Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Cotto vs Pacquiao (Page 4)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Cotto vs Pacquiao
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rmadison007:
The only two fighters on Manny's radar right now are Marquez and Mayweather...Moseley will get ignored along with Williams...Also Williams will probably not fight at 147 again...I believe he will fighting at middleweight his next couple of fights...The key is Roach wants Mayweather and he will convince Arum to make the fight and they should make a deal with a 50-50 split with the amount of money the fight should generate and estimates suggest the fight will break the all time payper views buys...Mayweather can make 145 but will likely ask to fight at 147...Naturally both Manny and Mayweather are 144-148lbs so any weight shouldn't be hard to make...I can see the fight actually happening and there being enough money to give both fighters enough motivation to share...I can not even think of how Manny expects to attack Mayweather...I have not seen anyone be effective doing anything against Mayweather...

I agree Marquez gave manny hell and Mayweather just totally dismantled him. I am not sure what Roachs approach would be. And say what you want, Mayweathers family is very good trainers.
rmadison007
¯
Member # 8670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmadison007  Ford pictures for rmadison007    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
Originally posted by rmadison007:
The only two fighters on Manny's radar right now are Marquez and Mayweather...Moseley will get ignored along with Williams...Also Williams will probably not fight at 147 again...I believe he will fighting at middleweight his next couple of fights...The key is Roach wants Mayweather and he will convince Arum to make the fight and they should make a deal with a 50-50 split with the amount of money the fight should generate and estimates suggest the fight will break the all time payper views buys...Mayweather can make 145 but will likely ask to fight at 147...Naturally both Manny and Mayweather are 144-148lbs so any weight shouldn't be hard to make...I can see the fight actually happening and there being enough money to give both fighters enough motivation to share...I can not even think of how Manny expects to attack Mayweather...I have not seen anyone be effective doing anything against Mayweather...

I agree Marquez gave manny hell and Mayweather just totally dismantled him. I am not sure what Roachs approach would be. And say what you want, Mayweathers family is very good trainers.
Excellent trainers and absolutely entertaining and they will irritate the hell out of Roach...I guarantee Roach will choose to be less vocal throughout this fight build up...
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BUKSING:
Excellent post from another forum...

C&P

Mayweather-Pacquiao will be boring, thanks to Mayweather.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I said it Mayweather-Pacquiao will be a boring fight. Yes Mayweather will do his job in selling himself and telling us how he'll KO Manny blah blah blah. But once the fight starts he will become a defensive, elusive fighter for 12 rounds.

Think about it. On Mayweather/Marquez Mayweather outweighed Marquez by about 15-20 pounds. Marquez could not hurt Floyd, but yet Floyd had no interest in giving the fans a show or finishing the fight. He was happy "out-pointing" Marquez.

The same would happen with Pacquiao. Mayweather will dance around the ring, throw a jab or two and a lead right hand every now and then and that's it. Pacquiao will try to make it a fight but Floyd will not engage.

I'm over Mayweather and believing his hype. Remember when he said he would "ice" DLH? I thought he was going to bring it to the Golden Boy. And what happened? It was a snooze-fest.

Manny is the bigger star by far, the bigger draw, and the better fighter/warrior by far. He doesn't need Mayweather, at this point Mayweather needs him.

*And . . . would Mayweather even bother making weight? Or would he rather pay Manny as he did Marquez and not bother making weight?

yea man, I think you got boxing all wrong. And if you do not think Mayweather is the best Welter out there you must not follow boxing. If it had not been for his retirement, Manny would not be considered the P4P best. And Manny himself is an extremely flawed boxer, and I will go on record saying he cannot beat any of the top 3 welters of which Cotto was not one. Ask yourself why would you fight the 4th best fighter in a weight class and claim to be the best? Why? Because cotto was the easiest mark of the belt holders. Berto, Mosely would beat Manny easily. Mayweather will beat Manny easily. Williams will arguably beat all mentioned. So call it what it is, he is a champion and achieved something memorable. But this was not a sign of the times in the welter class. Manny's reign stops there. Like RJJ's campaign at Heavyweight stopped at Ruiz.
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
awsome fight !!! i havent seen the fillopeno fight yet, but hes tight as hell last night! other guy was no joke eithier!but did you see the stats and the faces in the end , even the announcer even said cotto wont have that prtty face no more ! wow im watchin evey fight that guy has from now on. the small guys normally aint that fun watchin but hes vicoiuse and mello mannerd not big headed at all. i love this dude ! hes my new boxin champ.
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if your out your weight class i dont care who you are , your out your weight class, and if you can still hang and even get the 4th runner up thats still sayin sumthin.ands his attitude aint all like those otrher guys.the top guys might beat him but naturral pounds the guy is turnin heads.
Rigo5.0
¯
Member # 5247

