Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Don't Use Trick Flow Gaskets! (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Don't Use Trick Flow Gaskets!
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FivePTSlow:
quote:
Originally posted by hurting your feelings:
Experience goes along way.

Yes it does. I've been working on Fox's since 2003. I've worked on cars/small engines since I was a kid. I rebuilt my first motor(Briggs & Stratton) by myself at 12 years old. My dad is a car guy as well. I rebuilt my first car engine by myself at 20 years old(2.0 sohc dodge) I have personally owned an 1987 GT T-Top, 1988 GT Convertible, 1989 Coupe, 1991 GT, Two 92 Coupes, & my current 93 Coupe. All of which were bought stock, or close it, then built by myself.

I worked at Mustang of Elk Grove for two years, brought on specifically to rebuild oem engines. This shop primarily worked on EFI Fox's. Routinely did gear swaps, transmission swaps, intake manifold swaps, engine rebuilds, and anything else you would want to do to a Fox.

By no means am I a guru, but a lower intake manifold install I can handle. Especially considering it was done on an engine stand before the motor was dropped in the car.

Only a weekend hobbyist would use clear rtv.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes it does. I've been working on Fox's since 2003. I've worked on cars/small engines since I was a kid. I rebuilt my first motor(Briggs & Stratton) by myself at 12 years old. My dad is a car guy as well. I rebuilt my first car engine by myself at 20 years old(2.0 sohc dodge) I have personally owned an 1987 GT T-Top, 1988 GT Convertible, 1989 Coupe, 1991 GT, Two 92 Coupes, & my current 93 Coupe. All of which were bought stock, or close it, then built by myself.

I worked at Mustang of Elk Grove for two years, brought on specifically to rebuild oem engines. This shop primarily worked on EFI Fox's. Routinely did gear swaps, transmission swaps, intake manifold swaps, engine rebuilds, and anything else you would want to do to a Fox.

By no means am I a guru, but a lower intake manifold install I can handle. Especially considering it was done on an engine stand before the motor was dropped in the car.

If this were the case then I'm sure trick flow would know about it, possibly summit as well. I have used clear rtv for many gaskets over the years, if this is the cause of the gasket failure it will be a first.

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pretty bad when you manage to screw up every gasket on the engine.

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Who calls trickflow to tell them every gasket failed lol. I could imagine what they were thinking.

--------------------
The anti-crew

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurting your feelings  Ford pictures for hurting your feelings    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

If this were the case then I'm sure trick flow would know about it, possibly summit as well. I have used clear rtv for many gaskets over the years, if this is the cause of the gasket failure it will be a first.
Let just say this no manufacturer use clear rtv period.
Posts: 1830 | From: In front of the bank with a 45 an a ski mask | Registered: Jun 2014  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sic70stang:
Pretty bad when you manage to screw up every gasket on the engine. [/QUOTES

What do you expect he went to home depot an got clear caulking an a husky tool kit.

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

What do you expect he went to home depot an got clear caulking an a husky tool kit.

Now you're just trolling.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
quote:

[B][/B]

You got it I told you what you did wrong but you refuse to listen.

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
quote:
quote:

[B][/B]

You got it I told you what you did wrong but you refuse to listen.

I listen just fine. I installed the gaskets the same way Ive always installed these gaskets. These failed, not a single other gasket set I have installed have failed. I have used clear silicone on the felpro gaskets you get from autozone without fail. If they failed as a result of the clear silicone(bought from autozone) then I would say they are made of inferior materials. The cork sections of the gasket also had clear silicone on them, they were in tact & in great shape.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Rookie move no one use the cork gaskets on the valley you just need a nice bead of rtv.an those gaskets with the rubber o-ring are not made to be used with rtv.
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Rookie move no one use the cork gaskets on the valley you just need a nice bead of rtv.an those gaskets with the rubber o-ring are not made to be used with rtv.

