Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 42's and tuning question (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: 42's and tuning question
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by twstd5o:
I think it's 499 unless it just went up this week...

JESUS...FOR WHAT??? [Eek!] [Confused]

There better be a 'happy ending" in there for that price....jesus. either they charge $250 an hour, or takes HOURS on end to tune the car.

Anyone have some insight on this? [Confused]

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well in Tony's case this is my opinion on things Jack. You have the basic cost for the chip. Following that I know Ray spent at least 6 hours on his car doing the tuning. I know what you are use to at apex is a wham bam dyno mam. I contribute this to the fact that byron has simply seen so many cars with so many different combo's that he is able to pull a file up make small tweaks and your done. As far as why Ray spent so much time on Tony's car I can only guess. It could be that this particular car was difficult to dial in. This certainly could be the case since Tony's injectors had to be maxed out to deliver enough fuel. The other consideration here might be that Ray doesn't have the computer full of prior tunes for similar combo's like Byron does and each car becomes a brand new program starting from scratch. In any case it appears as though Ray is willing to put the time into making things right. Whether or not the cost is acceptable is a personal thing. Things are not run there like they can be at Apex where this car has X amount of time before it has to be off the dyno for the next one in line. It will be interesting to see what comes out of dyno labs in the near future because with the more cars Ray gets his hands on the more likely things are that he will gain that computer full of programs to pick at.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well damn...that's EXACTLY what I've been wanting to hear about ANY shop when it comes to dyno tuning.

Cost is not an issue..I just want to make sure it's correct, and if hours on end is what it takes, and it costs that much more...then so be it. [patriot]

Sounds like a good place overall thus far...anyone else had personal experiences there yet? [burnout]

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTSLN97  Ford pictures for GTSLN97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am probabley going to go through him. How much does apex charge for chip and tune?
dynolabs
Member # 4424

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dynolabs  Ford pictures for dynolabs  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi all,

Here's a brief rundown on the reason SCT tune sessions take a little longer than what most folks are used to. SCT software allows fine tuning of the MAF transfer function. This is key for getting your long/short fuel trims within +/- 5% correction. What that means is the EEC does not have to add/remove a whole lot of injector pulsewidth (fuel) to maintain the commanded air/fuel ratio in the base fuel table. The result is a crisp throttle response and improved drivability. Dyno Labs tunes the entire MAF transfer function from idle to redline. Mike is correct about being able to re-use standard tune values for things like injector size, MAF, axle ratios, timing maps, fuel maps, etc. But the one thing that is unique in each car is getting that last 10-20% of the MAF transfer function dialed in. No two cars are alike in this area. A good example is the fact that most people that buy mail order chips end up sending them back several times for retunes and ultimately give up. This is because it is guesswork since the seller doesnt know what the MAF is doing. Even more critical is that without data logs, the seller doesnt know if the customers blown car has a MAF pegging (maxing out at the 5 volt limit) before the car is done reving - really bad and could lead to dangerously lean conditions. The rest of our tune sessions cover extensive data logging, careful WOT tuning, road testing and fixing drivability issues with customers cars. Issues like coast down shuffle, hanging idle after clutch-in, stumble, idle quality, partial throttle hesitation, shift quality, etc. SCT allows fine tuning of all these other areas of operation. With the awesome capability of SCT's new software, it is only natural that we would extend that capability to our customers through comprehensive tune sessions.

Happy motoring!
Ray

--------------------
Dyno Labs, LLC
SCT Tuning
San Ramon, CA
(925)831-8240
info@dynolabs.net

Posts: 5 | From: San Ramon, CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ray, great info...Thanks for taking the time and explaining your "tunes"...

I know as soon as I need a custom tune, I know who I'm going to... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTSLN97  Ford pictures for GTSLN97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah, i know where I am goign to take my car, as soon as i sell my nitrous kit

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com