Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » tryin to put together a good blower combo (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: tryin to put together a good blower combo
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 95 cobra with a s-trim with 12lbs. i have a custom luanati blower cam .512/.512, 224/236 duration @50 114 lobe sepo. now what heads and intake should i run? and what kinda of power should i be looking at?

--------------------
95 cobra blown 331 gr40 suspension
***NEED QUALITY WORK FOR HALF THE PRICE? I DO SIDE JOBS! PM FOR DETAILS***
www.norcalmotorcompany.com

Posts: 1434 | From: roseville | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :
2SIK GT
¯
Member # 3381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2SIK GT  Ford pictures for 2SIK GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
heads im thinking AFR or trickflow twisted wedge im not sure but maybe around the 400 area .......give or take but i could be wrong and intake gt40 tubular or track heat

[ February 06, 2009, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: 2SIK GT ]

--------------------
all u see is tail lights if u where driving a chevy

Posts: 979 | From: San Jose Ca | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads and the Street Heat intake. Should be a pretty good mached combo. I would say 375-400rwhp.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Confused] did i forget to mention it has a blower lol? 375?????? my car is puting down more than that as it sits!

[ February 06, 2009, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: blown95svt ]

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blown95svt:
[Confused] did i forget to mention it has a blower lol? 375?????? my car is puting down more than that as it sits!

have you dyno'd it?

I'd be really surprised if a stock gt40 heads/intake/95 cobra cam made much more than 350rwhp with 12#'s

I'm aiming for 400-450rwhp with trickflow heads/cam, edelbrock performer rpm intake, and 12#'s through a front mount intercooler with a blow-thru MAF and 42lb injectors with my `89.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

my bad [Big Grin] I did not see 12lbs of boost. Yeah, you should be around 450rwhp or so.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:

have you dyno'd it?

I'd be really surprised if a stock gt40 heads/intake/95 cobra cam made much more than 350rwhp with 12#'s

I'm aiming for 400-450rwhp with trickflow heads/cam, edelbrock performer rpm intake, and 12#'s through a front mount intercooler with a blow-thru MAF and 42lb injectors with my `89.

381/390 is what it put down, i was hoping to get into the 480 range, on corral they is 2 people who have broke 400s on stock motors

[ February 07, 2009, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: blown95svt ]

--------------------

svfreerider87
¯
Member # 5748

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svfreerider87  Ford pictures for svfreerider87  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if I were to do it again I'd go with edelbrock upper and lower, and some performer heads, along with a water meth kit. top it off with a can tune from Kurgan or a good ole AED tune.

--------------------
Dreamspeed Motorsports

Posts: 1685 | From: Sunnyvale | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Edelbrock RPM heads, ported Performer Intake, TFS stage 1 cam, 42s, and NO tune with 12 psi on a stock block (93 Cobra) turned 417rwhp.

The hindering factor in your combo is the computer. It flat out sucks (if it's still the 94/95).

AFR 185s, fly-cut pistons to clear the 2.02s, Holley Systemax II intake, and a TFS stage 2 cam with a tune should get it around 430-440.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
1sick65
¯
Member # 3957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1sick65  Ford pictures for 1sick65    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the car has a fox computer swap
Posts: 1457 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Edelbrock RPM heads, ported Performer Intake, TFS stage 1 cam, 42s, and NO tune with 12 psi on a stock block (93 Cobra) turned 417rwhp.

The hindering factor in your combo is the computer. It flat out sucks (if it's still the 94/95).

AFR 185s, fly-cut pistons to clear the 2.02s, Holley Systemax II intake, and a TFS stage 2 cam with a tune should get it around 430-440.

The 94/95 computers always get a bad rep [Frown] It is a far better processor/computer compared to the fox A9 family. It is like comparing a 386 to a pentium3 or 4. With a tune, or perhaps a tuner piggybacked onto the processor all bets are off as you can make the stock j4j1/cbaza computer adapt to mods as any other processor would with a tune. The only advantage to the A9 is that you can get the car to run off the bat with mods (cam/heads/whatever) to an acceptable level(just not optimized as you will be leaving a lot of hp/tq on the table). Then again with any serious mods why would you go without a tune anyway [Confused] . I'd say the limiting factor is the wallet [Smile]

[ February 07, 2009, 05:03 AM: Message edited by: CobramanPhil ]

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1sick65:
the car has a fox computer swap

Gotcha. Well, you may want to get it tuned then. There's possibly more in the combo.

