Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 3g upgrade (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 3g upgrade
*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Als50*  Ford pictures for *Als50*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pm sent. Remember the "kiss" principle, Tom. [patriot]

--------------------
'00XlRangerSlammed-'91Gt347Turbo-'93CalypsoSCFaleen
FOXLIVESMATTER

----------------
*BlackGunsMatter*

Posts: 1897 | From: La Bahia... | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.corral.net/index.php/tech/electronics/67-fox-3-130-amp-3g-alternator-upgrade

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
http://www.corral.net/index.php/tech/electronics/67-fox-3-130-amp-3g-alternator-upgrade

[patriot] but no where in there does it say about a 4ga wire and fuse

[ 2014-04-26, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: SacGrown89GT ]

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"No but its faster than your shoes"
"...."

Posts: 699 | From: SacGROWNmento | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Als50*  Ford pictures for *Als50*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lee's seen my setup in my bucket. 1/0 gauge wire with a 200ap fuse.

--------------------
FOXLIVESMATTER

----------------
*BlackGunsMatter*

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SacGrown89GT:
quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:

[patriot] but no where in there does it say about a 4ga wire and fuse
I posted it to show you the voltage readings, yours seemed kinda of low

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacGrown89GT  Ford pictures for SacGrown89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah like i said only when i rev up jus a tiny but the volts shoot up

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Ok something is def wrong. So i just checked it and at idle with no a/c or lights its at high 12s. With ac and lights high 11s. I think that alt is no good. Ima go tommorow and swap it out  -  -

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That alternator is NG. Or it is turning to slow. Pulley ratio please!!! By the way 200A breaker or fuse and a 1/0 cable. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Talk about a waste of money. Read the article the guy used a number 10 AWG in the article

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Yeah ima exchange it tomorrow before something messes up

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

quote:
Originally posted by Tom Renzo:
That alternator is NG. Or it is turning to slow. Pulley ratio please!!! By the way 200A breaker or fuse and a 1/0 cable. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Talk about a waste of money. Read the article the guy used a number 10 AWG in the article

Yeah but that was written back in 1996, I always use 4 gauge

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Tom......with all due respect....STFU....thanks.... [patriot]

--------------------
FOXLIVESMATTER

----------------
*BlackGunsMatter*

*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Dp.

[ 2014-04-26, 10:07 PM: Message edited by: *Als50* ]

--------------------
FOXLIVESMATTER

----------------
*BlackGunsMatter*

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tom Renzo  Ford pictures for Tom Renzo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is STFU???? Does that make an alternator work properly. I have been in this business for many years and even a trunk mounted battery does not require a 1/0 cable. And i crank over 1600 WHEEL HP ENGINES. Why in the world would an alternator need a 1/0 cable. If that is what floats your boat that is great. But an entire waste of time as the ALT lug at even 5/16 diameter can never handle the current a 1/0 cable can carry. Basically you are limited to the size of the battery lug on the ALT. So does this alternator have a GIGANTIC BOLT TO CARRY THAT CURRENT??? Please advise.

[ 2014-04-26, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------
I spend money i don't have. Building cars i don't need. To impress people i don't know.

SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

I have a belly button [Big Grin]

I came to a conclusion that the alt it a POS and im returning it tomorrow. Ill keep you guys posted tomorrow on outcome. Im also going to put the circuit breaker closer to battery instead of alternator. Thanks cafords i appreciate any help and you guys have been plenty [worship]

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

I think you have a bum alt. I checked my mustang today and it has a 130 and it idles at 14.6 volts as it should.

--------------------

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

@*Als50* here is a detroit with a 250Amp alt. Look at the size of this alternator. It is a true full output unit capable of a full 250 Amps. Note the factory battery cable. It is a number 4 AWG. Now tell me you have a 200Amp alternator that fits the stock mount on any car you own or have built that needs a 1/0 cable. I for one call that a stretch at best. So how big are your battery cables 4/0 fascinating!! This alternator has 7/16 uss lugs for the ground and battery feed and it is fed with a number 4 AWG as stated above and verified by my trusty craftsmen open end wrench. Thank YOU

-

[ 2014-04-26, 08:28 PM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

*Als50*
¯
Member # 6003

Its time to step away from the computer, Tom.....