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rigo5.0  Ford pictures for Rigo5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

C&P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I said it Mayweather-Pacquiao will be a boring fight. Yes Mayweather will do his job in selling himself and telling us how he'll KO Manny blah blah blah. But once the fight starts he will become a defensive, elusive fighter for 12 rounds.

Think about it. On Mayweather/Marquez Mayweather outweighed Marquez by about 15-20 pounds. Marquez could not hurt Floyd, but yet Floyd had no interest in giving the fans a show or finishing the fight. He was happy "out-pointing" Marquez.

The same would happen with Pacquiao. Mayweather will dance around the ring, throw a jab or two and a lead right hand every now and then and that's it. Pacquiao will try to make it a fight but Floyd will not engage.

I'm over Mayweather and believing his hype. Remember when he said he would "ice" DLH? I thought he was going to bring it to the Golden Boy. And what happened? It was a snooze-fest.

Manny is the bigger star by far, the bigger draw, and the better fighter/warrior by far. He doesn't need Mayweather, at this point Mayweather needs him.

*And . . . would Mayweather even bother making weight? Or would he rather pay Manny as he did Marquez and not bother making weight?

yea man, I think you got boxing all wrong. And if you do not think Mayweather is the best Welter out there you must not follow boxing. If it had not been for his retirement, Manny would not be considered the P4P best. And Manny himself is an extremely flawed boxer, and I will go on record saying he cannot beat any of the top 3 welters of which Cotto was not one. Ask yourself why would you fight the 4th best fighter in a weight class and claim to be the best? Why? Because cotto was the easiest mark of the belt holders. Berto, Mosely would beat Manny easily. Mayweather will beat Manny easily. Williams will arguably beat all mentioned. So call it what it is, he is a champion and achieved something memorable. But this was not a sign of the times in the welter class. Manny's reign stops there. Like RJJ's campaign at Heavyweight stopped at Ruiz.
I have money on Manny if we get to see him fight Berto or Mosley since you are very confident in them. Berto is a wild swinging brawler that will get worked. Mosely is too old to hang with what Manny is bringing to the ring right now.

--------------------
91 5.0 [331|T56]
87 Grand National
02 Z06
08 Challenger SRT8
13 Shelby GT500
00 Lightning
14 Camaro SS

Posts: 1454 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
YEFF
¯
Member # 4857

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for YEFF  Ford pictures for YEFF    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pac-man handed cotto an ass whooping, cotto had no chance.

--------------------
RIP - 2000 Saleen Mustang GT - Custom Estate Green

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by Rigo5.0:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

C&P

I have money on Manny if we get to see him fight Berto or Mosley since you are very confident in them. Berto is a wild swinging brawler that will get worked. Mosely is too old to hang with what Manny is bringing to the ring right now.
Why did you leave out Mayweather...lol. Or Williams. Williams has said recently he will cut down to welter if anyone wants to fight him.
98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Let me start off by saying I'm a huge Pac fan, but I'm an even bigger critic. Over the past few years, I was always finding reasons why he wouldn't win, be it with his style or the outside influences in his life. He always proved me wrong, and I didn't mind one bit.

After the fights, the boxing gurus would find some reason to downplay the win, and give reasons why his next fight would be his demise. Barrera, Marquez, and Morales would have destroyed him in their hayday. Marquez was dehydrated the last fight. Morales had the bird flu. De La Hoya is only 25% of his old self. Ricky Hatton was never deserving to step in the ring in the first place, and his 40+ wins didn't matter. LOL etc etc ...

Cotto is a class act. What a fighter. Humble, and lets his boxing do the talking. People say he was garbage because he was backing up the last 6 rounds. At least he had enough to do so, I believe he was running on pure pride. He was gracious in his defeat, not that my opinion matters, but he won me over.

Now for the excuses ... Cotto wasn't a true welterweight. Cotto hasn't recovered from Margarito. Cotto wasn't the same as he was versus the other 34 opponents. Cotto took money to lose. The mafia threatened him LOL. At what point do we just say, that Pac was the better fighter on each of those nights?

