Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Is college worth it?? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Is college worth it??
Sco Cuddie
¯
Member # 6757

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sco Cuddie  Ford pictures for Sco Cuddie    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Smoked50:
The way I look at it is I'm gonna end up opening a couple businesses in the near future, so what's the difference if I go to school or not go to school? What's a degree gonna do for me if I'm not even gonna use it and open my own business anyway? To me it seems like a waste of time that I could be using saving money for my business. This is a serious question btw. Anyone feel free to answer [Big Grin]

Because opening a business isn't always about supply/demand and buy low/sell high. There are a lot of factors to running a profitable business that the resources at school can teach you. There is a reason why Forbes 500 Businesses hire 'top of their class' students from well known schools.

"What's a degree gonna do for me if I'm not even gonna use it and open my own business anyway?"

Why wouldn't you use it? If your goal is to open up a business, ideally your degree would support this business. You would ideally major in Business, Marketing, Math, etc., that will further enhance and support your abilities to maintain your business. Think about the HUGE amount of businesses that open each year, with goals to become the next big thing - then think about how many of those businesses are opened by a person without a degree - the percentage of those businesses closing is HUGE. A degree will counter that percentage by giving you the knowledge to maintain the business open.

[ December 05, 2012, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Sco Cuddie ]

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Very well worth it! Do it and thank us later!

My only recommendation would be to stick to a community college or an university. Stay away from private colleges!

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
Sco Cuddie
¯
Member # 6757

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sco Cuddie  Ford pictures for Sco Cuddie    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
It depends on the degree. Engineering, math, science yes. Otherwise nope. I have a friend who just got out if davis with an english degree. Tons of debt and can only find a 50k yr job.

This is a different situation though. If your friends idea was to go to college and make good money, his mistake was picking English as a degree - not the idea of going to college.

And think about this, he IS able to find a job, although he is not satisfied with the salary. Imagine how many of those jobs wouldn't be available to him if he didn't go to college.

I'm sure that the college degree your friend holds gives him a better opportunity of landing these jobs.

FRC_Kid
¯
Member # 8940

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FRC_Kid  Ford pictures for FRC_Kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
It depends on the degree. Engineering, math, science yes. Otherwise nope. I have a friend who just got out if davis with an english degree. Tons of debt and can only find a 50k yr job.

I don't know your friend but they are idiots for majoring in English [Confused]

Second they could still land plenty of jobs paying more. Where I work at now they don't care much what your degree was in just more so that you have one and aren't half retarded...

Regardless $50k a year is still better than the O so cool CaFords "$17 per hour" lol... Then he'd be making $35k a year

--------------------
Pretend Racecar Driver- C5 FRC

Ford, GM, & Dodge is what I'm all about

Posts: 2578 | From: All over the Peninsula | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cali95gt:
quote:

Second they could still land plenty of jobs paying more. Where I work at now they don't care much what your degree was in just more so that you have one and aren't half retarded...

Regardless $50k a year is still better than the O so cool CaFords "$17 per hour" lol... Then he'd be making $35k a year

u cant really fault someone though for taking on what their interest in as making money isnt everything and for some taking on a major which is known to pay more out of college may be outside of their learning capability and skill set. who knows..maybe dude was an excellent writer but couldnt add numbers for shiet or had retarded logic.

[Confused] lol

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cali95gt:
quote:

I wouldn't say he is an idiot. Davis is one or the top schools in ca. Im just reinforcing my point that some degrees aren't worth it. With an engineering deg im sure he would make 65k+ starting.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Sco Cuddie:
quote:

This is a different situation though. If your friends idea was to go to college and make good money, his mistake was picking English as a degree - not the idea of going to college.

And think about this, he IS able to find a job, although he is not satisfied with the salary. Imagine how many of those jobs wouldn't be available to him if he didn't go to college.

I'm sure that the college degree your friend holds gives him a better opportunity of landing these jobs.

