Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Looking for sport bike....suggestions? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Looking for sport bike....suggestions?
exchp6400
¯
Member # 4803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for exchp6400  Ford pictures for exchp6400    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking to buy first bike and kind of need some suggestions on what to get. I've managed to narrow my criteria down to...

-Getting a 600 cc
-Yamaha, Honda, Gxsr

What do you guys think? Should I get new or used?

--------------------
87 Buick Turbo T | 90 GT | 93 Typhoon

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How did you narrow down your criteria?

You really have to get on a bike to feel which one is right for you. I started with a Ninja 250 and moved up to an F4i.

600c bikes except maybe a sv650 are are not beginner friendly. You could learn on one and many have but I'd take the safe route and put the ego aside and learn on a smaller bike. Even a 250 has enough power to kill you and put your balls in place. I wouldn't recommend an r6 or a gixxer, they are not forgiving at all.

87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just sold an 03 Honda CBR for cheap. You missed a great deal for only 3500. If I were you, I would definitely feel the bike first like the above person stated. I disagree on the 250 though. You would be wasting your money. I bought my fiance a 250, she rode it for about 3 months and was already to move up. That is why I bought the 600 for her. Then she just got bored of riding all together. If you do get a 600, keep in mind, they are quick and very dangerous. Make sure you take your time getting familiar with the bike for quite some time. I have been riding my 07 CBR for 2 years and still am not considered to be a pro rider. Also, make sure and visit Ride2die.com to remind yourself on safety first. I visit it every once in a while to put myself in check. Good luck on your purchase. By the way, I am a Honda fan, so of course I would recommend the Honda. The 07's were one of the best years to get, so if you can score an 07 for cheap, you are good to go. Of course, the Suzuki and Yamaha guys will tell you those are the bikes to get. Get what you like the best. All of the bikes are of good quality and you should have no problem with any of them.

[ October 22, 2009, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: 95GTConvtACE ]

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Posts: 1652 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
89 FAKE SNAKE
¯
Member # 4531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 FAKE SNAKE  Ford pictures for 89 FAKE SNAKE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 95GTConvtACE:
I just sold an 03 Honda CBR for cheap. You missed a great deal for only 3500. If I were you, I would definitely feel the bike first like the above person stated. I disagree on the 250 though. You would be wasting your money. I bought my fiance a 250, she rode it for about 3 months and was already to move up. That is why I bought the 600 for her. Then she just got bored of riding all together. If you do get a 600, keep in mind, they are quick and very dangerous. Make sure you take your time getting familiar with the bike for quite some time. I have been riding my 07 CBR for 2 years and still am not considered to be a pro rider. Also, make sure and visit Ride2die.com to remind yourself on safety first. I visit it every once in a while to put myself in check. Good luck on your purchase. By the way, I am a Honda fan, so of course I would recommend the Honda. The 07's were one of the best years to get, so if you can score an 07 for cheap, you are good to go. Of course, the Suzuki and Yamaha guys will tell you those are the bikes to get. Get what you like the best. All of the bikes are of good quality and you should have no problem with any of them.

[worship] [patriot] ya the website i still look at and been riding for yrs...and ya yamaha all the way..lmao..go by how YOU feel on the bike..not looks or wha people say...like gsxr r better for somewha shorter people cuz they sit lower..etc...

--------------------
90 COUPE
01 R1 (stock)
04 XR-50(stroked)
06 TT-R50E
SRA & PWA member

exchp6400
¯
Member # 4803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for exchp6400  Ford pictures for exchp6400    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks all for advice. I don't think I'll be spending money on anything smaller than 600, nothing to do with ego but I know I'll be upgrading. I don't consider myself to be careless, nor do I plan on testing my bike out to see how fast it can go anytime soon.

I also have some friends who started with gsxrs (600) off the bat and have done fine...so far.

Also, I've been looking at a lot of bikes on craigslist and realize some are salvaged and lower the price considerably. Should I stay away from salvaged bikes?

JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think it's completely pointless to start out with a 250, you'll get rid of it so fast. 600 is definitely the way to go for a beginner bike. Good choice [patriot]
Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
¯
Member # 9375

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96232  Ford pictures for 96232    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I learned on a 90 cbr600 and had no problem with the bike being to fast...
Posts: 118 | From: Pine Grove | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
buell's are damn near 50% off brand new at the dealers right now because the brand is dead, but harley is covering the warranty on them.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think you should ride a smaller bike first...maybe you can borrow/rent a 250cc or 500cc, or even a dirtbike... just so you "feel" what riding is like. Better yet, take the MSF course and you'll get to ride there!

