Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Who actually has 4.10s in their mustang? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who actually has 4.10s in their mustang?
warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.10psi:
quote:
Originally posted by warhorse58gt:
With the stock 5 speed. I would run 3:73's on a 26" tire, and 4:10's on a 28" From your few specs, I don't see you shifting any where north of 6300rpm tops. I run 4:10's with a c4, nos, and 28"s. I cross the traps @ 7200rpms.. [patriot]

warhorse, so whats gonna happen when he goes out to the 1/4 mile and he has rpm left on the table which could be used up by going up to a higher gear such as 3.90? Having left over rpm is not ideal at all.Not trying to start shit with you, just want to see your views and hear what you got to say.
You do see his specs right? I highly doubt it will make any real difference. What is 300rpms? To a car with his specs. Hell Going from 3:73 to 4:10's netted 500-600rpm for me. I doubt He is going to notice 300rpm. [patriot] Not to mention 99% of all 3:90's I have seen/heard whine. So again 300rpm + the whine isn't worth the 3:90's. Hell He should go 4:10's with a 28" tire. If that doesn't nett him enough rpm's he can drop to a 27" tire.

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

alexv
¯
Member # 13018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexv  Ford pictures for alexv    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Most people just install gear depending on what their buddy told them and what they think is ideal without giving hard evidence of what is really correct, when i set up what gears i choose its not becuz my friends tell me he really likes his 4.10s lol, this is not attack at anyone in this post or anybody else whatsoever. Ill give you any example, you take a zo6 transmission that has a 1st gear ratio of 2.66 vs a tr3650 which has a 3.38 and use the same tire, same shift points, same hp, same weight, same car, etc, only difference being the gear ratios in the tranny and what is gonna happen is the car will finish in 4th different than each other becuz of the different tranny gearing, and that is why im so anal about knowing every spec i ask for. You have to take all the variables into consideration otherwise it will not work at all. Too many times i have seen people install gears and go to the 1/4 mile and go slower becuz of the improper gear selection which cause them to shift into 5th which results in a loss of et big time. Same goes for being undergeared, the vortech zo6 that ive been fucking with has the stock 3.42 gears, and were crossing the traps in 4th at an extremely low rpm when it should be crossing at peak rpm or just a little after, that is why im having 3.90s installed in it. I need more info from your car, then i will tell you exactly, i dont want to half as my decision for lack of needed info. peace

96 Cobra mostly stock other than FR shorty headers, CAI, bama tune. 285/40/17 front and 315/35/17 rear.
Complete GR-40 Griggs racing kit. Includes tubular K-member, tubular front control arms, front adjustable coil-over kit, caster-camber plates, front Koni double adjustable struts,rear torque arm, chassis stiffener, panhard bar, tubular rear control arms, rear Koni adjustable shocks, kevlar clutch, aluminum flywheel.
Not interested in 1/4 mile at all, just want a better acceleration without sacrificing driveability.

Posts: 119 | From: Novato, CA | Registered: Jun 2013  |  :
Saleen 00-768
¯
Member # 9379

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleen 00-768  Ford pictures for Saleen 00-768    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by alexv:
quote:
Most people just install gear depending on what their buddy told them and what they think is ideal without giving hard evidence of what is really correct, when i set up what gears i choose its not becuz my friends tell me he really likes his 4.10s lol, this is not attack at anyone in this post or anybody else whatsoever. Ill give you any example, you take a zo6 transmission that has a 1st gear ratio of 2.66 vs a tr3650 which has a 3.38 and use the same tire, same shift points, same hp, same weight, same car, etc, only difference being the gear ratios in the tranny and what is gonna happen is the car will finish in 4th different than each other becuz of the different tranny gearing, and that is why im so anal about knowing every spec i ask for. You have to take all the variables into consideration otherwise it will not work at all. Too many times i have seen people install gears and go to the 1/4 mile and go slower becuz of the improper gear selection which cause them to shift into 5th which results in a loss of et big time. Same goes for being undergeared, the vortech zo6 that ive been fucking with has the stock 3.42 gears, and were crossing the traps in 4th at an extremely low rpm when it should be crossing at peak rpm or just a little after, that is why im having 3.90s installed in it. I need more info from your car, then i will tell you exactly, i dont want to half as my decision for lack of needed info. peace

96 Cobra mostly stock other than FR shorty headers, CAI, bama tune. 285/40/17 front and 315/35/17 rear.
Complete GR-40 Griggs racing kit. Includes tubular K-member, tubular front control arms, front adjustable coil-over kit, caster-camber plates, front Koni double adjustable struts,rear torque arm, chassis stiffener, panhard bar, tubular rear control arms, rear Koni adjustable shocks, kevlar clutch, aluminum flywheel.
Not interested in 1/4 mile at all, just want a better acceleration without sacrificing driveability.