Ive used cork, rtv only, & the rubber fel pro gaskets at the front & back, no failures with any of them. Not even trick flow knew the answer to whether clear silicone coukd be used with the fel pro gaskets included in theur kit, so it's fair to say this is not common knowledge. Trick flow tw heads install instructions say to use silicone on the water jacket areas of the gasket. It does not say which type of rtv to use, or not to use.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Look at this way how does come out of the factory. There is no rtv on the water jackets an the don't use cork gaskets. The only place you see rtv is on the corners were metal meets the metal.
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Look at this way how does come out of the factory. There is no rtv on the water jackets an the don't use cork gaskets. The only place you see rtv is on the corners were metal meets the metal.

Look at it this way. I followed the instructions that came from the manufacturer to the letter. The gaskets failed. The gaskets are low quality. I would venture to say I have installed more than 25 intake manifolds on Fox's. In fact I just spoke with my buddy/old neighbor Carlos. I installed his cobra intake manifold 4 years ago, with autozone fel pro gaskets, no problems. This has not happened a single time previously.

-

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

Do what you want man you know more then everyone else.
sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

-

--------------------
The anti-crew

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:

So, just to make sure I understand your point of view.

If someone follows instructions, and the part fails anyway, it's their fault?
Without any doubt I showed you that I installed this per manufacturer instructions.

And yes I always read instructions, a little refresher never hurt anyone. This also covers you incase procedures have been updated/changed.

I never claimed to know more than anyone. My only claim here is that I installed the gaskets/manifold correctly, & they failed.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
quote:

So, just to make sure I understand your point of view.

If someone follows instructions, and the part fails anyway, it's their fault?
Without any doubt I showed you that I installed this per manufacturer instructions.

And yes I always read instructions, a little refresher never hurt anyone. This also covers you incase procedures have been updated/changed.

I never claimed to know more than anyone. My only claim here is that I installed the gaskets/manifold correctly, & they failed.

I follow the way ford wants it done but that's the great thing about being trained by dealerships you learn common sense an not to follow aftermarket manuals.
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

I'm sure the amount of dealer trained mechanics on here is likely a very small percentage. I'm sure Holley & Trick Flow have no clue what they're talking about [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I take my earlier statement back. I have had a set of these do the same thing. just on teh water ports. but i have seen countless other intake gaskets of other designs do similiar things. most of teh time it is installer error. maybe mine was. but that link saleen posted earlier with aLL THE OTHER GUYS having those problems, made me remember when i found my gaskets doing that, they felt like cheap paper really, i ended up running a stock gasket with steel inner lining an just ported it to my shape i needed. yeah that style gasket sucks. its felpro through, not trick flow. rear seal an what else u said is def installer error,,,, lol jk who knows for sure.
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You still wrench on stuff Dave?

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

quote:
Originally posted by 135.0:
You still wrench on stuff Dave?

Went back to Volkswagen dealership in may I was bored at home.retirement was cool but I like to work an get out of the house.
phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can't believe you're still posting here and feeding these trolls. The one dude gets butthurt because you're not paying him enough attention so he calls you names and makes fun of you. Isn't this the guy who's been banned a few times before for acting like a child on here?

Go to a real forum where you might get some help rather than people shitting up your thread. Or, post up on cafords 10-15yrs ago and get all the help in the world.

Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
hurting your feelings
¯
Member # 13641

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/adhesives-sealants/sealants/permatex--clear-rtv-silicone-adhesive-sealant-detail

^^^^link for clear rtv^^^^

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/gasketing/gasket-makers/permatex-ultra-black-maximum-oil-resistance-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-detail

^^^^link for black rtv^^^^

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/adhesives-sealants/sealants/permatex--clear-rtv-silicone-adhesive-sealant-detail

^^^^link for clear rtv^^^^

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/gasketing/gasket-makers/permatex-ultra-black-maximum-oil-resistance-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-detail

^^^^link for black rtv^^^^

That is not the brand I used, nice try though

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

quote:
Originally posted by phil a:
I can't believe you're still posting here and feeding these trolls. The one dude gets butthurt because you're not paying him enough attention so he calls you names and makes fun of you. Isn't this the guy who's been banned a few times before for acting like a child on here?

Go to a real forum where you might get some help rather than people shitting up your thread. Or, post up on cafords 10-15yrs ago and get all the help in the world.

He is not asking for help.

--------------------
The anti-crew

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com