Once you get the braking and shifting down fairly well, you can then buy your 600cc bike and learn the bike.

heres how I started:
250cc Ninja > 500cc Ninja > 96 F3 > 00 ZX6R > 03 R6 > 03 600RR > 03 GSXR > 06 R6...still dont feel that I have "maxed out" the ability of a 600cc. [burnout]

[ October 22, 2009, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: SydeWaySix ]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

1991CHP
¯
Member # 5097

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1991CHP  Ford pictures for 1991CHP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by essasin:
How did you narrow down your criteria?

You really have to get on a bike to feel which one is right for you. I started with a Ninja 250 and moved up to an F4i.

600c bikes except maybe a sv650 are are not beginner friendly. You could learn on one and many have but I'd take the safe route and put the ego aside and learn on a smaller bike. Even a 250 has enough power to kill you and put your balls in place. I wouldn't recommend an r6 or a gixxer, they are not forgiving at all.

I agree and listen to this guy. I used to race AFM and AMA. I'll let anyone know the same, if your already done with a 250, you ain't riding that bike the way your suposed to. I along with a lot of my frinds can take anyone on a 1000, 600 or 750 and lap them on a 250. Catch is, 250's look like crap, thats why you want a 600, 750.... Way better looking bike. I know a lot of bike companies are making more streemline looking 500's and what not.

Be safe.

--------------------
Asphalt Mafia: Founder.

I felt guilty once, but she woke up half way through it.

http://gotbluemilk.com/web050516/24/index.html

Posts: 815 | From: S.F. / SACRAMENTO | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
exchp6400
¯
Member # 4803

quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
I think you should ride a smaller bike first...maybe you can borrow/rent a 250cc or 500cc, or even a dirtbike... just so you "feel" what riding is like. Better yet, take the MSF course and you'll get to ride there!

Once you get the braking and shifting down fairly well, you can then buy your 600cc bike and learn the bike.

heres how I started:
250cc Ninja > 500cc Ninja > 96 F3 > 00 ZX6R > 03 R6 > 03 600RR > 03 GSXR > 06 R6...still dont feel that I have "maxed out" the ability of a 600cc. [burnout]

I already completed the MSF course so I'm not going into this blind..lol.
89 FAKE SNAKE
¯
Member # 4531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 FAKE SNAKE  Ford pictures for 89 FAKE SNAKE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
these days the 250s 500s etc are all startin to look like 600s..i started on a r1 and been fine even tho most think im still goin to kill myself...its all on how u RESPECT the bike..first day ur not aware or scared is when u go down..and bad thing is there is 2 type of riders...one that have fallen..and one who are goin to fall...

damn spoke to soon...RIP

Body found near motorcycle on Highway 101 off-ramp in San Martin

Associated Press

Posted: 10/22/2009 01:53:44 PM PDT
Updated: 10/22/2009 01:53:45 PM PDT

A body was found near a motorcycle on the East San Martin Avenue off-ramp from U.S. Highway 101 just south of Morgan Hill this afternoon, according to the California Highway Patrol.

Caltrans reported the incident to the CHP just before noon, a CHP dispatcher said.

Authorities are investigating whether the person died in a crash, a dispatcher said.

The off-ramp was blocked as of about 1 p.m. and was expected to remain closed until at least 2 p.m.

[ October 22, 2009, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: 89 FAKE SNAKE ]

--------------------
90 COUPE
01 R1 (stock)
04 XR-50(stroked)
06 TT-R50E
SRA & PWA member

NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
start on an older 600 or a new 250cc or 500cc. If you start on a 600 you will miss out on alot of good riding habbits because you will be thinking more about being cool. lol Shit i started on a new 600 and that shit hurt. [Wink]
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NorCalRydaz:
start on an older 600 or a new 250cc or 500cc. If you start on a 600 you will miss out on alot of good riding habbits because you will be thinking more about being cool. lol Shit i started on a new 600 and that shit hurt. [Wink]

Yea, start on a $500 250cc or 500cc...you'll be wearing a helmet anyways so no females will make fun of you [Razz] Seriously though, you need to start low to get into good riding habits. ALso, if you fall, you wont be too concerned since the bike was just $500 [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

87Fox916
¯
Member # 6399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87Fox916  Ford pictures for 87Fox916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Topete:

Also, I've been looking at a lot of bikes on craigslist and realize some are salvaged and lower the price considerably. Should I stay away from salvaged bikes?

