Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » iPhone 4 coming out on the 15th (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: iPhone 4 coming out on the 15th
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can keep the unlimited iPhone plan when you up grade the new price change only effects the new customers and existing customers with no smartphone data plans and the IOS is better then the os in the droids and the touch function is alot smoother then any other phone also, and yes they have multitasking on the new iPhone 4 and has two microphones and two cameras wich films in high def and can do video calls and the screen is made out of the same material as a a helicopter windsheild and more scratch resistant then the last phone wich is pretty scratch resistant already and if the iPhone sucks so bad why is every manufacture trying to compare to or compete with the Iphone there will always be so called iPhone killers and iPhone haters, I used to be one till I owned one now I can't believe I was lieing to myself and to all those who's said the iPhone was coming to there carrier because a (salesman) told you that ,you got CLOSED! Never beleive anything when someone is trying to sell you somthing!

[ June 08, 2010, 04:00 PM: Message edited by: 50Reasons ]

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WildFire532FB:
quote:
Originally posted by essasin:
I'm a sucker for new tech but the wireless price gouging is getting too far. Consumers are going brain dead wanting the new iphone (which looks to be awesome) and don't realize AT&T is ripping them off.

AT&T just restructured their data plans and it coincidently happens on th same day of Iphone announcement. They got rid of their $30 dollar unlimited plan and are tiering it 2GB for $25 dollars and $15 for 200MB of data. Iphones especially are portable media devices and 2gb is nowhere near enough for streaming or tethering. On top of that The "new technology" and "4g speeds" is not exactly new and they've had the technology for quite some time now.

I am sure Verizon and the other major carriers will eventually follow suit. The early release and the early upgrade "hookup" is merely the bait to reel you in. In the coming months Verizon will use the upcoming Android lineup and do the same thing. The only way around this is to pay full price for the iphone and grandfather your current 30 unlimited data plan.

If your on the unlimited data plan and have no interest in getting a new phone anytime soon or changing your plan, does your plan still change with their new restructure or am i safe and will always have unlimited until i buy a new phone?
If you are on the unlimited data plan prior to June 7th (yesterday) you are safe and will continue to have the same unlimited plan.

If you want to get a new phone (upgrade) you have two choices

1)You can buy a new phone and keep your existing unlimited data plan. The drawback is that you will have to pay full price for the phone or buy one off ebay and activate it.

2)Buy a new phone using the promotional offer from AT&T. To get the promotional price for the phone you MUST sign a new contract and you will loose your unlimited data plan and be switched to their new data plans.

Say you wanted a new Iphone
Option 1: it could cost you 600 dollars (pay retail) but you would keep the unlimited data plan

Option 2: the iphone would cost the promotional $199 but you would be put into another 2 year contract and loose your current unlimited plan

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
iPhone ATT fail during presentation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znxQOPFg2mo

VERIZON FTW!

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
iphone can bring it

HTC all day [dance]

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No matter the amount of faults the iPhone OS will have people will still line up around the block to get the newest iPhone.

With longer battery life, camera flash, a
better screen, and 32 GB shit I want one but I'll wait until a price drop and the bugs are sorted out first!

RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have any of u even used OS4 yet??

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
quote:
quote:
all these software features u guys speak of can easily be taken care of with a jailbreak.

multitasking, tethering, free apps, etc via jailbreak. ill enjoy the 220k apps while android plays catch-up. until that happens, ill enjoy the iphone4 and sell my 3gs jailbroken phone for 350 on ebay, which then leaves me with about 300 to make up for the out of contract price on the 16gb iphone4.

Jailbreaking won't solve the shortcomings of the OS itself. Multi tasking on the iphone is not 100% multitasking because of how the OS is written. Iphone OS actually pauses the unused application while you switch to another application. This is also the reason why Iphone OS4 will never be able to have multiple live updates on multiple live screens. Android has true multi tasking ability that allows all open applications to be running at one time.

Iphone OS4 will not support flash even after jailbreaking. Either Steve Jobs holds a grudge against adobe or it just can't be supported by the OS. HTML5 is up and coming but flash is widely used.

As far as apps go Iphone does have the advantage because it has been around longer. But, within the short period Android has been around it has taken that market share by storm. Any app that is of any importance already has an Android equivalent. Android is open source and the marketplace is open to all unlike Apples regulated marketplace.

