Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Project 66 Coupe (Page 12)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Project 66 Coupe
66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66_5.0  Ford pictures for 66_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can come today..Ill be home by 12 so whenever..

--------------------
1966 Mustang

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks good! wheels and chrome are going to be a HUGE difference!
Posts: 4597 | From: the V-town | Registered: May 2003  |  :
66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66_5.0  Ford pictures for 66_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by v-town coupe:

Thank you sir! I was thinking of powder coating these rims black but keeping the chrome lip, although I really like how it looks now..

--------------------
1966 Mustang

1RaW03SvT
¯
Member # 9151

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1RaW03SvT  Ford pictures for 1RaW03SvT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66_5.0:
quote:

Thank you sir! I was thinking of powder coating these rims black but keeping the chrome lip, although I really like how it looks now..
Take those wheels off an put them in the TRASH!!!! Buy some18/9 18/10 fr500s and powdercoat them all black!!! Your car needs stance and a nasty ass wheel tire set up!!!!
Trust me chavez66 needs to do the same!!!!!!!!

Just my opinion!!

[patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
2003 SoNiC BlUe CoBrA
BUILT

Posts: 2159 | From: *SVTaDDicT* | Registered: May 2009  |  :
v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for v-town coupe  Ford pictures for v-town coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1RaW??SvT:
quote:
quote:

Take those wheels off an put them in the TRASH!!!! Buy some18/9 18/10 fr500s and powdercoat them all black!!! Your car needs stance and a nasty ass wheel tire set up!!!!

Just my opinion!!

[patriot] [patriot]

true. he knows what needs to be done.

But as me and 66_5.0 had talked before, he is waiting till he does some suspension upgrades before ordering wheels and tires.If you look at the pics while it was in the shop, these wheels on their now are WAAAAAAYYY better then the directional set.

Some blk torques thrust M's would be an inexpensive step in the right direction on a budget. Matter a fact you could probably sell the rims and tires you currently have and buy a set of torque thrust m's and take the money you would spend on painting your set or powder coating and put it towards tires.

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

http://www.americanracing.com/wheels/?siteid=1&groupid=29
66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 1RaW??SvT:
quote:
quote:

Just my opinion!!

[patriot] [patriot]

true. he knows what needs to be done.

But as me and 66_5.0 had talked before, he is waiting till he does some suspension upgrades before ordering wheels and tires.If you look at the pics while it was in the shop, these wheels on their now are WAAAAAAYYY better then the directional set.

Some blk torques thrust M's would be an inexpensive step in the right direction on a budget. Matter a fact you could probably sell the rims and tires you currently have and buy a set of torque thrust m's and take the money you would spend on painting your set or powder coating and put it towards tires.

Corey thanks for your brutal honestly asshole! I like these rims but I do agree on getting a better stance.

V-town coupe- Exactly, Ive looked at the Shelby Ms and love em. I could live with those rims on my car, hmm.

Would I be able to run those rims if I bought reverse eye leaf springs and 620 Grab-A-Trak front springs if I cut them about an inch? Wouldnt want it to look like a donk.

--------------------
1966 Mustang

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'll hit you later today

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
boss 338 wheels would look sick... can usually get a set of 18's with tires for 650-700  -

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

quote:
Originally posted by 68dustin:
boss 338 wheels would look sick... can usually get a set of 18's with tires for 650-700  -

Clean, I hope I hit the lotto soon.. [Razz]

--------------------
1966 Mustang

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 68dustin:

They need to make those in 17". 18"'s look huge on the 64-66 stangs IMO. 66_5.0 can probably fit those no problem, heck he could probably squeeze some 33" mud terrains under those wheel wells right now. lol Paint is done, time to lower that car now bro!!
[Big Grin]

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

Lotto?
seriously if you could drum up a few extra bucks your rims and tires gotta be worth something it just may sit on jack stands for a sec but its winter.

I have a wheel measuring device if you want to measure for wheels. your more then welcome to barrow it.

66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Hey hey be nice now! I know I need to slam it, I was kidding bout the lotto, but that idea is sounding good.