Me personally, I wouldn't trust a salvaged bike. Even most used bikes might have been through wrecks and you wouldn't even know it. Most people who crash their bikes, don't report it unless it is in a major accident. Bikes are easy to fix up. Man, you should have bought the bike I just sold, what a deal. Good luck.

--------------------
87 Mustang GT

Posts: 1652 | From: SACRAMENTO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
exchp6400
¯
Member # 4803

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for exchp6400  Ford pictures for exchp6400    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for replies....I'm still in research and advice mode so taking everything in heavy consideration.

--------------------
87 Buick Turbo T | 90 GT | 93 Typhoon

Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
honestly what i did was picked up an 80s shadow for cheap to just commute on and learn how to not kill myself. was a good and easy bike to ride. then when i got rid of that i picked up a 99 cbr 600 and havent had any issues at all. id suggest something a lil bit slower than a crotch rocket first just to error on the safe side

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
----------------------------
90 gt nothin special, just your average bolt ons...OUT TO PASTURE
69 fastback project car

1991CHP
¯
Member # 5097

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1991CHP  Ford pictures for 1991CHP    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Ty:
honestly what i did was picked up an 80s shadow for cheap to just commute on and learn how to not kill myself. was a good and easy bike to ride. then when i got rid of that i picked up a 99 cbr 600 and havent had any issues at all. id suggest something a lil bit slower than a crotch rocket first just to error on the safe side

SWEET!!! 80's Shadow. [patriot] Now your talking.

--------------------
Asphalt Mafia: Founder.

I felt guilty once, but she woke up half way through it.

http://gotbluemilk.com/web050516/24/index.html

Posts: 815 | From: S.F. / SACRAMENTO | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you really want to learn how to ride. Pickup a 250-500cc.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hell yea that thing was actually kinda cool i turned it into a bobber and put dirtbike bars on it and cuz the exhaust

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
----------------------------
90 gt nothin special, just your average bolt ons...OUT TO PASTURE
69 fastback project car

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't recommend a 250, you will get bored off it QUICK. It's like buying a honda civic at first.. Yeah you can learn how to ride but you will get bored in a short moment..

Get a 600 (r6, zx6r, gsxr etc), take time to know your bike and understand your bike.

Me personally never rode a bike before i got my R6, the day i bought it, i never rode a bike nor had my license.. I just bought it then started learning on it, then got my M1..

Went down twice but thats how i learned to respect the bike...

And like how above mentioned "go to the dealer and see what you feel comfortable on" and "there are two types of riders, ones that went down and ones that are going down"..

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AL STOCK:
I wouldn't recommend a 250, you will get bored off it QUICK. It's like buying a honda civic at first.. Yeah you can learn how to ride but you will get bored in a short moment..

Get a 600 (r6, zx6r, gsxr etc), take time to know your bike and understand your bike.

Me personally never rode a bike before i got my R6, the day i bought it, i never rode a bike nor had my license.. I just bought it then started learning on it, then got my M1..

Went down twice but thats how i learned to respect the bike...

And like how above mentioned "go to the dealer and see what you feel comfortable on" and "there are two types of riders, ones that went down and ones that are going down"..

You will only get bored of it because your not really "riding it". Head to a track day. The guys who know how to ride rip shit up on a 250CC. There is no way you can be bored on a 250cc if your really riding it.

Just being picky, but I hate that quote. You can use that for everything in life. Ive rode with guys that have 20+ yrs riding experience and have yet to go down.

[ October 22, 2009, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: adower ]

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Stangs R Us
¯
Member # 4495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangs R Us  Ford pictures for Stangs R Us    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a 600 is fine to start with not to fast or to slow or to heavy , a honda cbr600rr is a great bike
Posts: 3100 | From: sacramento | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
SHOalex
¯
Member # 7720

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHOalex  Ford pictures for SHOalex    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How about one of these badboys?

-

--------------------
BAM! POW! Right in the kisser.

89 FAKE SNAKE
¯
Member # 4531

id mob tha..i lookin to get a zuma or ysr [worship]  -  -

--------------------
90 COUPE
01 R1 (stock)
04 XR-50(stroked)
06 TT-R50E
SRA & PWA member

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com