Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » HP after modifications?? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: HP after modifications??
Stalkerstang
¯
Member # 4208

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Stalkerstang  Ford pictures for Stalkerstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi. I'm lightning89mg older brother. I just have a question. I have a 95 stang/automatic that is stock. I have 3:73 in the rear end and ram air kit w/ K&N filter. At the track my best time was a 15.4 (which I am not happy about at all) so I've decided to put $$ into my car.I would like ot get the Edelbrock Performer II manifold with BBK pulley kit as well as BBK shorty headers and BBK X-Pipe exhaust system w/ high flow cats and 40 sereies 2-chamber flowmasters. Would anybody eb able to tell me possibly how much more HP increase I will get (stock comes with 215) and how much time will I be bale to take off in the quarter mile?? Thanks!! [Confused]
Posts: 16 | From: Belmont, Ca. | Registered: Feb 2004  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont get the Edelbrock RPM II manifold for your car...The runners are too short and it makes power in the higher RPM where you wont reach with stock heads....Stick with the regular Performer intake....

Dont buy BBK, there are a ton of other products that have WAY better quality control....Try ASP pulley's, Ford racing performance parts headers, Bassani X pipe, and Flowmaster "cat-back"...You might want to add a shift kit on top of that...

With pulleys, an intake manifold, headers, catted X-pipe and a cat back I'm guessing you'll probably be in the 14's....Those mods are worth about 40hp

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get nitrious. Best bang for the buck!!! $300 make you fly
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When I had my 95 I went 15.8 at 88mphwith a 2.3 60 ft. I added cold air, FMS pulleys(you can get those really cheap at Serramonte Ford), then a BBK off road H 2 chamber flows and the two things that really made my car scream were the 4.10's and the shift kit. My neck was snapping when the car shifted it was great. After this I went 14.2 with a 2.2 60 ft at 99.8 MPH. That was on street tires with 10* of timing. Bump timing up to 14 and give me some dragradials or slicks and we're talking 13's. You already have the ram air, I would just get the c&l tube that goes between the mass air and TB. Smoothe out some of those curves the stock tube has. I could pick up the pulleys for you tomorrow for $100 if you want me to. If I was you I would keep your stock H and get a Bassani off road X. Your dad or Marc even could change to the stock pipe in the matter of an hour for you to pass smog, then the off road X will get you numbers you're looking for the rest of the time. Don't get the flows, try something straight through like Dynomax or Magnaflows seem to be real popular these days. Your almost there with the gears as well, get the shift kit(gotelli's $70 plus install) and these few thinks and some sticky tires and talk about some 13's. It'snot going to take a manifold to get you where you want to be. You could hit the same numbers you would've with that manifold for way less money. If this doesn't satisfy you then you cn go with some more bolt ons like headers and a mass air meter and aluminum driveshaft. It's not always smart to go expensive. If you want more than this just spray it like everyone says. If you tune it right, it will be as safe as it gets [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DropTopFox:
[qb] When I had my 95 I went 15.8 at 88mphwith a 2.3 60 ft. I added cold air, FMS pulleys(you can get those really cheap at Serramonte Ford), then a BBK off road H 2 chamber flows and the two things that really made my car scream were the 4.10's and the shift kit. My neck was snapping when the car shifted it was great. After this I went 14.2 with a 2.2 60 ft at 99.8 MPH. That was on street tires with 10* of timi

[ March 04, 2004, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: PeNiNsula302 ]

lightning89mg
¯
Member # 2673

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightning89mg  Ford pictures for lightning89mg    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey, we want to keep his car smog legal, so its gonna be x-pipe with high flow cats. But if the intake is pointless what else would help hp other than Nitrous... I dont want to do anything too major like heads or cam, but what other things that are LEGAL can we do???? Thanks guys!
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
we've pretty much named them all marc...

the only other things that i can think of are... deleting the a/c and power steering, 1.7 rockers, 65mm throttle body

[ March 01, 2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: PeNiNsula302 ]

Stalkerstang
¯
Member # 4208

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for Stalkerstang  Ford pictures for Stalkerstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I checked Summit Catalog and I think Im gonna go with the Performer Manifold. IT says it dynaed 37 extra HP at 5,500 rpm w/o sacrificing torque and I think it will increase the HP in my motor some. I think it will do better then my stock manifold. I think it will work even with the stock stuff I have. [patriot] [Cool] [Cool]
Posts: 16 | From: Belmont, Ca. | Registered: Feb 2004  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a manifold is not worthless on a stock 5.0. its one of the best mods you can buy especially if you find a used one for $300-350

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

quote:
Originally posted by HungryHippo:
a manifold is not worthless on a stock 5.0. its one of the best mods you can buy especially if you find a used one for $300-350

Thats an awful waste of good money [Roll Eyes] . The rest of the mods listed will have more of an impact than getting a manifold. Get some track times with the other mods first, add the manifold, and then see if it was worth the bucks. If your gonna spend $350+ on anything why not get nitrous which can drop you roughly 7-9 tenths than a manifold which might get you 1.

Rick, that 37hp is a maximum power gain and im sure on a non stock application. Im sure even cold air can give you 15 hp with the right combo [Big Grin]

[ March 02, 2004, 12:43 AM: Message edited by: PeNiNsula302 ]

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so spending $600+ on a full exhaust isnt a waste of money? headers dont do shit. catback barely does anything. the only thing that will make power is the X/H pipe. a new maf wont do anything. the intake is the most restrictive part on a 5.0

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

I think the stock exhaust is a little more restrictive than the intake in this situation, but hey its his money, right? You can find some used headers and an x-pipe im sure for $200 in good condition, and a catback is how much? $600 is a rough figure... I didnt say to get a new maf, i mentioned the same inlet tube that drop top was talking about. [patriot]

-oh and the heads are the most restrictive part on a 5.0

[ March 02, 2004, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: PeNiNsula302 ]

BlueLightning302
¯
Member # 3974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueLightning302  Ford pictures for BlueLightning302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
first thing I would get is torque converter.