V-town- I appreciate the offer man, Ill PM you and work something out

--------------------
1966 Mustang

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Secnd2nun64  Ford pictures for Secnd2nun64    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just giving you crap! lol a Shelby drop up front would do you some good or cut half of one coil upfront. Are you running long shackles in the rear? I would change them back to stock if you are. 1" lowering blocks would help out too for the rear. Most guys like a 7" wide rim up front and a 8" in back. All depends on how low you want to go. Mustngs plus has a lot of info for rim sizes.
66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

quote:
Originally posted by Secnd2nun64:
Just giving you crap! lol a Shelby drop up front would do you some good or cut half of one coil upfront. Are you running long shackles in the rear? I would change them back to stock if you are. 1" lowering blocks would help out too for the rear. Most guys like a 7" wide rim up front and a 8" in back. All depends on how low you want to go. Mustngs plus has a lot of info for rim sizes.

I have the GT springs up front and also have sitting in my room the so called "1-Inch lowering Grab A Trak 620 springs" for the front as well. They didnt lower the car at all but Im planning on cutting a coil off those and seeing how it looks.

No Im using the stock ones, Ill look at the lowering blocks because it has been metioned to me before.

Believe me, Mustangs Plus knows me haha I go to them for everything basically.

What is your suspension/wheel set up?

[ November 27, 2011, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: 66_5.0 ]

--------------------
1966 Mustang

66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

[ November 27, 2011, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: 66_5.0 ]

--------------------
1966 Mustang

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

I got 15x7 wheels. 24" tall tires up front and 26" in back. Up front I got it dropped by cutting springs and a Shelby drop. It got a little too low so I had to add some coil spacers. My car has a lot rake to the stance, going towards the "hotrod" look. The rear is 4 1/2 mid eye leaf springs with caltracs. The rear has plenty if ground clearance. The front can get sketchy at times. I've had to unload people from the car to get over speedbumps and to get up driveways. The longtube headers were to blame for that though.
66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

quote:
I got 15x7 wheels. 24" tall tires up front and 26" in back. Up front I got it dropped by cutting springs and a Shelby drop. It got a little too low so I had to add some coil spacers. My car has a lot rake to the stance, going towards the "hotrod" look. The rear is 4 1/2 mid eye leaf springs with caltracs. The rear has plenty if ground clearance. The front can get sketchy at times. I've had to unload people from the car to get over speedbumps and to get up driveways. The longtube headers were to blame for that though.

Ok I want to do the 5 mid-eye leaf springs since I have a 235/60/15 tire in the back, I think itll fit the wheel well perfect.

Yea I want to do the Shelby drop but with the way you make it sound, its a bit much.

Ill try the 620 springs with a cut coil and see how it goes, then go from there.

Edit: Would you mind posting pics? Or PM either way
Thanks

[ November 27, 2011, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: 66_5.0 ]

--------------------
1966 Mustang

Secnd2nun64
¯
Member # 1431

I would do the drop or cut 1/2 a coil. Not both. Ill take some measurements on where mine sits. It def low upfront tho. You should get your wheels picked out first if you plan to go bigger.

Your going to rub the rear tires with mideyes. My m/t are roughly the same size. Mine rub if I put anyone in the backseat. You should be able to clear them if you roll the fender lips. I would be scared of jacking up the new paint. 225/60/r15 would clear.

Measured and the top of the front wheel arch is just under 24" and the rear is just over 26". My front valance is 9" off the ground.

[ November 28, 2011, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Secnd2nun64 ]

66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

quote:
I would do the drop or cut 1/2 a coil. Not both. Ill take some measurements on where mine sits. It def low upfront tho. You should get your wheels picked out first if you plan to go bigger.

Your going to rub the rear tires with mideyes. My m/t are roughly the same size. Mine rub if I put anyone in the backseat. You should be able to clear them if you roll the fender lips. I would be scared of jacking up the new paint. 225/60/r15 would clear.

Measured and the top of the front wheel arch is just under 24" and the rear is just over 26". My front valance is 9" off the ground.

Ok yours is definately a lot lower than mine. I appreciate all the help you and everyone else has been giving, I have some options as for what I want to do.

Unfortunately she wont be getting any attention until after Christmas [Frown]

--------------------
1966 Mustang

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

quote:
quote:

Ok yours is definately a lot lower than mine. I appreciate all the help you and everyone else has been giving, I have some options as for what I want to do.

