs on 93)
ID 1000's
BBK Longtubes
TCI Built SSF Trans
Moser Spool & Axles

BMS: 600hp 2V

[ 2014-12-08, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: MR. STALLION ]

--------------------
Jason McCallum
89LX: Built, Stroked, & Blown

Posts: 1799 | From: SJ/Campbell, CA USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
vortek01gt
¯
Member # 10149

quote:
Originally posted by MR. STALLION:
Nice work....we just completed a build on a 2V as well. Same color as yours actually. It's a 2001.
The owner somehow grenaded the stock motor and seized it. No oil was found in the engine when we tore it down. Checkout the video.

We went with:
Trick Flow 195 Heads
Stage 2 MMR Blower Cams
ID 1000's
BBK Longtubes
TCI Built SSF Trans
Moser Spool & Axles

Damn that's a pretty cool build. How did you guys like the TF 195 race heads? Always thought it would be cool to get a set of those but thought it would be a lil overkill for my setup....and I couldn't afford them lol.

--------------------
478hp 427ftlb 12psi-race

vortek01gt
¯
Member # 10149

Update: the motor is all done and installed in the car and runs like a champ! I started putting it in on Saturday and came into work early on Monday to finish it up. It would have been done Saturday but I kept hitting snags, the biggest one being finding a serpentine belt. I guess it wasn't really a snag, but an inconvenience because our parts guy said we could get one quickly. Over an hour later our supplier brought the wrong size, then another hour later they said they haven't left yet. I got tired of waiting and just went down the street to car quest and was back in like 15min. The other snag was having to fight the damn qa1 k-member. The fitment just sucks with that thing. Oh well it's all done now. I just need to install the fuel system and set date to get it tuned.

I tried to make another time laps video and everything was going well until I turned off the camera half way through and forgot to turn it back on. Smh, oops. I do have a "first start" video that I need to edit and upload, ill get to that soon. But here are some pics for now.

The badass IW balancer I got from "yellows281" thanks again bro!
 -

-

ready to go in
 -

AAAANNNDD she's in!!!!!!!!
 -

[ 2015-01-06, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: vortek01gt ]

--------------------
478hp 427ftlb 12psi-race

LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Toni your the shit!! Can't wait to see you on the freeway or at the strip in that beast

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Vndcatr
CAFords OG
Member # 2343

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vndcatr  Ford pictures for Vndcatr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking good dude! congrats.. Im a couple weekends out myself..I love the IW balancer also..are you 8rib or 6 ? I have never have any issues with my Qa1, i love that damn thing lol

I miss the simplicity of a 2v [worship]

[ 2015-01-07, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: Vndcatr ]

--------------------
Built 01 cobra
400 rwhp
11.7@117mph , 1.62 60ft

MR. STALLION
Stallions President
Member # 374

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR. STALLION  Ford pictures for MR. STALLION  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

We went with:
Trick Flow 195 Heads
Stage 2 MMR Blower Cams
ID 1000's
BBK Longtubes
TCI Built SSF Trans
Moser Spool & Axles

Damn that's a pretty cool build. How did you guys like the TF 195 race heads? Always thought it would be cool to get a set of those but thought it would be a lil overkill for my setup....and I couldn't afford them lol.
They actually worked well.....and honestly the real reason we went with these is because the 185's were on backorder and we could not get them. When the car was towed into the shop for this build....it had the 185's on it.
A shop that will remain nameless had installed them 6months prior, and the motor seized up on the customer.
In the vid you can see what we found when taking the motor out.
Metal went completely thru the entir motor, damaging the cam journals, so a new set of heads were mandatory.
Tried to get another set of 185's but none were available....the only thing out was the RACE 195's, and only 1 head was built. We had to wait a month to get the second one.
But they worked out GREAT....along with a set of MMR Blower Cams.

Down the line we're going to run E85 with this car and see how it responds....it's already set up for it, as you see the customer spared no dime in this build, the very best of everything.

-

--------------------
Jason McCallum
89LX: Built, Stroked, & Blown

Posts: 1799 | From: SJ/Campbell, CA USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
Vndcatr
CAFords OG
Member # 2343

quote:
quote:
quote:

We went with:
Trick Flow 195 Heads
Stage 2 MMR Blower Cams
ID 1000's
BBK Longtubes
TCI Built SSF Trans
Moser Spool & Axles

They actually worked well.....and honestly the real reason we went with these is because the 185's were on backorder and we could not get them. When the car was towed into the shop for this build....it had the 185's on it.
A shop that will remain nameless had installed them 6months prior, and the motor seized up on the customer.
Metal went completely thru the entir motor, damaging the cam journals, so a new set of heads were mandatory.
Tried to get another set of 185's but none were available....the only thing out was the RACE 195's, and only 1 head was built. We had to wait a month to get the second one.

Down the line we're going to run E85 with this car and see how it responds....it's already set up for it, as you see the customer spared no dime in this build, the very best of everything.

-

Thats Beautiful..
[Eek!] [Cool]

--------------------
Built 01 cobra
400 rwhp
11.7@117mph , 1.62 60ft

vortek01gt
¯
Member # 10149

quote:
Originally posted by Vndcatr:
Looking good dude! congrats.. Im a couple weekends out myself..I love the IW balancer also..are you 8rib or 6 ? I have never have any issues with my Qa1, i love that damn thing lol

I miss the simplicity of a 2v [worship]

Thanks, its exciting being so close to finishing the mach huh.
The balancer is one of my favorite new mods. Its a 8rib balancer but im still 6rib, I plan to go 8rib in the future tho.

I got the kmember used and ive always had issues with it .

--------------------
478hp 427ftlb 12psi-race

vortek01gt
¯
Member # 10149

quote:
quote:
quote:

We went with:
Trick Flow 195 Heads
Stage 2 MMR Blower Cams
ID 1000's
BBK Longtubes
TCI Built SSF Trans
Moser Spool & Axles

-

Dang that sucks. Seems odd tho, i was under the impression that the trickflow cam journals were replaceable.

It made some great power on 93, curious what it will put down on e85. Are you gonna spin the blower any harder on e85?

--------------------
478hp 427ftlb 12psi-race

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com