Bottom line is, Roach = success. Roach has him on another level. Roach won't let Pac take a fight he doesn't think he can win. If he fights Floyd, it will be at a weight Roach feels comfortable with. At 145, he's still fast, but any more, and he'll lose that edge he would need over bigger and more powerful fighters. He's not as light on his feet, and his transitions aren't as quick as he is at 140.

But for now, I'm going to enjoy this one until May-June for his next fight, whoever it is. (Since all my sports teams are pathetic and give me nothing to be excited about LOL [Big Grin] )

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by 98Snake:
Let me start off by saying I'm a huge Pac fan, but I'm an even bigger critic. Over the past few years, I was always finding reasons why he wouldn't win, be it with his style or the outside influences in his life. He always proved me wrong, and I didn't mind one bit.

After the fights, the boxing gurus would find some reason to downplay the win, and give reasons why his next fight would be his demise. Barrera, Marquez, and Morales would have destroyed him in their hayday. Marquez was dehydrated the last fight. Morales had the bird flu. De La Hoya is only 25% of his old self. Ricky Hatton was never deserving to step in the ring in the first place, and his 40+ wins didn't matter. LOL etc etc ...

Cotto is a class act. What a fighter. Humble, and lets his boxing do the talking. People say he was garbage because he was backing up the last 6 rounds. At least he had enough to do so, I believe he was running on pure pride. He was gracious in his defeat, not that my opinion matters, but he won me over.

Now for the excuses ... Cotto wasn't a true welterweight. Cotto hasn't recovered from Margarito. Cotto wasn't the same as he was versus the other 34 opponents. Cotto took money to lose. The mafia threatened him LOL. At what point do we just say, that Pac was the better fighter on each of those nights?

Bottom line is, Roach = success. Roach has him on another level. Roach won't let Pac take a fight he doesn't think he can win. If he fights Floyd, it will be at a weight Roach feels comfortable with. At 145, he's still fast, but any more, and he'll lose that edge he would need over bigger and more powerful fighters. He's not as light on his feet, and his transitions aren't as quick as he is at 140.

But for now, I'm going to enjoy this one until May-June for his next fight, whoever it is. (Since all my sports teams are pathetic and give me nothing to be excited about LOL [Big Grin] )

I love boxing in general so I will never take anything from an achievement like this. Especially because I did not think he would win. But if you are a true boxing fan you know this was the road of less resistance to gain bargaining leverage on Mayweather. All they have to say now is. Well Manny has a belt. He could have easily chosen Mosely to get a belt or Berto to get a belt. But he chose Cotto a fight they were confident he could win. That makes that move no better than nay of Mayweathers last moves. Which I slighted too, but you gotta hand it to both of them. They won in convincing fashion over them. So for now, I will bask in his Manny's win as well as my Filipino folks seem more gracious with their drink buying at this moment...lmao. Now we just gotta wait on the Bhop v RJJ, and Mosely V Berto fights. Those will be some good ones.
Rigo5.0
¯
Member # 5247

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rigo5.0  Ford pictures for Rigo5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

C&P

Why did you leave out Mayweather...lol. Or Williams. Williams has said recently he will cut down to welter if anyone wants to fight him.
LOL...
I'm not putting money against those two. I really like P Will, but I think PAC would give him hell.
Mayweather vs PAC would be boring and I don't think PAC would be very effective against PBF's great defense. I had mentioned previously that I believed PAC would take PBF, but not after what I saw he did to Marquez.
PAC should fight Berto or Mosely next. Great payday with not too much risk.

--------------------
91 5.0 [331|T56]
87 Grand National
02 Z06
08 Challenger SRT8
13 Shelby GT500
00 Lightning
14 Camaro SS

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

C&P

LOL...
I'm not putting money against those two. I really like P Will, but I think PAC would give him hell.
Mayweather vs PAC would be boring and I don't think PAC would be very effective against PBF's great defense. I had mentioned previously that I believed PAC would take PBF, but not after what I saw he did to Marquez.
PAC should fight Berto or Mosely next. Great payday with not too much risk.