Iphone 4G will be an awesome phone and it will be one of the best handsets to date. But it's OS is nowhere near that of the Android.

yes, the flash portion really sucks with any apple product since many websites are running flash but id be willing to sacrifice a bit here and there.

is your iphone jailbroken? as far as i know it when u run backgrounder the apps running in the background update so not sure about that limitation u mention.

with android, are you able to gain free access to bootleg apps or are you limited by purchasing through an apps store? obviously, i dont have an android so just curious as to what limitations u have w/ apps.

My iphone is jailbroken. I've actually have gone through at least 10 iphones as a tester for a Dev team. Iphone has developed a "multi task" solution in which it created 7 services which could run in the background. But that is why I say it's not a true multi tasking, computing-like experience. Apple basically let 7 most basic task/services and allowed users to switch between them. The rest of the services that don't fall into these categories will pause while you open another service like it does now.

On your iphone right now try uploading a picture to photobucket and in the middle or beginning of it switch out and open application. That upload will pause while you open the other app. In Iphone 0S4 it will do the same if it's not one of the 7 services.

Their solution will work and it's design is clever in a way that it will conserve resources but marketing it as true multi tasking like Apple is doing is a lie.

Android has a jail break and it's called root and custom roms. It has the same type of marketplace and boot leg apps. The difference is the sheer number of apps in the Iphone marketplace.

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:
No matter the amount of faults the iPhone OS will have people will still line up around the block to get the newest iPhone.

With longer battery life, camera flash, a
better screen, and 32 GB shit I want one but I'll wait until a price drop and the bugs are sorted out first!

Agreed and I will getting one myself to tinker with.
DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats an i phone? [Confused]

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by RED@7kVERT *8850GT*:

None of us have used Iphone 0S4 but the OS is still based on the same architecture that has it's limitations.
RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

None of us have used Iphone 0S4 but the OS is still based on the same architecture that has it's limitations.
limitations as far as??

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
quote:
quote:

limitations as far as??
The biggest drawback is the fact the IOS4 is not open source and is limited by the SDK. Iphone OS SDK has more licencing restrictions which puts a choke hold on developers. On top of that apple charges a fee to develop applications for testing and selling.

Android on the other hand is open source and is Java, XML, and C galore. They have complete freedom and more tools to develop with. All this for free.

What does that all come down too? Let's take the multi tasking issue. An Iphone developer has to worry about their apps not having enough resources, or taking too much resources and not being compatible with the services the OS places on it. Meanwhile the Android developer has no restrictions and limitations because the OS itself is more robust.

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
all these software features u guys speak of can easily be taken care of with a jailbreak.

multitasking, tethering, free apps, etc via jailbreak. ill enjoy the 220k apps while android plays catch-up. until that happens, ill enjoy the iphone4 and sell my 3gs jailbroken phone for 350 on ebay, which then leaves me with about 300 to make up for the out of contract price on the 16gb iphone4.

Jailbreaking won't solve the shortcomings of the OS itself. Multi tasking on the iphone is not 100% multitasking because of how the OS is written. Iphone OS actually pauses the unused application while you switch to another application. This is also the reason why Iphone OS4 will never be able to have multiple live updates on multiple live screens. Android has true multi tasking ability that allows all open applications to be running at one time.

Iphone OS4 will not support flash even after jailbreaking. Either Steve Jobs holds a grudge against adobe or it just can't be supported by the OS. HTML5 is up and coming but flash is widely used.

As far as apps go Iphone does have the advantage because it has been around longer. But, within the short period Android has been around it has taken that market share by storm. Any app that is of any importance already has an Android equivalent. Android is open source and the marketplace is open to all unlike Apples regulated marketplace.

Iphone 4G will be an awesome phone and it will be one of the best handsets to date. But it's OS is nowhere near that of the Android.

yes, the flash portion really sucks with any apple product since many websites are running flash but id be willing to sacrifice a bit here and there.

is your iphone jailbroken? as far as i know it when u run backgrounder the apps running in the background update so not sure about that limitation u mention.

with android, are you able to gain free access to bootleg apps or are you limited by purchasing through an apps store? obviously, i dont have an android so just curious as to what limitations u have w/ apps.

My iphone is jailbroken. I've actually have gone through at least 10 iphones as a tester for a Dev team. Iphone has developed a "multi task" solution in which it created 7 services which could run in the background. But that is why I say it's not a true multi tasking, computing-like experience. Apple basically let 7 most basic task/services and allowed users to switch between them. The rest of the services that don't fall into these categories will pause while you open another service like it does now.

On your iphone right now try uploading a picture to photobucket and in the middle or beginning of it switch out and open application. That upload will pause while you open the other app. In Iphone 0S4 it will do the same if it's not one of the 7 services.