As for the 94/95 processor vs the Fox...if they are a superior computer, why is the FoxSwap so popular? [Wink] I agree, no sense in dumping $$ into a combo without going all the way and tuning it correctly.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

well it will be tuned the next weekend after the swap, as far as the cam go's what do you think about the specs johnb? and should i install this cam strait up? and i was really hoping to get close to the 500 relm, is there any hope? and i will be building a shortblock shortly after this also.

--------------------

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

quote:
well it will be tuned the next weekend after the swap, as far as the cam go's what do you think about the specs johnb? and should i install this cam strait up? and i was really hoping to get close to the 500 relm, is there any hope? and i will be building a shortblock shortly after this also.

There is a very slim chance of hitting 500 with the cam. It's a F-cam with a touch more duration. If it was in a turbo car or you were using meth-injection or nitrous, I'd say yes. If you are thinking of just swapping the cam, I'd wait until you build a shortblock and add a set of AFRs or ProComps and save your gaskets... [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

no the car is stock right now with the exception of longtubes and a fox computer. im gonna be doing the h/c/i next weekend, i bought that cam from a guy that made 505 at the wheels.

--------------------

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

it's possible but if I were you, I'd back down the boost slightly, or you're putting that motor on borrowed time....

with a set of AFR 185's and the cam that you have; I'd go with a Systemax intake...

on 12 lbs; methanol; and a proper tune; you'll be hovering the 475+RW area.....

just remember you're going to need to upgrade more than just a fuel pump in that case...fuel rails SHOULD be a must for you....

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

quote:
Originally posted by jordan_0806:
quote:

it's possible but if I were you, I'd back down the boost slightly, or you're putting that motor on borrowed time....

with a set of AFR 185's and the cam that you have; I'd go with a Systemax intake...

just remember you're going to need to upgrade more than just a fuel pump in that case...fuel rails SHOULD be a must for you....

with the 185s i will most likely have to notch the pistons??

--------------------

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jordan_0806:
quote:

with the 185s i will most likely have to notch the pistons??
yep...but TW heads would be good too....you won't be losing much, if any, on stock motor...

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its about 300 right now. dont kid yourself.

H/C/I....your lookin at about 387rw....max!

that cam is horrible for your street car btw....

matt! whats the specs on your smogable 140mph trapping cam??

[ February 07, 2009, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: RED@7kVERT *8850GT* ]

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
Originally posted by RED@7kVERT *8850GT*:
its about 300 right now. dont kid yourself.

H/C/I....your lookin at about 387rw....max!

that cam is horrible for your street car btw....

matt! whats the specs on your smogable 140mph trapping cam??

12#'s on Gt-40's should be around the 350RW; I was giving him the benefit of the doubt with the 380+RW.....

with just methanol and heads; he'd be over 400RW easily....it's been done time and time again...the right cam and intake make up a good difference as well....

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
@7K -just curious but why you think that cam isn't a good choice for a street car.

I'd run Trickflows and an edelbrock intake. My Saleen put down 450 to the wheels without the meth on a 130k tired oll motor with an s-trim.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

thats why im trying to get the right proven combo the first time. if i need to i will order a custom cam

--------------------

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
thats why im trying to get the right proven combo the first time. if i need to i will order a custom cam

I would spend the extra dough and get a custom cam...

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

quote:
Originally posted by 166 Merlot:
@7K -just curious but why you think that cam isn't a good choice for a street car.

I'd run Trickflows and an edelbrock intake. My Saleen put down 450 to the wheels without the meth on a 130k tired oll motor with an s-trim.

hes being a smartass! lol thats what i like to hear, what intake and cam were you running and were the heads out of the box? and how much boost? was it tuned? thanks!

--------------------

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
smart ass yes indeed.

matt im sure is on a similar cam as it is a custom SMOGABLE blower cam and traps 139's with a not too far off combo...id say the cam hes got is perfect for what the car is the only problem i see with it is the LSA, its 114...i think optimum would be more like 115-116. shit. people on theturboforum make 1000+ hp on F cams....give me a break.

the car is going to be nasty. bottom line.

thread/

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com