Ill take a bet on Mosely. Mosely will kill Manny..lol. Berto will beat Manny but it will be a slug out. And Manny giving P-Dub hell...lmao. Did you see what he did to winky wright! I wish the Pavlik fight would have went down. Now thinking about it, Roach would try to make P-Dub fight for the welter belt at 130 or something to give manny a edge. What ever happens next I hope it is at the real weight for whatever weight class.
mikeP
¯
Member # 4489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mikeP  Ford pictures for mikeP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
on a side note...now all you bay lovers support Andre Ward this coming 21st vs Mikkel Kessler...GO ANDRE!!!!

--------------------
91 vert lx 5.0, 68 CS, 69 BB nova

98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8: Ill take a bet on Mosely. Mosely will kill Manny..lol. Berto will beat Manny but it will be a slug out. And Manny giving P-Dub hell...lmao. Did you see what he did to winky wright! I wish the Pavlik fight would have went down. Now thinking about it, Roach would try to make P-Dub fight for the welter belt at 130 or something to give manny a edge. What ever happens next I hope it is at the real weight for whatever weight class. [/QB]
Exactly. LOL P-Dub?! Maybe if P-Dub was 7" shorter and 20lbs lighter, Pac would have a chance. No way in hell, Pac would give P-Dub hell. Theres a reason P-Dub can't get a big fight, it would be a career disaster for any of the prospective fighters right NOW in THIS era. There's only so much a fighter can overcome.

Everyone wants Pac vs. Floyd, but it'll be at 145, no higher. 99% chance Floyd won't come down that far and Pac won't go up, but who knows.

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8: Ill take a bet on Mosely. Mosely will kill Manny..lol. Berto will beat Manny but it will be a slug out. And Manny giving P-Dub hell...lmao. Did you see what he did to winky wright! I wish the Pavlik fight would have went down. Now thinking about it, Roach would try to make P-Dub fight for the welter belt at 130 or something to give manny a edge. What ever happens next I hope it is at the real weight for whatever weight class.

Exactly. LOL P-Dub?! Maybe if P-Dub was 7" shorter and 20lbs lighter, Pac would have a chance. No way in hell, Pac would give P-Dub hell. Theres a reason P-Dub can't get a big fight, it would be a career disaster for any of the prospective fighters right NOW in THIS era. There's only so much a fighter can overcome.

Everyone wants Pac vs. Floyd, but it'll be at 145, no higher. 99% chance Floyd won't come down that far and Pac won't go up, but who knows. [/QB]

Floyd makes 145 easily. But it is no secret he shows up to the ring around 150-ish. Most fighters show up to the ring slightly over the weigh in weight. But manny has racked up wins by stipulating match weights. But I am sure Mosely and Mayweather will not fall for that. And yea Williams is a beast in 3 weight classes including welter. Hell he had to beg Pavlik for a fight.
East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8: Ill take a bet on Mosely. Mosely will kill Manny..lol. Berto will beat Manny but it will be a slug out. And Manny giving P-Dub hell...lmao. Did you see what he did to winky wright! I wish the Pavlik fight would have went down. Now thinking about it, Roach would try to make P-Dub fight for the welter belt at 130 or something to give manny a edge. What ever happens next I hope it is at the real weight for whatever weight class.

Everyone wants Pac vs. Floyd, but it'll be at 145, no higher. 99% chance Floyd won't come down that far and Pac won't go up, but who knows.

Floyd makes 145 easily. But it is no secret he shows up to the ring around 150-ish. Most fighters show up to the ring slightly over the weigh in weight. But manny has racked up wins by stipulating match weights. But I am sure Mosely and Mayweather will not fall for that. And yea Williams is a beast in 3 weight classes including welter. Hell he had to beg Pavlik for a fight. [/QB]
yeah he begged Pavlik for a fight and Pavlik "got staph infection and cancelled there fight for the second time" When Williams moved on and chose Sergio martinez to fight on dec 2. Pavlik then scheduled a fight with someone else TWO WEEKS AFTER WILLIAMS FIGHTS! Hmm that staph infection sure did heal fast! Pavlik is scared! I think Hopkins broke his fighting spirit

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

BATMOBILE
¯
Member # 6239

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BATMOBILE  Ford pictures for BATMOBILE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Saturday was a tuff night. I'm a huge Cotto fan and to see him lose is devastating. When cotto lost I just wanted to burry myself in my blankets lol ( not kidding ). Dont get me wrong, i wasn't ashamed of how he fought cuz I think he fought like a true champ. He didn't quit on his stool in the 8th round, get knocked out in the 2nd round or run from the opening bell. He gave it all he had and wouldn't stop until the ref stopped it. He showed heart..