--------------------
'00 Saleen SC #768
'90 GT
'90 California Edition (sold)
'87 Saleen #264 (sold)

stangfanatic87
¯
Member # 12819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangfanatic87  Ford pictures for stangfanatic87    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
With the stock 5 speed. I would run 3:73's on a 26" tire, and 4:10's on a 28" From your few specs, I don't see you shifting any where north of 6300rpm tops. I run 4:10's with a c4, nos, and 28"s. I cross the traps @ 7200rpms.. [patriot]

warhorse, so whats gonna happen when he goes out to the 1/4 mile and he has rpm left on the table which could be used up by going up to a higher gear such as 3.90? Having left over rpm is not ideal at all.Not trying to start shit with you, just want to see your views and hear what you got to say.
You do see his specs right? I highly doubt it will make any real difference. What is 300rpms? To a car with his specs. Hell Going from 3:73 to 4:10's netted 500-600rpm for me. I doubt He is going to notice 300rpm. [patriot] Not to mention 99% of all 3:90's I have seen/heard whine. So again 300rpm + the whine isn't worth the 3:90's. Hell He should go 4:10's with a 28" tire. If that doesn't nett him enough rpm's he can drop to a 27" tire.
First off thanks for all of ur guys' input..
My street tire is a 275 40 18
If and when I do go to the track I will run a 27x10
Warhorse ur the third i heard that 3.90s whine so I won't do those..thanks

Both mrpsi and warhorse are very knowledgeable as I can see. Between both ur honest opinion please...

Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.10psi  Ford pictures for Mr.10psi  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Well if it makes any difference ive already done the difference on the gear gains going from a 3.73 to a 3.90 and it was .1 tenth, i dont know bout you but i chase everything down to the last tenth to squeeze each and everything thing possible but i totally understand where your coming from, heres what ill suggest op if you decide to go with a 3.73, get the smallest slicks or drag tire that will get you as close to max rpm at the end of the track, if you do go with the 4.10 chances are you are going to have to go with a 27 like warhorse suggesting, nothing wrong with that at all.

--------------------
02 white saleen(sold) 347 stroker in the works

Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.10psi  Ford pictures for Mr.10psi  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by alexv:
quote:

4.30 is what i would do but since you said that you dont want to sacrifice driveability and considering with freeway driving you will be pretty high on the tach when cruising at 75-80. Just go with 4.10, funny becuz i just recommended a set of 4.30 for a buddys 96 cobra also but he didnt want the high rpm on the freeway so he just went with 4.10 and loves them. Since your not interested in 1/4 then you dont have to worry bout crossing the traps with rpm left on the table.

--------------------

Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

quote:
Originally posted by stangfanatic87:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Both mrpsi and warhorse are very knowledgeable as I can see. Between both ur honest opinion please...

if you skip the 3.90 do as what i recommend and what warhose suggested. Just tailor the correct matchign tire to maximize et. One of the biggest rookie mistakes i see people due is not put a set of low gears becuz traction will be lost but that is not the way you should go aboout it, i hear this all the time, go with this gear "becuz you wont have traction with 4.10 or 4.30 blah blah blah", if you dont have traction you dont fix the problem by detuning the gear or blaming it on the gear, what you do is get a better tire or work on the suspension. Or ill see some morons go straight from a 26" slick to a 28" slick to cure their tractoins problems, but they end up not going as fast becuz now their turning 28" vs 26" slick. When i say get a better tire i mean same diameter but just a overal better tire. Before some one says a 28" slick is better needs to not even begin to argue considering that their are guys that have low 9sec car on a 26et drag slick, sure they have badass suspension but that is the right way to do it. I will give you realworld experience on this, i was at sac raceway pit crewing for a buddys notchback 331 stroker, the guy was having traction issues, he was spinning halfway through 1st gear and was running 12.4 on 275/40/17 drag radials, so everyone and their mother told him to throw on a 28 slick and he will go way faster, and i just about laughed my ass of,i let him throw on his 28 slicks and he ended up going 12.15 and everything was all hip hip hooray, so i happened to lend him a set of 26" et drags from someone else and threw them on the car and said now go run your car, funny thing is he clicked of a 11.95 and everything else then shut the hell up and could believe it, you should of seen their faces priceless. In my opinion 28" should on been on 9sec car, high hp cars, or the new 5.0 considering their 1to1 being 5th which you dont want to shift it which is why all the fast guys are running 28 cuz they have no other option, just the way the car was fucked from the factory.

