Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » another question on the 351 (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: another question on the 351
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What kind of combo do you guys recomend for my upcoming 351W. heads, intake........ supercharger? hmmmmmmmmmmmm

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
David,

It all depends on what kind of performance you are looking for. What kind of "power band" are you looking for. Power off idle...power top end? Torque...horsepower??? Also..what kind of budget? I personally would build a nasty 306 or maybe even a 331, but whatever floats your boat.... We need more info Dave!

Jack

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well, high end horsepower is fun, thats what my car is good with when its running right. But, nothing is better then watching your friends head slam into the back of the seat. So im thinking low end torque. Im not quite sure on how much money I will have, so lets "pretend" that its not an issue.

--------------------
86 GT

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
money is no issue...392 stroker. FULLY FORGED LOWER, 4 bolt mains...don't feel like typing everything, basically, AFR heads done up, nice matching cam, and about 300 shot of the silly juice. Trust me, I have this combo written out on paper...that and the [Worship] 514 ci beast [Worship] I thought up!!!

Jack [Worship]

--------------------

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dude that would be nice. you know, on another note, I will be looking for a short shifter pretty soon. So if you have yours in a couple of weeks I'll definatly buy it. Me and third gear don't really get along very well. On the motor issue, I think I'm going to stay in the 351 area, for now

--------------------
86 GT

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

ok, but if you want something nasty...let me know...hope you win the lotto first!!!!

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much boost? Whats the over all goal? I wouldn't go with anything less than AFR185's regardless. I would consider AFR205's, Victor JR's, TFS-R's (maybe), ect. TFS 351 R intake..... You're going to need a real tranny and a real fuel system. $$$$$$. If money where no object, personally, I'd buy a house first
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

I want it fast. Not mild, but not fucking insane. something in between. 400-500 range. that way when some fag in his new vette w/ his girlfriend pulls up and talks shit(which does happen to me a lot), I can give him a nice lesson in what getting spanked feels like.

--------------------
86 GT

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

The blower or NOS is the very last thing that I will do. I havnt even given it much thought. I'll definatly wait until next year to get a blower. I should be all paid off by then

--------------------
86 GT

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Hey Jack, I heard that ricky's car got all fucked up. Do you know what happened?

--------------------
86 GT

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think you should just research a solid heads/intake/cam combo for your stock bottem end. Take it to the track often and see how you measure up compared to others with similar combos, both at the track and online. Chances are once you've done this, you'll be enlightened and not worry so much about a vette in the other lane. In the mean time, invest that 351W money in stocks. Certain sectors of the major are extremely low right now

Just my two cents

THE COUG
¯
Member # 743

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE COUG  Ford pictures for THE COUG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well seeing as I will never get a race. I'll let you guy's in on some info I have to share about this topic. Allot of things matter about a engine combo but the first mistake people make with the 351w is to go steel crank 4 bolt main etc etc. The fact is the 351w is a very stout short block. I have been racing it for 10 years now and can tell you that the stock crank and block are very strong (unlike the 302). Also if your talking about drag racing a 10 in tire car with stock rear suspension you would be better off to stick with the 351w displacement. The reason for this is the torque that the stocker 392 etc etc make down low good luck getting that throw you back in the seat feeling when the tires just spin!
I think the best heads for the money are the Vic jr's. For a grand you get a head that flows very well and is capible of 700 hp with juice or a blower! However with any big valve head you must have a cam with allot of lift so as to not impede the flow of the head by shrouding the port. Kinda blocking it if you will so a minimum lift of 550 would be best. Then there is the reast of the issue's blower, nos, gears, stall conv, stick, smog concern, etc.
Here is the combo I run
Solid roller cam 588 598 lift 264 272@50 dur. on 110 lobe sep.
Stock 89 351w block with stock crank 10/10 eagle rods and lunati pistons with plasma molly rings.
Vic jr heads ( Done by Cylinder head Dynamics )
Vic jr intake
My own custom built carb that flows 895cfm.
All MSD ign.
comp is 10.9.1.
This combo runs on pump gas and made 400 hp to the rear tires and 476 ft pounds of torque on the motor allone!!!
Here is another thought for you guys! Why is it nos motors live longer than blower motors???
Asnwere; Because when the bottle is off the motor doesn't know it is there!! I bet you never thought of it that way. The downfall of course to this is the fact that with a blower car you always have that power when you want it and the bottle never goes empty
This combo is very streatable and can be built for around 5g. Not bad considering thats a 500hp motor at the flywheel and with the juice well thats another story

--------------------
Racing on fly paper is for pussies

Dukester
¯
Member # 605

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dukester  Ford pictures for Dukester    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, there are several factors that you haven't added yet. Is this going to be a daily driver or a weekend toy?? I have a great shortblock that may interest you if you don't have a long commute or if it's just going to be a toy.