When I hear people say that he wasn't the best at 147lbs thats a joke. I could swore Cotto beat Mosley lol. And who has Berto and Williams foght to be considered the best? Williams and Berto are so raw and unpollished its not even funny. Berto throws haymakers and will get caught so fast he wont know what hit him!!!

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by BATMOBILE:
Saturday was a tuff night. I'm a huge Cotto fan and to see him lose is devastating. When cotto lost I just wanted to burry myself in my blankets lol ( not kidding ). Dont get me wrong, i wasn't ashamed of how he fought cuz I think he fought like a true champ. He didn't quit on his stool in the 8th round, get knocked out in the 2nd round or run from the opening bell. He gave it all he had and wouldn't stop until the ref stopped it. He showed heart..

When I hear people say that he wasn't the best at 147lbs thats a joke. I could swore Cotto beat Mosley lol. And who has Berto and Williams foght to be considered the best? Williams and Berto are so raw and unpollished its not even funny. Berto throws haymakers and will get caught so fast he wont know what hit him!!!

Cotto is the 4th best Welter. He has beat some quality people Mosely included. Cotto is not Hall of Fame Mosely is. Mosely is currently a champ Cotto isnt. So that is why you give the nod to him. Mayweather we know if just better. Paul Williams is ducked by everyone and has beaten winky wright convincingly. And next to Floyd is the best defensive fighter out there. He has also beat Margarito, Quintana and Phillips. It is no secret he is the most ducked man in the game behind chad dawson. I still like Cotto but in all reality he should hang em up. He got beat bad and Manny is still not that good in my eyes to have beaten him like that. I am thinking he is damaged goods now. There are no fights out there for him now.

[ November 16, 2009, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: N8 ]

AbominableSnoman...
¯
Member # 8290

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AbominableSnoman...  Ford pictures for AbominableSnoman...    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
credit should be given where credit is due! I think most people that had all the stuff to say about manny getting his ass handed to him by cotto needs to realize just how good manny is. you dont get all them belts by luck? how do yal not see manny's skills? anyways... how many of all these other fighters stepped up in so many weight divisions? how many of them have beat so many other fighters in higher weight divisions.... Pacman dont talk no crap about nobody, he fights whoever they put in front of him in the ring. This man overcame so many obscticles, that the other fighters would never know about, and at the end of the day CHUNKS of this doode's money goes to the people. So wheres the respect? its always whos better than him, and who his next fight is gonna be, and how hes gonna cheat them, and how theyre boutta beat on him! To me, the fairest fight would be against Maywether. PBF got defense skills, but he just waits around for openings, he dont fight! He dont care about nobody but PBF. IMO he aint fought nobody with credentials, he fought Marquez? When Pac fought Marquez he wasnt NOWHERE near where he is now.. Pac will now take Marquez WAY WORSE than PBF did. I think Cotto will school PBF! thats a fight i wanna see happen soon. you guys keep naming fighters much bigger and stronger than manny.. you guys might as well talk about KLITSCHO already. HAHAHA.. come on guys, these threads always end up the same.. just say congratulations, and talk about the fight that just happened. [dance]

--------------------
"I aint no crip, but i bleed blue..."

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by AbominableSnoman...:
credit should be given where credit is due! I think most people that had all the stuff to say about manny getting his ass handed to him by cotto needs to realize just how good manny is. you dont get all them belts by luck? how do yal not see manny's skills? anyways... how many of all these other fighters stepped up in so many weight divisions? how many of them have beat so many other fighters in higher weight divisions.... Pacman dont talk no crap about nobody, he fights whoever they put in front of him in the ring. This man overcame so many obscticles, that the other fighters would never know about, and at the end of the day CHUNKS of this doode's money goes to the people. So wheres the respect? its always whos better than him, and who his next fight is gonna be, and how hes gonna cheat them, and how theyre boutta beat on him! To me, the fairest fight would be against Maywether. PBF got defense skills, but he just waits around for openings, he dont fight! He dont care about nobody but PBF. IMO he aint fought nobody with credentials, he fought Marquez? When Pac fought Marquez he wasnt NOWHERE near where he is now.. Pac will now take Marquez WAY WORSE than PBF did. I think Cotto will school PBF! thats a fight i wanna see happen soon. you guys keep naming fighters much bigger and stronger than manny.. you guys might as well talk about KLITSCHO already. HAHAHA.. come on guys, these threads always end up the same.. just say congratulations, and talk about the fight that just happened. [dance]

