Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » another question on the 351 (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: another question on the 351
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you guys know more about this then I do, so what combo would you guys suggest?

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
*ahem*

junkyard 351W rebuilt (shortblock) w/1 yr 12,000 mile warranty
$750

850 CFM double-pumper Holley (what gas mileage?)

ported windsor SR. heads (you may want to ship these to a reputable shop)

Victor style intake

comp cam 282 solid roller to start

I would expect 380-400 rwhp from this combo.

[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: shade-tree ]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i want to keep it fuel injected though.

--------------------
86 GT

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
same heads, I'd go for a Holley systemax II intake then, and expect to lose about 20 rwhp.
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Oh, and I probably should say this, the heads and intake will get ported and polished at some point. nothing too extreme though..... aw fuck it, ported and polished to an unreasonable amount. how much does that give?

--------------------
86 GT

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

already factored in my man [Bling Bling]

If you want more out of a NA 351 junkyard shortblock, (more than 400rwhp out of a carbed setup) you're going to have to step into the shortblock and start thinking about 13:1 compression and all the tricks that the racers do when they set up a shortblock, junkyard parts and stock pistons need not apply [Worship]

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just curious.....are you putting this engine in your 94 cobra?
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

yes

--------------------
86 GT

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

This wont be N/A for very long. hehehehe

--------------------
86 GT

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
13:1 compression bro? Of course that's good...but this is a daily driver...and we can't exactly go to the airport to fill up around here. David, they are all making very good suggestions...but seriously that first combo is not the winner you are looking for. Come to my house and I'll draw out a good combo for your ride...oh and the nitrous thing...that's my specialty for designs...talk to me.

Jack

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

what ttime do you want me to stop by?

--------------------
86 GT

VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
David,
when you figure out a combo that you think you're going to keep then come talk to me. I'm curious what these people are going to talk you into. Sound as if your ready to actually go through with this so if I can re-suggest buy a nicely pre-assembled short-block and go with a TrickFlow combo. The only other head I would buy is AFR.
Hey do you still want that Pro-M meter? Call me....

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Trickflow heads (unported) are great on a 302. Not so great on a 351.
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Hey Erik, i lost your number9 along with everyone else's) when i went snowboarding. so could you post it again?

--------------------
86 GT

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would like to show all of you except the COUG the motor dyno sheets from a local cat around here and his 357 with AFR 205s on it.

The motor makes 560hp on pump gas with 10.5 to one and a non solid roller cam.

That is a running mofo with an OUT OF THE BOX AFR and and OFF the SHELF cam.

Port matched intake and 2 inch primary headers.

Rebello built and dynoed the motor

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

would you fill me in on the specifics of this motor please

--------------------
86 GT

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK....TALK SHIT YOU GUYS BUT THIS WOULD BE HEALTHY...

X-CAM
PERFORMER RPM HEADS AND INTAKE

Readily accesable parts with a strongly matched combo (if you don't believe me check the eldebrock site). I know it's a good 302 pacakge...but he is looking for a streetable 351, that at least looks somehwat smogable. Somewhat I said....

jack

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by the50ho:
OK....TALK SHIT YOU GUYS BUT THIS WOULD BE HEALTHY...

X-CAM
PERFORMER RPM HEADS AND INTAKE

Sounds like a solid 285 RWHP combo, weather its on a 302 or 351. JMHO.

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

This is for everyone that is curious about why i am building a 351. I decided on the 351 because it is a very strong motor and when built correctly, is damn near indestructable. So I can sustain a decent amount of boost with out worring about anythig on the internals. Also, if I decide to get wild with this motor later down the road (396... ). I know i could spend the same on a 302 and make it wild. But, with a 351, the options for insane horsepower in the later future are damn near endless. Just thought i would clear things up for all that was confused.

--------------------
86 GT

OutlawZ
The OutlawZ
Member # 24

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OutlawZ  Ford pictures for OutlawZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
now that sounds like a nasty combo for that maro, id love to hear how much you spent on that, im lookin at maybe gettin into a maro like that, who knows

Yeah it's a pretty nasty combo for a non stroker motor... It'll make damn near the torque and horsepower like a 383 without the extra $$$ of a stroker crank... Umm I can run down the costs of it a little bit to include machine shop work... It's looking like damn near 5K not including the exhaust and stuff.....