That is my point. Some degrees are inferior.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Sco Cuddie
¯
Member # 6757

quote:
quote:
quote:

That is my point. Some degrees are inferior.
Money wise, some degrees are inferior. But ANY degree is superior to NO degree.
Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smoked50  Ford pictures for Smoked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
The way I look at it is I'm gonna end up opening a couple businesses in the near future, so what's the difference if I go to school or not go to school? What's a degree gonna do for me if I'm not even gonna use it and open my own business anyway? To me it seems like a waste of time that I could be using saving money for my business. This is a serious question btw. Anyone feel free to answer [Big Grin]

Because opening a business isn't always about supply/demand and buy low/sell high. There are a lot of factors to running a profitable business that the resources at school can teach you. There is a reason why Forbes 500 Businesses hire 'top of their class' students from well known schools.

"What's a degree gonna do for me if I'm not even gonna use it and open my own business anyway?"

Why wouldn't you use it? If your goal is to open up a business, ideally your degree would support this business. You would ideally major in Business, Marketing, Math, etc., that will further enhance and support your abilities to maintain your business. Think about the HUGE amount of businesses that open each year, with goals to become the next big thing - then think about how many of those businesses are opened by a person without a degree - the percentage of those businesses closing is HUGE. A degree will counter that percentage by giving you the knowledge to maintain the business open.

I agree with you, but you can't say the reason for those businesses closing is because the person who opened it did or didn't have a degree, it's more because of the type of business that was opened. I know a lot of people that don't have degrees that are GM's of companies, owners of companies, owners of businesses, etc.

There is a reason why Forbes 500 Businesses hire 'top of their class' students from well known schools.

This is true but that's if you want to work for somebody or start off in a company and work your way up, I can't imagine myself working for somebody and I already know what type of business I want to own/run. The type of business I'm going to open doesn't necessarily require me to have a degree because I know everything there is to know about this business. In other words, going to school isn't going to teach me more than I already know about the type of business I'm planning on opening. I'm not saying school isn't a good thing but more so that it just isn't for me. But I'm only 19, plans might change.

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 25 seconds or less, I'm free.

Sco Cuddie
¯
Member # 6757

quote:
quote:
quote:

I agree with you, but you can't say the reason for those businesses closing is because the person who opened it did or didn't have a degree, it's more because of the type of business that was opened. I know a lot of people that don't have degrees that are GM's of companies, owners of companies, owners of businesses, etc.

There is a reason why Forbes 500 Businesses hire 'top of their class' students from well known schools.

This is true but that's if you want to work for somebody or start off in a company and work your way up, I can't imagine myself working for somebody and I already know what type of business I want to own/run. The type of business I'm going to open doesn't necessarily require me to have a degree because I know everything there is to know about this business. In other words, going to school isn't going to teach me more than I already know about the type of business I'm planning on opening. I'm not saying school isn't a good thing but more so that it just isn't for me. But I'm only 19, plans might change.

"The type of business I'm going to open doesn't necessarily require me to have a degree because I know everything there is to know about this business."

Everything there is to know about the business? You lost me there. Not throwing shots at you, but the business world evolves everyday.

Like I mentioned before, opening up a business isn't just about buying low and selling high but rather the understanding of what it takes to make a successful business run.

And a degree doesn't give you the opportunity to work for a company where "you want to work for somebody or start off in a company and work your way up." A degree give resources to an extensive amount of knowledge to be successful.

For example, while in school you learn how to create a business structure and how legal and tax implications are related to this structure. Where and what kind of business licenses and permit to obtain, and how this is directly and indirectly effected by your business structure, location, amount of employees, type of business, etc. Then, as a small business owner, you are subject to laws and regulations that large corporations are subject to also. Do you know these regulations? Tax limitations? HR responsibilities? You have certain tax filings that need to take place appropriately, etc etc.

It takes all this, plus more to start a successful business. Think you can get this done without school? Sure. But this is where school is important, to provide you with the resources needed.

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In general it is worth it. But, one could make an argument that an Econ/Communications major will make less than a person without a degree. Besides the monetary reasons, college and dorm life is an experience that is worthwhile.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have friends that are like Smoked50...didn't bother with college and thought they knew what it took to succeed in life. As a matter of fact, one of them swore he knew everything there was to starting an electronic business (I forget what his business plan was though). 7 yrs later, where is he? At home, at his mom's house, looking at me and only one other guy from our group of friends who went to college, got a degree, and have successful lives.