--------------------

Mr.10psi
¯
Member # 11062

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by stangfanatic87:
quote:
quote:
quote:

if you skip the 3.90 do as what i recommend and what warhose suggested. Just tailor the correct matchign tire to maximize et. One of the biggest rookie mistakes i see people due is not put a set of low gears becuz traction will be lost but that is not the way you should go aboout it, i hear this all the time, go with this gear "becuz you wont have traction with 4.10 or 4.30 blah blah blah", if you dont have traction you dont fix the problem by detuning the gear or blaming it on the gear, what you do is get a better tire or work on the suspension. Or ill see some morons go straight from a 26" slick to a 28" slick to cure their tractoins problems, but they end up not going as fast becuz now their turning 28" vs 26" slick. When i say get a better tire i mean same diameter but just a overal better tire. Before some one says a 28" slick is better needs to not even begin to argue considering that their are guys that have low 9sec car on a 26et drag slick, sure they have badass suspension but that is the right way to do it. I will give you realworld experience on this, i was at sac raceway pit crewing for a buddys notchback 331 stroker, the guy was having traction issues, he was spinning halfway through 1st gear and was running 12.4 on 275/40/17 drag radials, so everyone and their mother told him to throw on a 28 slick and he will go way faster,sure ull go faster but not faster than a 26", and i just about laughed my ass off,i let him throw on his 28 slicks and he ended up going 12.15 and everything was all hip hip hooray, so i happened to lend him a set of 26" et drags from someone else and threw them on the car and said now go run your car, funny thing is he clicked of a 11.95 and everyone else then shut the hell up and couldnt believe it, you should of seen their faces priceless. In my opinion 28" should only be on 9sec cars and lower, high hp cars, or the new 5.0 considering their 1to1 being 5th which you dont want to shift into, which is why all the fast guys are running 28 cuz they have no other option,and want to ride out 4th gear, just the way the car was fucked from the factory.

[ 2013-07-04, 01:59 AM: Message edited by: Mr.10psi ]

--------------------

KCmustangboy
¯
Member # 1927

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCmustangboy  Ford pictures for KCmustangboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have had 4.10s in half of my mustangs.... The other half I just drove around wishing I had 4.10s.

--------------------
03 Cobra... Factory long block, with Whipple and AED tune... 812rwhp 10.0s @ 140... almost there!

WWW.AEDHP.COM

Posts: 1691 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Mach916
¯
Member # 8264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach916  Ford pictures for Mach916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
373s... otherwise at road course events you will run out of gear.. plus it will drive much better with less gear..
Posts: 1247 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For years I was a "don't fear the gear" sort of guy.

These days I prefer a street friendly 3.55 or 3.73

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
alexv
¯
Member # 13018

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for alexv  Ford pictures for alexv    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wish gears were easy to install, that way I could try out a few to see which one feels the best [Smile]
Posts: 119 | From: Novato, CA | Registered: Jun 2013  |  :
Southbay07S197
¯
Member # 13053

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for Southbay07S197  Ford pictures for Southbay07S197    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
6 speed 4:10 would be great. 5 speed 3:55 or 3:73...I have a 5speed and 3:55 is fun for freeway runs 3:73 for dig races

--------------------
1991 mustang 5.0 sold
2002 mustang GT sold
2006 Honda CBR 600RR sold
2007 mustang GT .full boltons
2011 Lexus IS250

Posts: 57 | From: san jose .ca | Registered: Jul 2013  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com