Their solution will work and it's design is clever in a way that it will conserve resources but marketing it as true multi tasking like Apple is doing is a lie.

Android has a jail break and it's called root and custom roms. It has the same type of marketplace and boot leg apps. The difference is the sheer number of apps in the Iphone marketplace.

essasin, i see what you're saying about what is considered multitasking.never really tripped off of it as i was just happy that i didnt have to wait the extra 10 seconds for a program to relaunch w/out backgrounder like running an navi app(navigon), which takes awhile to initialize.

thanks for the explanation..obviously uve tinkered enough w/ these phones to know the subtle differences.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

essasin, i see what you're saying about what is considered multitasking.never really tripped off of it as i was just happy that i didnt have to wait the extra 10 seconds for a program to relaunch w/out backgrounder like running an navi app(navigon), which takes awhile to initialize.

thanks for the explanation..obviously uve tinkered enough w/ these phones to know the subtle differences.

NP. The 3g is still a great phone and the 4g looks to be even better. I can't wait to get my hands on one. New tech and competition can only benefit us.
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Can't wait to get mine still

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
BOSS 32V
¯
Member # 8125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOSS 32V  Ford pictures for BOSS 32V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn! I bought a 3GS last week with a 2/year contract, I wonder if i can return it withing the 30 day and get a 4G....??

--------------------
'93 Cobra terminated 2.3 whipple competion orange.

Terminator Intimidator
Featured in MM&FF Dec. '10
#8 Top 10 best mustangs of 2010
Sold.

Posts: 348 | From: Hayward, Ca | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by BOSS 32V:
Damn! I bought a 3GS last week with a 2/year contract, I wonder if i can return it withing the 30 day and get a 4G....??

That's not a bad thing. You'll want to buy the phone outright anyways to keep your unlimited data plan. If not I think you have 30 days.
rgtrahn
¯
Member # 7133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rgtrahn  Ford pictures for rgtrahn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

That's not a bad thing. You'll want to buy the phone outright anyways to keep your unlimited data plan. If not I think you have 30 days.
I called att.. said I can keep my unlimited plan and still upgrade to iPhone 4 on the 24th..however, if at some point I decide to ditch the unlimited plan I can't get it back.
bigjerry
¯
Member # 6033

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigjerry  Ford pictures for bigjerry  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
picking up my evo 4g tmrw [Big Grin]

--------------------
89 GT vert in progress ....

Posts: 433 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by rgtrahn:
quote:
quote:

I called att.. said I can keep my unlimited plan and still upgrade to iPhone 4 on the 24th..however, if at some point I decide to ditch the unlimited plan I can't get it back.
Did you ask how much an "upgrade" would cost you? By upgrade would get the promotional pricing or would you have to pay full retail price?

On AT&T data plan facebook page it says "if you are a current smartphone customer you're not required to switch to one of the new plans." But it does not mention phone pricing.

If you go to the ATT wireless page there is always a footnote to any promotional pricing phone which says " 2 year contract & new activation required."
New activation means new contract and since the unlimited data plan is not offered anymore I'm not sure how they are able to give you both unlimited data and promotional pricing.

But if they are able to do this please post up. A lot of us would be flocking to get one and I would have some leverage to being able to upgrade my equipment at a discounted price. I have been with them since Cellular One and I am still on one of the first GSM phone plans offered by Cingular.

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
spent and hour at sprint playin with the evo.. and WOW! I love this phone. Would have picked it up but didnt have wallet. Even my friend that was with me with a Iphone in hand was impressed. I was shocked at how brilliant the screen was and how good the camera/picture was. The speaker is pretty damn loud too.
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
spent and hour at sprint playin with the evo.. and WOW! I love this phone. Would have picked it up but didnt have wallet. Even my friend that was with me with a Iphone in hand was impressed. I was shocked at how brilliant the screen was and how good the camera/picture was. The speaker is pretty damn loud too.

Where you able to run a bandwidth and latency test?
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

Where you able to run a bandwidth and latency test?
kinda, I have a flash app that I run on web browsers the does a loop of some intensive processing stuff (fractals). And it kept a good FPS. I know not a good test but I was impressed.
93redcobra
CAFords OG
Member # 1344

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93redcobra  Ford pictures for 93redcobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

I received my evo on monday(ordered it the morning of the release day), and i cannot put this thing down.
CLEEN 50
CAFords OG
Member # 5867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLEEN 50  Ford pictures for CLEEN 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For existing iPhone customers: Does anyone know if you will be able to preorder it straight from the AT&T website on the 14th with the eligible upgrade?
Posts: 2534 | From: Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com