Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Looong shot....looking for my old 5.0 92 LX Hatch, 5 spd ...UPDATE: Found it! (Page 4)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Looong shot....looking for my old 5.0 92 LX Hatch, 5 spd ...UPDATE: Found it!
the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the walrus  Ford pictures for the walrus    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok my turn...WE GOT PAINT!

I tried my best with what I had. The base went down perfect which I was really happy about. The clear...not so much. Hopefully I will be able to cut and buff out the imperfections. If I really need to I can take it to a real paint booth and have a pro lay down a few coats of clear for me. So I still have some options to get the clear looking better. Anyway, nice to be done with bodywork and to be close on the paint. Will be ordering brakes and suspension soon.

-

-

-

-

[ 2019-09-27, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: the walrus ]

--------------------
1992 LX Hatch 13.9@99, sold and bought back after 11 years and restored.
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)
Moved from Sac, CA to SLC, UT

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[worship]
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Marks93:
[worship]

+1
the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the walrus  Ford pictures for the walrus    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ha ha thanks guys. Can't wait to start reassembly.

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks great bud!!

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It’s definitely coming along! Cars looking really good so far

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Thank goodness for cut and buff! As stated previously, much of the clear didn't go down so well due mostly to lack of skill, insufficient CFM, spraying in a garage, phase of the moon, etc....

Luckily wetsanding and polishing works and it looks like I will be able to salvage the paint job.

I loosely mounted up the hood and bumpers so they were out of the way and didn't get knocked over in the garage. Nice to have the area cleaned up a bit after being in full body shop mode. I'll deal with panel gaps when I'm ready to bolt things on for good.
 -

So yeah...some of the clear not looking too hot. See list of excuses above... [Razz]
 -

After wetsanding and polishing. Now this I can live with, even if it is a bit wavy in places.
 -

50/50 shot, fender to hood
 -

For those wondering, I am doing 1500 grit wet, 2000 grit wet, 3000 grit wet, then polishing compound on a foam pad with a rotary polisher, followed by swirl remover on a lighter foam pad. At this point the plan is to go panel by panel and try to get the whole car looking good in clear.

Justin

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looks good to me... what clear did you end up going with? i can never get a perfect glass finish, i always have to cut and buff. So i usually put down 4 coats of clear

--------------------
"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction that I can keep, and if I do begin to slide, please dear God protect me and my ride!"

the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

quote:
Originally posted by 68dustin:
looks good to me... what clear did you end up going with? i can never get a perfect glass finish, i always have to cut and buff. So i usually put down 4 coats of clear

Thanks. I used True 7400v. Probably a good enough product if I were set up better to spray it.

What gun and compressor do you use?

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

quote:
Originally posted by the walrus:
quote:

Thanks. I used True 7400v. Probably a good enough product if I were set up better to spray it.

What gun and compressor do you use?

I use a cheap gun (Tcp Global) and a 5hp/30gal craftsman 240v compressor. Setting up the gun takes a bit of practice. One day i'll buy an expensive gun, most the time the paint looks like glass for the first day then shrinks (orange peel). I think a lot has to do with it's still just a garage paint job. But i've seen my 600$ paint job look better than most $6k jobs.

--------------------

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

I did this re-paint one month after the cougar. Not bad for 600 bucks. This is my brothers car..
 -

--------------------

the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

quote:
[QB] I did this re-paint one month after the cougar. Not bad for 600 bucks. This is my brothers car..

Man that looks amazing. Next time I'll have to fly you out to my house to put down the base and clear. [patriot]

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fortunately, white is very forgiving. Either way, you're doing a great job and love to see the updates that you are providing us. I love it even more that you are conquering everything on your own [worship]

Awesome job [patriot]

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Still at it. I had a mobile painter come out and do a bit of a re-spray focusing mostly on the top of the car where I had a bunch of fisheyes that I had to sand down. He got that part of it looking better. I then spent about 20 hours over two days wet sanding and polishing to cut down some of the orange peel, etc. Darn near sanded my fingerprints off! Still need to do a final polish but I will likely wait for warmer weather to do that. Painted and attached the side moldings and front spats. Cleaned and painted the rear end, front control arms and spindles.

