Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Road Racing, Auto X & Drifting   » 99+ Cobra...Keep the IRS? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: 99+ Cobra...Keep the IRS?
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was just wondering if any of the hard core race Cobra's with independent rear suspension actually have good luck with it...

I know of a black Cobra in NASA A.I. that switched to a solid rear...

Which would be better, a modified IRS, or a modifed solid rear using a torque arm and panhard bar, like Griggs or MM?....

Thanx, Rob

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Mach0ne351
¯
Member # 927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach0ne351  Ford pictures for Mach0ne351  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
IRS ownz!

-marek

--------------------
2001 SVT Cobra
SCT Tuned by APEX Motorsports @ 317rwhp/304rwtq
www.32valve.com

Posts: 1182 | From: Marina, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
SVT-DROP
CAFords OG
Member # 1736

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SVT-DROP  Ford pictures for SVT-DROP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well it all depends on what you wanna do with the car. If you take it to drag strip alot then solid is the way to go. If you auto-x then the IRS is the best, but one thing for sure on the street irs got the best ride really smooth over the bumps and stuff.
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 99snakerider:
Well it all depends on what you wanna do with the car. If you take it to drag strip alot then solid is the way to go. If you auto-x then the IRS is the best, but one thing for sure on the street irs got the best ride really smooth over the bumps and stuff.

Obviously I'm not talking about the drag strip [Roll Eyes] Yeah, and I'm sure the IRS's ride quality is better...

I want to know for example If you had bought a 99+ IRS Cobra and wanted to compete with other Mustangs in A.I. or any SCCA or NASA events would you keep the IRS or switch to a solid rear axle???????......

From what I've read you can make a solid rear axle superior to "Fords after thought" IRS....I'm interested to know info from the people who've delt with the IRS and tried to make it work or have made it work.... [patriot]

--------------------

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its hard to say which is better. I have raced the cobra, and it feels like it wants to get rearend loose but it sticks constantly. Its a tough choice. If you have it and use it alot, you would get used to its feel. But I race with solid constanly, and I am used to the stiffness.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My preference is a solid axle with torque arm and Panhard bar. That setup is a lot more predictable and confidence-inspiring than the Mustang's IRS, in my experience.

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ November 06, 2006, 02:34 AM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maximum motorsports is in development stages of aftermarket control arms for IRS cobras, that should mix things up a little

i saw them fabing some up the other day in there shop [worship] [worship]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's probably cheaper to swap a stick axle with a torque-arm, but I'm not completely sold on the idea that the Cobra IRS cannot be made to work.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Has anyone seen or felt how heavy the Cobra IRS is to the solid axle?...I couldn't believe how heavy the IRS was when I saw WIKD281's 99 Cobra...Harold/WIKD281 did the switch for drag racing purposes, since the stock 99 IRS had horrible wheel hop/axle wind up...

Jon/1SIC~Is your dad's 03 Cobra IRS stock or did he replace the housing bushings?...

--------------------

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It has Kenny Brown CSR IRS aluminum Diff Bushings , IRS Rear Steer Kit (49550)
, IRS Forward Torque Brace, Extreme Matrix Subframe System, Rear Shock Tower Brace, and a few other goodies.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an 87 GT with A griggs touque arm, panhard rod + all the other gr40 bits and a 01 Cobra Vert with the factory IRS. On the street, the IRS rids so much better than the stick axel and with a set of road race tires, it feels better than griggs at race track speeds. If you have a Stock Cobra with IRS, I think it would be foolish to dump it for a touque arm and stick axel set up in my honest opinion.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

WOW, thats interesting...You have the best of both worlds....So, are you saying that an '87 GR40 Mustang has worse handling than a stock 01 convertable IRS Cobra?!!!!!!! [Confused] ....

--------------------

TheDavemeister
¯
Member # 2521

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheDavemeister  Ford pictures for TheDavemeister  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobraracer46:
I have an 87 GT with A griggs touque arm, panhard rod + all the other gr40 bits and a 01 Cobra Vert with the factory IRS. On the street, the IRS rids so much better than the stick axel and with a set of road race tires, it feels better than griggs at race track speeds. If you have a Stock Cobra with IRS, I think it would be foolish to dump it for a touque arm and stick axel set up in my honest opinion.

