Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Vortech Questions (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Vortech Questions
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The intercooler is a restriction: plane and simple, just like a valve guide is to an overhead valve cylinder head, it's there, and it impedes flow.

If all you want is mass in your combustion chambers why not use H20 [Wink]

given that pressure drops across an intercooler, and you are attempting to increase airmass the most, I will have to refer you to an important theory:

the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

It tells me that in this closed system, you will not get 'work' for free--- read increased air mass/charge etc. by passing your airstream through some convoluted tubing under pressure.

In fact I guarantee you the highest air mass possible is by letting PV=nRT do it's thing and heat the air.

The gain you get is driveability under high temp situations and low octane gas. It's a no-brainer mod, but don't try to tell me you've defeated the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

An intercooler is a passive device--- it will take away energy (read airflow) period.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alright....You're over my head now.

I think I'll stick with my low boost/cool air power adder setup for now. [Big Grin]

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This post whoring shit happened the last time I posted and I missed out. I get all of your points and they all make sense but the the end of this thread which is what I just reached I have one person saying intercooler means more power and one person saying intercooler means less power. Instead of power increases or decreases, how about this- Its over 100 degrees outside, will an intercooler help shit out or not? I dont care about power at this point. I got more than I expected when I built the motor. Now I just dont want it to break after spending 15k. Thanks
Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by LAST302:
Instead of power increases or decreases, how about this- Its over 100 degrees outside, will an intercooler help shit out or not? Thanks

Definately.

A GOOD air to air, Bar/fin intercooler can lower the compressor temps to 15 degrees above ambient at peak compressor efficiency.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
before i ran my cobra at the track, i would have said someone was full of crap if they claimed a 79 HP increase with a power pipe!
seems to me that if you look closely at the answers, you will notice the folks with superchargers/turbochargers seem to agree.

[Wink]

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Aww shucks, I missed the fun [Frown] [Razz]

Last302- A wise man suggested you drop your base timing 1-3 degrees "for safety" and enjoy your 5.O [Smile]

Oh yeah, not going WOT on hot days or after long drives (heat soaked motor and fuel pumps) wouldn't hurt either.

04 Mystic
¯
Member # 220

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 Mystic  Ford pictures for 04 Mystic    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You have got to like that last response!!!!!!! Words to live by.
Jim

LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sawson- Like I said, I finally have a motor that is turn key, a/c, like out the door brand new showroom 542 hp car. I freakin love it!!! As of now and even last summer when it was hot out I did not have any timing issues. With the chip as you are well aware of I have the distributor at base 10 and have it advanced through the chip with the 4 way switch. Even before the tune from Byron it ran great and after the dyno tune it was even better. No problems at all to speak of I just am looking for the complete setup to make this sucker, well complete. I guess the next question is does anyone know of somewhere or brand that makes a setup for my year(95) cause I cant seem to find anyone(vortech) or am I going to be going the full custom route? Thanks you guys, what would I do without you?

BTW- she dont be likin the heat in the summer anyway so I try to keep her inside till the sun goes down but I am the kind of person that wants to know everything is copastetic!!!

[ March 04, 2003, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: LAST302 ]

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Scott, does your car make 542 rwhp or 466? Just curious.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Don- 466rwhp so I believe that equates to about 542 at the fly depending on whos calculation you use. Hows things going? Your Back ok now?
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Scott - My back feels better than it EVER has before. Seriously. It is incredible. If I knew the difference was going to be this good and quick I would have done it while in school.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Thats good, I am happy for you!! So I guess you wont be needing all those pain killers that you got laying around the house anymore?? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com