Whenever someone says "they know it all...." they really don't. In my opinion, those are the people who really SHOULD go to school.

Smoked50....I'm not doubting you, but you just seem overly confident.

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A College education is 100% worth it. With a college education it increases the likelihood of better pay/salary in whatever field you choose and thus leads to a better quality of life! Get an education! It is there to help you, and with as many grants available as there are, schooling is even that much more affordable then it has been in the past.
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Join the military [patriot]

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, College is worth it. I dont care what anyone says. Unless you want to settle for being mediocre and working 60+ hours a week breaking your back at a warehouse, Then go ahead. If you want to succeed and grow, get a degree and make decent money and still have time to enjoy your life and your kids.
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
I have friends that are like Smoked50...didn't bother with college and thought they knew what it took to succeed in life. As a matter of fact, one of them swore he knew everything there was to starting an electronic business (I forget what his business plan was though). 7 yrs later, where is he? At home, at his mom's house, looking at me and only one other guy from our group of friends who went to college, got a degree, and have successful lives.

Whenever someone says "they know it all...." they really don't. In my opinion, those are the people who really SHOULD go to school.

Smoked50....I'm not doubting you, but you just seem overly confident.

+1111111111111.
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if school aint for you, maybe u should consider a job in law enforcement or fire dept. many of these guys start at 80k and after a few years hit 120k+ and have healthy pensions.

if you're curious as to how much some ppl make, you can search mercury news for 2011 public workers salary to get an idea. folks at muni and bart as operators that make your decent $30/hr rake in as much as their base salary just by working so much overtime.
in comparison, your seasoned professional engineer working for the city pulls in 150k+ base. do tha research brah

[ December 05, 2012, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: venomous99 ]

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got friends who make plenty of money and have comfortable lives never having gone to college/university - they're found their niche and are succeeding. At the same time, these are also guys who don't mind busting their butts to get to where they want to be - to get into positions where they don't have to work 60+hrs/wk doing manual labor.

I went to college right out of HS. Should I have? Yea, probably kept me out of more trouble than I got in while going to school. Was I ready to bust my ass and study after classes? No way. I went back to school three years ago to chase a dream that I wasn't ready to put in the time for when I was an undergrad. Am I glad I stuck it out and got a degree? Yep, woulda put me a couple more years behind where I'm at now.

I also feel that the personal satisfaction of earning a degree has to count for something - knowing you applied yourself and pushed toward achieving a goal is something that'll make you proud of what you've accomplished.

Do I think that trade/union jobs are inferior? No way - I know guys doing that who are making, again, plenty of cash. I guess I just knew that I didn't want to work a job that relied on my physical health to earn an income, as sooner or later everyone ends up slowing down, leaving you without much money-making potential.

My $0.02.....

Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
Sco Cuddie
¯
Member # 6757

quote:
Originally posted by phil a:

I also feel that the personal satisfaction of earning a degree has to count for something - knowing you applied yourself and pushed toward achieving a goal is something that'll make you proud of what you've accomplished.

Believe it or not, this goes a long way when interviewing for a position. My hiring manager told me once, the first thing they look at is if a person has a college degree - ANY degree - because they want to see that the person is capable and motivated enough to finish something. Regardless how long it takes, they were ambitious and motivated enough to finish it. This means alot to an employer.
BLK35th
CAFords OG
Member # 4685

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK35th  Ford pictures for BLK35th    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
College and High school are totally different things. Think of what the job market will be like in the next 20 years, when you think of college. I am in college, wish I started earlier, left the carpenter's union and started going to Community college at 22 for Radiology, then decided that it wasn't for me after 100 hours of volunteering.

Started volunteering in the spinal cord injury department, and fell in love with the atmosphere. Now I am in my last semester as an undergraduate of Kinesiology at SFSU. With this degree, mostly any field in graduate studies or Doctoral programs are open game in healthcare.

What I am trying to say is that, HELL YES college is worth it. Unless you want to keep doing the same thing all your life, and 20 years down the line from now, a youngster graduates college with a Bachelors in Business Administration (or any other related field) only to become your superior.

And for many that used high school as their experience for deciding on further education....I graduated with a GED from a continuation school. And I can tell you one thing, high school and college are completely different games.

