Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 42's and tuning question (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: 42's and tuning question
GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTSLN97  Ford pictures for GTSLN97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just finished my s-trim install yestaurday. I put in 42lb injectors with a matching pro-m meter. It idles like shit, very rich, but when i'm actually driving it runs like a champ. Do you think my computer will learn to run better with these injectors or do I need a tune asap? Thanks.
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
tune [patriot] its worth it especially with boost

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DId you put the vortech chip in? If you did then you need a tune. I think the S-trim kit for your year came with 30's. I would not drive it until you get a tune.

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anything 42# and up needs a tune to compensate as the injectors are too extreme for the stock EEC at this level
Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTSLN97  Ford pictures for GTSLN97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont have any chip, stock tune. Its running really bad at idle, dies and shit... damn, imma have to wait hella long to get in for a tune too!
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by GTSLN97:
i dont have any chip, stock tune. Its running really bad at idle, dies and shit... damn, imma have to wait hella long to get in for a tune too!

You should have thought about that before the install. There is no way you can run 42's on a stock computer w/o a chip.

--------------------

GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

where would you recommend I take my car?
Falcon50driver
¯
Member # 3852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Falcon50driver  Ford pictures for Falcon50driver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
can you run 36#'s on a stock computer??

--------------------
66 Falcon
90 Xchp
89 coupe

Posts: 546 | From: Bay Area 650 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Falcon50driver:

yes, but you'd still need a tune with some sort of programable chip or tuning device to compensate

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

quote:

You can run up to around 50 lbs injectors on the stock computer with a tuned chip. Talk to Byron at racesystems. I know the stock computer will not keep up with anything bigger than 50.

[ April 24, 2004, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: TRY2PAZ ]

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by TRY2PAZ:
quote:

You can run up to around 50 lbs injectors on the stock computer with a tuned chip. Talk to Byron at racesystems. I know the stock computer will not keep up with anything bigger than 50.
Well whether or not you can get 36 # injectors to run on a stock computer really depends on your combination of parts and ECM. I've seen a few cars which are able to pull it off and others that cannot. It really comes down to how well your MAF is calibrated for your given combo. Also how well a person is able to tune other areas outside of the computer. The mechanical things such as tps settings, throttle along those lines. Like I mentioned before anything that carries 42#ers and up is almost surely going to need an on board chip or pcm flash to correctly run. A combination featuring 36# injectors certainly has driveability to gain with an on board chip or pcm flash as programming tailored to your particular combo will always turn out the best results. Even with a finely tuned MAF there is almost always room for improvements through tuning at the 36# level. 42# injectors is really the cutting off point for high impedence injectors. A stock pcm is programmed to run on high impedence injectors. At the 50# levels most injector companies switch from High to Low impedence injectors which isn't as simple as a common chip tune. At this level either the pcm is re-flashed to except low impedence programming or there is an inline box with takes the low impedence signal from the injectors and converts it to high impedence ahead of the pcm. I believe the company which sells this inline box is located here in Pleasanton or this is the location of a distributor selling such a product.

[ April 24, 2004, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Falcon50driver
¯
Member # 3852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Falcon50driver  Ford pictures for Falcon50driver    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just picked up some 42's and Pro M draw through calibrated for 42's I also have a diablo chip which i'm sending out for my new combo, will I be alright with that chip tune and a simple home tune ti'll I can get a dyno tune??.....also I live in the penninsula is there any other place other than ApeX that's does' tunes close by?? Thanks for all the input. [patriot]

--------------------
66 Falcon
90 Xchp
89 coupe

Posts: 546 | From: Bay Area 650 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

quote:
I just picked up some 42's and Pro M draw through calibrated for 42's I also have a diablo chip which i'm sending out for my new combo, will I be alright with that chip tune and a simple home tune ti'll I can get a dyno tune??.....also I live in the penninsula is there any other place other than ApeX that's does' tunes close by?? Thanks for all the input. [patriot]

Not that we know of. Make your apointment quick, I know he is back up.

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Theres other places but they use different software. Dyno labs in San Ramon is one which uses SCT tuning software

--------------------

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
Theres other places but they use different software. Dyno labs in San Ramon is one which uses SCT tuning software

I keep hearing about this place. My question to you is (and sorry about borrowing your thread man) if they're using different software, what is needed chip wise? Not an autologic chip I'm guessing? [Confused]

--------------------

GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

quote:
Originally posted by the50ho:
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:

I keep hearing about this place. My question to you is (and sorry about borrowing your thread man) if they're using different software, what is needed chip wise? Not an autologic chip I'm guessing? [Confused]
its all good, i wanna know this too. Thats closer for me and I need a tune.
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

ttt

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ray uses SCT software which is superchips. This would require a different chip than an autologic. As far as results from this place I can't say for certain since I've never been there. I am meeting with Ray tomorrow to discuss some business and I should have a feel for the place at this time.

EDIT: I can't confirm that an autologic chip will not work here just yet. I have heard Mike Westley from chipmaster (autologic) may have teamed with superchips to release this SCT software which may feature autologic style chips. Will keep you all posted as to what I find

[ April 26, 2004, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

cool, thanks mike. I'm interested to know more on this software and tuning, so please....as you find out more report back! [patriot]

I think with the aftercooler and a couple very other small things it may be time to go back for a nice summer tune.

--------------------

GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

Hey. I just talked to them. It is $599 for everything. It is extra if you want more than 1 tune. But the 599 includes everything but tax. Seems like not too bad of a deal and its a lot closer for me than anywhere else.
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Hey. I just talked to them. It is $599 for everything. It is extra if you want more than 1 tune. But the 599 includes everything but tax. Seems like not too bad of a deal and its a lot closer for me than anywhere else.

Get a PMS for 400 more bucks plus you can change it all if you change set-ups for as long as you want and however many times you want.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Does that include a 'courtesy reach around'?
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LOL. hey thats not right.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

dude...600 bucks for a tune? [Roll Eyes] if that's the case, I'll definately be calling anderson ford motorsport. [Frown]

[ April 28, 2004, 04:47 PM: Message edited by: the50ho ]

--------------------

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think it's 499 unless it just went up this week...

The good thing about Dynolabs is that the tune throughout the entire week, not just on weekends.

I called to make an appt on a friday and was in the next tuesday. [Big Grin]

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com