Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Is college worth it?? (Page 4)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Is college worth it??
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 04 S281:
One of the more important things about college isn't the education or degree... it's the people you meet.

That's why going to a good school is imperative... pledging a frat at a good school will make you connections that will benefit you for life. You'll meet guys who come from money, who will go on to run big family businesses. People who will go in to politics. People who will start their own businesses. People who will go into the regulatory field. You never really know how these connections could benefit you someday...

It's not what you know. It's who you know. You can go to a community college or state university... keep to yourself and get your degree... have a lot of references and experience... and someone could still get hired over you because of the good'ol boy network... because the head of hiring and the other applicant might be alumni of such and such frat.

Or you could start your own business... and some government regulation that effects your business could need to be enforced, and the enforcement official could know the owner of similar business to yours... guess who is going to get the short end of the stick? With my girl working at CARB, I know exactly how often this sort of thing happens. One business needs the competition to get taken down a peg, calls in a favor from a friend, and gets the opposing business a $1,000,000 fine.

Although I agree with you that going to a "good" college is ideal, I went to San Jose state, commuted back home on a daiy basis, and didn't join a frat and I can tell you that I have more "connections" with people than a lot of people I know who went to "good" UC's and were in a frat/sorority. In my perspective, it's how you network and communicate with people, regardless if you went to a JC, UC, or state school. I had a long debate/discussion about this with a chick at work who swore that UC Davis was the shit. She still ain't got nothing on me and my shitty San Jose state degree lol! She's stuck where I used to work, doing bulllshit while I moved on to a better company with much better pay, all thanks to my connections [Wink] all in all, college ftw...but I don't exactly think a "good" college is necessary (though I'm not saying to just get your AA at Chabot or anything!) [patriot]

[ December 11, 2012, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so the lesson learned here is hell the f yes, college is worth it as long as you make the best out of the experience and do the necessary research on finding a good fit for u in terms of your career goals.

college aint for everyone and thats not to say that you cant have a decent career w/out a degree but in general(and yes its a proven f*ckin statistic) that youll have an advantage in the work force over someone who doesnt have a degree and open up way more opportunities for yourself.

now stop beating a dead horse. f*ckin go to school, make a difference in the world and earn some cash.
[Razz]

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Page: 1  2  3  4   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com