Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » wilit's engine build thread (Page 3)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: wilit's engine build thread
Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
quote:
Originally posted by Boss 327:
Why did you retard the cam timing?

I built the engine in Desktop Dyno (yeah I know...) and it made 20 more HP retarded and shifted the power curve up from 5500 to 6000. Desktop Dyno says it should make 386hp & 367ft/lbs of torque. I'm curious to see how accurate it is.

Also I was a tad worried the bigger valves would be a problem with a zero-decked stock piston. Turns out it was a total non-issue.

Makes sense. I was just wondering because most people advance the cam to get more mid-range out of it. That's one thing I love about engine building, every engine is different. [patriot]

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, it's been a while since I've done an update because I ran into another stumbling block that needed to have some money thrown at the problem.

Back in November(ish) I got my pushrods and got to work torquing down the guideplates and ran into an issue. The guideplates that came with the TF heads would not center my Magnum Pro rockers over the valve tips. I could get one of them centered, but then the other wouldn't be centered. If I split the difference, you could still tell they weren't angled correctly.

Here you can see the rockers weren't perfectly centered over the tips.
 -

I posted the problem here and on Corral.net and had some helpful ideas thrown at me. Most people said this was a common issue with the Magnum Pro's and TF heads and just ran them as is. I didn't like how far over the roller was sitting, so I decided to go this route. Split guideplates.

Two piece guideplates that allow individual adjustment of the rockers.
 -

These created issues of their own however. There is just enough slop in them that it makes torquing them down without moving an impossibility. So what I needed was to weld them together after getting them adjusted correctly. Only problem there was I didn't feel comfortable welding them with my Harbor Freight $99 fluxcore welder. So I had to wait till March for my bonus to pay out before buying a new 220v MIG.

Tack welded
 -

Here are the rockers centered up (hard to tell in this pic because of the angle, but trust me, they're centered).
 -

Here you can see the split plate on top of the factory TF plates. There's a pretty significant difference between the two.
 -

[ 2016-03-27, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nicely done

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
90 7up lx
¯
Member # 10304

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90 7up lx  Ford pictures for 90 7up lx  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So is this issue with only the magnum rockers???...will other rockers work with the heads with trickflows provided guied plates??
Posts: 1266 | From: north valley | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90 7up lx:
So is this issue with only the magnum rockers???...will other rockers work with the heads with trickflows provided guied plates??

A couple of guys on Corral said it was common to the Magnum Pros because the hole in the trunion is offset. I tried rotating the trunion 180° to see if it moved the rocker over and it didn't, so I don't know if that offset thing is true. I don't know if this is a thing with other rockers but since I didn't find any info in my searches, I would say it probably isn't.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Really enjoying your thread. Your attention to detail and want for perfection is something everyone should try to achieve.

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
REDLIGHTING
¯
Member # 11296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for REDLIGHTING  Ford pictures for REDLIGHTING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nicely done! [dance]

--------------------
1992 coupe YSI, DART,
225 TFS HIGH PORTS
04 mystichrome convertible

2006 GMC sierra slt crew

SIC9250
¯
Member # 8216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIC9250  Ford pictures for SIC9250    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by John91coupe:
Really enjoying your thread. Your attention to detail and want for perfection is something everyone should try to achieve.

This! Very good read!

--------------------
Coyote_Mach1

Posts: 6959 | From: in the drivers seat. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
Originally posted by John91coupe:

Thanks. Hopefully it'll last and make more than 200hp. [patriot]

--------------------

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com