--------------------
hahahahaha

Posts: 1412 | From: 650-408-510-415 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As I read through this post, I can notice a difference in typing/speaking styles between those who went to college, and those who did not/are against it [Wink]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Education will always pay off in the long run. I have friends that run the entire gambit of education. I know people with GED's, BS, MBA's, Ph.D's and MD's. While those without a college degree can make good money in the trades, they generally worked a lot harder to get to that position and achieved it much later in life. They also generally have to put in more hours per week to earn the same amount of money as those who work a straight 40 and have a BS. My friends with MBA's generally make in the $150k-$200k range per year. Obviously the ones with the Ph.D and MD are making 1%er money.

Also, education isn't always about making money. Sure an English degree is probably not going to pay as well as a marketing degree, but sometimes it's about doing what you love. If teaching kids how to read and write is fulfilling to someone, that doesn't make the degree any less valuable. Obviously if you get a degree in underwater basketweaving and you think you're going to parlay that into an executive position at a Fortune 100 company, then you are clearly retarded.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Robb
¯
Member # 9444

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by phil a:

Believe it or not, this goes a long way when interviewing for a position. My hiring manager told me once, the first thing they look at is if a person has a college degree - ANY degree - because they want to see that the person is capable and motivated enough to finish something. Regardless how long it takes, they were ambitious and motivated enough to finish it. This means alot to an employer.
BINGO! That's ultimately what they look after and I've heard that from all my professors. They will always go after the guy who has the degree over the one who doesn't have one.
BLK35th
CAFords OG
Member # 4685

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BLK35th  Ford pictures for BLK35th    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
As I read through this post, I can notice a difference in typing/speaking styles between those who went to college, and those who did not/are against it [Wink]

We have an image to uphold man, haha. Our point will be over-looked if we type all "ghetto", lol.

--------------------
hahahahaha

Posts: 1412 | From: 650-408-510-415 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smoked50  Ford pictures for Smoked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

"The type of business I'm going to open doesn't necessarily require me to have a degree because I know everything there is to know about this business."

Everything there is to know about the business? You lost me there. Not throwing shots at you, but the business world evolves everyday.

Like I mentioned before, opening up a business isn't just about buying low and selling high but rather the understanding of what it takes to make a successful business run.

And a degree doesn't give you the opportunity to work for a company where "you want to work for somebody or start off in a company and work your way up." A degree give resources to an extensive amount of knowledge to be successful.

For example, while in school you learn how to create a business structure and how legal and tax implications are related to this structure. Where and what kind of business licenses and permit to obtain, and how this is directly and indirectly effected by your business structure, location, amount of employees, type of business, etc. Then, as a small business owner, you are subject to laws and regulations that large corporations are subject to also. Do you know these regulations? Tax limitations? HR responsibilities? You have certain tax filings that need to take place appropriately, etc etc.

It takes all this, plus more to start a successful business. Think you can get this done without school? Sure. But this is where school is important, to provide you with the resources needed.

My mistake, let me rephrase: I don't think school can teach me more than I already know about the type of business I'm planning on opening, if you knew what business it is you'd understand a little better in my opinion. I've done a ton of research on legal things and how to run a successful business. I also have a lawyer to help me with legal things as well. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to school just to get a degree in case I don't become successful in my business. But honestly, I'd be the same as I am now. I've been able to pick at people's brains with and without degrees, they are the exact same to me. I'm not talking about your average joe that lives paycheck to paycheck, I'm talking about GMs and business owners that both do and don't have degrees. But anyway, I'm trying to prove a point that having a degree versus not having one isn't gonna decide whether you're successful or not, your motivation and mind set will.

Also, the business I want to open, I have yet to see one close down because of bad business, but then again there aren't many to begin with. I've chatted with a few people that own the business I'm looking into and they're making 7 figures a year. Some with degrees and some without.

**Edit: We can go back and forth with this for years, bottom line is a stupid person is a stupid person with or without a degree, and a smart person is a smart person. That's how I see it. Even though there's people in the world that think just because somebody has a "degree" they're smart. Which isn't true in every case.

[ December 05, 2012, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Smoked50 ]

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 25 seconds or less, I'm free.

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com