Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » any problem passing smog with 4.10's? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: any problem passing smog with 4.10's?
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BOUNTY- are those headers available for 96 Cobra's? Cause i want to get headers, put now with the whole SMOG thing,i dont want to worry about not passing. BUt yet i want the HP that long tubes give u.

[patriot]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For the 96 and up cars i am the wrong person to ask because i have no idea about what is and isnt legal on them sorry.
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BOUNTY HUNTER VERT:
I dont think you are going to have any luck passing smog with long tube headers. Instead of long tubes go with the AFM 1 3/4 shorties with a bbk or bassani x pipe and it will run close to as good as with the long tubes might be 5 hp less with the shorties but they will have less ground clearance issues.

Kyle I passed with long tubes...oh wait no I didnt-I got busted with them. Ooops my bad.

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They've had treadmill testing in SoCA and Sac for a long time, I've never heard anyone failing because of gears or a mismatch of RPMs. At 25mph in 2nd gear, the difference between 2.73 and 4.10 is about 850rpms.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol that good old smog ref lol whatever happened to him i remember the stops on all of our registrations got lifted but is he still around????
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

lol that good old smog ref lol whatever happened to him i remember the stops on all of our registrations got lifted but is he still around????
Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've had to shift a bone stock Saturn from 2nd to 3rd to keep it in the desired rpm range, so while the dyno does prompt you to stay in a certain gear, most will try to get achieve the desired rpm and speed. When i ran my '65 just for the 'el of it, I did have to shift to third to keep it within the rpm range(I run 3.70's w/26" tires,225/50/16 Dunlop D60's).

Also, the new enhanced smog check that the bay area will get in October is NO different than the one in LA and the Central Valley that has been in use since 1997. The same stuff applies, if you find a smog tech dumb enough to risk loosing his smog license, get fined, and even go to jail, to overlook your non-CARB mods then you have little to worry about. But with then amout of time and money a tech must invest to get his or her license now, I think there will be fewer willing to risk it, I know I wont.

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com