Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car was a big dissapointment at the strip..whats the next best step? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Car was a big dissapointment at the strip..whats the next best step?
The Rick
¯
Member # 327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rick  Ford pictures for The Rick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well, I'm rewriting after I lost my post [Mad]

I ran it three times and both times it ran 100.x mph. Both runs were with 2.2x 60fts. The 1st run I shifted at 6500 (I know way to high) and the 2nd run I shifted at 6k. Is that way to high? The third run I was going to shift at 5500 but the odd thing about this run is that when I hit it in 1st it spun/went sideways bad and then I short shifted second and continued to spin/sideways. I just slopped it into third and ended up still at 96mph with a horribly slow shift into third and not that on it.

I was hoping for something in the 104-108mph range as that seems to be the norm with my mod list if not higher. COuld it be a tune issue? I had to stick with the stock fuel pressure regulator and I have 30lbs on the stock computer untuned. It seems to run ok and usually idles good.

Any help/pointers are welcome. I'm hoping a dyno tune will make it run correct? Car is a 1990 gt with the stock bottom end.

Here is the mod list:
TFS twisted wedge heads box stock
TFS track heat intake upper/lower
TFS stage 1 cam
Trick flow 1.6 roller rockers
30lb ford motorsport injectors
6.75" hardened TFS push rods
Accufab 65mm TB
Pro-M 75mm MAS
Trickflow standard height valve covers
walbro 255lph fuel pump high pressure
bbk equal length shorties
mac prochamber
dronemaster 2ch catback
3.73s
kumho 275's on rear with 17x9 everyonehasthem wheels

--------------------
90GT: h/c/i
05 wrx

Posts: 868 | From: plumas lake (sacramento area) | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
gotta be a tune issue, your car shoulda run that with gears and bolts-ons and a stock motor.

timing, fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, even firing order are things I'd check first.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Fast472Mach1
¯
Member # 2559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast472Mach1  Ford pictures for Fast472Mach1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This might be a little off but roller rockers on these things are extremely touchy. I've lost power on mine by getting them 1/4 turn to far. Speaking of which I'm having that problem right now.

--------------------
11.7@116 1.7 60ft. N/A
11.4@124 1.9 60ft. 100NX

Posts: 639 | From: Laguna West | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
30lb injectors + 40psi base fuel pressure is WAY too rich for that setup. Get that straightened out & it'll feel much better & run harder.
But...with that combo & an average weight Foxbody, I'd say the best MPH you'll see will be a 106.xx.

That cam is just....weak. Look me up when you're in the market for something with a little more Umph. [Smile]

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
30lb injectors + 40psi base fuel pressure is WAY too rich for that setup. Get that straightened out & it'll feel much better & run harder.
But...with that combo & an average weight Foxbody, I'd say the best MPH you'll see will be a 106.xx.

That cam is just....weak. Look me up when you're in the market for something with a little more Umph. [Smile]

Jon runs that cam on a stock bottom end 302. best pass 11.92 How is that weak?

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How heavy is Jon's coupe again?
Oh, & what heads are on that thing?
Lastly.....why isn't his stage 1 for sale with the heads/intake?
Nobody aside from Jon has had to notch the pistons with a TFS stage 1 & TW heads. There is a TON of room under the valves with that cam.....no matter how much was milled off the heads.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Rick let me know when you decide to get it dynod, and tune, we'll go together.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
93pony the cam IS a trick flow stage 1, trust me TEA fucked up and cut TOO much off the heads. To get the intake to sit right I had to cut the the intake .180 on each side and .060 off the bottom. If you want when i pull the motor apart you cam check the cam for me.

[ April 09, 2003, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: jmcclesk ]

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
jmcclesk- Don't even try to logic or reason with the guy. I heard him say Sadaam lost the war because his tanks didn't have custom cams [Big Grin] [Razz]

The Rick- A few things I can think of...

A) Driver (can you post the entire timeslip?

B) Driver

C) Did I mention Driver? [Big Grin]

D) After we get the previous 3 mods down, like mentioned above, dropping fuel pressure wouldn't hurt.

E) What is your timing at? At what point does it start to ping?

F) Do have 'basic' mods like pullies, 180 thermo, and a K&N right?