What about springs and shocks? You can change out the springs and shocks in your Griggs equipped car for better ride quality if that's what you want. How a car "feels" and how it performs are two different things.

--------------------
SOLD:White 88 LX hatchback
Now I drive a '92 S10 and am hating life

Posts: 28 | From: Santa Rosa/Rohnert Park, Ca | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well thats somewhat of a tough one. I've driven both, a fully prepped griggs solid axle and a fully prepped IRS car meaning griggs K-member, front arms, rear delrin bushings beefier axle brace and coil overs all the way around. The IRS car wins hands down in ride quality but I don't think thats what you are asking. There's two different kinds of Griggs solid axle cars, one that has been set up properly and is well balanced and one that is not. Theres a huge difference in the two. I personally like the solid axle much better for all out handling than the IRS. The car is much more predictable in the turns and there isn't the wheel hop. Now this could be because I've have a lot more experience driving the solid rear than I do the IRS but to me the overall feel of the car is so much better with the solid rear combo.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasnake9  Ford pictures for 9cobrasnake9  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i owned a 99 cobra and theres inherint problems with the irs. it was designed to fit in a space irs really would not work properly. Anyone who has taken a 99+ cobra hard through an off camber turn has felt why. The car ends up rolling over its suspension. The tire goes up but does not camber in enough to compensate and you end up with a nasty feeling of your car riding on the sidewall. This is because the control arms are too short for the setup. Ask Griggs, or mm they with both tell you on the track IRS from a 99+ cobra will be punished by a solid axle. I looked into this a lot for my car. just my .02

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
WOW, thats interesting...You have the best of both worlds....So, are you saying that an '87 GR40 Mustang has worse handling than a stock 01 convertable IRS Cobra?!!!!!!! [Confused] ....

Not really. I have not run both cars back to back on the track to know for sure, but on the street, it's a no brainer, the IRS is the way to go.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A stick axle car is also easier to regain control of when you get loose.

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

quote:
Originally posted by racercosmo:
A stick axle car is also easier to regain control of when you get loose.

Uh, are you sure on that one?...Why do you think that Cosmo?....

--------------------

BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey i read somewhere that i could put an cobra's IRS in my car. Do you think it is wise to do so?

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Posts: 9809 | From: Home of LARD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

With an IRS, the wheels are free to move about as they wish. Obviously the stick axle keeps both wheels at the same constant angle, so they are not fighting eachother. When you get into a tank-slapper, you don't have to settle each side of the car before you add throttle to control the rear end.
I love the Z06, but I've gotten into some scary shit that would have been solved by simply squeezing on the pedal with a torque-arm and stick axle Mustang.
That being said, I wouldn't give up the Corvette on that issue alone.

kpl
¯
Member # 1879

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kpl  Ford pictures for kpl  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I remember reading about Rob's (V8VENOM) experience with his AI car switching from the IRS to the Griggs WC setup on corner-carvers and recall the following. You can go and search there to find the threads. Now the IRS was mostly stock except springs, dampers, delrin bushings on the lower control arms, and FR500 brace. After switching he compared his Thunderhill times and was only a hair quicker. He admitted he needed some more seat time to adjust his driving style, and some time to fine tune the car. It seemed to me like a lot of money for a very little gain. Unfortunately he dropped out of the AI series and we never got to see how much his times improved after adjusting to the new suspension and setting up the car better, if that was possible. Since then there are a few more things available for the IRS so it would be interesting to see another comparison.

--------------------
Kevin

Posts: 83 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Steve Libby also switched to a stick axle TA/watts Linkage on his 99 Cobra. He liked it a lot better, and he was a bunch faster. The disclamier is that he switched from an aftermarket IRS configuration, the much maligned IPS/Contex POS designed by Corey "Reactive Kinematics" Shaw.

--------------------

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Last week, I heard that Maximum Motorsports is in the prosses of making tubular Cobra IRS control arms. It would certinly be interesting to see an MM IRS Cobra duke it out with Griggs torque arm equiped Cobra.

--------------------

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
maximum motorsports is in development stages of aftermarket control arms for IRS cobras, that should mix things up a little

i saw them fabing some up the other day in there shop [worship] [worship]

reffering to cobraracers post 1 above this
yes i posted that almost 2 weeks ago about 10 post previous of urs in the same thread [Big Grin]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com