Here's a rundown of the major stuff
SRP forged pistons and JE rings-$500
Eagle H-beam rods-$450
Top end package from IRS that included stage II heads/manifold, custom ground cam, ARP head bolts, top end gasket set $2900
Used LT1 block-$250
Machine work to block-Hot tanking, competition bore and hone with torque plates, squaring, decking block, new freeze plugs, cam bearings... $260
Balancing/blueprinting-$175
File fitting rings-$80
Complete assembly of long block to include degreeing cam, checking deck height, piston to valve clearance, pushrod length, etc... $640

Extra stuff I bought just because more power and RPM capability of the new motor warranted it:
Headers-360
4" Mufflex-525
Comp Cams R series lifters-200

There might be some odds and ends I forgot but this comes to a grand total of $5255 without the extras above.... After all is said and done I'm looking at close to 6500-7000 to include all the odds and ends I'll need....

--------------------
1995 OutlawZ28
Old motor-355 ci LT1 10.40@131
New motor-CSM Race Engines solid roller 383 LT1....
Cali's fastest LT1-period....

Posts: 486 | From: Fairfizzle, CA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
OutlawZ
The OutlawZ
Member # 24

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for OutlawZ  Ford pictures for OutlawZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I like this quote by a wise man..... "Put 302 parts on a 351w if you want 302 horsepower from a 351w

Heh Heh Heh... No comment...
LMFAO!!!!

Another wiseman once said "A pat on the back is only 1 foot from a kick in the ass"

quote:
This is for everyone that is curious about why i am building a 351. I decided on the 351 because it is a very strong motor and when built correctly, is damn near indestructable. So I can sustain a decent amount of boost with out worring about anythig on the internals. Also, if I decide to get wild with this motor later down the road

The only question I have about this is why not just go with one of the very popular crate motors made by every ford dealer and their grandmother like DSS and many others.. You can get an indestructible 347 that will handle all the boost you can throw at it... If you want to talk about the problems of going 351 you need only to look as far as F8LPony on Norcal-LS1 (he posts on here every so often also).... GOod friend of mine with a 351 in his blown 88 GT.... Thing still doesn't run due to tuning issues that have plagued him for years!!!! Sawson is helping him but swapping to a 351 is by no means just drop and go. I think you'd have an easier time with a 302 stroked to 331 or 347..... I mean are you REALLY going to go beyond the power levels that a built 347 can produce? Like say greater than 1000hp?????

--------------------
1995 OutlawZ28
Old motor-355 ci LT1 10.40@131
New motor-CSM Race Engines solid roller 383 LT1....
Cali's fastest LT1-period....

Posts: 486 | From: Fairfizzle, CA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  :
THE COUG
¯
Member # 743

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE COUG  Ford pictures for THE COUG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Starkey why not show me I could just call up Ricky and ask him about it if I gave a shit but why say " I would like to show everyone but the coug about this motor " What gives man???

--------------------
Racing on fly paper is for pussies

PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LOL

Because I was sure you already knew about it man.

LOL

Not to mention that Im sure your motor stomps it.

Thats what give my man.

Take care John.

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

yellow67stang
¯
Member # 903

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for yellow67stang  Ford pictures for yellow67stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want real power why don't you ask a professional what you should do instead of asking a bunch of people's opinion's of what you should or should not do! I can refer you to a couple of machine shops that are up to the task. Or, you can buy a crate motor from many companies that build good 351w based motors. If you want to go the "cheap"(its never really cheap!) way than find a good early 351w block and put a big cam in it a set of Dart SR heads and a decent amount of compression and a good transmission and convertor with a brake or a stout 5-speed and go racing! And get some 3.73's or 4.10's and that should make for some fun! I have a really nice set of Ross pistons for a 408 that I can let go for a really good price if you want to start building a killer 351w(408) engine!

Eric

--------------------
I like cars.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com