2k miles

'69 351W .... .030 over pistons w/.150 domes, shot-peened rods, micro-polished crank, racer brown .562 solid lift cam, Canton racing 8qt pan

Motor went 12.20 w/ Dart sr. heads and torker manifold in '66 stang w/ c4 and 3.73 gears weight @3472lbs

Make offer....if using in a newer stang, you will have to get a different oil pan and timing cover.

Posts: 54 | From: Campbell, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

David-

Yeah, Ricky's shit got messed up. I guess somebody put an ax through his new hood, wing, and windshield. Nice huh? Suposedly he messed around with some girl...blew her off, and the older brother got mad.... [BS flag] well, maybe it's true, that's what he says happened..but it wouldn't suprise me if he was just revving at the wrong person and talking shit..he tends to do that!!! But that's why we love Ricky, right?

Jack [Bling Bling]

--------------------

OutlawZ
The OutlawZ
Member # 24

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OutlawZ  Ford pictures for OutlawZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Coug, you've got alot of interesting info in there about your setup... It sounds alot like what I've got going into my car (95 LT1 Camaro).... The stock block is very strong even when it's a 2 bolt (Dave Diluca runs a stock block and he's run 9.11@152 about 30 times with a 400 shot!!!!)...

So to that end even though it's fuel injected here's what I've got ready to assemble at the machine shop.

355 cube LT1 (.030 over)
6" eagle H-beams (stock is 5.7")
Stock polished steel crank
SRP Flat tops (11.8:1 compression) Reverse cooled block allows high compression with no detonation.
Stage II Ported LT1 heads (opened up to about 195cc's) 2.00 int, 1.56 exh stainless valves, undercut stems, three angle valve job, blah blah blah
Fully ported intake
58mm throttle body (basically equivalent to a 1000cfm dominator)
CC Xtreme 236/242 @.050 .555/.576 112lsa (keep in mind it's computer controlled and this is about the biggest I can go without solid roller)
Hooker longtubes
4" Mufflex catback with flowmaster race muffler.

Basically I'm looking at at least 400RWHP and somewhere in the 420RWTQ range. This is off of real world results with other similarly prepped motors (actually with smaller cams than mine)... I plan on spraying it once the DFI tuning issues are sorted out on motor alone..... I want to get it running 100% before putting a plate on it... But 600RWHP is my short/long term goal... And I'd like to see 700RWTQ.... Whaddaya think???

--------------------
1995 OutlawZ28
Old motor-355 ci LT1 10.40@131
New motor-CSM Race Engines solid roller 383 LT1....
Cali's fastest LT1-period....

Posts: 486 | From: Fairfizzle, CA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
THE COUG
¯
Member # 743

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE COUG  Ford pictures for THE COUG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Marshal mathers sounds like you got a good handle on it
You also know some of the same people I do like Chris Chow
Look me up when you get back in the states!

--------------------
Racing on fly paper is for pussies

OutlawZ
The OutlawZ
Member # 24

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OutlawZ  Ford pictures for OutlawZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Shiet, I'm back now... I live in VA.... Too bad it's in the states just the WRONG state!!! I hate it here. My engine blew up. The people here are fags. Streetracing is a bunch of gay radial racers talking about how bad they are and then they show up on some Pep Boys futura radials!!!!

Yeah Chow's my dawg. He installed the DFI on my car (it's the DFI from his former red Z) I can't wait to see his twin turbo V8 buick.

--------------------
1995 OutlawZ28
Old motor-355 ci LT1 10.40@131
New motor-CSM Race Engines solid roller 383 LT1....
Cali's fastest LT1-period....

Posts: 486 | From: Fairfizzle, CA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
MikeySBF
¯
Member # 865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeySBF  Ford pictures for MikeySBF  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Marshall Mathers:
Hey Coug, you've got alot of interesting info in there about your setup... It sounds alot like what I've got going into my car (95 LT1 Camaro).... The stock block is very strong even when it's a 2 bolt (Dave Diluca runs a stock block and he's run 9.11@152 about 30 times with a 400 shot!!!!)...

So to that end even though it's fuel injected here's what I've got ready to assemble at the machine shop.

