Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » What is your idea of the perfect power level in a street driven Fox body? (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What is your idea of the perfect power level in a street driven Fox body?
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R:
To pretty much sum up the answer that Dustin is looking for, 400rw is already breaking tires loose in 1-3 gears. With stock suspension or mild setups. These people saying anywhere near 700?? Well that would require drag radials to be on your car all the time and tires get expensive! I wanna drive my car to the bay if I want and Reno or whatever. So street tires it is. I'm looking to stay between 450-500rw on my new setup and with the IRS and auto it should still hook up "OK" on street tires.

torque converters help a lot when putting down power...you'll be surprised how much that 450-500rw will surprise you

[ 2014-01-16, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: CornOil_&_Boost ]

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
My cobra put 750rw down and street tires could not hold any gear but 6th!

uuuuuuuuuuhhhhh...Really?

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Street. Tire.

Explain this.

Lol

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CornOil_&_Boost:
quote:

Not hatin but unless you got a vid you were probably smokin the clutch..Uncles cobra makes 680rw and plants hard in 3rd 9/10 times on Michelin 315s...never seen anycar under 800rw spin 5th but on BALD ass tires or in the rain [Wink] Jason ask Matt how's his Fox with rolls and tire spin?

[ 2014-01-16, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: SIC9250 ]

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
Originally posted by SIC9250:
quote:
quote:

Not hatin but unless you got a vid you were probably smokin the clutch..Uncles cobra makes 680rw and plants hard in 3rd 9/10 times on Michelin 315s...never seen anycar under 800rw spin 5th but on BALD ass tires or in the rain [Wink] Jason ask Matt how's his Fox with rolls and tire spin?
matt's car is ridiculous on radials but on good drag radials he can get steam going in 3rd...if it gets the tires hot enough...he can get 2nd gear moving.....only think I'm asking is when did Casey finish the tune in his car?...last he told us, it was having electrical issues and it got sold untuned...so 750RW..maybe a good estimate?

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think 400-450rwhp would good without being on drag radials and be able to drive it in the rain, that's what I am building right now.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
*BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R
¯
Member # 5400

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Ford pictures for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To answer Jason's question. No the tune was not done on my car when I had it because of spark blowout. A simple re gap on the plugs fixed that but the car was final tuned at RET and Greg got it to 753rwhp. No other changes were needed. Shaun did a good job on it. Was my fault on the plugs. I never took it back to him.

And I do have a video. It's in my phone. I will upload it if u want. Kinda hard to tell but with the 4.10s on street radials it would spin in 5th. It's called instant torque on a roots mount blower. I don't really care to argue. Just saying that I felt the car needed to drive on DR's to get any traction

The video is just of the cluster on the freeway and I punch it at 100mph and the car gets loose all over the freeway. I will ask my brother to send it to me. Not sure if I was in 5th but at 100mph none the less

[ 2014-01-16, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R ]

--------------------
88 notch- MM&FF June 2014 feature car
93 cobra #1879
90 hatch "Wifey's"
14 F150
89 mastercraft- wake tower with some sound

Team True Forged!!!

*BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R
¯
Member # 5400

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Ford pictures for *BlownMach1*- TRMYN8R  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SIC9250:
quote:
quote:

The IRS and 3.55s are the factor there. I was running a solid axle with road race control arms and 4.10s. And 335 Michelin's that were old but not bald

--------------------
88 notch- MM&FF June 2014 feature car
93 cobra #1879
90 hatch "Wifey's"
14 F150
89 mastercraft- wake tower with some sound

Team True Forged!!!

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Let's stay on topic fellas... This thread ain't about who's car is better, who's car made X amount of rwhp, starting pissing matches, & it's definitely NOT about my car... I was simply asking YOUR opinion on what YOU think is the perfect amount of power for a street driven Fox body! [patriot]

[ 2014-01-16, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: *EPIK* ]

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
Originally posted by *EPIK*:
Let's stay on topic fellas... This thread ain't about who's car is better, who's car made X amount of rwhp, starting pissing matches, & it's definitely NOT about my car... I was simply asking YOUR opinion on what YOU think is the perfect amount of power for a street driven Fox body! [patriot]

Your car will be the definition of an awesome DD for sure...when you get the AC back in it

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

redvenom
¯
Member # 12651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for redvenom  Ford pictures for redvenom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
500rwhp. Daily drive that bitch too. [patriot]

+1

--------------------
1990 Gt
Some what stock
1993 GT vert-(stolen)

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Personally I would like a high revving 306. 350rwhp. You won't have to worry about breaking parts and it would be a fun street car.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can't tell you how many times I've been at the gas station filling up my Mustang when someone checks out my car and tells me they've got some ridiculously powered car at home. I look over at their Honda and say, "sounds nice, too bad you can't enjoy it every day"

400rwhp would be just about perfect. My 351W doesn't make that much to the wheels, but it has a high, flat as Montana torque curve that begins almost instantly. Low end torque is what makes a fun street car, you don't have to wait until high rpm to get that press you into the seat kinda feel.

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My fox made just shy of 470 RWHP, drove to work every single day rain or shine. In the rain, unpredictable at best. On the street, 1st, 2nd, 3rd roast away with 275/40/18 KDW2's. 4th and 5th are when you plant.