--------------------
FOXLIVESMATTER

----------------
*BlackGunsMatter*

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Why is it that you do not like good info!! Or are you so versed in the automotive trades you do not like to hear factual info!!! Just checking. By the way i double checked the battery lug size on a 3G and it can handle exactly 100 Amps continuously. So that would necessitate a number 8 AWG. But being an alternator in a car only puts out app 40-45% of its power it would safely be wired with a number 10 AWG. So be it as it may your number 1/0 cable is mighty impressive to people that do not understand whats going on or just a talking point at the car hang out. Thanks

[ 2014-04-27, 05:26 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tom Renzo easy search pops up all the other ford site you have been to and one by one everyone found out your just a hack, talk alot of bullshit and have no verified experience at all. GTFOH.

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

Update:
Got another alternator today. Volts still read low. Im taking battery in tomorrow to get checked. Anyone have a clue of what it can be besides alternator or battery? Basically my volts never hit 14. And since day one volts drop from 11-high 13s. Its fkn frustrating

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

triple b
¯
Member # 8763

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for triple b  Ford pictures for triple b    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bad cell in the battery. and when they check it with the cheezy volt meter ove rthe counter and say it good have them put it on the charger to "full charge" it and it may not take a full charge because it has a bad cell. just my 2 cents not that it not happened before...

--------------------
1988 4cyl conv 306 HCI "sasha"
2004 tahoe
Sold- 87 GT, 72 chevelle, 63 biscane, 82 monte carlo, 73 nova, 88 silverado,

Posts: 1730 | From: sacramento ca | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
SacGrown89GT
¯
Member # 7435

quote:
Originally posted by triple b:
bad cell in the battery. and when they check it with the cheezy volt meter ove rthe counter and say it good have them put it on the charger to "full charge" it and it may not take a full charge because it has a bad cell. just my 2 cents not that it not happened before...

Yeah its what im thinking now. Good thing i have warranty on it. Gonna jus get a new one. F all the bs! Thanks

--------------------
"Your shit aint hot!"
"...."

diablounicorn
¯
Member # 13033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for diablounicorn  Ford pictures for diablounicorn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you change the pulley? i put my stock pulley on the 3g, i read that the stock 3g pulley spin slower.
Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

@ Triple B If you think i BS that is your prerogative. But as far as my ability building cars and owning a shop that has been in my family since 1900. I have a photo for you. my reputation is everything and in this business people do not like to hear when they do something wrong or someone corrects them. That is what these sites are all about. It is personal experience and what works in this business. If you like i will bow out of this site if in fact you can post a photo of your accomplishments. Bellow is some of my accomplishments. First place in many many car shows across the country with my cars that i build. So here is some now post yours or tell your story walking. Now can you identify the car bellow. I could care less what you say about me i was trying to help this guy out. Sorry for taking my time to help this person as usual there is someone like you that gets pissed off when someone actually knows something about a subject. I think in 51 years i have earned the ability to pass on my knowledge. If in fact this site and other car sites do not like my answers PROVE ME WRONG . If so i will man up and move on just so your pride is not hurt. Now i have to go to work as i have been doing in my shop for 51 years. And William Chase from SEAL POWER seems to like my engine building techniques as they used my Connecting rod modification to repair and recall thousands of 2.3 fords which i specialize in, Now i am not mad at you but you should give people a chance before bad mouthing them. Please explain what is with you and the attitude!!

-
 -

-

[ 2014-04-28, 03:17 AM: Message edited by: Tom Renzo ]

--------------------

Tom Renzo
¯
Member # 13165

Here is the print for the 3G did you wire it correctly and does the dash alt or battery light up when you key the car?? If in fact the light on the dash does not come on it wont charge. Good luck!!

http://www.bcbroncos.com/3ginstall.pdf

--------------------

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com