355 cube LT1 (.030 over)
6" eagle H-beams (stock is 5.7")
Stock polished steel crank
SRP Flat tops (11.8:1 compression) Reverse cooled block allows high compression with no detonation.
Stage II Ported LT1 heads (opened up to about 195cc's) 2.00 int, 1.56 exh stainless valves, undercut stems, three angle valve job, blah blah blah
Fully ported intake
58mm throttle body (basically equivalent to a 1000cfm dominator)
CC Xtreme 236/242 @.050 .555/.576 112lsa (keep in mind it's computer controlled and this is about the biggest I can go without solid roller)
Hooker longtubes
4" Mufflex catback with flowmaster race muffler.

Basically I'm looking at at least 400RWHP and somewhere in the 420RWTQ range. This is off of real world results with other similarly prepped motors (actually with smaller cams than mine)... I plan on spraying it once the DFI tuning issues are sorted out on motor alone..... I want to get it running 100% before putting a plate on it... But 600RWHP is my short/long term goal... And I'd like to see 700RWTQ.... Whaddaya think???

now that sounds like a nasty combo for that maro, id love to hear how much you spent on that, im lookin at maybe gettin into a maro like that, who knows,

Posts: 371 | From: East bay, cali | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

what do you guys think of this possible combo: 351W block, TRW forged pistons (.030) clevite 77 rod, main and cam bearings, wolverine blue racer 292/512 cam and lifters, cloyes double roller timing chain, and high volume oil pump with new pump drive, reground crank, bored and honed block, arp bolts, GT40 upper and lower intake, GT40 heads, Mac longtubes, offroad H-pipe, 24lbs injectors, 70mm throttle body, 77mm mass air, 2 chamber flowmasters, and MSD distributer. I think thats all.

--------------------
86 GT

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

oh shit, i forgoy the compression. 10:1

--------------------
86 GT

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

ok david-

Where the hell did you pull those #'s from? I know not from your head....sounds healthy though. How much would all of this cost? This combo would run hard...but not scream like you are wanting it to. Don't get me wrong...it would be quick, but I'm thinking like 12.20's...Maybe. And the injectors might need to be 30#'s but that all comes in time.

Jack

--------------------

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

I got the numbers from a website. The individual parts I pulled out from my ass. 12.20's sounds good for a car that I would be driving to school and back. Oh yeah, I've decided to get nitrous instead of a blower. 100-150 shot probably I'll get that after I get the motor and some form of a suspension and drivetrain.

--------------------
86 GT

Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:
Originally posted by cobraman_1994:
what do you guys think of this possible combo: 351W block, TRW forged pistons (.030) clevite 77 rod, main and cam bearings, wolverine blue racer 292/512 cam and lifters, cloyes double roller timing chain, and high volume oil pump with new pump drive, reground crank, bored and honed block, arp bolts, GT40 upper and lower intake, GT40 heads, Mac longtubes, offroad H-pipe, 24lbs injectors, 70mm throttle body, 77mm mass air, 2 chamber flowmasters, and MSD distributer. I think thats all.

Put this motor in a truck, not a 'stang. Its basicly a lightning motor with a cam. It won't even make 300 RWHP. If you do your homework and choose a GOOD heads/intake/cam *combo*, it will make more power than this GT40 headed 351 you listed.

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That cam wants to run to 7500 and that intake wants to run to 5400. My $0.02 (re: GT-40 on a 351).

Look at the gen 1 lightning for a 351 combo to avoid. Decent shortblock, w/ GT-40 iron heads and GT-40 intake. Something like 25x fly-wheel HP.

If I built up a 351 and it didn't make at least 351 fwhp I'd want to end myself!

edit: doh! beat me too it.

[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

Stimson
_
Member # 51

THE COUG- Good points. The reason 'most' 392's make so much "torque" (low RPM HP) is because people stick on restrictive heads and intakesfor 400 cubes. Much like many Performer RPM, TFS TW and even worse... GT40 headed 351's. Some TFS-R's or better yet blue thunder heads on a 392/408 won't make a Ford feel like a tractor

Random_351_Guy-"Wow my Performer RPM headed 351 makes so much 'torque'!!!"

The_Truth-"Nice, you've choked that 351W up top with some dinky heads. Enjoy your 'torque' when going up hill and pulling a trailor as you'll never be below 4,000RPM durring a race!"

I like this quote by a wise man..... "Put 302 parts on a 351w if you want 302 horsepower from a 351w"

-Sawson

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com