No doubt I gave him his due. but I also see what it is for what it is too. No other fighter has fought at so many match weights that I can think of in recent memory. Not saying the outcome would have been different. But to me it is a unfair practice. If you are fight at welter do so. I agree with your assessment of Mayweather too. I would like to see him fight legitimate welters. But we all know he chases checks not the best fighters. So what i would say is these promoters need to up their game with their fighters. Get the name instead of trying to make a name with Floyd. We all know he is not gonna do that. but no doubt he will fight anyone.

On Manny fighting anyone I tend to disagree. He could have chosen to fight Mosely for a belt or Berto for a belt. But.... Both of those was more of a mountain to climb than Cotto. Plus Arum did some dangling in that as well. But Manny could have pushed for Mosely. That would have been THE best fight from a fight stand point if he wanted a belt in his 7th weight class. But Manny went with the check (like Mayweather would have). Do I fault him? No. But do I see it for what it is? yes. The road of less resistance for bargaining leverage on Mayweather.

So not to take anything from Manny, but I am not giving him the maximum either. Either drop down to the lower weight classes, or topple the true elite of the class. Then I will give him that credit (from a boxing perspective). I guess you would have considered RJJ a capable heavyweight champ too then after he beat Ruiz. Same thing, road of less resistance for a mark in history. After he relinquished because he would not be able to hang in that division. Same with Manny.

9165pt0
¯
Member # 7625

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9165pt0  Ford pictures for 9165pt0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mayweather hasnt fought nebody??? hmm i have to disagree wit dat. im not a big mayweather fan, but i give him credit. he had to be the "bad guy" for years, just to get ppl to fight him and get a payday. there was a time when no1 wanted to even give him a chance. im talkin bout 7-9 years ago. so for him to only want big money fights now, is understandble. he did what he had to do. i give him his credit, his skills are way beyond ne1 at dis point. but i give pacman his credit as well, dis guy can just plain out fight. altho the weight issue is a lil discouraging 4 me. but the guys who fite him know the deal up front, so they shud b prepared. neways i doubt either will ever get their full credit in forums on the internet. bcuz no matter who u fight and who u beat, theres always gon b nut riders n naysayers. its wat makes it interesting.

but there was a time when pbf fought any top guy that wud give him a shot: carlos genara, angel manfredy, diego corrales, carlos hernandez, jesus chavez, jose luis castillo twice, phillip ndou. this was years ago.

his last 7 fights were gatti, sharmba mitchell, judah, baldmoir, dlh, hatton, jmm.

and pacman has been suprising ppl since he fought Lehlohonolo Ledwaba in 2001. ne1 remember watching dat fite? i sure do.

pacman vs. pbf needs to happen for the good of boxing. id also like to c paul williams vs sugar shane. we can only hope.

[ November 16, 2009, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: 9165pt0 ]

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Yea there is way too much posturing in boxing these days. It really sucks for the fans of the sport. Me personally I have my faves, but I am a fan of the entire sport more than a fan of a certain fighter. I miss the days where you get the feeling that some of these guys would fight in a phone booth for free. Now a days too many sanctioning bodies, too many promoters, too many junior this, super that and too many alphabet belts. I just think it sucks that you can be considered the king of the mountain when you have not fought the best or stiffest competition out there. Manny has achieved some lofty goals and is a hall of famer. There was just more profound matches out there for his this time around. Instead of using cotto for his fans and the money they would spend.

And you are right....Mayweather earned the right to be picky. It just does not help boxing. He used to line em up and knock em down. Now they just line up. He is the gate keeper to the P4P welter weight title IMO.

