Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Looong shot....looking for my old 5.0 92 LX Hatch, 5 spd ...UPDATE: Found it! (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Looong shot....looking for my old 5.0 92 LX Hatch, 5 spd ...UPDATE: Found it!
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
Nice, keep up the work! I like seeing cars getting stripped down and built back up.

+1. Nice video. You got your gloves on while your wifey just jumps right in bare handed. Sweet! [patriot]
the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the walrus  Ford pictures for the walrus    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ha ha true! She's a trooper. [Smile]

--------------------
1992 LX Hatch 13.9@99, sold and bought back after 11 years and restored.
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)
Moved from Sac, CA to SLC, UT

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any updates?

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the walrus  Ford pictures for the walrus    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am just getting started on body work at this point, still getting the final tools and supplies together, as well as working up the courage to attempt it myself. I did the body work on my FFR Cobra years ago but that was fiberglass, no dents to deal with. Never done a steel car before. I had my neighbor (a body and paint guy) come over and give me some direction, now I just need to get going.

I will be sure to post some progress pics. [patriot]

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Stripping paint off the fender, partial timelapse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykygHKAHx0g

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Using a stud welder and slide hammer to pull out the dented cowl. [patriot]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEUkvUOMIIk&t=

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
coming along nicely !!! keep up the great work

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Cowl hood fitted. Working on panel gaps.

-

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

Black 02 SS
¯
Member # 5939

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Black 02 SS  Ford pictures for Black 02 SS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any updates from the past month?

--------------------
Schwinn 18speed

the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Sorry guys I broke my hand and didn't touch it for about 5 weeks. I have the cast off now and have started to work on it again. Still in the middle of body work at this point. Hope to have it in primer and have the motor pulled in the next few weeks.

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Finally got an update. Got the dented cowl and roof pulled, filled, blocked and into primer. It was dented up pretty bad from the hood flying up on the previous owner. Turned out ok for a first timer with no clue lol.

Next step is to get the rest of the car addressed as far as body work and get the whole thing into primer.

-

-

-

-

-

-

[ 2019-07-22, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: the walrus ]

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LOOKING GOOD!

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks great!

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hell yeah!

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Thanks guys, I'll keep at it. [patriot]

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Engine is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6oWwv7ihm4

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Making some progress. After pulling the engine we removed the wiring and dash, pressure washed the engine bay, then removed everything else on the front end. 27 years of oil and grease had to be cleaned up. Welded up some steel plate for the clutch cable entrance that was cracked and partly missing. It's very solid now. Also removed the rear end and fuel tank to get that all cleaned up. Scraped and pressure washed the underside of the car as well. A prior failed pinion seal had made quite a mess back there.

At this point the engine bay is in primer. Need to finish up the rest of the body work (bumpers, block the hood, address some dings) and get the whole car in primer and blocked. Hoping to have it in paint in the next few weeks before the weather cools down too much.

Once it is painted, the rest is just cleaning up/purchasing parts and re-assembly.

-

-

Missing bits of the firewall from PO using the wrong bell housing and clutch fork. Way too much pressure here.
 -

Bought the world's smallest welder and got some work done
 -

-

Not pretty but solid. The rough areas that you can see are seam sealer.
 -

K-member out
 -

Cleaned, primed and slid back under the car
 -

Engine bay primed
 -

-
Fuel tank and rear end pressure washed
 -

-

This was nasty before! Hasn't been this clean since 1992.
 -

Garage buddy, one of many helpers in my house.
 -

Won't be long 'til paint. More to come.

[ 2019-09-08, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: the walrus ]

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Great progress. What color are you thinking to paint it?
the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Thanks. It will be Oxford White which is the original color. It will also get all new interior in Titanium Gray. [patriot]

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by the walrus:
Thanks. It will be Oxford White which is the original color. It will also get all new interior in Titanium Gray. [patriot]

Loving the updates. Great work BTW. Can’t wait to see continued progress [patriot]

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Amazing work! [worship]
9cobrasnake9
CAFords OG
Member # 575

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobrasnake9  Ford pictures for 9cobrasnake9  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks great!! Keep the updates coming!

--------------------
96 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how blasted with grease and mud did you get from pressure washing the underside of the body? lol!

I have a pinion leak right now and can only imagine how crazy it would be to pressure wash under there right now.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
how blasted with grease and mud did you get from pressure washing the underside of the body? lol!

I have a pinion leak right now and can only imagine how crazy it would be to pressure wash under there right now.

LOL...it was nasty to say the least. In the rear end area it was so thick that we used a plastic scraper to get most of it off first and then hit it with degreaser and the pressure washer. Amazing what 3100psi can do. Definitely had to do some laundry after though.

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

I bought all of the paint for the car and got a few more parts in primer (front and rear bumper covers and the spoiler.) The rear bumper cover didn't need much work but the front took some time. It is original to the car, still has the VIN sticker, and as far as I can gather has about 348,000 miles on it. It had several chips, scrapes and gouges, and had been rattle canned black and white at some point. I spent the better part of Saturday cleaning, filling, sanding, trying to repair it as best I could. Still not perfect but looking much better now in primer. Inching closer to paint...

This is from a few months ago before tear down began. Lots of rattle can on the front of the car.
 -

After several hours...
 -

Looking better. Need to address a few things and block it before paint.
 -

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

Page: 1  2  3  4  5   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com