Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Drag Racing   » FINALLY out of the 12s!!! (new backfire video) (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: FINALLY out of the 12s!!! (new backfire video)
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well tonight was an interesting night...Eric (66 AC Cobra) towed me up to the track, Thanks Eric.

We were gonna run the car on the 150 shot for the first time out but we forgot to bring the timing gun to back some timing off. So we left it at 10 along with the advance on the chip and used the 100hp jets instead. I mixed some 110 in with my 91 octane to average right around 100 octane. By the end of the night we realized that my 26" tires were too small and I was running out of gear by the line. I think that's why the mph is sooo low.

The first pass on the nitrous I did the following:

60' - 1.86
1/8th mile - 7.68 @92.62
1/4 mile - 11.90 @115.17

The second run was the best and I was really happy with it:

60' - 1.08 (the 60' light was all screwed up)
1/8th mile - 6.81 @92.92
1/4 mile - 11.06 @116.78

The third run went like this:

60' - 1.57
1/8th mile - 7.37 @92.52
1/4 mile - 11.62 @114.50

After that I had a nitrous backfire that ballooned my K&N Filter and blew my C&L inlet tube off.

My best time was kind a wierd cause of the low 60' but when you look at all the other times it seems to be right as the 1/8 mile times all are 6/10ths and 3/10ths apart respectively... We even checked with the time clock guys and they said the 1/4' mph and ets were accurate tonight. They said something could have blown by the 60' light just before I crossed it... [Roll Eyes]

Here are my timeslips:

-

-

-

jacked up 11.06 run

[ June 13, 2005, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: twstd5o ]

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey bro...you did not run an 11.0. As you can see from the time slip, you are at least a half a second off on your sixty foot and stayed a half a second off the pace on the whole run. Your mph at half track was always 92mph. The only thing that change between your first and third pass was that you hooked a lot better going from a 1.86 to a 1.57....the .29 better in the sixty gave you .28 at the end. Normally, when you get a better sixty foot it will increase the margin of how much you improve at the end. However, your mph was down on your third run, which could equate to how you were driving/shifting or how the car was running, etc.

As you can see from the 11.0 pass, your mph was par at half track and at the end. The sixty foot light was probably working just fine. It looks like the light that is triggered when your car launched was not working accurately and was triggered by your back tires instead of the front tires. I've seen this wayyyyyyyyyy to many times. I've also had it happen myself.

--------------------
'88 Mustang Coupe: 8.02 @ 170

Posts: 3887 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Congrats on 11's! [burnout]

Solo's got it right. Your back tires tripped the lights, hense your 1.08 60ft. You 1/8th mile MPH would need to be around 100 or better to run 11.0's.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
Congrats on 11's! [burnout]

Solo's got it right. Your back tires tripped the lights, hense your 1.08 60ft. You 1/8th mile MPH would need to be around 100 or better to run 11.0's.

I just pulled my time slips for my 10.90 passes back in my maroon car. I was at a 99mph at 1/8th mile. Now, I can understand a 'lighter' car having less mph than a heavy car running the same ETs...however, no ones cars are as light as mine...lol (family excluded [Razz] )

Also, checked my 9.56/9.60 passes and my 330 foots were 4.0. I am pretty confident that I would be more than a tenth ahead of this car considering I sixtied in the 1.3s on both passes [Wink]

Now if I had to guess, I would say that John91Coupe would most likely be in the 4.1 range on his 330 foots because his car is much heavier than mine. However, his car takes charge in the top end with his 150 mph making him make up ost ground from the front half of the track. And I am very confident that John91Coupe would be ahead of this car at the 330 foot [Wink]

--------------------

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My rear tires tripped the lights??? That's weird. Oh well, there go all my hopes and dreams....crushed...j/k [patriot]

--------------------

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by twstd5o:
My rear tires tripped the lights??? That's weird. Oh well, there go all my hopes and dreams....crushed...j/k [patriot]

heres the interesting part

on the 11.6 run, he wasnt paying attention on the 2-3 shift and revved it to 7k instead of a normal 6300 or so, the car he was racing gained about 3 car lengths on him when this happened, so its not an 11.0 but it should go faster than 11.6

with a few more runs and the 150, i think a 10.99 is possible, oh and a 28" tire [Big Grin]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Not to mention that on the screwed 11.0 run the mph was 2.28 mph faster then the 11.6 run. If I tripped the lights accurately on the 116 mph run I wonder if the ET could have been 11.4 or better?

How much higher could my 1/8 and 1/4 mile mph have been with a 28' tire?

[ June 11, 2005, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: twstd5o ]

--------------------

Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

quote:
Not to mention that on the screwed 11.0 run the mph was 2.28 mph faster then the 11.6 run. If I tripped the lights accurately on the 116 mph run I wonder if the ET could have been 11.4 or better?

How much higher could my 1/8 and 1/4 mile mph have been with a 28' tire?

