Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » GLOWING HEADERS !!! any ideas??? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: GLOWING HEADERS !!! any ideas???
coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
02 sensors plugged in? wiring to 02 sensors ok? do like everyone else is saying put the o/r midpipe back on and see if it continues

--------------------
R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt)
96 4.6- H/C/I 5.3 LS swap
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

95 GT
¯
Member # 9673

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95 GT  Ford pictures for 95 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so the first h pipe i put on had one bad cat and this h pipe has two...??? wierd...i guess the only thing to do is put back on the x pipe and see if it goes away...

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT
Stock!!! H E L P !!!

Flatline
¯
Member # 12081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flatline  Ford pictures for Flatline    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
An exhaust leak will not cause the headers to get hot like that.

One of two things is happening. Your running super lean. This will sky rocket your exhaust gas temperatures.

Or you have plugged cats. Have you done anything else to the car recently?

95 GT
¯
Member # 9673

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 95 GT  Ford pictures for 95 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the only things ive done was put this h pipe on and put the stock intake back in. just getting it smog ready, and ive never checked to see if the headers are getting this hot before, i just noticed it after changing the one i had on

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT
Stock!!! H E L P !!!

Flatline
¯
Member # 12081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flatline  Ford pictures for Flatline    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When you say intake, do you mean intake manifold or cold air intake? Potentially a vacuum leak on the intake side causing too much unmetered air in, causing a lean condition
95 GT
¯
Member # 9673

i got to get this car smogged by wednesday...my temp sticker expires on the 19th. it sucks i got stuck with this smog issue. i guess next time ill make sure the seller smogs it for me before i buy it and not just TRUST them...my fault...if anyone knows how i can smog this car let me know...916 591 2501 dsciume@hotamail.com

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT
Stock!!! H E L P !!!

95 GT
¯
Member # 9673

cold air intake...

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT
Stock!!! H E L P !!!

Flatline
¯
Member # 12081

Check to make sure your maf sensor is plugged in and clean. Male sure all hose clamps are tight and everything seats as it should.

Check your o2 sensors and make sure they are plugged in.
Check vaccum hoses for any cracks or leaks

In the end, still sounds like clogged cats

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you changed intake make sure your vacume lines are ran correctly and o2 sensors not plugged in will not make it run lean it would make it run rich if vacume lines are ran correctly then cats are clogged or fuel pump is going out

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Flatline
¯
Member # 12081

Good call, your right about the o2 sensor. Bad info on my part

Are you throwing a check engine light?

95 GT
¯
Member # 9673

O2 sensors are good and tight and fuel pump is good. What is the hose that plugs into the middle of the h pipe . I think it goes up to egr or something

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT
Stock!!! H E L P !!!

95 GT
¯
Member # 9673

I'll clean the maf and see if that helps . U just don't see two h pipes being bad. And one of them was jusy used to smog supposally

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT
Stock!!! H E L P !!!

95 GT
¯
Member # 9673

ANYONE HAVE A GOOD H PIPE I CAN BORROW TO SMOG?? PLEASE

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT
Stock!!! H E L P !!!

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ILLMNRD86:
I had deja vu about the thread where the guy said he used water to flush his engine oil out.. lmao [Eek!] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Lmbao, so did i

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
iron50
¯
Member # 11231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iron50  Ford pictures for iron50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your motor is running lean period. maybe a intake leak, maybe new bad o2,s, revving it will not help. if u cant find anything unplug the commuter and reset it and see what happens, if u think the exaust is plugged , take out th eo2s and run them out them and see whats happens then.

--------------------
You mama

Posts: 2025 | From: san pablo cal | Registered: Aug 2011  |  :
95 GT
¯
Member # 9673

ive changed the o2 sensors and their good. Ill recheck the intake and see if theirs anything wrong. ive reset the computer, but ill do it again. but if i take out the o2 sensors then that should let the exhaust out more and keep the headers from getting overheated??? cus theres lots of exhaust coming out of the tailpipes....

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT
Stock!!! H E L P !!!

95 GT
¯
Member # 9673

i just find it really wierd that i finally find two different stock h pipes and just my luck, BOTH are clogged??? but obviously the headers glowing like the pics is not normal...right??

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT
Stock!!! H E L P !!!

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Glowing headers are definitely not normal. Do you have a fuel pressure regulator and what is your timing set at? If its not the h-pipe with clogged cats then like I said it is either running lean or your timing is off or both.
87coupe510
¯
Member # 6150

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87coupe510  Ford pictures for 87coupe510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you tried putting the off-road x-pipe back on and seeing how it runs? I see its been suggested a few time but i dont think its been done?

--------------------
RAIN OR SHINE I STAY SIDEWAYS IN MY STANG!!!!!!!!!!!
1993 Coupe "Stock" "It's Just Exhaust"

95 GT
¯
Member # 9673

i put on a different h pipe. the car was running great with the x pipe on. i took it off to get the car smogged. but i cant find a h pipe that isnt clogged. i didnt mess with the timing or the fuel pressure regulator, the only two things i did was change the cold air intake back to the stock setup and change out the o/r x pipe for two different stock h pipes. the first one made one side glow and i put the other one on and it made both sides glow, so im sure if i put the x pipe back on everything will b fine, cus it was running great with no issues before i took off the x pipe, so i will put back on the x pipe to confirm, i just havent done it yet cus its so hard for me. i have no lift...i have to jack it up and get under it. man i just wanna get this darn car smogged. so PLEASE ANYONE WITH A STOCK H PIPE THAT THEY KNOW IS GOOD, CAN I PLEASE BORROW IT TO SMOG AND ILL GIVE IT BACK. IM WILLING TO PAY

[ December 17, 2012, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: 95 GT ]

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT
Stock!!! H E L P !!!

95 GT
¯
Member # 9673

and it does idle high when its warming up...like 1600 then it drops down after a while. but the headers get red before the idle drops

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT
Stock!!! H E L P !!!

BLoWN FR500
¯
Member # 8766

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLoWN FR500  Ford pictures for BLoWN FR500    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ILLMNRD86:
I had deja vu about the thread where the guy said he used water to flush his engine oil out.. lmao [Eek!] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

AHAHAHA THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING BOUT TOO WHEN I SEEN HIM SAY IMMA REV IT UP

--------------------
92 Fobra Supercharged - Stolen
89 Turbod Fobra - Sold
90 Lx - Sold
86 Lx - Sold
96 Cobra

I Stay Charged Like The Energizer Bunny

Posts: 1226 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
BLoWN FR500
¯
Member # 8766

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLoWN FR500  Ford pictures for BLoWN FR500    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 95 GT:
O2 sensors are good and tight and fuel pump is good. What is the hose that plugs into the middle of the h pipe . I think it goes up to egr or something

I BELIEVE ITS FOR THE SMOG PUMP

--------------------
92 Fobra Supercharged - Stolen
89 Turbod Fobra - Sold
90 Lx - Sold
86 Lx - Sold
96 Cobra

I Stay Charged Like The Energizer Bunny

Posts: 1226 | From: San Leandro | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
95 GT
¯
Member # 9673

thanks blown. looks like both of the h pipes i found are bad. im just going to put back on my x pipe and just find someone to smog it that way. im done with being stock...way to many issues

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT
Stock!!! H E L P !!!

MauriSSio
¯
Member # 9943

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MauriSSio  Ford pictures for MauriSSio    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just because you didn't mess worth the toning doesn't automatically mean that someone else didn't. check the timing. check your fuel pressure. I've also seen headers glow when the engine is running too RICH.

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com