In my opinion, it was kind of overkill. At 8 PSI, It made right around 400-410, and I loved it.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So are some of you saying that a Mustang GT500 or Super Snake (850+ flywheel) or Z06 or ZR1 is not a fun and usable street car? Or just that that much HP in a Fox body would not be fun and usable?

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
Originally posted by John91coupe:
So are some of you saying that a Mustang GT500 or Super Snake (850+ flywheel) or Z06 or ZR1 is not a fun and usable street car? Or just that that much HP in a Fox body would not be fun and usable?

it's useable in a fox with the right suspension setup...those multiple 7th street videos have a couple of 500rw+ foxes that seem to hook just fine...

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

it's useable in a fox with the right suspension setup...those multiple 7th street videos have a couple of 500rw+ foxes that seem to hook just fine...
That's kind of what I'm saying. Good suspension, some soft 325's and good driving. Lot's of fun and very usable. Even with 800 WHP.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
quote:
quote:

That's kind of what I'm saying. Good suspension, some soft 325's and good driving. Lot's of fun and very usable. Even with 800 WHP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNuk_UiE7O4

hmm 780Rw mustang...seems to hook fine at 55/60 mph....after some heat in the tires....

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, 800rwhp can be useable in a fox, but personally, I'm not trying to run a full drag suspension like Baseline or whatever & I'm not trying to drive around on tires that burn up after 5k miles...

My rear setup will be simple, & more street oriented. MM Extreme Duty adjustable LCA's, Steeda Boxed stock uppers, new OEM diff bushings (poly cause bind on the street), reinforced Tq boxes, MM full length subframe connectors, & probably a set of good 18" street drag radials for my 18X10's. This would never hold the power of a super high powered fox, but I think it should offer decent traction with a 400-500 rwhp setup.

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

hmm 780Rw mustang...seems to hook fine at 55/60 mph....after some heat in the tires....

Jason, your point is negated... 1st of all, I'm not talking about pulling over & doing burnouts to heat up the tires, I'm talking about a car where you can be rolling around & if you get the sudden urge to stab the throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear & get decent traction.

On top of that, the GT in this video weighs a good 500-700 lbs more than most foxes, & has a MUCH better factory suspension setup & chassis, of course it can lay down more useable HP on the street.

--------------------

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
Originally posted by *EPIK*:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Jason, your point is negated... 1st of all, I'm not talking about pulling over & doing burnouts to heat up the tires, I'm talking about a car where you can be rolling around & if you get the sudden urge to stab the throttle in 2nd or 3rd gear & get decent traction.

On top of that, the GT in this video weighs a good 500-700 lbs more than most foxes, & has a MUCH better factory suspension setup & chassis, of course it can lay down more useable HP on the street.

so a nice rolling burnout in a Fox will do the trick as well..

"MUCH better factory suspension setup & chassis"

wait so you're telling me you can't modify the suspenion and chassis on a fox?...

come on Dustin...face it...it has been proven time and time again...

"On top of that, the GT in this video weighs a good 500-700 lbs more than most foxes"

a 450Rw-600RW fox is not going to come within a city length of that 780RW GT...seems pretty useable to me...

I'm basing my argument on first person and video documented facts..you're basing yours on opinion....my point will never be negated...

here's 690RW on 18" bald DR's...this same setup walked a 650RW vette btw..

http://youtu.be/chww_1nBojs

40-140mph pass...NO heat in the tires and obviously babying the trans....yes this is me

[ 2014-01-17, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: CornOil_&_Boost ]

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmQCclu0zpQ

1200Rw...less than 2800

oh well..well..the chassis and suspenion have been modded right?...

NO SHIT!!!!

[ 2014-01-17, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: CornOil_&_Boost ]

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dustin. Build your car. Delete this thread lol

Build what YOU want, and what your budget can afford... simple.

I had a HCI blah blah blah fox and SN95 with what... 320rw?? And on street tires in 2nd it was questionable. Point being, from here on out the least your coupe should have on the rear is a NT555R...

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

SWITCH 625.0
¯
Member # 9322

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWITCH 625.0  Ford pictures for SWITCH 625.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Dustin, it's my 89 GT that you last saw at a late night meet at the Comcast in Natomas. Cab Red/Silver then, all Cabernet Red now. The engine is a 331 forged H beam Eagle kit,early block, link bar Crower rollers, Ed Curtis cam,185 AFR's,fully ported and matched Edelbrock intake. Get ahold of me and check it out.

--------------------
04 TR Cobra
07 Shelby GT/SC 552 HP
89 Gt 331,AFR's,Paxton,TKO,3:73
68 Nova 396, 4 speed, 12 Bolt
65 SPF 427 Cobra Replica

Posts: 165 | From: Yuba City,Ca | Registered: Jul 2009  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

quote:
Originally posted by RED@7kVERT *8850GT*:
Dustin. Build your car. Delete this thread lol

Build what YOU want, and what your budget can afford... simple.

I had a HCI blah blah blah fox and SN95 with what... 320rw?? And on street tires in 2nd it was questionable. Point being, from here on out the least your coupe should have on the rear is a NT555R...

If this thread was about Dustin's build...I would say 450 to 500rW for sure...

but I bet he has way more fun than most of us do with his... [Big Grin]

--------------------
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com