[ November 16, 2009, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: N8 ]

rmadison007
¯
Member # 8670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmadison007  Ford pictures for rmadison007    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Manny is the most entertaining and exciting fighter today...He has an admirable personality and his accomplishment are second to known...Now with that out of the way...Manny followed Floyd Mayweather in moving up divisions for bigger paychecks...Both of his fights at higher weights were against opponents who recently lost to Floyd Mayweather(except the most recent,Cotto or as N8 puts it the David Diaz of the welterweight division)...Not only that Floyd is overall undefeated...I really do not like how people believe that Mayweather and Pacquiao are any different as fighters...They both hand pick their opponents to create matchups that highlight their strengths by exploiting their opponents glaring weaknesses...The only difference is the way they do it...Pacquiao has superior power and Floyd has superior defense...The average fan and MMA enthusiast gravitate toward Manny's style because it is crowd pleasing, while most boxing enthusiast pick Mayweather's style because there is no boxer more technically sound than him in boxing...Everything he does in the ring is "Pretty"...Both are equally quick and Floyd has a small size advantage, maybe 2" and 10-15lbs naturally...If you have ever got in the ring before you would love to box like Mayweather rather than Pacquiao...I guarantee you if Manny could adapt to Mayweather's Defensive style he would instantly because as fast as Manny is
in his exchanges and transitions 90% of the time he is moving both hands leaving himself extremely vulnerable and is hit 10 times more than PBF...I guarantee that glaring weakness will be exploited by PBF...Not a single boxer beside Manny is willing to get punched in the face to satisfy his fans...If I was a boxer my fights also would be boring because regardless of how much you paid to watch me fight you would not be the one getting hit...Getting hit more to make the fight more exciting and entertaining is ridiculous...Mayweather's style is boxing...if you want to watch people trade watch MMA...

N8, Williams lack of marketability and draw is the reason he does not get a shot with any welterweights...He needs to create a buzz or catch a break because there is too much risk for all of the top welterweights to fight a bigger, taller fighter like Williams without making a minimum of $13-$15 million and i do not think that Williams can help draw that type of money, nor do I see any of the promotion companies believing that they can sell a fight with him as a headliner...Too much risk, not enough reward...I would not pay $54.99 to watch that fight...I would watch it on HBO or Showtime though...

[ November 16, 2009, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: rmadison007 ]

9165pt0
¯
Member # 7625

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9165pt0  Ford pictures for 9165pt0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yup u pretty much hit the nail on da head n8. but hey atleast theres been some decently matched hugh fights lately. it mite not b wat the true boxing fans wanna watch, but it does sell tix to ppl who werent into the sport nemore. damn dlh lost me money, wit his quittin ass. but i give him credit for makin fights with pbf and pacman. they were good for boxing. now dat dlh is gone, look whos taking the stage. pbf and pac. things are looking up. but i sure wud have liked to c paul vs pavlik
Rigo5.0
¯
Member # 5247

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

No doubt I gave him his due. but I also see what it is for what it is too. No other fighter has fought at so many match weights that I can think of in recent memory. Not saying the outcome would have been different. But to me it is a unfair practice. If you are fight at welter do so. I agree with your assessment of Mayweather too. I would like to see him fight legitimate welters. But we all know he chases checks not the best fighters. So what i would say is these promoters need to up their game with their fighters. Get the name instead of trying to make a name with Floyd. We all know he is not gonna do that. but no doubt he will fight anyone.

On Manny fighting anyone I tend to disagree. He could have chosen to fight Mosely for a belt or Berto for a belt. But.... Both of those was more of a mountain to climb than Cotto. Plus Arum did some dangling in that as well. But Manny could have pushed for Mosely. That would have been THE best fight from a fight stand point if he wanted a belt in his 7th weight class. But Manny went with the check (like Mayweather would have). Do I fault him? No. But do I see it for what it is? yes. The road of less resistance for bargaining leverage on Mayweather.

So not to take anything from Manny, but I am not giving him the maximum either. Either drop down to the lower weight classes, or topple the true elite of the class. Then I will give him that credit (from a boxing perspective). I guess you would have considered RJJ a capable heavyweight champ too then after he beat Ruiz. Same thing, road of less resistance for a mark in history. After he relinquished because he would not be able to hang in that division. Same with Manny.

I get what your saying but it's not like they're fighting at 130...
This dude is adding weight to move up as well; whats so unfair about meeting halfway???
We have to be reasonable and understand that in order for these fights to happen, this is the most sensible option.
Jogging with an added 15 lbs of weight is so much more difficult... can't imagine going 12 rounds against the best the world being a breeze.

[ November 16, 2009, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: Rigo5.0 ]

--------------------
91 5.0 [331|T56]
87 Grand National
02 Z06
08 Challenger SRT8
13 Shelby GT500
00 Lightning
14 Camaro SS

Page: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com