Id cut the front first then figure out which rears to get. almost everyone i know has bought the mid eye springs and are un-happy due to the fact it pretty much raises your car from where its at now. every single one of them has gone ahead and bought the reverse eye at this point. I do want to add that you have the 64-66 body style and most of the people im referring to have a 67-71 stang. i know your wheel opening is smaller on the early cars.

As far as the front springs go, Maier racing told me that the rule of thumb they use is:

figure out how much you want to lower the car in inches

pull the coil spring out and put the flat side on the ground and measure to the highest point. That gives you your overall spring height.

then take half of what you want to lower the car out of the total height of the spring. for example

you want to lower your car 2" and your spring is a total height of 15" so then you have this

2"/.5=1" which means you will be taking 1 inch out of the spring

then you go 15"-1"=14" of total spring height.

so then you would run your tape measure till you reach 14" and that would be your cutting point and after you cut one then lay the existing piece on the other spring and it will give you your cut mark on the other spring.

not trying to make anyone feel stupid but usually if your not here in person to see it its better broken down. Ever since he told me this i've used it and to be honest its not super exact but pretty damn close. Its a lot better then ahh lets just cut a coil and see where its at or the ole famous get out the torch and heat them up.

something else to consider would be a shelby drop before spring cutting.

also about 6 months ago a buddy of mine whos on a budget couldnt really handle the ride of the his super hacked up springs anymore so he went ahead and bought this:

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/vas_bolton-co.html

with the 2" lowering cap and mounted some shorter bump stops and with a little spring adjustment plus the arm drop the stance was pretty damn close back to the way it was and the ride was WAAAAAY better!

[ December 02, 2011, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: v-town coupe ]

66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

quote:
quote:
quote:

Id cut the front first then figure out which rears to get. almost everyone i know has bought the mid eye springs and are un-happy due to the fact it pretty much raises your car from where its at now. every single one of them has gone ahead and bought the reverse eye at this point. I do want to add that you have the 64-66 body style and most of the people im referring to have a 67-71 stang. i know your wheel opening is smaller on the early cars.

As far as the front springs go, Maier racing told me that the rule of thumb they use is:

figure out how much you want to lower the car in inches

pull the coil spring out and put the flat side on the ground and measure to the highest point. That gives you your overall spring height.

then take half of what you want to lower the car out of the total height of the spring. for example

you want to lower your car 2" and your spring is a total height of 15" so then you have this

2"/.5=1" which means you will be taking 1 inch out of the spring

then you go 15"-1"=14" of total spring height.

so then you would run your tape measure till you reach 14" and that would be your cutting point and after you cut one then lay the existing piece on the other spring and it will give you your cut mark on the other spring.

not trying to make anyone feel stupid but usually if your not here in person to see it its better broken down. Ever since he told me this i've used it and to be honest its not super exact but pretty damn close. Its a lot better then ahh lets just cut a coil and see where its at or the ole famous get out the torch and heat them up.

something else to consider would be a shelby drop before spring cutting.

also about 6 months ago a buddy of mine whos on a budget couldnt really handle the ride of the his super hacked up springs anymore so he went ahead and bought this:

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/vas_bolton-co.html

with the 2" lowering cap and mounted some shorter bump stops and with a little spring adjustment plus the arm drop the stance was pretty damn close back to the way it was and the ride was WAAAAAY better!

Thanks for the info man!

I will for sure use the info on cutting/ measuring the springs. My plan actually was to just cut and go haha.

Im not too concerned about the ride quality now since its not a DD and it rides crappy anyway.

I actually got to see a 66 on 17" Bullets this past weekend and I really like it! I would definately have to get the right offset though.

That kit for the coilovers isnt too bad actually, its pretty cheap considering all the other kits I have seen. Seems like its worth it.

--------------------
1966 Mustang

66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Well, I havent done much to the car since I've gotten her back, but this weekend I will be lowering the car because it needs is BAD!

I decided to stick with my Classic 100 rims since they are almost new. Im just going to cut my front coils since I have an extra set and for the rear I will be using the lowering blocks, going with the 2" drop.

This month I hope to have a few things done since Knotts is coming around the corner, I need to be ready.

--------------------
1966 Mustang

66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

It is finally lowered! Although I need to lower the front a bit more but for now here it is as it sits. Way better than before!

-

-

--------------------
1966 Mustang

v-town coupe
fordologist
Member # 2771

nice.

Page: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com