--------------------
Originally Member #935

2003 Mustang Cobra - Some mods

"Well, atleast the slow one's trying!!" - Al Bundy

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Marc I thought you had a lightining? Did you and your brother trade cars? I would get a converter get heads cam and intake and you will be set

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by lightning89mg:
Hey, we want to keep his car smog legal, so its gonna be x-pipe with high flow cats. But if the intake is pointless what else would help hp other than Nitrous... I dont want to do anything too major like heads or cam, but what other things that are LEGAL can we do???? Thanks guys!

Well we have two bad moves here. I understand your concern for keeping the car smog leagal which is why I stated to keep the stock pipe laying around while the off road pipe is on the car making more power than a catted pipe which people seem to be having trouble with on the new smog anyways [Roll Eyes] You're losing everything from your tranny rick until you realize that your car won't make any of the power numbers these parts are advertising. They also advertise motor power and not rwhp. People are willing to give you good advice, it's yours to take if you wish.
shift kit shift kit shift kit, but never mind I don't remember anything about what worked and what didn't on my old 95

--------------------

-Me

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

quote:
Originally posted by HungryHippo:
so spending $600+ on a full exhaust isnt a waste of money? headers dont do shit. catback barely does anything. the only thing that will make power is the X/H pipe. a new maf wont do anything. the intake is the most restrictive part on a 5.0

I didn't tell him to spend this money on a manifold nor exhaust. I told him tp spend $70 on a shift kit and $260 on an off road pipe from bassani. Yes those two mods will own a performer intake manifold at the track. If you don't believe this you buy a stock 94-95GT with an automatic and I'll buy one. You throw a performer intake on and I'll throw a shift kit and an off road pipe on and we'll see who wins. The most restrictive part on a 5.0 is not the manifold it's the heads. I'm going to have quote 93 Pony on this one. "Build it, Race it, proove your point!" I had a 95 GT with a shift kit, 4.10's off road pipe, CAI, pullies, and a cat back with street tires and 10* of timing. It went 14.2 at 98. Best capable 60ft was a 2.2 with the 4.10's and street tires. If you want to substitue the shift kit and off road pipe for a manifold and proove to me I'm wrong go for it, I'd even pay half the money to see it happen [patriot]

--------------------

-Me

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

i was implying that headers and catback are a waste of money. why cant he buy an intake as well as a shift kit and X/H pipe?
i have proved my point... 94 gt, cobra intake, catted H, pulleys, 3.73's, nothing else 13.8@100. out of every mod i have done, the cobra intake has done more than anything else alone. it gives you 500 more useable rpms

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

yea this is on a 5 speed that you can shift as fast as you want. The stock AODE blows ass and with a shift kit it was worth much more time then any other mod. You can't expect the same results from an AODE that you can a T5. I'm talking about matching the money for money not getting both at the same time. Go drive an AODE and you'll see how incredibly long it takes to shift, we're talking a half a second just our of a shit kit at least [patriot]

[ March 03, 2004, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: DropTopFox ]

--------------------

-Me

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Byt the way judging by your car page if you hit 13.8 with just those 3-4 mods why do you only hit 13.6 after all the rest of your mods including the cam and ported heads, not to mention rockers ignition headers, I'm all confused here...this stuff only gave you two tenths [Eek!]

--------------------

-Me

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

quote:
Originally posted by DropTopFox:
Byt the way judging by your car page if you hit 13.8 with just those 3-4 mods why do you only hit 13.6 after all the rest of your mods including the cam and ported heads, not to mention rockers ignition headers, I'm all confused here...this stuff only gave you two tenths [Eek!]

and 2 mph [Confused]
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

quote:
Originally posted by DropTopFox:

exactly, that is my point. btw it was 13.5 with untouched heads and before the cam was degreed.

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

You know I agree. Rick go with this guys opinion not mine, he's will to spend close to 2 grand for 2 tenths, sounds like you are too [Frown]

--------------------

-Me

lightning89mg
¯
Member # 2673

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightning89mg  Ford pictures for lightning89mg    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Waoh, Ryan, no need to be angry... Now one person is saying one thing, while the other person says something else. We came on this forum to find help, but instead we got 2 different opinions and a bunch of people fighting. After reading this whole thread, it seems that we should just sell the mustang and buy a chevy, because one person says one part makes a difference while the other says its a waste of money and garbage... So, clearly nuthing has been accomplished here! Good work guys! ---> [Whoo Whooooo!]
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Well your bound to get a couple different opinions on a message board... But then again thats whats good about it, you get different tips/views that the other person might not know... In this case, go with what you think is gonna work on the car, but im 100% with ryan and many others would agree as well... [patriot]

btw: that is ryan calm, [Wink]

[ March 04, 2004, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: PeNiNsula302 ]

lightning89mg
¯
Member # 2673

Scott, honest to God, I hate you! lol, j/k bro, well the reason we asked about the mods is to get info... Cause if I know what was gonna work, I would not have asked.. especially you! lol, j/k again! I know, its just difficult cause you want to spend the least amount of $$ and get the most amount of performance possible.. U know how it is!!!

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com