Starting some re-assembly now. I went with Power Stop 13 inch brakes for a 2003 Cobra since I already had SN95 spindles. I also ordered some Cobra decals from ebay. They're a little cheesy but whatever, the powder coating on the calipers looks great and it's a nice functional upgrade over stock. Using KYB shocks and struts, Eibach springs, and UPR rear control arms. Got a bunch of stuff from Prothane for the front as well. I painted one wheel a gunmetal color as a test. I think we'll run that for a while.

The rear end will get new axle bearings and seals and I installed new Ford bushings as well.

Starting to come together a bit. I am hoping to have the car back on 4 wheels by the end of the week. [Smile]

-

-

-

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Still working on the car and slowly making progress. The garage isn’t quite as inviting during winter but I have a small heater that helps a bit. At this point the suspension is done, wheels are on, fuel tank is in, and much of the engine bay is in place. I will have engine bay wiring done soon and dash wiring soon after that.

I figured out that the engine that came with the car is a 1989 block so it has forged pistons. I will do new bearings, rings, gaskets, and get it cleaned up and painted. Then I‘ll move over the timing cover and accessories from the 93 engine, while adding the 130amp alternator. With a fresh rebuild and the basic HCI upgrades it should be a nice runner.

I found a NOS heater core for sale locally and it sure was easy to install with the HVAC unit on a table. 😉 Still need to make some brackets for the G37S seats but now that I know the seats fit in the car, the brackets shouldn’t be too complicated.

My goal is to have the engine done and installed in the next few weeks. I want to be cruising this summer. 😊

I made a couple of quick update videos. Just remember what we started with!

Part 12
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wviJQemQQMU

Part 13
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u29PiIbHJP0

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

i
¯
Member # 12534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for i  Ford pictures for i    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You have done more work in a couple of months than I did in 6 years of my coupe. Bodywork is one of those things i really don’t find fun at all. Congrats, on the progress I don’t know how people can do body work all day nothing but dust all over the place and body filler/primer/pudding glaze etc.

P.S Just did 3 hours of bodywork because of your build.

--------------------
86 Caged Coupe 5.0
91 Salvaged Coupe

Posts: 1901 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2012  |  :
fiftwyz
¯
Member # 8351

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fiftwyz  Ford pictures for fiftwyz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looks good bud!!!
the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Thanks guys. Can't wait to get the motor together and dropped into the car! [patriot]

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That car looks hella good. Pays off having ocd huh

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

Marks93
¯
Member # 11130

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marks93  Ford pictures for Marks93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
That car looks hella good. Pays off having ocd huh

LMAO!!

That looks awesome. Very nice work. [worship]

the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Ha ha thanks. Still at it, little by little. I want to be cruising this summer!

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

Engine is done! Will be installing next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkdQLv2aNuM&

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

quote:
Originally posted by the walrus:
Engine is done! Will be installing next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkdQLv2aNuM&

Hell yeah! Looks super clean. I’m itching to see that thing in action.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1964 Impala hard top

97cobra209
¯
Member # 11376

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 97cobra209  Ford pictures for 97cobra209    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking good. I found it easier to drop motor in with clutch and all install then raise the T5 into place. I too was working alone on my swap so it just felt easy that way.

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0

the walrus
¯
Member # 6010

quote:
Originally posted by 97cobra209:
Looking good. I found it easier to drop motor in with clutch and all install then raise the T5 into place. I too was working alone on my swap so it just felt easy that way.

Thanks for the tip. That's exactly what we ended up doing last night. Bolted on the FW, clutch assy and bellhousing and dropped it all in from the front of the car. Went in nice and easy without having to fight the tranny. Will bolt up the trans and driveshaft tonight.

--------------------
1965 FFR Cobra (sold)
2003 Mach 1 (sold)

Page: 1  2  3  4  5   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com