Also, be weary of a guy that blames your cam as the reason your TFS heads/intake/cam 5.O ran 100 mph. [patriot]

[ April 09, 2003, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: st5150 ]

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
Originally posted by jmcclesk:
93pony the cam IS a trick flow stage 1, trust me TEA fucked up and cut TOO much off the heads. To get the intake to sit right I had to cut the the intake .180 on each side and .060 off the bottom. If you want when i pull the motor apart you cam check the cam for me.

Really...I'd Love to see that cam. Let me know when you plan on pulling it & I'll help you. [Smile]
How much P2V clearance did you have BTW? Did you have to cut both the intake & exhaust? Do you know what centerline the cam was installed on?
I ask for a few reasons....mainly, if the cam was installed too far advanced/retarded, you'd only have to cut the intake or the exhaust...not both.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Possibly your differential needs to be checked to make sure you're not doing a one legger if you are getting sidewayz like that. [Confused]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Jon...you're in my area right?
Mind leaving the cam in there so I can degree it before you take it out?
Sometimes there's factory defects... Case in point, yellow94gt's E303 measured 222/220 110lsa.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
honestly setting it to 40 PSI w/30#'s is not that far off.

I've had my best results around 37 PSI (vac off) with 30#'ers.

More fuel is always better than less fuel when you've got a new combo.

Everybody told me to run ~32 PSI on my combo and that would be about 4-5 mph slower than what I currently run.

And Shaun needs to STFU because his twice-custom cam'd Twin turbo 331 doesn't ET as well as Jon's stock shortblock 302 w/o a power adder! LMAO! [patriot]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh one more thing the trick flow intake sits high. How well is the port mach at the heads/intake. I would say the A/F is TOO rich. check it with a wide band. [patriot]

--------------------

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
Sometimes there's factory defects... Case in point, yellow94gt's E303 measured 222/220 110lsa.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Sure, no problem the valve events were within 1 degree of the spec card. I didnt belive it eather I had another mechanic check and he came up with the same # By all rights there should have been .060-.080 clearance on the intake. Thats why i always check. I have seen as much as .035-.045 clerance with the same setup's on diffrent short blocks.

[ April 09, 2003, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: jmcclesk ]

--------------------

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
quote:

One more time. Come on Jon, let me degree that bitch. [Big Grin]

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
Sure, no problem the valve events were within 1 degree of the spec card. I didnt belive it eather I had another mechanic check and he came up with the same # By all rights there should have been .060-.080 clearance on the intake. Thats why i always check. I have seen as much as .035-.045 clerance with the same setup's on diffrent short blocks.

I've never seen a TFS1 cam run as hard as you. I'd like to see Exactly what the specs come out to under my dial indicator. [Wink]

So....when am I coming over to do this? [Big Grin]

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you blind or just a bias hater? [Big Grin] Look at Jim's car... damn near same combo (TFS 1 cam, ported TW's) that would run the same MPH if the cars weighed the same [Whoo Whooooo!]

[ April 09, 2003, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: st5150 ]

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

I only had to cut the intake. after the cut if i rember correctly .100 exuast and .080 on the intake. i had approx .020-.025 on the intake before the cut.

--------------------

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

when do you want to come over???? [burnout]

--------------------

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Jim runs 1.7's & didn't have to cut the pistons. Jims car is also heavier.

Having to cut that much on the intake is excessive. The cams 221 lobe is weak....about the same as the E303's 220 lobe. If installed as designed the Intake lobe would be at .050 lift at 4.5 degrees before TDC & closing. That's .080 lift at the valve....& closing.
Having to notch only the intake suggests that this cam must be at least 10 degrees advanced....at least. The ramp rate of this cam is in the area of 20-25 degrees per .050 lift.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
when do you want to come over???? [burnout]

I'm free all day Friday & Saturday before Grudgenight. [burnout]

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dam Jon I didn't mean to start anything... Don't rip the motor apart yet! lol I still want it.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:
Jim runs 1.7's & didn't have to cut the pistons.

Holy shit, that changes everything!!!!!!! [worship] [worship] Sorry, I was mistaken, I thought they ran the pretty much the same damn combo [burnout]

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com