With your car, it seems like the tune was 'consistent' meaning that the main thing that would change your time is shifting and getting that thing to hook out of the hole. It may have been better than 11.6 if it hooked harder and had a better sixty than the 11.6. I would guess an low 11.50 high 11.40 is reasonable with your current setup. I would be very surprised if you got that car to go a ten with only a 50 hp shot more and a taller tire. But hey...never know...anything is possible [patriot]

Congrats again on getting your 11 second time slips. And too bad the fictitious time slip couldnt at least have shown you a 10...sheesh [Razz]

--------------------

Spellbound
¯
Member # 1553

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbound  Ford pictures for Spellbound    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My girl friend raced her car last night and had a wierd time slip. She was running 12.1's @ 113 most of the night and one run everything was consistant all the way up to the 1000ft mark, but her mph was down to 108, at the end, but her ET was still a 12.1??? She said it pulled all the way thru the traps. To lose that much MPH, wouldn't the car feel like it fell flat on its face?

--------------------
Duane
2K1 WS6
2K2 ZO6

Posts: 36 | From: Diamond Springs | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

At least I have a video to show an 11 flat pass even though it isn't valid... [Razz]

Thanks guys

--------------------

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
don't talk about a Video post it [Big Grin] good job on hitting the 11's glad to see you got some good 60 foot times out of your MT radials.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Thanks...the video is at the bottom of my first post... [patriot]

Let me know what you think!!

--------------------

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I could never get it to play [Frown]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Hmmm....it works for me. I tried it at my parents house too. It may just take a while to load. I think it's like 18megs...

Lemme try it again:

11.06 run...look how far up I am

[ June 12, 2005, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: twstd5o ]

--------------------

Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

This pass reminds me of a bet I had back in the day. A homie of mine told me I couldn't run an 11 on the motor in my old maroon car. I ran 12.00000000000000000000 many many many times. I decided this time its on. I did a burnout and went past the starting line (intentionally). For those that have done a burnout past the starting line understand that when you backup, you will trip the staging lights twice...back tires first then front tires. Well, to guarantee this 11 second pass, I only backed up and tripped the staging lights once. I literally lined up on the rear tires. Sure enough...I ran an 11.80 on the motor [Whoo Whooooo!] [patriot]

--------------------

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

You know what...I actually inched through the lights on accident and had to back up a bit. I was so anxious to run I was over excited a bit. That must have been why the 60' was how it was...Eric and I were thinking I set a DR world record for a second there... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Whoo Whooooo!]

[ June 11, 2005, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: twstd5o ]

--------------------

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
By the end of the night we realized that my 26" tires were too small and I was running out of gear by the line. I think that's why the mph is sooo low.

what gears do you have??? what were you shifting at???

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mustanggt5091:
quote:
By the end of the night we realized that my 26" tires were too small and I was running out of gear by the line. I think that's why the mph is sooo low.

what gears do you have??? what were you shifting at???
4.10's, shifting around 6300, hes on a 275/50 mt radial, basically a 26x10

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
congrats twisted50. I too finally broke into the 11's. 11.97 @ 116mph. I think my driving sucks, and having full interior doesn't help.

[ June 11, 2005, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: Glenn ]

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
eljefe
¯
Member # 1753

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eljefe  Ford pictures for eljefe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
good shit on the 11's bro! but you didnt run an 11.0. notice you don't even have a reaction time? you probly jumped the lights right before they counted down, hence the rear wheel start and pro stock 60' time.
the other times stand corect tho [patriot]

--------------------
1969 mustang coupe - the project
1996 mystic cobra - 13.64@105 - sold :(
2007 yaris - daily driver

Posts: 737 | From: holiday in rancho cambodia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Thanks guys...

There were a couple times where my timeslips had no times on them at all...no reaction, 60', 330, 880, nothing. Weird.

Where were the regular TnT crew that works the track? The slip were a mess. They were scattered all over the table.

--------------------

Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

quote:
Thanks guys...

There were a couple times where my timeslips had no times on them at all...no reaction, 60', 330, 880, nothing. Weird.

Where were the regular TnT crew that works the track? The slip were a mess. They were scattered all over the table.

regular? Man, I haven't seen the same 2 people working there in a long tim EXCEPT FOR ELJEFE!!!! I remember Sac about 5 years ago. Dave Jr. running the tree, Mary running the lanes, and Lonnie running tech.

Check this out...last grudge night I'm sitting at the front of one of the lanes. I'm being patient cuz I am letting my car cool down from the last run. The guy pulling the lanes comes up to me and said 'what are you waiting for?' I point to him and said 'YOU'. He said 'Oh go when you are ready, I was waiting for you'...WTF [Mad] [Big Grin]

[ June 12, 2005, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: Team SOLO ]

--------------------

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Congrats on the 11's Tony!

Also, congrats to Glenn for getting into the 11's!

With my car getting slower and yours getting faster, you guys will be beating me up in no time. [Frown] [burnout]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Congrats Glenn...

quote:
With my car getting slower and yours getting faster, you guys will be beating me up in no time.
Beating you up??? Highly unlikely [Big Grin] I think we'll be chasing you for quite some time. [burnout]

--------------------

Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Congrats Glenn...

quote:
With my car getting slower and yours getting faster, you guys will be beating me up in no time.
Beating you up??? Highly unlikely [Big Grin] I think we'll be chasing you for quite some time. [burnout]
Well currently my car is minus 1 clutch, 1 tranny, and one set of headers. So I don't think you would have much a problem leaving me at the starting line [Wink]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com